Image ImageImage Image

Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, DASMACKDOWN, dougthonus, Payt10, fleet, GimmeDat, kulaz3000, AshyLarrysDiaper, RedBulls23, Tommy Udo 6

Am2626
Veteran
Posts: 2,511
And1: 785
Joined: Jul 13, 2013

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#161 » by Am2626 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:32 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Lebron/Miami was annoying as a Bulls fan, but I totally got it. The moves to CLE and subsequently to LAL also made a lot of sense. For one thing, why would the best player in the world not want to live in the city of his choice? Nothing against Cleveland, but it's Cleveland. I understood the desire to win a chip with them after claiming 2 in party city. And after accomplishing that, a Hollywood retirement plan made sense too.

But strictly speaking, MJ never banded with a rival MVP, nor did he lose a finals series (multiple times). I know it was more a hype piece than a "documentary," but the Last Dance was a good reminder that he carried the squad through thick and thin. Let's be honest: that 97/98 team was on crutches, he was 35yo (which in the 90s was hella old), lots of new/future-HOF talent was emerging, and he still got it done.

I still found it both charming but surprising that Lebron gave up 2 chips with the cHeat code, even against two excellent teams.


I have no problem with LeBron making a decision to play in Miami. I have a problem with how he went about it. He wasted a lot of teams time when his mind to join Miami was already made up. The Bulls could have pursued other FA like JJ. I hate it when athletes put on a show and make a spectacle of things. The whole “Decision” thing was a waste of everyone’s time. None of the big 3 had any interest with going anywhere but Miami so they should have just signed at the start of FA instead of dragging it out and giving teams and fans false hope.
drosestruts
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,259
And1: 1,937
Joined: Apr 05, 2012
 

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#162 » by drosestruts » Wed Jun 2, 2021 4:55 pm

ChettheJet wrote:HEY BACK TO THE PG

with Danny Ainge being kicked upstairs most of the Celtics roster is in play for trades. And not just swapping out guys, Stevens doesn't have to follow the same path they had been on. He no doubt has guys he thinks were the reason they couldn't win it all. There isn't an easy way for the Bulls to get a Kemba Walker but more than likely he's going to be on the move. He may like Markkanen, Young or Satoransky but BOS could also be competition if they're interested in bringing Theis or Green back, maybe Temple fills a need for them


Sato, Young and Aminu work salary-wise for Kemba, but man. The length of that contract and his previous knee issues worry the hell out of me. On the other hand, I've talked a lot about guys like Kendrick Nunn, who Kemba is clearly better than.
User avatar
Michael Jackson
RealGM
Posts: 16,905
And1: 3,001
Joined: Jun 15, 2001

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#163 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Jun 3, 2021 12:14 am

drosestruts wrote:
ChettheJet wrote:HEY BACK TO THE PG

with Danny Ainge being kicked upstairs most of the Celtics roster is in play for trades. And not just swapping out guys, Stevens doesn't have to follow the same path they had been on. He no doubt has guys he thinks were the reason they couldn't win it all. There isn't an easy way for the Bulls to get a Kemba Walker but more than likely he's going to be on the move. He may like Markkanen, Young or Satoransky but BOS could also be competition if they're interested in bringing Theis or Green back, maybe Temple fills a need for them


Sato, Young and Aminu work salary-wise for Kemba, but man. The length of that contract and his previous knee issues worry the hell out of me. On the other hand, I've talked a lot about guys like Kendrick Nunn, who Kemba is clearly better than.



Kemba seems cooked. I mean on top of the salary that is an overpay I don't think he can give production on day one much less the length of the contract. That is one ugly win now team too... Kemba, Zach and Vuc might only be a play in talent team.
Chi town
RealGM
Posts: 20,029
And1: 4,793
Joined: Aug 10, 2004

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#164 » by Chi town » Thu Jun 3, 2021 1:18 am

No to Kemba.

Yes to Smart.
GoBlue72391
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,930
And1: 1,568
Joined: Oct 26, 2009
     

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#165 » by GoBlue72391 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:15 pm

CP3 will reportedly decline his $44M player option to seek a $100M contract. Screw it, I say we give him whatever he wants. 3-years $100M or 4-years $100M? He's exactly the player we need. Look what he helped do for two other young teams, the Thunder and Suns.

I know he's old, but his game shouldn't be as susceptible to sudden decline as many other players. I can see him playing at this level for another 2 years at least, and still good into the 3rd/4th year of his contract.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
kodo
RealGM
Posts: 14,921
And1: 9,689
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Location: Wrigleyville

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#166 » by kodo » Thu Jun 3, 2021 5:49 pm

Per 36 numbers for Kemba & Coby:
21 ppg @ 17 FGA; 5.6 apg 4.5 rpg 2P: 48% 3P: 36%
17 ppg @ 15 FGA; 5.5 apg 4.3 rpg 2P: 47% 3P: 36%

One is making $36M per year and undergoing constant knee surgeries, the other is Coby White. Give Coby 2 more shots per game and more minutes and you basically have Kemba.

It's a lot of cap space for not a huge improvement, they are both small scoring guards who are best dribbling into their own shot and not especially talented playmakers for others and terrible defenders.

I would also hope that Vuc is the oldest player on our team and not the new norm. I assumed we'd be building more towards Lavine's timeline of 25, and Vuc is more the solid vet providing experience. I did not think the plan would be assembling a team of 31+ year old players.
MalagaBulls
Analyst
Posts: 3,300
And1: 1,166
Joined: Dec 15, 2013
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))
       

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#167 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:05 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:CP3 will reportedly decline his $44M player option to seek a $100M contract. Screw it, I say we give him whatever he wants. 3-years $100M or 4-years $100M? He's exactly the player we need. Look what he helped do for two other young teams, the Thunder and Suns.

I know he's old, but his game shouldn't be as susceptible to sudden decline as many other players. I can see him playing at this level for another 2 years at least, and still good into the 3rd/4th year of his contract.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
Read on Twitter
CobyWhite0
Pro Prospect
Posts: 874
And1: 538
Joined: Dec 28, 2020
 

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#168 » by CobyWhite0 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:09 pm

kodo wrote:Per 36 numbers for Kemba & Coby:
21 ppg @ 17 FGA; 5.6 apg 4.5 rpg 2P: 48% 3P: 36%
17 ppg @ 15 FGA; 5.5 apg 4.3 rpg 2P: 47% 3P: 36%

One is making $36M per year and undergoing constant knee surgeries, the other is Coby White. Give Coby 2 more shots per game and more minutes and you basically have Kemba.

It's a lot of cap space for not a huge improvement, they are both small scoring guards who are best dribbling into their own shot and not especially talented playmakers for others and terrible defenders.

I would also hope that Vuc is the oldest player on our team and not the new norm. I assumed we'd be building more towards Lavine's timeline of 25, and Vuc is more the solid vet providing experience. I did not think the plan would be assembling a team of 31+ year old players.


I don't agree with people who think we need a "pure PG" or a "playmaker", because our offense runs through Zach and Vuc and we were already top-5 in the league in assists and Ast% - but at least I can understand why people might think that we do.

But Kemba Walker isn't a pure PG or a playmaker, and as you mentioned, he's no better than Coby on the defensive end. And at least Coby is young and can improve his defense, plus he knees aren't shot. And Coby doesn't have one of the worst contracts in the league.
CobyWhite0
Pro Prospect
Posts: 874
And1: 538
Joined: Dec 28, 2020
 

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#169 » by CobyWhite0 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 6:13 pm

I have no doubt that CP3 has shown enough over the last 2 seasons that he can opt out of his deal and have plenty of suitors ready to give him a 3 year, $100 million deal.

I have all kind of doubts that he is interested in leaving one of the best teams in the league.
User avatar
TheJordanRule
Starter
Posts: 2,112
And1: 935
Joined: Jan 27, 2014

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#170 » by TheJordanRule » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:24 pm

CobyWhite0 wrote:I have no doubt that CP3 has shown enough over the last 2 seasons that he can opt out of his deal and have plenty of suitors ready to give him a 3 year, $100 million deal.

I have all kind of doubts that he is interested in leaving one of the best teams in the league.


You seriously think there's a $100 million dollar contract offer out there for CP3? He's been a shell of his former self in half of the games he's played vs. the Lakers. CP3 has quite frankly never been this close to the cliff before, and this isn't football, where QBs can get off the field half the time and receive incredible protection from both the offensive line and the refs / rules. Who's going to pay max money for at most one good season, and have a 70 million dollar albatross the rest of the way?
d boy gentleman
Veteran
Posts: 2,554
And1: 750
Joined: Jun 02, 2009
     

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#171 » by d boy gentleman » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:42 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:CP3 will reportedly decline his $44M player option to seek a $100M contract. Screw it, I say we give him whatever he wants. 3-years $100M or 4-years $100M? He's exactly the player we need. Look what he helped do for two other young teams, the Thunder and Suns.

I know he's old, but his game shouldn't be as susceptible to sudden decline as many other players. I can see him playing at this level for another 2 years at least, and still good into the 3rd/4th year of his contract.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
Read on Twitter


No way does he decline 44 million.
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint, not with the league but with the local police. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.
CobyWhite0
Pro Prospect
Posts: 874
And1: 538
Joined: Dec 28, 2020
 

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#172 » by CobyWhite0 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 7:42 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:I have no doubt that CP3 has shown enough over the last 2 seasons that he can opt out of his deal and have plenty of suitors ready to give him a 3 year, $100 million deal.

I have all kind of doubts that he is interested in leaving one of the best teams in the league.


You seriously think there's a $100 million dollar contract offer out there for CP3?


Yes, and from what I've read so far, you are literally the one and only person here who doesn't think he can get a 3/100 deal this summer.

He's been a shell of his former self in half of the games he's played vs. the Lakers.


I have no clue what that means, since he's also been injured in half of the games he's played vs the Lakers :dontknow:

CP3 has quite frankly never been this close to the cliff before, and this isn't football, where QBs can get off the field half the time and receive incredible protection from both the offensive line and the refs / rules. Who's going to pay max money for at most one good season, and have a 70 million dollar albatross the rest of the way?


He was an All-Star this season, he must not be very close to the cliff. Maybe you have him confused with Kemba Walker?
sco
RealGM
Posts: 17,183
And1: 4,875
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#173 » by sco » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:12 pm

CP3 to the Knicks sounds good to me...get them out of the Ball and Lowry sweepstakes.
:clap:
GoBlue72391
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,930
And1: 1,568
Joined: Oct 26, 2009
     

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#174 » by GoBlue72391 » Thu Jun 3, 2021 8:54 pm

d boy gentleman wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:CP3 will reportedly decline his $44M player option to seek a $100M contract. Screw it, I say we give him whatever he wants. 3-years $100M or 4-years $100M? He's exactly the player we need. Look what he helped do for two other young teams, the Thunder and Suns.

I know he's old, but his game shouldn't be as susceptible to sudden decline as many other players. I can see him playing at this level for another 2 years at least, and still good into the 3rd/4th year of his contract.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
Read on Twitter


No way does he decline 44 million.
If he can get less in the short term but more in the long term why wouldn't he do that?

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Michael Jackson
RealGM
Posts: 16,905
And1: 3,001
Joined: Jun 15, 2001

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#175 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Jun 3, 2021 10:31 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
d boy gentleman wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter


No way does he decline 44 million.
If he can get less in the short term but more in the long term why wouldn't he do that?

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM mobile app



And it can also spread it out so the hit across the board is more even, so it doesn't cripple a team as much (although it still will) If he can do a 3 year deal at even 90 million he has doubled his earnings, and he may not get another 45 million offer after next season and may end up falling off a "Cliff" (pun intended) next season. It makes sense for him honestly. He could become a 10 mil per year player after next season so for him I see a lot of reason he would do it. Plus he has improved his last 2 teams after being over the hill already. No way he looks good in that 3rd year but it is a price to pay for someone. I can think of a good number of teams that would use his services for a run next year. He helps a young team or a contender, I mean this is crazy lol. Funny that both Russ and CP3 had the most unmovable contracts, and they are both performing. Tis pretty much guarantees LeBron gets one more big Multiyear contract too, which was inevitable.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
Posts: 15,975
And1: 8,184
Joined: Jun 26, 2014
     

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#176 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Jun 3, 2021 11:07 pm

Almost Retired wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:I know his stint with Chicago wasn’t great but I am surprised no one is talking about Cam Payne. He has really turned into a good player.


Payne is getting meaningful minutes in these playoff and from the stat lines seems to be doing really well. Surprising how well he's doing considering his history with us. But then you look at the playoff numbers that Gafford is putting up as well. The Bulls just don't get the best out of their draft picks. Occasionally they get lucky with a high pick like Derrick, or a hidden gem like Butler who made himself a superstar through grit and determination. But overall we don't develop our young players like other organizations seem to be able to do. In a few years Wendell, Lauri, and who knows who else will be putting up pretty good numbers while we draft players that never reach their potential.



We have a new front office and a respected coach. You have no basis for saying we will not develop our players going forward. At one point all we did was develop solid players. Hinrich, Deng, Gordon, Noah, Butler, Taj was a really good stretch of drafting. Then Paxson lost it and now he’s gone.
User avatar
Leslie Forman
General Manager
Posts: 9,887
And1: 5,949
Joined: Apr 21, 2006
Location: 1700 Center Dr, Ames, IA 50011

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#177 » by Leslie Forman » Thu Jun 3, 2021 11:59 pm

If anybody's looking for one of those "buy low" vet opportunities, I mean…isn't that just screaming Kemba Walker then?
User avatar
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 38,244
And1: 19,293
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#178 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:37 am

Leslie Forman wrote:If anybody's looking for one of those "buy low" vet opportunities, I mean…isn't that just screaming Kemba Walker then?


No to Kemba Walker for me personally.

I have Chris Paul, and Lowry way ahead of him.

All three have issues with injuries though.
Why so serious?
d boy gentleman
Veteran
Posts: 2,554
And1: 750
Joined: Jun 02, 2009
     

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#179 » by d boy gentleman » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:38 am

Leslie Forman wrote:If anybody's looking for one of those "buy low" vet opportunities, I mean…isn't that just screaming Kemba Walker then?


:sour: :sour: :sour: :sour:
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint, not with the league but with the local police. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.
User avatar
Leslie Forman
General Manager
Posts: 9,887
And1: 5,949
Joined: Apr 21, 2006
Location: 1700 Center Dr, Ames, IA 50011

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#180 » by Leslie Forman » Fri Jun 4, 2021 12:43 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:If anybody's looking for one of those "buy low" vet opportunities, I mean…isn't that just screaming Kemba Walker then?


No to Kemba Walker for me personally.

I have Chris Paul, and Lowry way ahead of him.

All three have issues with injuries though.

I mean…wouldn't most here have said Chris Paul was washed up two years ago, and Mike Conley a year ago?

That's why it's buying low. Vucevic? That was buying high. Real high. Way too high.

Return to Chicago Bulls