Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Re: Bears 2019/20; George McCaskey is on the clock 

Post#81 » by dougthonus » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:40 am

logical_art wrote:Giants fan here. How good are you guys expecting to be this season?

Seems like a 10-20 type pick to me. There isn't a lot of reason to think they should be a lot better or worse than last year IMO. I'd peg them as roughly a middle of the pack team, with the ability to play a bit above or below that mark depending on luck/injuries etc.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#82 » by DJhitek » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:07 pm

I said this when the Bears traded up for Trubisky and I’ll say it again. I will always be ok with trading up to get your guy at the QB position. You have to get the right guy of course, but it’s the most important position in sports. I’m good with it.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,208

Post#83 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:21 pm

DJhitek wrote:I said this when the Bears traded up for Trubisky and I’ll say it again. I will always be ok with trading up to get your guy at the QB position. You have to get the right guy of course, but it’s the most important position in sports. I’m good with it.

I’m ok with the trade this time because Fields isn’t the reach that Mitch was. I am fine with the Bulls trading up but not for Doug. I don’t care if Fields isn’t great but this makes sense. The problem is I don’t like trading up for “reaches”. Ends may be worse than Mitch but the logic behind it was better and I like logic lol.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#84 » by sco » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:46 pm

I want our next 3 picks to be O-linemen. We can improve our defense immensely by keeping them off the field!
:clap:
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#85 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:56 pm

sco wrote:I want our next 3 picks to be O-linemen. We can improve our defense immensely by keeping them off the field!

Everything improves with the o line. I’m absolutely ok on stocking up on that position we are so deficient there.
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 411

Post#86 » by Bulls69 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:00 pm

chicagoballer wrote:
Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

wow! I will not feel bad for the packers at all if he leaves. With their luck, Jordan Love will be a MVP caliber quarterback :rofl:

The odds of having three straight HOF QB is off the charts the Packs is going to be garbage for a long time to come after AROD leaves.
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,885

Post#87 » by MAQ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:07 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
DJhitek wrote:I said this when the Bears traded up for Trubisky and I’ll say it again. I will always be ok with trading up to get your guy at the QB position. You have to get the right guy of course, but it’s the most important position in sports. I’m good with it.

I’m ok with the trade this time because Fields isn’t the reach that Mitch was. I am fine with the Bulls trading up but not for Doug. I don’t care if Fields isn’t great but this makes sense. The problem is I don’t like trading up for “reaches”. Ends may be worse than Mitch but the logic behind it was better and I like logic lol.

Agreed. 1 year starter at UNC...not exactly a football powerhouse. And the guy he couldn't beat out his junior year is doing what now? CFL?

Beyond that though, I did also have a problem with the price paid to move up 1 slot. Getting your guy, IMO, is logical to an extent. If your guy is out of a reasonable price range, go with your 2nd best graded player then. The capital spent to move up 1 slot was crazy.

And I wont even go into how it might not have even been necessary to do so in the first place to get the guy they drafted.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,885

Post#88 » by MAQ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:12 pm

Also the fact that the coach was heavily involved in the selection vs the last time we selected a qb.

This one just feels a lot better than 4 years ago.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#89 » by dougthonus » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:20 pm

MAQ wrote:Also the fact that the coach was heavily involved in the selection vs the last time we selected a qb.

This one just feels a lot better than 4 years ago.

Before the talking heads got together Fields looked like possibly the #2 pick in the draft. This feels like a value pick compared to a reach to me. Obviously Fields needs to prove it on the field, but this was totally reasonable draft capital to give up to get a prospect of his caliber.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,601
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#90 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:21 pm

After watching all of these Fields highlights, it makes me wonder if Olave is available in the draft and if so, would he be a good late round pick.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#91 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:44 pm

I went from "I'm not watching the Bears this year and I don't want Pace to draft another QB"
to "LETS GOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"
:rockon:

I'm such a homer.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#92 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:45 pm

I'm kind of amazed they pulled that off.

They went from a team with no hope to a team with hope. And they didn't pay too high of a price. That's a job well done.

Now they should slowly build up the offense in the rest of the draft. Also try to trade down to pick up future draft capital. I wouldn't draft a single defender.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#93 » by Susan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:52 pm

mlitney01 wrote:After watching all of these Fields highlights, it makes me wonder if Olave is available in the draft and if so, would he be a good late round pick.

Staying another year.

He was a late 1st rounder before pulling out.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#94 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:07 pm

MAQ wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Agreed. 1 year starter at UNC...not exactly a football powerhouse. And the guy he couldn't beat out his junior year is doing what now? CFL?

Beyond that though, I did also have a problem with the price paid to move up 1 slot. Getting your guy, IMO, is logical to an extent. If your guy is out of a reasonable price range, go with your 2nd best graded player then. The capital spent to move up 1 slot was crazy.

And I wont even go into how it might not have even been necessary to do so in the first place to get the guy they drafted.

Just like Dougie. The thing with both of these if you hadn't moved up they would have been fine enough draft picks. Doing isn't some awful player and filled a need but moving up to get him and giving assets was silly. Same with Mitch.
superdave
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#95 » by superdave » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:30 pm

mlitney01 wrote:I saw a stat somewhere that said Fields was one of the most accurate deep ball passers (20+ yards) in the past 10 years of college football. The kid has an arm, which is necessary in the Windy City. But he also has the mobility to be a dual threat QB. I'm really excited about this pick.

If you search for Justin Fields on youtube, some of the first videos that show up are "Why is Justin Fields falling down draft charts?" I watched a few of them and no one really had an answer. He had bad games against Northwestern (#1 ranked defense in the nation) and Indiana (#5 ranked defense in the nation) but otherwise he was fairly dominant at the highest level.

He showed a lot of a toughness in that Clemson game where he got absolutely smashed in the ribs, only to come back and throw several deep TD passes.

He might not become an elite QB in the NFL, but I have a feeling he'll be good. I think he'll be the best QB the Bears have had in a long while. He says that he modeled his game after Russell Wilson, and there are a lot of similarities. If he can be half the QB that Wilson is, our franchise should be in a good place for the next 10+ years.

Justin Fields might be the best QB in our division if Rodgers decides to leave. His competition would be Kirk Cousins, Jordan Love, and Jared Goff. Something to think about.

Thank you. Lawrence and Fields were 1 and 1A since their HS recruiting class in 2018. I am confused why Chicago sports fans know so little about this kid, he has proven his status at OSU and to me is a star in the making. The two things that stand out on tape are deep ball accuracy and that 4.4 speed. He has all the tools and toughness. Ideally, he gets a 1 year apprenticeship ala Mahomes to learn NFL concepts and clean up some mechanics.

I'm down on Pace overall, but I applaud this swing on QB1 (though I think this is really Nagy's pick). Especially given our QB room, pre draft, was probably the worst in the NFL. And when you compare the Niners (eesh!) draft capital in a trade up for Lance it looks even better (D2 kid with tools who played one game this season does not a franchise QB make). And I'm not losing any sleep over Mac Jones. There is only one GOAT, and Mac is much closer to Daniel Jones than Brady lol
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#96 » by TheStig » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:47 pm

I agree. I'm more concerned with the guy making the decision of the guy to take :lol:

But this does look like a good trade and pick.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#97 » by Dresden » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:08 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:I'm kind of amazed they pulled that off.

They went from a team with no hope to a team with hope. And they didn't pay too high of a price. That's a job well done.

Now they should slowly build up the offense in the rest of the draft. Also try to trade down to pick up future draft capital. I wouldn't draft a single defender.

Yes, that's why the Bears are being written about as one of the teams that did very well on Day One. Everything kind of fell into place for them.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#98 » by Chi town » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:33 pm

Def hope now.

As for trading up it sounds like the Vikes were going to take Fields at 14. Had to be done. Not a steep price.

Pace absolutely needs to trade back and go BPA Oline. We need another Mooney type of value WR pick too.

Mustipher made our oline solid last year at C. We get Daniels back. D line gets Goldman back.

Offense will have Arob Monty Mooney Cohen and Kmet. Solid w upside there.

What I like about Fields is his deep ball accuracy. If Mitch could have had that he would be a starter even without being able to read defenses.

I also like Nagy was part of this. He got his guy. My hope is Fields plays like Russel Wilson with running and passing and creating out of the pocket.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by DJhitek » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:48 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:

I agree, but I only really apply that logic to the QB position. Again, I wanted Desean from the get go, but I couldn’t crush the trade completely because the Bears understood how valuable the QB position is.

As for the NBA comparison, if I can get a super dynamic playmaker with great size or that player has a generational talent I’m all over it. Otherwise, I’d lean towards more dart throws than just settling for players.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by DJhitek » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:53 pm

Build the OL from the ground up. I wouldn’t even draft a skill position player and I would trade down immediately.

Return to Chicago Bulls