Image ImageImage Image

Bulls sign Tony Bradley.

Moderators: HomoSapien, RedBulls23, Michael Jackson, GimmeDat, Payt10, dougthonus, kulaz3000, Tommy Udo 6 , coldfish, Ice Man, DASMACKDOWN, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper

User avatar
Little Nathan
General Manager
Posts: 7,774
And1: 5,101
Joined: Mar 11, 2013
Location: Germany
   

Re: Bulls sign Tony Bradley. 

Post#81 » by Little Nathan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:12 am

TeamMan wrote:I guess you never saw the threads when the arguments became brutal over how great WCJ was going to be as a center in the league.

ANY suggestion that he should spend some time at PF was treated like blasphemy!


Well yeah, because that's a terrible idea.

He is and always was a center, but nobody here claimed he was going to be a superstar or anything close to that. That's 2 completely different things.
"Heart is a skill that players who shoot 3s might not have." - Chris Webber, actually getting paid for this
sco
RealGM
Posts: 18,211
And1: 5,348
Joined: Sep 22, 2003
Location: Virtually Everywhere!

Re: Bulls sign Tony Bradley. 

Post#82 » by sco » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:59 pm

TeamMan wrote:
SfBull wrote:
CaPiTanAK wrote:

I didn't remember about Tony Bradley.Good signing.Watching that video helps to show again how weak was our frontcourt with Wendell and Lauri starting,it was necessary another FO for understanding the obvious.And think about how many posters here kept defending Carter (and still like Lauri) .
I just hope these days are really past and we can now be in the right direction again.I have no problem in playing Lauri or Coby with the 2nd unit in the current roster,just not start them if really wanna win something next season.

Until he was traded, the board hyped WCJ as the Bulls next superstar at center.

This video shows how useless he was against players with height and length.

If he has any future in the NBA he'll have to play together with a rim-protector that can go against real centers in the league.

Carter showed flashes as a rookie of having both the length to be a good shot blocker and the lateral speed to guard out to the arc. IMO, the injuries and some bad training advice (ring any bells?) caused him to get slower and more ground-bound.
:clap:
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,480
And1: 498
Joined: Dec 11, 2002

Re: Bulls sign Tony Bradley. 

Post#83 » by TeamMan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:57 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
TeamMan wrote:I guess you never saw the threads when the arguments became brutal over how great WCJ was going to be as a center in the league.

ANY suggestion that he should spend some time at PF was treated like blasphemy!


Well yeah, because that's a terrible idea.

He is and always was a center, but nobody here claimed he was going to be a superstar or anything close to that. That's 2 completely different things.

If players like Bradley can turn him into toast.

And he can't play PF.

Then the only thing that he'll ever be is, MAYBE, a decent backup.

Because he'll never be a starter for a winning team.
kodo
RealGM
Posts: 15,246
And1: 10,043
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Location: Northshore Burbs

Re: Bulls sign Tony Bradley. 

Post#84 » by kodo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:16 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
TeamMan wrote:I guess you never saw the threads when the arguments became brutal over how great WCJ was going to be as a center in the league.

ANY suggestion that he should spend some time at PF was treated like blasphemy!


Well yeah, because that's a terrible idea.

He is and always was a center, but nobody here claimed he was going to be a superstar or anything close to that. That's 2 completely different things.


The Power Forward thing didn't originate from fans, that was 100% Wendell. The fact that he didn't even want to be a center was sort of an issue for me. He sounded like he was only playing center here as a favor to the Bulls.

“I’ve been playing the four all of my life,” Carter Jr. told Joe Cowley. “Even when I was at Duke, me and Marvin [Bagley] were kind of interchangeable at the four, so I don’t know. It’s definitely a conversation I’m going to bring up, but as of right now, I’m just trying to make it work with where I’m at.’’


He was releasing videos of his workouts where he was mainly doing crossover dribbles at the 3 point line like he was a PG.
I don't think there anyone here thought he was a PF, the discussion was more about why Wendell thought he was a PF.
MrSparkle
RealGM
Posts: 18,005
And1: 7,104
Joined: Jul 31, 2003
Location: chicago

Re: Bulls sign Tony Bradley. 

Post#85 » by MrSparkle » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:20 pm

WCJ is young. If he actually improves his shot and slims down/speeds up, he’ll be a good C. There will be a regret thread ala Payne.

But the reality is he wasn’t worth the salary and development. You could sign a 24yo guy like him after he figures it out to a bargain deal. No regrets moving him imo. He’d have to make an unreasonable improvement to be worth his FRP salary and Vucevic.

Good situational Centers like Bradley and Kanter ate him alive.. which means he’s not even average.
Rowland Garrett
Sophomore
Posts: 214
And1: 162
Joined: Jul 12, 2015
       

Re: Bulls sign Tony Bradley. 

Post#86 » by Rowland Garrett » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:25 pm

TeamMan wrote:
Rowland Garrett wrote:
TeamMan wrote:Until he was traded, the board hyped WCJ as the Bulls next superstar at center.

This video shows how useless he was against players with height and length.

If he has any future in the NBA he'll have to play together with a rim-protector that can go against real centers in the league.

Until he was traded the board hyped him as a superstar? Crazy man!

I don't know what board you were at, but you're in a good place now. This board agonized over his struggle after struggle.

WOW!!!

I guess you never saw the threads when the arguments became brutal over how great WCJ was going to be as a center in the league.

ANY suggestion that he should spend some time at PF was treated like blasphemy!

Oh yea, I remember.

Yes, in the early days of his career when we didn't know what he was. You said "until he was traded the board hyped him" NO by then most of the board wanted him gone.
CaPiTanAK
Senior
Posts: 543
And1: 271
Joined: Dec 26, 2020

Re: Bulls sign Tony Bradley. 

Post#87 » by CaPiTanAK » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:36 pm

Julius Randle bounces around 3 different destinations before finding a home in NYC. If WCJ isn't going to be a bust, it will likely be a similar pathway.
khufure
Analyst
Posts: 3,674
And1: 1,234
Joined: Jul 08, 2010
Location: California
     

Re: Bulls sign Tony Bradley. 

Post#88 » by khufure » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:57 pm

MrSparkle wrote:WCJ is young. If he actually improves his shot and slims down/speeds up, he’ll be a good C. There will be a regret thread ala Payne.

But the reality is he wasn’t worth the salary and development. You could sign a 24yo guy like him after he figures it out to a bargain deal. No regrets moving him imo. He’d have to make an unreasonable improvement to be worth his FRP salary and Vucevic.

Good situational Centers like Bradley and Kanter ate him alive.. which means he’s not even average.

WCJ got worse and worse at pick & roll defense for years. I'm pretty sure Boozer+Nate Robinson was better at P&R defense than WCJ+White. It's not a body type decision it's a consistent mental failure. It will be much worse in the playoffs than regular season too. A Chris Paul type or top coach will massacre WCJ weakness.

I suspect Vuc + Bradley rotation will be fun to watch.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,480
And1: 498
Joined: Dec 11, 2002

Re: Bulls sign Tony Bradley. 

Post#89 » by TeamMan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 pm

khufure wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:WCJ is young. If he actually improves his shot and slims down/speeds up, he’ll be a good C. There will be a regret thread ala Payne.

But the reality is he wasn’t worth the salary and development. You could sign a 24yo guy like him after he figures it out to a bargain deal. No regrets moving him imo. He’d have to make an unreasonable improvement to be worth his FRP salary and Vucevic.

Good situational Centers like Bradley and Kanter ate him alive.. which means he’s not even average.

WCJ got worse and worse at pick & roll defense for years. I'm pretty sure Boozer+Nate Robinson was better at P&R defense than WCJ+White. It's not a body type decision it's a consistent mental failure. It will be much worse in the playoffs than regular season too. A Chris Paul type or top coach will massacre WCJ weakness.

I suspect Vuc + Bradley rotation will be fun to watch.

Agreed.

Vuc actually shifts to PF (in twin towers rotation) and BD puts his best wing defenders on the wings.

Could terrorize some teams for short periods (10-15 min).
Red8911
RealGM
Posts: 11,372
And1: 2,923
Joined: Jul 13, 2010
Location: BROOKLYN

Re: Bulls sign Tony Bradley. 

Post#90 » by Red8911 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:51 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:Julius Randle bounces around 3 different destinations before finding a home in NYC. If WCJ isn't going to be a bust, it will likely be a similar pathway.

Randle was always better though in his first years.He was never Carter bad.In NY he took a huge step and turned into a star player for them.
MrSparkle
RealGM
Posts: 18,005
And1: 7,104
Joined: Jul 31, 2003
Location: chicago

Re: Bulls sign Tony Bradley. 

Post#91 » by MrSparkle » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:44 pm

Red8911 wrote:
CaPiTanAK wrote:Julius Randle bounces around 3 different destinations before finding a home in NYC. If WCJ isn't going to be a bust, it will likely be a similar pathway.

Randle was always better though in his first years.He was never Carter bad.In NY he took a huge step and turned into a star player for them.


Yeah Randle was a blackhole but could definitely score baskets. Wendell was spoon-fed offense and couldn’t score jack.
d boy gentleman
Veteran
Posts: 2,706
And1: 824
Joined: Jun 02, 2009
     

Re: Bulls sign Tony Bradley. 

Post#92 » by d boy gentleman » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:49 pm

coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint, not with the league but with the local police. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

Return to Chicago Bulls