Image ImageImage Image

Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, DASMACKDOWN, dougthonus, Payt10, fleet, GimmeDat, kulaz3000, AshyLarrysDiaper, RedBulls23, Tommy Udo 6

GoBlue72391
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,930
And1: 1,568
Joined: Oct 26, 2009
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#841 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:14 pm

DuckIII wrote:
coldfish wrote:https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2021/

It seems that a lot of the capspace dried up. The teams that could sign Lauri to a big deal outright:
1. NY $67m capspace
2. OKC $62m capspace
3. Spurs $47m capspace
4. Raptors $26m capspace
5. Charlotte $25m capspace

I think NY and Toronto are off that list because they have good PF's. I know little about where OKC is going. Charlotte would have to let Zeller and others go for that capspace. I kind of suspect they would prefer to keep Zeller.

This is going to be far more interesting than I thought before. Earlier in the year, it seemed that there was a lot more money available for next year.


OKC seems like the biggest “threat” on that list. You would imagine OKC will start actually putting a team together this summer. When your roster is wide open AND you have your young franchise PG locked in already, Lauri seems a really good fit. His age matches their timeline as well.

Obviously I’m rooting for Lauri to have very few offers to promote a sign and trade or leveraging him into a value contract we can retain as a nice trade piece. But if he’s going to walk I think OKC might be a really nice landing place for Lauri’s career. Might be exactly what he needs.

I still think San Antonio is his best option. If Pop and the Spurs tried and true player development environment can't help him reach his potential then nothing will.
GoBlue72391
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,930
And1: 1,568
Joined: Oct 26, 2009
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#842 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:17 pm

TheStig wrote:
coldfish wrote:https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2021/

It seems that a lot of the capspace dried up. The teams that could sign Lauri to a big deal outright:
1. NY $67m capspace
2. OKC $62m capspace
3. Spurs $47m capspace
4. Raptors $26m capspace
5. Charlotte $25m capspace

I think NY and Toronto are off that list because they have good PF's. I know little about where OKC is going. Charlotte would have to let Zeller and others go for that capspace. I kind of suspect they would prefer to keep Zeller.

This is going to be far more interesting than I thought before. Earlier in the year, it seemed that there was a lot more money available for next year.

I can't see Lauri playing for Thibs. He'd get 10mpg and give poor Thibs a stroke.

OKC will take on salary for picks.

I know the Spurs are rumored but I can't see Pop going for him.

Raps and Hornets have better PF's.

I can see someone doing a sign and trade. We'll get someone's shorter deal end of the rotation player. I could see a team like the Celtics going for him.

The same could have been said of Julius Randle too. And Obi Toppin is about as bad of an NBA defender as you can find and Thibs has gradually started trusting him more and more as the season went on and now he's playing him in the playoffs.

Thibs gets the most out of his players. I have no doubts that Lauri would not only have a sizeable role on the Knicks, but that he would play better for the Knicks than he did for us. Just about every player improves under Thibs and I see no reason why Lauri would be any different.

Whether they're actually interested in him is a different matter entirely. He and Randle seem like an awkward fit since neither seem capable of playing SF/C on a full time basis.
User avatar
TheStig
RealGM
Posts: 13,969
And1: 3,584
Joined: Jun 18, 2004
Location: Get rid of GarPaxDorf

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#843 » by TheStig » Sat May 29, 2021 12:40 am

GoBlue72391 wrote:
TheStig wrote:
coldfish wrote:https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2021/

It seems that a lot of the capspace dried up. The teams that could sign Lauri to a big deal outright:
1. NY $67m capspace
2. OKC $62m capspace
3. Spurs $47m capspace
4. Raptors $26m capspace
5. Charlotte $25m capspace

I think NY and Toronto are off that list because they have good PF's. I know little about where OKC is going. Charlotte would have to let Zeller and others go for that capspace. I kind of suspect they would prefer to keep Zeller.

This is going to be far more interesting than I thought before. Earlier in the year, it seemed that there was a lot more money available for next year.

I can't see Lauri playing for Thibs. He'd get 10mpg and give poor Thibs a stroke.

OKC will take on salary for picks.

I know the Spurs are rumored but I can't see Pop going for him.

Raps and Hornets have better PF's.

I can see someone doing a sign and trade. We'll get someone's shorter deal end of the rotation player. I could see a team like the Celtics going for him.

The same could have been said of Julius Randle too. And Obi Toppin is about as bad of an NBA defender as you can find and Thibs has gradually started trusting him more and more as the season went on and now he's playing him in the playoffs.

Thibs gets the most out of his players. I have no doubts that Lauri would not only have a sizeable role on the Knicks, but that he would play better for the Knicks than he did for us. Just about every player improves under Thibs and I see no reason why Lauri would be any different.

Whether they're actually interested in him is a different matter entirely. He and Randle seem like an awkward fit since neither seem capable of playing SF/C on a full time basis.

He just doesn't look like he's trying. I think that would drive Thibs nuts and it would be a non starter. I'm sure he'd be better there because he wouldn't see the floor if he wasn't.
User avatar
PaKii94
General Manager
Posts: 8,472
And1: 4,695
Joined: Aug 22, 2013
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#844 » by PaKii94 » Sat May 29, 2021 1:17 am

Y'all are acting like Lauri is some malcontent. He has been constantly praised to be a team player by all of his coaches. Both Pop and thibs would love to have a competent sniper on their squad
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 15,975
And1: 8,184
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#845 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat May 29, 2021 5:11 am

PaKii94 wrote:Y'all are acting like Lauri is some malcontent. He has been constantly praised to be a team player by all of his coaches. Both Pop and thibs would love to have a competent sniper on their squad


There is no way New York will give Markkanen a big contract. Isaiah Thomas isn’t running them anymore. They already have a better PF and no way is Lauri starting at center for them with Thibs focus on defense. So his demand to start will not be met. So we can safely rule out Knicks, but I would pleasantly surprised if they gave him a huge contract because that would be a huge mistake when they seem to be headed in the right direction.
User avatar
coldfish
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 53,113
And1: 24,187
Joined: Jun 11, 2004
Location: Right in the middle
   

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#846 » by coldfish » Sat May 29, 2021 11:45 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
There is no way New York will give Markkanen a big contract. Isaiah Thomas isn’t running them anymore. They already have a better PF and no way is Lauri starting at center for them with Thibs focus on defense. So his demand to start will not be met. So we can safely rule out Knicks, but I would pleasantly surprised if they gave him a huge contract because that would be a huge mistake when they seem to be headed in the right direction.


Knicks' best position is PF. They aren't even slightly in the running and it really has nothing to do with any theoretical Thibs / Lauri thing.

Right now I would say the team to look at is San Antonio by a long shot.

I wonder if a double sign and trade could be in order where the Bulls get Derozan. There doesn't seem to be a lot of teams looking for him. San Antonio doesn't seem to want him.
Indomitable
RealGM
Posts: 22,867
And1: 5,161
Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Location: Yelzenbah!
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#847 » by Indomitable » Sat May 29, 2021 12:49 pm

coldfish wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
There is no way New York will give Markkanen a big contract. Isaiah Thomas isn’t running them anymore. They already have a better PF and no way is Lauri starting at center for them with Thibs focus on defense. So his demand to start will not be met. So we can safely rule out Knicks, but I would pleasantly surprised if they gave him a huge contract because that would be a huge mistake when they seem to be headed in the right direction.


Knicks' best position is PF. They aren't even slightly in the running and it really has nothing to do with any theoretical Thibs / Lauri thing.

Right now I would say the team to look at is San Antonio by a long shot.

I wonder if a double sign and trade could be in order where the Bulls get Derozan. There doesn't seem to be a lot of teams looking for him. San Antonio doesn't seem to want him.

He would solve the pg problem but would make the defense even worse.
:banghead:
User avatar
Louri
Senior
Posts: 571
And1: 321
Joined: Jun 28, 2017
 

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#848 » by Louri » Sat May 29, 2021 5:28 pm

Seems that Cowleys Dallas report was false. Lauri also "twitter liked" this tweet from his agent.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
"When he’s not shooting a 3P, Lauri is the worst player in the NBA. Kornet’s defense and rebounding looks better. It’s crazy." -MrSparkle
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 15,975
And1: 8,184
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#849 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat May 29, 2021 6:37 pm

Louri wrote:Seems that Cowleys Dallas report was false. Lauri also "twitter liked" this tweet from his agent.

Read on Twitter
?s=20


For all we know Lauri wants to remain a Bull. I actually think he does. I doubt he is too excited about the idea moving to San Antonio.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 15,975
And1: 8,184
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#850 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat May 29, 2021 6:38 pm

Indomitable wrote:
coldfish wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
There is no way New York will give Markkanen a big contract. Isaiah Thomas isn’t running them anymore. They already have a better PF and no way is Lauri starting at center for them with Thibs focus on defense. So his demand to start will not be met. So we can safely rule out Knicks, but I would pleasantly surprised if they gave him a huge contract because that would be a huge mistake when they seem to be headed in the right direction.


Knicks' best position is PF. They aren't even slightly in the running and it really has nothing to do with any theoretical Thibs / Lauri thing.

Right now I would say the team to look at is San Antonio by a long shot.

I wonder if a double sign and trade could be in order where the Bulls get Derozan. There doesn't seem to be a lot of teams looking for him. San Antonio doesn't seem to want him.

He would solve the pg problem but would make the defense even worse.



I don’t like running offense through a guy that can’t shoot.
kodo
RealGM
Posts: 14,921
And1: 9,689
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Location: Wrigleyville

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#851 » by kodo » Sat May 29, 2021 7:17 pm

I think the most likely teams interested are San Antonio and Washington. KC reported the team Ak almost had a deal for Lauri with at the deadline was the Wizards, but he was asking an insane price IMO, Wash's 1st round pick.

Washington currently does not start any PF, their best big man is Alex Len. Bertrans is just a dice roll from game to game, he had 0 points 0 3s and 6 fouls last game.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 15,975
And1: 8,184
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#852 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat May 29, 2021 8:09 pm

kodo wrote:I think the most likely teams interested are San Antonio and Washington. KC reported the team Ak almost had a deal for Lauri with at the deadline was the Wizards, but he was asking an insane price IMO, Wash's 1st round pick.

Washington currently does not start any PF, their best big man is Alex Len. Bertrans is just a dice roll from game to game, he had 0 points 0 3s and 6 fouls last game.


Washington has no cap space and nothing we want. Unless they send us Gafford back?!
CobyWhite0
Pro Prospect
Posts: 874
And1: 538
Joined: Dec 28, 2020
 

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#853 » by CobyWhite0 » Sat May 29, 2021 8:40 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
kodo wrote:I think the most likely teams interested are San Antonio and Washington. KC reported the team Ak almost had a deal for Lauri with at the deadline was the Wizards, but he was asking an insane price IMO, Wash's 1st round pick.

Washington currently does not start any PF, their best big man is Alex Len. Bertrans is just a dice roll from game to game, he had 0 points 0 3s and 6 fouls last game.


Washington has no cap space and nothing we want. Unless they send us Gafford back?!


Yeah, only under the unlikely scenario that Beal wants to play for Donovan does WAS have anything to offer.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 15,975
And1: 8,184
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#854 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat May 29, 2021 9:12 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
kodo wrote:I think the most likely teams interested are San Antonio and Washington. KC reported the team Ak almost had a deal for Lauri with at the deadline was the Wizards, but he was asking an insane price IMO, Wash's 1st round pick.

Washington currently does not start any PF, their best big man is Alex Len. Bertrans is just a dice roll from game to game, he had 0 points 0 3s and 6 fouls last game.


Washington has no cap space and nothing we want. Unless they send us Gafford back?!


Yeah, only under the unlikely scenario that Beal wants to play for Donovan does WAS have anything to offer.


I think Beal wanting to play for Donovan is actually likely. He is big fan of Donovan and Zach.9 If he is free agent season and we have the cap space I don’t think it is a long shot. Possibly our most realistic shot at adding another all-star next Summer.
User avatar
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 49,672
And1: 9,487
Joined: Dec 22, 2004
Contact:
 

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#855 » by dougthonus » Sat May 29, 2021 9:20 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:Yeah, only under the unlikely scenario that Beal wants to play for Donovan does WAS have anything to offer.


Have you seen Beal's quotes about Donovan? He played for Donovan for a year in college and said he was the one of the best coaches he ever had and like a second dad to him.

It is not "unlikely" that Beal would want to play for Donovan, he clearly would love to play for Donovan. I don't know that he would love to play for Donovan so much that it overwhelms all other factors. Certainly money, chance to win, teammates, market are probably more important or similarly important. But Donovan is clearly a huge plus when it comes to Beal.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
CobyWhite0
Pro Prospect
Posts: 874
And1: 538
Joined: Dec 28, 2020
 

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#856 » by CobyWhite0 » Sat May 29, 2021 10:08 pm

Yeah, that was worded pretty poorly on my part.

I left out the part about whether or not Beal wants to play for BD badly enough to force a trade here this summer. That's the only question in my mind, I thought it was common knowledge that Beal would love to play for BD.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 15,975
And1: 8,184
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#857 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat May 29, 2021 10:20 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:Yeah, that was worded pretty poorly on my part.

I left out the part about whether or not Beal wants to play for BD badly enough to force a trade here this summer. That's the only question in my mind, I thought it was common knowledge that Beal would love to play for BD.


He doesn’t seem like the type to force a trade. He will just walk after next season or they will trade him preemptively during the season if he let’s him know he likely won’t be back.
CobyWhite0
Pro Prospect
Posts: 874
And1: 538
Joined: Dec 28, 2020
 

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#858 » by CobyWhite0 » Sat May 29, 2021 10:31 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:Yeah, that was worded pretty poorly on my part.

I left out the part about whether or not Beal wants to play for BD badly enough to force a trade here this summer. That's the only question in my mind, I thought it was common knowledge that Beal would love to play for BD.


He doesn’t seem like the type to force a trade. He will just walk after next season or they will trade him preemptively during the season if he let’s him know he likely won’t be back.


Yeah I don't see any way he goes full-out Harden to literally "force" a trade, I think he would do it behind-the-scenes. More of a "strongly worded request" to be traded, and WAS has good reason to trade him instead of losing him for nothing next summer.

If they're actually interested in Lauri, that's a decent start of a trade package.
patryk7754
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,944
And1: 579
Joined: Jan 22, 2012

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#859 » by patryk7754 » Sun May 30, 2021 10:43 pm

how would a Lauri sign and trade look? Can we trade him with other players/assets and what would the cap figure be?
sco
RealGM
Posts: 17,183
And1: 4,875
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Lauri Markkanen Discussion Thread: PT 2 

Post#860 » by sco » Mon May 31, 2021 1:33 pm

On Spurs, I see Olynyk as a better option, better fit, lower cost option for Pops. Not younger, but if I was pops, I'd be looking for my new anchor and saving cap space for that dude before I signed a good, but not great, Lauri.
:clap:

Return to Chicago Bulls