Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Re: OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins 

Post#1841 » by Susan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:28 pm

fleet wrote:

Yes, Castillo can take these guys off the sidewalk because, Castillo. Hes THAT good. According to Pace, he’s the best

Castillo is Nagy's guy. What are you even talking about?
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,411

Post#1842 » by fleet » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:49 pm

Susan wrote:
fleet wrote:

Yes, Castillo can take these guys off the sidewalk because, Castillo. Hes THAT good. According to Pace, he’s the best

Castillo is Nagy's guy. What are you even talking about?

Ryan Pace. His opiate answer to all O-line questions and concerns is…’we got Juan Castillo’. It is awesome. Although it is a better answer than lying about Tevin Jenkins.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
jsleesl28
Freshman
And1: 59

Post#1843 » by jsleesl28 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:27 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:so all this talk of replacing Nagy-

is there a list of replacements that were salivating over?

There aren't many legends or retreads left.
Jobs seem to go to the hot coordinator of thew week - which is how we ended up with TRESTMAN and Nagy.

I don't think he's great, but he does have experience now which is more than like say us hiring the next hot coordinator of the week that doesn't have any head coaching experience.....

Do we want a hot young college coach?

I never thought I'd miss Lovie Smith so much......

Not sure if Bill Cowher wants to coach again, but I think he would be the perfect guy.

I dont think Nagy is the guy. His system just does not work. Its a gimmick.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#1844 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:46 pm

You can't make this sh** up with Nagy.

Read on Twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,425

Post#1845 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 pm

jsleesl28 wrote:

Jobs seem to go to the hot coordinator of thew week - which is how we ended up with TRESTMAN and Nagy.

I don't think he's great, but he does have experience now which is more than like say us hiring the next hot coordinator of the week that doesn't have any head coaching experience.....

Not sure if Bill Cowher wants to coach again, but I think he would be the perfect guy.

Honestly I think the game passed Cowher by and I think he more “looks” the part than he is a good HC, or he would have had a job by now. He has had the opportunity 3 times since he left the Steelers to get the Bears job not to mention countless other HC jobs and it hasn’t happened. I just can’t see it now. That being said I take him over Nagy, but I think I would literally take any HC over Nagy except Marc Trestman.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1846 » by Susan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:18 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
jsleesl28 wrote:

Honestly I think the game passed Cowher by and I think he more “looks” the part than he is a good HC, or he would have had a job by now. He has had the opportunity 3 times since he left the Steelers to get the Bears job not to mention countless other HC jobs and it hasn’t happened. I just can’t see it now. That being said I take him over Nagy, but I think I would literally take any HC over Nagy except Marc Trestman.

Joe Brady in Carolina is supposed to be an offensive savant. He was the OC at LSU with Burrow and before that with NOLA.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/the-rapid-rise-of-offensive-wunderkind-joe-brady-has-lsu-rolling-and-poachers-lurking/

This magic LSU season developed in part because of Brady's talents as a New Orleans Saints offensive assistant. He was hired in the offseason to install the spread/RPO offense at LSU.

The way the story is told, an initial 30-minute get-to-know-you meeting turned into hours when Burrow visited LSU as an Ohio State transfer. Burrow was intrigued by the new offense. The quarterback and his father, Jimmy, were looking at a school with a quarterback opening first, but there had to be a philosophical connection as well.

"We had concerns about the direction they were going on offense," Jimmy Burrow said. "Then it just became a discussion of football. They were showing film of Joe at Ohio State and what he could do at LSU."

The ironies have become obvious. Burrow has succeeded in an offense he was basically recruited to run at Ohio State.

I'm not an expert on this but reading that, it appears that there's a lot of similarities with the LSU and OSU system (and there's ties from Nagy to Ryan Day) so a transition for Fields would not be as aggressive as a complete system overhaul.

Brady oversaw the development of Burrow, Justin Jefferson, Ja'mar Chase, Terrace Marshall and Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

Burrow - 1st overall
Chase - 5th overall (2020)
Justin Jefferson - 1st rounder and best rookie WR year ever
CEH - 1st rounder as a RB
Marshall - 2nd rounder (2020)

That's who I want developing our offense/Justin Fields.

People like Daboll in Buffalo but I think he's going to get Josh Allen killed with that system they run.

If Dasai is a fraud we're in big trouble, I'm worried but if he can find his stride I wouldn't mind keeping him around and having Brady run the offense.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#1847 » by the ultimates » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:55 am

So the Giants with a questionable line at best going up last year's 2nd ranked defense put up nearly 400 yards of total offense. They also attempted and completed passes beyond 20 yards with said questionable line. The Nagy apologists will probably find some other excuse now as to why he can't put together or call a competent game plan.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1848 » by fleet » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:01 am

MalagaBulls wrote: You can't make this sh** up with Nagy.

Read on Twitter

They cannot stop with the happy talk in every single instance. And secrecy btw. Whether or not Goldman plays, they gotta pump the sunshine up your ass. They are totally misreading this town atm which is currently craving straight talk amidst all the questions.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,063

Post#1849 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:11 pm

the ultimates wrote:So the Giants with a questionable line at best going up last year's 2nd ranked defense put up nearly 400 yards of total offense. They also attempted and completed passes beyond 20 yards with said questionable line. The Nagy apologists will probably find some other excuse now as to why he can't put together or call a competent game plan.

Nope they'll stick to the same excuse and just say our line is that much worse than theirs.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,406

Post#1850 » by jnrjr79 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:41 pm

fleet wrote:

Read on Twitter

They cannot stop with the happy talk in every single instance. And secrecy btw. Whether or not Goldman plays, they gotta pump the sunshine up your ass. They are totally misreading this town atm which is currently craving straight talk amidst all the questions.

I mean, fine, I guess that's what the fanbase wants, but that's not something a coaching staff should be worried about. Their job is to win football games, not win press conferences/interviews.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,063

Post#1851 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:15 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
fleet wrote:

Read on Twitter

I mean, fine, I guess that's what the fanbase wants, but that's not something a coaching staff should be worried about. Their job is to win football games, not win press conferences/interviews.

Yeah but if you aren't doing your job then you better do a better job of being transparent to the fanbase or you will have them where they are now.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1852 » by fleet » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:44 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
fleet wrote:They cannot stop with the happy talk in every single instance. And secrecy btw. Whether or not Goldman plays, they gotta pump the sunshine up your ass. They are totally misreading this town atm which is currently craving straight talk amidst all the questions.

Yeah but if you aren't doing your job then you better do a better job of being transparent to the fanbase or you will have them where they are now.

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1853 » by fleet » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:48 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
fleet wrote:

Read on Twitter

We’d like to be made happy on some level. The facets of the team that are set up to function well are severely limited. Cap hell for a long while, dearth of draft picks. Mediocre product. We might have a quarterback. In the meantime, the pressers could be less annoying.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1854 » by Susan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Man, this division is ripe for the picking right now. I've got extremely limited faith in Nagy but Justin Fields really needs to get on the field ASAP because this division looks extremely weak.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,425

Post#1855 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:22 pm

the ultimates wrote:So the Giants with a questionable line at best going up last year's 2nd ranked defense put up nearly 400 yards of total offense. They also attempted and completed passes beyond 20 yards with said questionable line. The Nagy apologists will probably find some other excuse now as to why he can't put together or call a competent game plan.

There are Nagy apologists? Yuck. I have always disliked him for some off field reasons too.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,877

Post#1856 » by Dresden » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:27 pm

I saw an interview with Steve McMichael this week- he's lost so much weight. He's battling ALS. Poor guy. Hate to see people go through something like that. 49'ers wide receiver Dwight Clark contracted it too, and passed away a year or two ago. Wish they could find a cure for some of these terrible diseases that are currently untreatable.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#1857 » by TheJordanRule » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:36 am

The O-Line is turrible. Until they can protect Andy, why would you ever put your franchise quarterback in harm's way like that? Let this kid redshirt this year, and address the leaky holes in the off season!
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#1858 » by TheStig » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:44 am

TheJordanRule wrote:The O-Line is turrible. Until they can protect Andy, why would you ever put your franchise quarterback in harm's way like that? Let this kid redshirt this year, and address the leaky holes in the off season!

So you gonna sit him for 3-4 years?
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,131

Post#1859 » by molepharmer » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:39 am

TheStig wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:The O-Line is turrible. Until they can protect Andy, why would you ever put your franchise quarterback in harm's way like that? Let this kid redshirt this year, and address the leaky holes in the off season!

So you gonna sit him for 3-4 years?

And besides that, if your passing game is short quick <10yd patterns designed to minimize pass block time and to protect your QB, you might as well go with the rookie QB. Also pretty sure he can hand the ball off to Monty or Williams just as well as Dalton. Basically if you're going into the game only using half your play book because you want to ensure the QB stays upright, put in Fields.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
Susan
RealGM

Post#1860 » by Susan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Burrow is going to connect with Chase or Higgins 1/2x in the first half and they're going to be down at half.

Nagy knows he can't lose this game, Fields is taking over at half and they're going to win this freaking game. Bear Down, Justin Fields.

Return to Chicago Bulls