Image ImageImage Image

Really fitting: MJ to present Kobe Bryant HOF induction

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,937
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Really fitting: MJ to present Kobe Bryant HOF induction 

Post#1 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:04 pm

With all the disappointment we are going I thought this deserved it's own thread honoring Kobe's memory. And who better to present him than the GOAT.

Read on Twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,699

Re: Really fitting: MJ to present Kobe Bryant HOF induction 

Post#2 » by dougthonus » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:08 pm

Interesting, two hall of fame enshrinements this year, one in may (for 2020 class) and one in sept for 2021 class.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,132

Post#3 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:21 pm

if it's anything like MJ's mega bitter HOF speech, I don't really expect good things. but maybe MJ has the good sense to not say some **** like "he was a clone of me except worse in every aspect"
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,769

Post#4 » by jc23 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:44 pm

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:if it's anything like MJ's mega bitter HOF speech, I don't really expect good things. but maybe MJ has the good sense to not say some **** like "he was a clone of me except worse in every aspect"

he gave a good speech at Kobes funeral, but i liked his HOF speech as well.
Be curious, Not judgmental
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,169

Post#5 » by HomoSapien » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:01 pm

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:if it's anything like MJ's mega bitter HOF speech, I don't really expect good things. but maybe MJ has the good sense to not say some **** like "he was a clone of me except worse in every aspect"

His memorial speech was good.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,699

Post#6 » by dougthonus » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:32 am

I think he has enough sense not to do that, but yeah, his HOF speech was just awful. Not surprising though, it was very on brand.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,492

Post#7 » by DuckIII » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:04 am

jc23 wrote:

His hall of fame speech was a disgrace and confirmed every negative thing we’ve learned about MJ as a person.

I trust he will have the good sense to make Kobe’s speech entirely about Kobe, but a part of me is a little concerned.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#8 » by jake_swivel » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:25 am

DuckIII wrote:His hall of fame speech was a disgrace and confirmed every negative thing we’ve learned about MJ as a person.

I trust he will have the good sense to make Kobe’s speech entirely about Kobe, but a part of me is a little concerned.

He even made the Kobe memorial speech about himself, the narcissist. Last line:

“I promise you from this day forward, I will live with the memories of knowing that I had a little brother and I tried to help in every way I could.”

Yeah, ok MJ.
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 461

Post#9 » by step » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 am

And who better to present him than the GOAT.

Magic? I dunno, almost anyone else.

They don't often to multiple presenters right?
One can hope there's a good speechwriter assisting in this case.
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,585

Post#10 » by Jimako10 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:52 am

I freakin loved MJ's HoF speech. That was the real MJ, petty till the end!
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,769

Post#11 » by jc23 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:08 am

DuckIII wrote:
jc23 wrote:

His hall of fame speech was a disgrace and confirmed every negative thing we’ve learned about MJ as a person.

eh, i bet Kobe loved it, which is why MJ is giving this speech.
Be curious, Not judgmental
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,861

Post#12 » by bledredwine » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:09 pm

It’ll be great, just like at Kobe’s funeral. MJ’s HOF speech aim was to inspire people via discussing his hurtles. Sure, it brought out his competitive side, but there’s no reason that he’d have to do that at Kobe’s.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,921

Post#13 » by Wingy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:41 pm

Suppose it’s what Kobe wanted? Would be surprised if he and Vanessa never had that conversation. I would’ve guessed Pau high up on his list.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,286

Post#14 » by Jstock12 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:04 pm

I like it. Kobe always looked up to MJ. Now MJ will be the one looking up. Even if MJ does make it about himself somewhat, I'm sure Kobe would appreciate that little bit of cockiness/narcisism. They really were similar in some ways.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#15 » by Dieselbound&Down » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:06 pm

I'd like to hear Jerry West given a few minutes.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#16 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:15 pm

Very cool because I'm pretty sure Kobe would have asked him to do it if he was alive still.
No one better.

Jimako10 wrote:I freakin loved MJ's HoF speech. That was the real MJ, petty till the end!

Agreed, I love that he's still bitter and seems like he still wants to prove something. That's pure MJ.

I'm hopeful they induct his daughter and her teammate that died too-
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,199

Post#17 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:35 pm

Jstock12 wrote:I like it. Kobe always looked up to MJ. Now MJ will be the one looking up. Even if MJ does make it about himself somewhat, I'm sure Kobe would appreciate that little bit of cockiness/narcisism. They really were similar in some ways.

In someways? Kobe ate poop his whole career by everyone (in fact he was pretty much hated by a large group until the Decision when LeBron took the mantle) for being too much like MJ. I never understood that.... lets see who else should he look up to except the greatest at his position and the game ever? What is most amazing is how good of a facisimile Kobe did of MJ. Damn many have tried, everyone wanted to be like Mike, Kobe is the only one to ever come close. Kobe had MJ's drive and focus. While true he never reached full MJ he got as close as someone likely could as MJ is a one and only. Sadly Kobe's best "human" years seemed ahead of him and that is the tragedy.

I love to bag on MJ's off the court stuff, its fun to see your hero's have human traits (but even his faults are godlike bad lol) My "adopted" father was on his security detail and had plenty of behind the scenes with him and he was just fine as a person overall too although when he was rough MJ well the legends exist. His HOF speech was bad for sure, but MJ isn't some completely out of touch monster either that is going to take the podium respecting who was maybe his biggest fan and someone he views as a true contemporary and mess this up. I just don't see that. While he be snide and remind everyone coyly that he is the greatest? Yeah I would expect something to slip in there but that's Larry Birds fault for anointing MJ a GOD lol. I really can't think of a better person than MJ to do the speech plain and simple. Kobe's greatest influence and the guy who came closest to MJ... makes perfect sense to me.

Mind you I am not saying Kobe is #2 in GOAT just because he was closest to MJ, There are players still ahead of Kobe on that list but as far as emulating MJ no one is close IMHO.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#18 » by League Circles » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:33 pm

DuckIII wrote:
jc23 wrote:

No big deal but I was always surprised at your harsh take on MJ's Hall of Fame speech. I really liked it and it made me like him more as a person lol. I guess it's just a difference of interpretation and perception on what he was trying to get across.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Just_Bullz
Veteran
And1: 629

Post#19 » by Just_Bullz » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:16 am

Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Kobe's greatness on the court has been well documented and appreciated by his peers and people from the other industries.

You don't need MJ or anyone to say it again.

All these are just useless hype.

Return to Chicago Bulls