Image ImageImage Image

Coby White gets shoulder surgery, re-evaluated in 4 months

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,009

Re: Coby White gets shoulder surgery, re-evaluated in 4 months 

Post#81 » by Am2626 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:17 am

Yes that would be awesome. Let’s also make sure the Bulls get Cade or Suggs in the draft. Ha ha we can always hope!
CobyWhite0
Rookie
And1: 819

Post#82 » by CobyWhite0 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:19 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:
sco wrote:All good on username!

On A) basing the legitimacy of him being our starting PG next season because he played mostly PG this season is a true, but silly comment. I actually was fine giving him the season to see what he could do as a PG, but the season's over and he flat out sucked at PG. And while he did improve on the many many silly TO's by the end of the season, he has tunnel-vision and showed zero ability to set-up his guys for better shots, and his defense against good PG's was awful.

On B) good PG's are good, even on mediocre and bad teams. I just don't the points I noted as his flaws are remotely fixable to the point that he'd be better than half the starting PG's in the league.

On C) it was the right answer, but I never expected you to say that (but I had hope). I feel pretty safe predicting the career of most players after their second year - at least to the point where I feel good or bad about them ever being a top 15 at their position during their career.

That's where we differ. I guess I'm just old, but I've seen lots of players struggle their first 2 seasons, only to become All-Stars down the road. And I've seen lots of players who were very good in their first and second season but didn't improve after that.

There are just too many variables:

How hard does the player work to improve his game
What kind of coaching does the player receive
What is the player's role on his team
What other players are on his team
Does the player stay healthy

And that's not a complete list, just off the top of my head.

There's an old saying that goes something like "If a player doesn't get it by his 3rd season, he's probably never going to get it". And it fits the NBA perfectly - because the way the NBA CBA works, there's absolutely no need to make any decisions until after the player's 3rd season, when he's eligible to sign an extension. Even then, in the NBA you have a 4th season to decide because of Restricted Free Agency.

Well we know it won’t be the 3rd season for White.

Actually, we don't know that at all.

Working hard in the offseason is certainly important, but players do most of their improving by playing in actual games. It takes time and experience for players to have the game slow down for them - and no matter how hard you work during the summer, if you don't get any playing time during the season, you're not going to improve very much.

That's the exact reason Coby spent so much time playing PG this season, and it's the reason Williams got so many minutes this season.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#83 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:41 am

CobyWhite0 wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:
That's where we differ. I guess I'm just old, but I've seen lots of players struggle their first 2 seasons, only to become All-Stars down the road. And I've seen lots of players who were very good in their first and second season but didn't improve after that.

There are just too many variables:

How hard does the player work to improve his game
What kind of coaching does the player receive
What is the player's role on his team
What other players are on his team
Does the player stay healthy

And that's not a complete list, just off the top of my head.

There's an old saying that goes something like "If a player doesn't get it by his 3rd season, he's probably never going to get it". And it fits the NBA perfectly - because the way the NBA CBA works, there's absolutely no need to make any decisions until after the player's 3rd season, when he's eligible to sign an extension. Even then, in the NBA you have a 4th season to decide because of Restricted Free Agency.

Well we know it won’t be the 3rd season for White.

Actually, we don't know that at all.

Working hard in the offseason is certainly important, but players do most of their improving by playing in actual games. It takes time and experience for players to have the game slow down for them - and no matter how hard you work during the summer, if you don't get any playing time during the season, you're not going to improve very much.

That's the exact reason Coby spent so much time playing PG this season, and it's the reason Williams got so many minutes this season.

No they get better in the off-season and he won’t be doing anything but rehab.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#84 » by Stratmaster » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:03 pm

And so it begins... already.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#85 » by sco » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:08 pm

Again, I sure didn't want him to get hurt, but IMO, he shouldn't be thought of as anything more than a back-up SG.

Playing the pretend we need to replace him in that role, what vet min type guys should we consider at backup SG. Here's a few to start with:

Valentine
Smith Jr.
E. Moore
Tyler Johnson
:clap:
Trm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 772

Post#86 » by Trm3 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:01 am

Sounds like he should of had Doctor James Andrews who repaired Drew Brees shoulder.
ShadyMoney
Junior
And1: 158

Post#87 » by ShadyMoney » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:31 am

madvillian wrote:Hits just keep coming. How the **** does a 21 year old tear their labrum training and playing offseason basketball? I tell ya what, that's either some of the worst luck imaginable or he was doing dumbass ****. Either way, just terrible. He's going to lose an entire offseason of strength training. He can do **** lower body stuff (no deadlifts, no squats, no olympic lifts at all) on machines and that is about absolutely it. Not to even mention he's not going to be picking up a basketball for 4 months.

This probably about seals the deal on him doing anything positive before his rookie deal is up. Just another wasted top 10 pick.

Jay williams that plays

Bulls wasted 10 pics and counting.

Since 2012 been a waste of time. (Tony snells, Bobby Portis and other fugazi ish.

This is worse than 1998-2004 IMO

These ain’t the baby bulls.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,959

Post#88 » by Wingy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:30 pm

Sucks big time. Besides something bad happening to Zach, Vuc, or PWill - this is just about as bad a thing as we could've possibly wished against. This coming season was huge for knowing what we wanted to do w/Coby moving forward, now that's a much tougher decision.

Silver lining. Perhaps all he should practice now is getting over screens. You know sure af he doesn't wanna be banging that injured shoulder into somebody...get over the screen, or feel the pain! :lol:
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#89 » by sco » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm

Wingy wrote:Sucks big time. Besides something bad happening to Zach, Vuc, or PWill - this is just about as bad a thing as we could've possibly wished against. This coming season was huge for knowing what we wanted to do w/Coby moving forward, now that's a much tougher decision.

Silver lining. Perhaps all he should practice now is getting over screens. You know sure af he doesn't wanna be banging that injured shoulder into somebody...get over the screen, or feel the pain! :lol:

I agree it sucks, I like Coby, but I've seen enough to say that he wasn't going to be starter material before the injury. He didn't give a good return on the development minutes he got this year, IMO. I'm still rooting for him to become good...just doubting it.
:clap:
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,959

Post#90 » by Wingy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:38 pm

sco wrote:
Wingy wrote:Sucks big time. Besides something bad happening to Zach, Vuc, or PWill - this is just about as bad a thing as we could've possibly wished against. This coming season was huge for knowing what we wanted to do w/Coby moving forward, now that's a much tougher decision.

I agree it sucks, I like Coby, but I've seen enough to say that he wasn't going to be starter material before the injury. He didn't give a good return on the development minutes he got this year, IMO. I'm still rooting for him to become good...just doubting it.

Idk, I don’t see him as a star, but he does have starter potential. Despite the forced minutes, I think it’s pretty widely acknowledged that player dev happens more during the offseason. Coby lost a big part of his first real offseason to COVID. Definitely a huge set back for his career arc to completely lose one now.

Return to Chicago Bulls