Image ImageImage Image

PG: It's getting ugly out there

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,600

Re: PG: It's getting ugly out there 

Post#201 » by Ice Man » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:01 pm

MrSparkle wrote:https://www.nba.com/bulls/features/kris-dunn-narrowly-misses-all-defensive-team-honors-despite-standout-campaign

True, but losing Dunn doesn't change the fact that Boylen's 2020 squad hung on OK during the 4th quarter, although his scheme is alleged to have been ineffective late in games, while Billy's teams have in fact collapsed late.
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#202 » by CobyWhite0 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Ice Man wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:https://www.nba.com/bulls/features/kris-dunn-narrowly-misses-all-defensive-team-honors-despite-standout-campaign

True, but losing Dunn doesn't change the fact that Boylen's 2020 squad hung on OK during the 4th quarter, although his scheme is alleged to have been ineffective late in games, while Billy's teams have in fact collapsed late.

I don't know how to look it up, but could it possibly be that Boylen's teams were already losing by double-digits when they reached most 4th quarters? They certainly had more games where they were way down in the 4th, which would seem to indicate that our opponents wouldn't be playing their starters as much? Wouldn't be trying as hard, since they have a comfortable lead?

We are certainly blowing more 4th quarter leads this season, but it's also certainly because we actually have 4th quarter leads to blow.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#203 » by MrSparkle » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:12 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:
Ice Man wrote:

I don't know how to look it up, but could it possibly be that Boylen's teams were already losing by double-digits when they reached most 4th quarters? They certainly had more games where they were way down in the 4th, which would seem to indicate that our opponents wouldn't be playing their starters as much? Wouldn't be trying as hard, since they have a comfortable lead?

We are certainly blowing more 4th quarter leads this season, but it's also certainly because we actually have 4th quarter leads to blow.

I dunno - I wouldn't speculate that far, though that's what my eyes and memory tell me. I don't want to go crazy trying to argue the point. The counter-gang isn't wrong: last year's defense was better. I just don't think it has much to do with coaching ability. Last year's coach and FO stressed defense first, and relied on defensive guys with no futures in Chicago. After Dunn went down, Arci and eventually Shaq's minutes went up. This year, the FO and coach said plain and directly that they want to work towards being a fast-paced, offensive-minded team that is fun to watch, with a lot of ball movement. The latter is absolutely true. The pace was true until the trades, which obviously turned into a polar-opposite low-post team.

Prior to TD, our defense was closely on par with last year's while this year, while we've had better offense, shooting % (until the TD) and enormously improved rebounding.

There are 3 guys who can probably put some good pressure with blitzes and double-team traps, and that'd be Theis, Troy and Pat. I'm not at all opposed to trying some different looks as the losses pile up (clearly things aren't working as intended), but I also wasn't opposed at all to what Donovan did the first 40 games of the season. I was strongly opposed to what Boylen did for his entire COVID-shortened season. The 20 mpg defensive effectiveness of Dunn/Carter/Sato was about the only highlight of the year, and there's no argument for me that it worked on that end until their injuries. Assuming you're okay losing on their offensive contribution: Wendell and Dunn gave us 33 PPG per 100 possessions. This year's Wendell and Coby (at starting PG) gave us 44 PPG. Under Boylen, virtually ever remaining guy's points per possession went down, besides Zach.

Also, I keep repeating it, but Boylen had a full off-season of prep. He had been with every guy on the team since they joined, either as an assistant or interim coach. He knew the personnel. Thad, Sato were the primary new additions, and they are coachable veterans. He had a full training camp. No mid-season trades (just injuries, like Donovan). If Donovan's defense looks like hot garbage next Nov. or Dec. - then I buy every criticism of his defensive coaching.

Return to Chicago Bulls