Image ImageImage Image

WOJ: NBA investigating possible tampering: Update Bulls forfeit 2nd Round Pick pg. 31

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Re: WOJ: NBA opening up investigations into possible tampering violations on Ball trade 

Post#61 » by Jstock12 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:09 pm

GarPax never tampered!
nekorajo
Bench Warmer
And1: 580

Re: WOJ: NBA opening up investigations into possible tampering violations on Ball trade 

Post#62 » by nekorajo » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:10 pm

This is ridiculous. As long as they didn't speak with Ball prior to free agency, what's the issue? We should strongly consider boycotting the NBA if they rescind AKME's work.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,388

Post#63 » by fleet » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:10 pm

LateNight wrote:If silver goes after this say “bye bye” to any credibility he still had with fans

If he selectively goes after the teams that win the game instead of everyone else playing it as well, his policy and enforcement mechanisms are a joke. They really should come up with an alternative approach to the traveshamockery of his tampering policies.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#64 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:11 pm

Stupid question - but I assume Chicago was allowed to talk to New Orleans about hypothetical S&T's prior to the start of FA? If so - whats to stop the clubs from finalizing these hypotheticals (without player contact) before FA officially opens?
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#65 » by fleet » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:11 pm

Jstock12 wrote:GarPax never tampered!

I see what you did there :wink:
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
nekorajo
Bench Warmer

Post#66 » by nekorajo » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:11 pm

Jstock12 wrote:GarPax never tampered!

Neither has AKME.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,743

Post#67 » by dougthonus » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:14 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Stupid question - but I assume Chicago was allowed to talk to New Orleans about hypothetical S&T's prior to the start of FA? If so - whats to stop the clubs from finalizing these hypotheticals (without player contact) before FA officially opens?

I assume the same, but maybe teams are not allowed to talk during this quiet period either.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#68 » by fleet » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:18 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
mj234eva wrote:But it's what the player wanted. I mean, this was known during last season even that he wanted to go to the Bulls. So that's not really "tampering" in the tampering sense.

Lebron and his people legit tamper, and nothing comes of it.

That just seems so unlikely to me. Even if you wanted to go to Chicago at the trade deadline, you'd likely want to have at least a conversation with them as a free-agent, be wooed a little, get an understanding of they want to use you, etc. They Ball signing was announced within a few minutes, so I think we can all assume that those conversations likely happened before free-agency opened.

Certainly. And the deals got leaked so quickly because the principles assume nobody would bat an eye because all interested teams were all in the same pig trough together and it is common knowledge around the NBA. And there are advantages to leaking the deals. In that kind of environment, the league stepping down on one team arbitrarily would reasonably not be expected by those teams. But here we are, the Bulls are the bad guy. Look at them now. Silver is Bozo the clown for going down this road.
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#69 » by Grodoboldo » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:20 pm

fleet wrote:Yeah, in a league with Lebron James, the Bulls are the ones to go after.

This is exactly how I feel. This is a **** joke.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#70 » by DJhitek » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:21 pm

The Bulls and Pelicans probably had numerous discussions at the deadline and probably already had the framework of the deal setup.

That said, everyone tampers, the NBA needs to evolve their timelines and events. Just let the communication roam free once the NBA Finals are done.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,583

Post#71 » by DuckIII » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:21 pm

First, I don’t care. Fine us.

Second, don’t do this MLB steroid era thing where you know exactly what’s going on and only pretend, selectively, to get your panties in a bunch.

I mean, I watched the “free agent frenzy” special on The Jump, and for an hour before free agency officially opened they’re telling us “in 30 minutes we’ll have deals to announce” and then 15 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 then 1. They are literally telling us they will immediately have deals to announce and even had this stupid smoke machine to set off whenever they would announce the transaction.

And this is the NBA’s primary television partner. Come on. Be real. How dumb do you think we are?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#72 » by fleet » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:23 pm

DuckIII wrote:First, I don’t care. Fine us.

Second, don’t do this MLB steroid era thing where you know exactly what’s going on and only pretend, selectively, to get your panties in a bunch.

I mean, I’m watching the “free agent frenzy” special on Th Jump, and for an hour before free agency officially opened they’re telling us “in 30 minutes we’ll have deals to announce” and then 15 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 then 1 they are literally tell us they will immediately have deals to announce and even had this stupid smoke machine to set off whenever they would announce the trade.

And this is the NBA’s primary television partner. Come on. Be real. How dumb do you think we are?

That’s hilarious. My God, Silver.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,694

Post#73 » by GoBlue72391 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:23 pm

HomoSapien wrote:On August 2nd:

HomoSapien wrote:I feel like we are going to get disciplined for tampering again. We clearly are talking to everyone and their agents.

Didn't you also predict the Vuch trade a few months ago?
MisterRoy
Veteran
And1: 1,001

WOJ: NBA opening up investigations into possible tampering violations on Ball trade 

Post#74 » by MisterRoy » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:23 pm

Can the following happen before free agency and not violate tampering rules?

1. NO and Chi talk about S&T
2. NO talks to Lonzo about joining the Bulls.
3. Lonzo agrees to sign with Chicago and notifies NO?
4. NO and Chi agree to S&T

Sent from somewhere you've never been.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,694

Post#75 » by GoBlue72391 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:24 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
Devinpo wrote:Will that void the trade?

An increase in fines for tampering, for entering into unauthorized agreements with players and even for talking about players under contract elsewhere passed unanimously, commissioner Adam Silver said, in a vote of the Board of Governors. Final figures still were to be determined, though reports have suggested the maximum fines could rise to $10 million for tampering, $6 million for improper deals and $5 million for comments enticing other teams’ players.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-increases-fines-tampering

We might as well go into the Luxury Tax at this point and field the best roster possible.
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#76 » by waffle » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:25 pm

sigh

sigh

and lastly

sigh
nekorajo
Bench Warmer

Post#77 » by nekorajo » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:26 pm

From the NBA Constitution:

"Any Player who, directly or indirectly, entices,
induces, persuades or attempts to entice, induce, or persuade any
Player, Coach, Trainer, General Manager or any other person who is
under contract to any other Member of the Association to enter into
negotiations for or relating to his services or negotiates or contracts for
such services shall, on being charged with such tampering, be given an
opportunity to answer such charges after due notice and the
Commissioner shall have the power to decide whether or not the
charges have been sustained; in the event his decision is that the
charges have been sustained, then the Commissioner shall have the
power to suspend such Player for a definite or indefinite period, or to
impose a fine not exceeding $50,000, or inflict both such suspension
and fine upon any such Player."

https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2019/09/NBA-Constitution-By-Laws-September-2019-1.pdf
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#78 » by erlim » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:27 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
Devinpo wrote:Will that void the trade?

An increase in fines for tampering, for entering into unauthorized agreements with players and even for talking about players under contract elsewhere passed unanimously, commissioner Adam Silver said, in a vote of the Board of Governors. Final figures still were to be determined, though reports have suggested the maximum fines could rise to $10 million for tampering, $6 million for improper deals and $5 million for comments enticing other teams’ players.

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-increases-fines-tampering

We might as well go into the Luxury Tax at this point and field the best roster possible.

Woof. Hope Michael Reinsdorf likes fines.
DJhitek
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,354

Post#79 » by DJhitek » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:32 pm

DuckIII wrote:First, I don’t care. Fine us.

I mean, I watched the “free agent frenzy” special on The Jump, and for an hour before free agency officially opened they’re telling us “in 30 minutes we’ll have deals to announce” and then 15 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 then 1. They are literally telling us they will immediately have deals to announce and even had this stupid smoke machine to set off whenever they would announce the trade.

Completely agree, evolve NBA, understand this and the trade deadline are some of the absolute highs of your sport when it pertains to interest. Just let it happen.
nekorajo
Bench Warmer

Post#80 » by nekorajo » Sat Aug 7, 2021 7:33 pm

More from the NBA Constitution. This part deals with rules for non-players:

Article 35A
No person may, directly or indirectly, (i) entice,
induce, persuade or attempt to entice, induce or persuade any Coach,
Trainer, General Manager or any other person who is under contract to
any other Member of the Association to enter into negotiations for or
relating to his services or negotiate or contract for such services or (ii)
otherwise interfere with any such employer-employee relationship of any other Member of the Association. The Commissioner, either in his
discretion or at the request of any Member who alleges that its
employee has been tampered with, shall conduct an investigation into
whether a person has violated the anti-tampering rule set forth in the
prior sentence. In the event that, following such investigation and a
hearing at which the person (and the Member employing the person
allegedly tampered with) has an opportunity to be heard after due
notice, the Commissioner determines that the anti-tampering rule has
been violated, he shall have the power, in his sole discretion, to impose
a penalty for such offense, which penalty may include (without
limitation) the suspension of such person for a definite or indefinite
period; the prohibition of the Member employing or otherwise affiliated
with the offending person from hiring the person being tampered with
for a definite or indefinite period; the forfeiture of Draft picks held by
the Member employing or otherwise affiliated with the offending
person or the transfer of such Draft picks to the Member aggrieved by
the tampering; and/or the imposition of a fine upon the offending
person and/or the Member employing or otherwise affiliated with such
offending person in an amount not to exceed $10,000,000. In the event
that the Commissioner imposes a fine, he may direct that some or all of
the fine be paid directly to the Member aggrieved by the tampering.
(f) No person may, directly or indirectly, (i) entice,
induce, persuade, or attempt to entice, induce or persuade, any Player
who is under contract to, or whose exclusive negotiating rights are held
by, any other Member of the Association to enter into negotiations for
or relating to his services or negotiate or contract for such services or
(ii) otherwise interfere with any such employer-employee relationship
(or prospective employer-employee relationship in the case of a Player
subject to exclusive negotiating rights) of any other Member of the
Association. The Commissioner, either in his discretion or at the
request of a Member who alleges that its Player has been tampered
with, shall conduct an investigation into whether a person has violated
the anti-tampering rule set forth in the prior sentence. In the event that,
following such investigation and a hearing at which the person (and the
Member employing the person allegedly tampered with) has an
opportunity to be heard after due notice, the Commissioner determines that the anti-tampering rule has been violated, he shall have the power,
in his sole discretion, to impose a penalty for such offense, which
penalty may include (without limitation) the suspension of such person
for a definite or indefinite period; the prohibition of the Member
employing or otherwise affiliated with the offending person from hiring
the Player tampered with for a definite or indefinite period; the
forfeiture of Draft picks held by the Member employing or otherwise
affiliated with the offending person or the transfer of such Draft picks
to the aggrieved Member; and/or the imposition of a fine upon the
offending person and/or the Member employing or otherwise affiliated
with such offending person in an amount not to exceed $10,000,000. In
the event that the Commissioner imposes a fine, he may direct that
some or all of the fine be paid directly to the Member aggrieved by the