Image ImageImage Image

Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,195

Re: Free Agent/Trade For PG Discussion 

Post#41 » by HomoSapien » Tue May 18, 2021 12:22 am

A guy we definitely don't need, but that I'd monitor is Montrezl Harrell. The Lakers did a good job of killing his value, and I could see him having to sign for a discount yet again. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us pursue Torey Craig.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#42 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue May 18, 2021 12:23 am

Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Chris Paul will 37 years old. I would want no part of that unless my team was already a strong championship contender.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#43 » by WindyCityBorn » Tue May 18, 2021 12:25 am

I still think it Lonzo Ball for us. We are banking next season on Coby White. Lonzo shoot spot up 3s now and does just about everything else better.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Post#44 » by Red8911 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:47 am

HomoSapien wrote:A guy we definitely don't need, but that I'd monitor is Montrezl Harrell. The Lakers did a good job of killing his value, and I could see him having to sign for a discount yet again. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us pursue Torey Craig.

He would be a solid pick up for a potential Lauri replacement. Still think Theis should be the priority to bring back before making any other move.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#45 » by MalagaBulls » Tue May 18, 2021 9:08 am

Totally hypothetical scenario question. If you had a chance to put all your eggs in the FA basket for 2022 or 2023 and had room for 1 max contract would you:

1. Sign Beal next offseason to a max to pair up with Vooch & Zach?
2. Sign Doncic to rookie max in 2023 to pair up with Zach and a possibly resigned Vooch under a friendlier team contract?
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#46 » by rtblues » Tue May 18, 2021 12:16 pm

About a PG acquisition, I'd rather aim high and miss than aim low and hit, and wind up with a slightly better version of Arci, or Coby for that matter.

Lauri: I believe that, somehow, finding a sign-and-trade for Markkanen would be the best outcome IMO, better than letting him walk for nothing, and better than re-signing him. Despite the recent niceties thrown around by Donovan & AK during their end of the season pressers, I don't believe Lauri is here next season.

Then there's the Al-Farouq Aminu and his $10Mil contract problem, a problem that eats CAP space without getting any utility in return. I realize that the stretch & waive option is normally a last option, but could be considered. I doubt that will happen since they kept Felicio through the entire term of his crap contract with no utility in return. But, Aminu is virtually an un-trade-able contract, and nobody's paying $10MIL for him. Last chance is to try and package him in some deal where another team is forced into agreeing to take his deal on as part of getting the desired player that they do want in the deal. He'd be an expiring, so it's doesn't seem impossible. Not sure about the NBA rules, but he should be fair game for the Bulls to deal this Summer, I'd think.

Theis: He's good enough to want to keep around, but only at the right price. I would not want to see the Bulls overpay him, or for too many years. So, it will be about the offers he gets and how the Bulls feel about the value in matching/beating those offers. There's probably already a number that AK has a his "red-line" on Theis money, but again it will simply depend on how much he is valued by the rest of the league and if the Bulls think that is worth matching.

Last point here, for me PW is absolutely NOT a trade piece, that is completely out of the question in my mind. Whereas I'd say that Coby White could be. The thing about Coby is that no matter where he goes and which coach/system that he plays for, he's still not going to be starting PG in this league. He is and will be a 3rd guard for scoring and shooting, on mostly catch-and-shoot opportunities, no dribbles involved. And that's the problem, he''s got a very narrow and specialized skill-set and outside of that, the tools just aren't there to be a starting PG. True PGs are born and not made or transformed.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#47 » by sco » Tue May 18, 2021 12:52 pm

So this was just on WT:

“Ball in Chicago will be an interesting one to watch,” said Adrian Wojnarowski on the Woj & Lowe Podcast.

The New York Knicks are another team expected to have interest in Ball.

“I think Lonzo will get a pretty good number whether it’s Chicago or New York or some other places.”

Doesn't seem like new info, but Woj knows so much...
:clap:
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,583

Post#48 » by DuckIII » Tue May 18, 2021 2:30 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hardly any or none at all will actually enter open free agency. Moreover, goal number 1 is to convince Lavine to stay. It’s extremely likely that whatever money we have, gets spent this summer.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by DuckIII » Tue May 18, 2021 2:32 pm

sco wrote:So this was just on WT:

“Ball in Chicago will be an interesting one to watch,” said Adrian Wojnarowski on the Woj & Lowe Podcast.

“I think Lonzo will get a pretty good number whether it’s Chicago or New York or some other places.”

It’s the only move indisputably available that makes sense. We can dream up whatever trades we want, but to me this summer is 100% about Lonzo Ball. And if that fails, not stupidly and desperately spending the money anyway like with Mercer and E-Rob.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#50 » by TheJordanRule » Tue May 18, 2021 6:01 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:Another under-the-radar player that could improve us considerably at PG is Delon Wright. Sacramento has Haliburton AND Fox AND Hield locked into multiple seasons. Their backcourt is set. My guess is Wright could be had fairly cheaply. I'd much prefer grabbing Wright to another year of Sato. Sato's a decent facilitator but he's not a good defender, and while he makes defenses that leave him open pay, Sato's not an impact player to the degree that Wright is. With Vuce and Zach and Thad in the fold, I would much rather start adding complementary two way players who are defensively strong. Sato's decent, but he doesn't fit with Zach. That much should be obvious by now. Wright's not my preferred option. I'd rather sign a guy like Devonte Graham at a cheap price for multiple seasons or obviously an actual star like Kawhi at the max if we could somehow manage that.

I like Delon Wright but he isn't exactly a conventional point guard, and I just don't think he is the answer. He'd be a great backup though.

We don't need a conventional point guard. We have already seen what a conventional point guard does-- look at Sato. He's as conventional as they come-- a good facilitator and highly efficient when left open, and yet Sato doesn't move the needle. Besides, any of these three guys-- Vuce, Zach, and Thad-- can facilitate. Ship Sato. Trade for Delon. Grab a legit two way starter at SF in free agency.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,075

Post#51 » by MrSparkle » Tue May 18, 2021 6:22 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:Another under-the-radar player that could improve us considerably at PG is Delon Wright. Sacramento has Haliburton AND Fox AND Hield locked into multiple seasons. Their backcourt is set. My guess is Wright could be had fairly cheaply. I'd much prefer grabbing Wright to another year of Sato. Sato's a decent facilitator but he's not a good defender, and while he makes defenses that leave him open pay, Sato's not an impact player to the degree that Wright is. With Vuce and Zach and Thad in the fold, I would much rather start adding complementary two way players who are defensively strong. Sato's decent, but he doesn't fit with Zach. That much should be obvious by now. Wright's not my preferred option. I'd rather sign a guy like Devonte Graham at a cheap price for multiple seasons or obviously an actual star like Kawhi at the max if we could somehow manage that.

I like Delon Wright but he isn't exactly a conventional point guard, and I just don't think he is the answer. He'd be a great backup though.

We don't need a conventional point guard. We have already seen what a conventional point guard does-- look at Sato. He's as conventional as they come-- a good facilitator and highly efficient when left open, and yet Sato doesn't move the needle. Besides, any of these three guys-- Vuce, Zach, and Thad-- can facilitate. Ship Sato. Trade for Delon. Grab a legit two way starter at SF in free agency.

In my eye’s opinion, Sato’s defense is as solid as advertised, but his offense is worse than numbers suggest. Total non-threat for 90% of the game, then a wild urge to dunk enters his head and he makes a monster hype play in traffic. He can pass the ball, but not as a moving threat. Just seems like he’s best suited for a 10-20 mpg role ala Ilyasova or Belinelli, where he has moments of putting together, but the higher the minutes, the flatter (if not worse) his production.

It takes certain athletes and talents to play full-time roles in the NBA, and assuming you have some franchise players, you should pay money for those guys even if they’re not all-stars (ie OG, Danny Green, etc.). I don’t think Sato was worth even the “low” $10m.

I agree we should ship Sato, but I don’t think he’s a conventional PG. On the contrary, he’s a Euro combo guard with no true NBA position. I basically feel the same way about Lauri, though he has more going for him (obviously age, height, shooting skill).

A conventional point like DJ Augustin, from the scrap heap, would probably be a noticeable offensive upgrade.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,953

Post#52 » by Wingy » Tue May 18, 2021 8:15 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hardly any or none at all will actually enter open free agency. Moreover, goal number 1 is to convince Lavine to stay. It’s extremely likely that whatever money we have, gets spent this summer.

I think you're right, and my own (and other's before me) musings of 2022 being the plan are either offbase, or we've got a highly questionable FA plan. Yet isn't that the goal of the perpetual flexibility plan? Score the big free agents?

How does this flexibility philosophy ever work in this age of players determining rosters, and their own destinations - and when you're a team that's never going to be a destination compared to LA, NY, or Miami?

Yes, this is totally a poke since you are at, or near the pinnacle of the anti-Vuc-ers :lol: - but it's an honest question.
RoseTheFuture22
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#53 » by RoseTheFuture22 » Tue May 18, 2021 8:23 pm

HomoSapien wrote:A guy we definitely don't need, but that I'd monitor is Montrezl Harrell. The Lakers did a good job of killing his value, and I could see him having to sign for a discount yet again. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us pursue Torey Craig.

Torrey Craig is exactly the type of guy we should be going after IMO. With Zach, Coby, and Vuc we can stomach a guy in the lineup who can fill some wing minutes with good defense.

As far as a PG goes I think Lowry could really have a Chris Paul-like impact for our team, he is still really good. Even in a S&T though it is going to be hard to get to his number unless TOR would take maybe Sato, Young + a 2nd and give him a deal at like 2 yr $50 type deal.

If Dinwiddie comes at a bargain I would be interested even coming off the injury. He would help with some of our free throw issues potentially and we have the spacing to compensate for his lack of shooting.
RoseTheFuture22
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#54 » by RoseTheFuture22 » Tue May 18, 2021 8:34 pm

sco wrote:So this was just on WT:

I think everyone in the world knows we are interested at this point, the question is what would that deal look like?

The thing that worries me about Lonzo is he carries a lot of the same issues we had with Lauri, Wendell, and Dunn. He has missed a lot of time with different nagging injuries over his career. His 3 point shooting has been OK the last couple of seasons but if you look at his month by month splits he's even streakier than Lauri. He doesn't get the rim/FT line at all and won't help with our last place in free throw rate. And then as far as the defense goes, I'm sure he would be better than what we have but I'm not sure he's anything special either.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,221

Post#55 » by Red8911 » Tue May 18, 2021 8:43 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:

That’s exactly what AK said yesterday at the press conference that a PG in today’s NBA does need to be a scorer not just a passer and that they have guys that can facilitate.

The best fit for that PG position is a 3 and D type of player. Even though I like traditional PGs, it’s not needed here since both Zach and Vuc control most of the offense already.

Also a high IQ player like Lowry who can shoot/score would be a great fit as well despite his age or his lack of defense. Just his talent would help this team off the bat.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by DuckIII » Tue May 18, 2021 8:51 pm

Wingy wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Repeat 3-peat wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think you're right, and my own (and other's before me) musings of 2022 being the plan are either offbase, or we've got a highly questionable FA plan. Yet isn't that the goal of the perpetual flexibility plan? Score the big free agents?

How does this flexibility philosophy ever work in this age of players determining rosters, and their own destinations - and when you're a team that's never going to be a destination compared to LA, NY, or Miami?

Yes, this is totally a poke since you are at, or near the pinnacle of the anti-Vuc-ers :lol: - but it's an honest question.

I’m all about maintaining flexibility for free agency and the draft. And trades. We did the exact opposite in all three categories, is the problem.

But in order for it to work in the modern NBA you have to cash it in at the right time comprehensively or have something to sell, and someone to sell it to. We have very little to sell, and one guy to sell it to. And we sure as hell didn’t do a comprehensive all in win now overhaul.

Instead, barring some really good fortune, we opted for something that’s the worst of all worlds. Which in itself is pretty impressive.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#57 » by TheJordanRule » Tue May 18, 2021 9:15 pm

sco wrote:

They traded for him...there must be some interest in retaining him, but I'd be all over Wright too! Problem is, not sure what Sacto would want that we could trade.

Interesting point Sco. Wright is an expiring 8.5 million dollar contract. Expiring contracts have value all on their own. If Wright had two seasons left, we probably could have grabbed him for a bag of chips. But because he's expiring, he might be more expensive than a 2nd rounder or two.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,382

Post#58 » by Michael Jackson » Tue May 18, 2021 9:22 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:Totally hypothetical scenario question. If you had a chance to put all your eggs in the FA basket for 2022 or 2023 and had room for 1 max contract would you:

1. Sign Beal next offseason to a max to pair up with Vooch & Zach?
2. Sign Doncic to rookie max in 2023 to pair up with Zach and a possibly resigned Vooch under a friendlier team contract?

Doncic without a question but it will never happen. No way Cuban loses him.
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,707

Post#59 » by BullChit » Wed May 19, 2021 1:13 am

I'm down with Lowry... Would love to see that happen but know it probably won't. Although I could see how AK could sell it to him.

We will probably end up with Lonzo though I'm starting to get on the TJ McConnel bandwagon...

My number 1 target that will never happen is still Malcolm Brogdon...

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
xpmar9x
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#60 » by xpmar9x » Wed May 19, 2021 2:13 am

rtblues wrote:About a PG acquisition, I'd rather aim high and miss than aim low and hit, and wind up with a slightly better version of Arci, or Coby for that matter.

Lauri: I believe that, somehow, finding a sign-and-trade for Markkanen would be the best outcome IMO, better than letting him walk for nothing, and better than re-signing him. Despite the recent niceties thrown around by Donovan & AK during their end of the season pressers, I don't believe Lauri is here next season.

Then there's the Al-Farouq Aminu and his $10Mil contract problem, a problem that eats CAP space without getting any utility in return. I realize that the stretch & waive option is normally a last option, but could be considered. I doubt that will happen since they kept Felicio through the entire term of his crap contract with no utility in return. But, Aminu is virtually an un-trade-able contract, and nobody's paying $10MIL for him. Last chance is to try and package him in some deal where another team is forced into agreeing to take his deal on as part of getting the desired player that they do want in the deal. He'd be an expiring, so it's doesn't seem impossible. Not sure about the NBA rules, but he should be fair game for the Bulls to deal this Summer, I'd think.

Theis: He's good enough to want to keep around, but only at the right price. I would not want to see the Bulls overpay him, or for too many years. So, it will be about the offers he gets and how the Bulls feel about the value in matching/beating those offers. There's probably already a number that AK has a his "red-line" on Theis money, but again it will simply depend on how much he is valued by the rest of the league and if the Bulls think that is worth matching.

Last point here, for me PW is absolutely NOT a trade piece, that is completely out of the question in my mind. Whereas I'd say that Coby White could be. The thing about Coby is that no matter where he goes and which coach/system that he plays for, he's still not going to be starting PG in this league. He is and will be a 3rd guard for scoring and shooting, on mostly catch-and-shoot opportunities, no dribbles involved. And that's the problem, he''s got a very narrow and specialized skill-set and outside of that, the tools just aren't there to be a starting PG. True PGs are born and not made or transformed.

Agree with everything. As far as Lauri, a S&T for Zo is our best option. If the Pels even want Lauri.

Waive Aminu. P'Will is untouchable.

If we resign Theis, I can't do it for much more than he makes now ($5M).. and he could get more elsewhere likely.

Coby may not be a starting PG, but I do feel he could be a starting SG. I personally want to keep him around. Though, for a fair price, I wouldn't be mad at letting him go. I wouldn't be surprised if he got moved for a draft pick.

Return to Chicago Bulls