Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Remaining Roster Spot Discussion

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Re: Bulls Remaining Roster Spot Discussion 

Post#21 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:38 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:
TheFinishSniper wrote:Williams is not PF. And ill die by those words

Nope, he's definitely not a prototypical PF. But the league has changed. A lot of small ball being played. I think it all depends on the teams system. If he can hold his own defensively against most of the PF's in the league that is all that matters.

Its a position-less league now. Well not exactly position-less but you still have players that can swing between positions based on their skillset. I think we have seen a lot of smaller wing type players playing PF the last couple years. We are also seeing a lot of smaller guards or multiple PG's play next to each other and smaller guards playing SF. Same can be said about the center position. I mean we were playing Thad at center. The league has changed.

Remember he is playing next a big that struggles on defense. I’m just not sure he is ready for this assignment.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,065

Post#22 » by MrSparkle » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:40 pm

Well, he started about 30 games at PF last year, spent over 40% of his time at the position, and projects to split the forward duties with DeRozan, depending on match-ups... So... claim what you will, but like Giannis, Iguodala, Crowder, Tatum, Mikal, Durant, Hayward, OG and many other "SFs", he is going to spend half of his time at "PF" unless there is one more drastic roster change.

He can't create a play off-the-dribble if his life depended on it, so I really hope he figures out how to use his size when he is a SF.

Perhaps his long-term best spot will be utilizing his size advantage at SF, but in the meantime, he does not have the perimeter skills to face-up wing defenders with quick feet and hands, unless he's simply shooting over them with his height advantage, or powering his way in the paint.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#23 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:43 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:

Nope, he's definitely not a prototypical PF. But the league has changed. A lot of small ball being played. I think it all depends on the teams system. If he can hold his own defensively against most of the PF's in the league that is all that matters.

Its a position-less league now. Well not exactly position-less but you still have players that can swing between positions based on their skillset. I think we have seen a lot of smaller wing type players playing PF the last couple years. We are also seeing a lot of smaller guards or multiple PG's play next to each other and smaller guards playing SF. Same can be said about the center position. I mean we were playing Thad at center. The league has changed.

Remember he is playing next a big that struggles on defense. I’m just not sure he is ready for this assignment.

So you are worried about his help defense abilities or Vuc's help defense abilities? TBH I'd be more worried about our defense with Lauri at PF than with Williams.
aramada
Analyst
And1: 950

Post#24 » by aramada » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:46 pm

Hoping Millsap is patiently waiting for Lauri's saga to be over... I don't see a more perfect fit among remaining FAs
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#25 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:47 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:

So you are worried about his help defense abilities or Vuc's help defense abilities? TBH I'd be more worried about our defense with Lauri at PF than with Williams.

Lauri is irrelevant as he is gone. I worried that Williams cannot being a starting PF on a team with high expectations. Derozan played a lot of PF in SA and I sure as Hell don’t want him doing that here.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#26 » by Chi town » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:52 pm

MrSparkle wrote:

Well, he started about 30 games at PF last year, spent over 40% of his time at the position, and projects to split the forward duties with DeRozan, depending on match-ups... So... claim what you will, but like Giannis, Iguodala, Crowder, Tatum, Mikal, Durant, Hayward, OG and many other "SFs", he is going to spend half of his time at "PF" unless there is one more drastic roster change.

He can't create a play off-the-dribble if his life depended on it, so I really hope he figures out how to use his size when he is a SF.

Perhaps his long-term best spot will be utilizing his size advantage at SF, but in the meantime, he does not have the perimeter skills to face-up wing defenders with quick feet and hands, unless he's simply shooting over them with his height advantage, or powering his way in the paint.

BillyD didnt' give him the opps to post up on SF's or take PFs off the dribble on offense. PW stayed in the corner and occassionally moved off ball for cuts. He did this much better after Vuc showed up.

I think PW can be a real problem for more traditional PFs off the dribble once he learns how to use his quickness and create contact for FTs. I also like him alot at SF using his size and hops to shoot over peopel in the high and mid post.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#27 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:53 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

Lauri is irrelevant as he is gone. I worried that Williams cannot being a starting PF on a team with high expectations. Derozan played a lot of PF in SA and I sure as Hell don’t want him doing that here.

Yeah but the idea isn’t irrelevant. We’re talking about a PF by definition of the position no? I mean what does it matter? I mean we’ll see how it goes but I’m more interested in upgrading the front court depth than I am the starters.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#28 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 4:22 pm

Now that Birch is gone, Im hoping for Millsap as PF starter and J.Hart S & T for White, PWill goes to bench. Then we sign T. Bey and Spellman or Shittu from SL team if they play good.

Ball, Lavine, DeRozan, Millsap, Vucevic
Caruso, J.Hart, Brown, Williams, Bradley
Dotson, A.Dosonmu, Bey, Shittu, Simonovic
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#29 » by mtron32 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:13 pm

BahamaBull wrote:I would take a look at Paul Millsap. Yes, he is 36 but we are in win now mode. He was AKs 4 next to Jokic in Denver.

He had a solid season last year...Is an UFA...Not the best option but take a look at the market...Theres not much out there.

I like Millsap for a backup 4, we need that now that Thad is gone.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,236

Post#30 » by kodo » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:15 pm

Just wanted to look up some defensive play type stats for the possible bigs.

Isolation defense
Markkanen: 46th percentile
Williams: 52nd percentile
Millsap: 70th percentile
Vuc CHI: 76th
Vuc ORL: 1
Bradley: 98th

P&R Ballhandler
Markkanen: 10th
Williams: 33rd
Millsap: 6th
Vuc: no data
Bradley: no data

P&R Rollman
Markkanen: 49th
Williams: 77th
Millsap: 72nd
Vucevic CHI: 28th
Vucevic ORL: 54th
Bradley: 39th

Spot Up defense
Markkanen: 83rd
Williams: 24th
Millsap: 23rd
Vuc CHI: 39th
Vuc ORL: 76th
Bradley OKC: 90th
Bradley PHI: 68th

Post Up defense
Markkanen: 83rd
Williams: 32nd
Millsap: 73rd
Vuc CHI: 29th
Vuc ORL: 58th
Bradley OKC: 94th
Bradley PHI: 36th

Bradley looks really interesting for a vet min.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#31 » by sco » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:24 pm

Another point is that we can't really go into the season counting on, in any meaningful way, on either Ayo or Marko. They are rookies, and while they may be great, they are more likely going to struggle this season. As such, while I am temped to try to keep a guy like Baxter on the roster because his skills fit our most gaping hole, we probably can't risk another roster spot on a rookie (But a 2-way deal would be awesome).
:clap:
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,897

Post#32 » by meekrab » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:26 pm

Reality is that there is no such thing anymore as a "PF" in the NBA, everyone plays 4 or 5 guys on the perimeter and there are simply 6-7"-6-10" wings who aren't fast enough to guard a LeBron James or Kevin Durant and so they match up with the other team's slowest wing player. Patrick Williams is certainly athletic enough to guard anybody in the league, and so he's our "SF" until proven otherwise.
sco
RealGM

Post#33 » by sco » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:30 pm

Ok, Green is back now. So we probably aren't looking for another wing.
BahamaBull
General Manager
And1: 2,123

Post#34 » by BahamaBull » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:34 pm

Millsap please!
VintageBulls
Sophomore
And1: 104

Post#35 » by VintageBulls » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:36 pm

Jared Vanderbilt and Josh Hart please .
BahamaBull
General Manager
And1: 2,123

Post#36 » by BahamaBull » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:45 pm

VintageBulls wrote:Jared Vanderbilt and Josh Hart please .

Hart is restricted. I like him...Dude is 6-5 and averages 8 rebounds per game :o
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#37 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:53 pm

League Circles wrote:Anybody have thoughts on these UFA bigs?

Isaiah Hartenstein
Dj Wilson
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Can we get any of them and can they defend?

I'd be fine signing one of them and keeping Felicio, Green and Valentine on minimum deals.

I really really want the Felicio era to end, no matter what.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#38 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Aug 6, 2021 7:32 pm

I want Jarred Vanderbilt, Ntilikina, and Markus Howard.

S+T Lauri for Vanderbilt and a minor draft asset.

Sign Ntilikina and Howard with the MLE.
sco
RealGM

Post#39 » by sco » Fri Aug 6, 2021 7:54 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:I want Jarred Vanderbilt, Ntilikina, and Markus Howard.

How is Ntilikina not totally redundant with our current roster?
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#40 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Aug 6, 2021 8:14 pm

sco wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:I want Jarred Vanderbilt, Ntilikina, and Markus Howard.

How is Ntilikina not totally redundant with our current roster?

He's a bit redundant with Caruso I suppose.

But I like him as a 3/D prospect. Still very young. And we can potentially sign him for cheap over multiple years.

Return to Chicago Bulls