Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Re: OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins 

Post#1801 » by Stratmaster » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:29 pm

Dresden wrote:
CaPiTanAK wrote:https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/david-montgomery-had-telling-post-game-comments-on-justin-fields/

Heat on Nagy continues with star RB Montgomery preferring JF as his QB1.

Where in that clip did Mont. say he preferred JF to Dalton?
He didn't

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#1802 » by the ultimates » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:37 pm

sco wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
CaPiTanAK wrote:I can’t believe that people are excusing Dalton trash performance by looking at his percentage completion and ignoring his trash yards, 0 TD, and 1 interception.

Trubisky is better than this garbage.

What I find equally hilarious and infuriating is that Fields could have run those exact same plays and probably had similar if not better results. The things they ran all game from a passing standpoint aren't just things you run for a shoddy offensive line (although they didn't do a lot of other things to help the line) you run that stuff with you an inexperienced quarterback which Dalton assuredly isn't.

I get the enthusiasm for Fields, but everyone should be able to see that this season's roster wasn't winning that game. We all know that Fields will get plenty of developmental time this season, but I'd prefer that he not get killed because of blown OL assignments and have his rookie year cut short. Giving the OL a few games to, optimistically, figure their sh*t out, will ultimately help Fields' development. I'm betting they'll make the move after week 3, or week 4 at the latest.

The jets and Jaguar's don't have good lines. Lawrence and Wilson are still starting.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#1803 » by sco » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:39 pm

the ultimates wrote:
sco wrote:
the ultimates wrote:

What I find equally hilarious and infuriating is that Fields could have run those exact same plays and probably had similar if not better results. The things they ran all game from a passing standpoint aren't just things you run for a shoddy offensive line (although they didn't do a lot of other things to help the line) you run that stuff with you an inexperienced quarterback which Dalton assuredly isn't.

I get the enthusiasm for Fields, but everyone should be able to see that this season's roster wasn't winning that game. We all know that Fields will get plenty of developmental time this season, but I'd prefer that he not get killed because of blown OL assignments and have his rookie year cut short. Giving the OL a few games to, optimistically, figure their sh*t out, will ultimately help Fields' development. I'm betting they'll make the move after week 3, or week 4 at the latest.

The jets and Jaguar's don't have good lines. Lawrence and Wilson are still starting.

OK. Is it gonna really matter?
:clap:
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,397

Post#1804 » by fleet » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:47 pm

Mr. Tibbs wrote:Apologies if this has been brought up, but one thing (among others) that bugs me about playing Dalton..if the bears had any inclination of landing Fields in the draft, why on earth would we have dished out 10 million for Dalton that could have better served paying Fuller or anyone else to help this trash secondary.

For whatever upgrade Dalton is from Mitch, I feel like if we want to watch a mediocre vet QB lose games for us we have a perfectly capable one in Foles. It really just feels like Dalton is playing so it doesn't look like they spent 10 mil for nothing.

The easy answer is, they had no ability to afford a trade up where Fields was projected to go, so there was no plan at all to trade up for Fields. He inexplicably fell into a range that they could afford. It was snap decision. My theory is that the Bears were probably gonna draft Jones if he fell to 20. That was the quarterback plan. Dalton and Jones, or just Dalton. Fields was no part of the plan until he fell, which was completely unforseen.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#1805 » by MalagaBulls » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:42 pm

Read on Twitter
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#1806 » by bad knees » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:52 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

What's with Lazor and all these quotes that appear to undercut Nagy's approach with Fields? Has anyone listened to these interviews? What is the context? It's wild if he is saying these things in a way that appears to conflict with what Nagy is doing/saying. How is Nagy allowing this?
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#1807 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:59 pm

bad knees wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

What's with Lazor and all these quotes that appear to undercut Nagy's approach with Fields? Has anyone listened to these interviews? What is the context? It's wild if he is saying these things in a way that appears to conflict with what Nagy is doing/saying. How is Nagy allowing this?

He's just talking up the kid. No different than what Montgomery said right :D

Hmmm maybe Lazor should be coach.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,874

Post#1808 » by Dresden » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:03 pm

bad knees wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's almost assuredly taken out of context by this reporter in order to serve his agenda of getting Fields to take over.

I just don't get what the big rush is to move Fields in. Dalton did not play poorly, in fact I thought he looked pretty sharp. He didn't miss many passes. Until he plays poorly, and is the reason they aren't winning, I think Nagy will stick with him. It would be nice to see how he does with a full playbook at his disposal. Maybe we will get to see more of that this week.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1809 » by Dresden » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:09 pm

the ultimates wrote:
sco wrote:
the ultimates wrote:

Because their coaches thought they gave their teams the best chance to win. When Nagy believes that about Fields, I'm sure he will start too.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,250

Post#1810 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:17 pm

I think they certainly let Dalton start against his former team, and then Fields gets the nod against the Browns. Ohio State QB starting at Cleveland makes sense, then he gets a couple of softer defenses in Detroit and Las Vegas
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#1811 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:22 pm

Dresden wrote:
bad knees wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's almost assuredly taken out of context by this reporter in order to serve his agenda of getting Fields to take over.

I just don't get what the big rush is to move Fields in. Dalton did not play poorly, in fact I thought he looked pretty sharp. He didn't miss many passes. Until he plays poorly, and is the reason they aren't winning, I think Nagy will stick with him. It would be nice to see how he does with a full playbook at his disposal. Maybe we will get to see more of that this week.

Fans are in a rush because of the many years we've been dealing with this pain. But not just that. Yes Dalton didn't play poorly, it was probably on par with Trubisky. But we aren't satisfied with that. We want our instant gratification. We are impatient. We want more than just mediocre play from your QB. We want to see what we think we have in Fields. We want to light up the scoreboard. We want to be able to keep up with the oppositions offense. We want to scream with excitement. Some of us are old and don't want to wait anymore. Some of us are young and don't want to wait either. We want to win. We want to win now. Do we have the team to win now? Who knows. But dangit I want the player that gives us the best chance to win now. And some of us think its Fields. He might just light a fire in the entire team. Put the best players out there period.

Its not hard to understand. Sure, its not the same opinion you have on the situation but there is no right or wrong here.
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#1812 » by CaPiTanAK » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:26 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
Dresden wrote:
CaPiTanAK wrote:https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/david-montgomery-had-telling-post-game-comments-on-justin-fields/

Heat on Nagy continues with star RB Montgomery preferring JF as his QB1.

He didn't

I'll let others be the judges...

You guys have your mind made up on a scrub QB with 200 yd 1 INT and 0 TD, and called it solid QB play. ROFL.
the ultimates
Analyst

Post#1813 » by the ultimates » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:01 pm

Dresden wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
sco wrote:I get the enthusiasm for Fields, but everyone should be able to see that this season's roster wasn't winning that game. We all know that Fields will get plenty of developmental time this season, but I'd prefer that he not get killed because of blown OL assignments and have his rookie year cut short. Giving the OL a few games to, optimistically, figure their sh*t out, will ultimately help Fields' development. I'm betting they'll make the move after week 3, or week 4 at the latest.

Because their coaches thought they gave their teams the best chance to win. When Nagy believes that about Fields, I'm sure he will start too.

Why should anyone whose seen Nagy's abysmal offenses say he's making the right decision to start Dalton over Fields?
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#1814 » by Dresden » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:18 pm

the ultimates wrote:
Dresden wrote:
the ultimates wrote:

Why should anyone whose seen Nagy's abysmal offenses say he's making the right decision to start Dalton over Fields?

How do you know the coaches who are starting Lawrence and Wilson are making the right choices?
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#1815 » by Stratmaster » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:19 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
Dresden wrote:
He didn't

I'll let others be the judges...

You guys have your mind made up on a scrub QB with 200 yd 1 INT and 0 TD, and called it solid QB play. ROFL.
You have mistaken me for someone else. Justin Fields is a better QB. I have never said the opposite.

How does the fact that Montgomery didn't say that mean that all of us are now Andy Dalton fans?

Why are your posts always like this with the hot takes and aggressive responses?

the ultimates
Analyst

Post#1816 » by the ultimates » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:54 pm

Dresden wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
Dresden wrote:

How do you know the coaches who are starting Lawrence and Wilson are making the right choices?

You can give them the benefit of the doubt because they have no track record. Nagy on the other hand has years of evidence saying he doesn't know what he's doing with the offense and his decisions on that side of the ball are putrid. Just last season Foles was supposed to be his guy. Foles was supposed to make the offense so much better and it didn't. Also, let's not forget that the offense was so bad under him he gave up play-calling duties so that's not someone whose decisions don't seriously deserve to be questioned.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,697

Post#1817 » by nitetrain8603 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:58 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
Dresden wrote:
bad knees wrote:

Fans are in a rush because of the many years we've been dealing with this pain. But not just that. Yes Dalton didn't play poorly, it was probably on par with Trubisky. But we aren't satisfied with that. We want our instant gratification. We are impatient. We want more than just mediocre play from your QB. We want to see what we think we have in Fields. We want to light up the scoreboard. We want to be able to keep up with the oppositions offense. We want to scream with excitement. Some of us are old and don't want to wait anymore. Some of us are young and don't want to wait either. We want to win. We want to win now. Do we have the team to win now? Who knows. But dangit I want the player that gives us the best chance to win now. And some of us think its Fields. He might just light a fire in the entire team. Put the best players out there period.

Its not hard to understand. Sure, its not the same opinion you have on the situation but there is no right or wrong here.

And when Fields doesn't provide that because the problems are bigger than the QB such as the OLine and potentially playcalling, then what?

Dalton was competent out there. And he looked much better than Trubisky (can't believe that comparison was made).
the ultimates
Analyst

Post#1818 » by the ultimates » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:28 am

nitetrain8603 wrote:
Dresden wrote:

And when Fields doesn't provide that because the problems are bigger than the QB such as the OLine and potentially playcalling, then what?

Dalton was competent out there. And he looked much better than Trubisky (can't believe that comparison was made).

Did they run anything Sunday that made you say Fields couldn't do that? The line is a question mark so what are you going to do not play him all year? The biggest question mark is left tackle which in all likely hood will still be a question mark because Jenkins will be returning from injury. Nagy was reluctant to give up play-calling last year. Starting Dalton doesn't shield Fields from a bad offensive line or play calling.

And Dalton didn't look better than Trubisky. Trubisky would have been torched by people on this board for the same numbers including the interception. The offense under Dalton looked bad just like under Foles and Trubisky. Not being able or willing to attempt a pass over 20 yards is not competent play from a quarterback.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#1819 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:28 am

nitetrain8603 wrote:
Dresden wrote:

I know your standards for a QB are low, look I’m a Bears fan too. A competent qb isn’t going to cut it. Fields can at least run around and he can open up the playbook with roll outs. You give the defense the fear of your qb taking off and that just opens up more downfield. Anyways thats just what i think snd who cares really. Bottom line is who is really satisfied with a competent Andy Dalton? I guess there are some….
the ultimates
Analyst

Post#1820 » by the ultimates » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:49 am

Here are the numbers from Dalton starting against the Rams and Foles start against them last season.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00/gamelog/2021/
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FoleNi00/gamelog/2020/

Numbers look pretty similar. I guarantee there were fewer people saying Foles looked competent then than they are now saying the same thing for Dalton.

Return to Chicago Bulls