Image ImageImage Image

Coby White discussion thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,766

Re: Coby White discussion thread 

Post#61 » by beeshma » Wed Sep 1, 2021 4:47 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
Sure he was an OK pick given the 5-10, but every pick counts. Kenny Smith said it best in an interview; you know the laziest scouts when they stick to Duke/UNC type super school picks. It was an indirect knock on the Bulls. Not to say you can't find good picks there, but there are always under-the-radar schools to scout... and GarPax sure liked their off-shelf chicken stock. (Strangely enough I can't even remember Bulls taking the more guaranteed NCAA-to-NBA KYU program players - last Calipari pick they took was Rose, I think?)

Totally agree

MrSparkle wrote:Lauri is a lumbering short-armed T-Rex

:bowdown:

MrSparkle wrote:Bad picks add up, but even 1 Thybulle is better than those

I think it is a very rare organization to be able to trade down from pick 7 to the 15-20 range and go for Thybulle, or to be able to find a Talen Horton Tucker in the 40-50 range. It requires a change in mindset that we see only in a few organizations. Denver actually showed this with their recent MPJ and Bol Bol picks, so let us hope Karnishowvitz has this talent and Reinsdorf doesn't squelch it.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#62 » by sco » Wed Sep 1, 2021 5:50 pm

ArtMorte wrote:
gardenofsound wrote:
ArtMorte wrote:Coby White has got bags of talent, he can score in so many ways. We absolutely need to give him more time to figure out the decision-making, mental side of his game. He's only 21 and some players simply are late bloomers!

You're not wrong.

But the problem with "late bloomers" is that there's usually at least one other team willing to make the gamble on that and pay them on potential, not current production. Lauri Markkanen may end up being a perfect example of this.

I don't believe Coby White will be wearing a Bulls uniform in October, 2023. He will either get the WCJ or Lauri outcome unless he really breaks out between now and then.

I think you're wrong and I don't hold that against you. I believe Coby needs another year or two and he will break out. This type of PGs don't come about all the time. He already can shoot, he just needs to finesse the drives. His ability to take on defenders off the dribble seems so natural, we just need to let him figure the rest of it out.

Markkanen has been a much more finished product for all his years at Bulls, whereas I think Coby still has potential to become almost the next Lavine. He is one to persevere with.

IMO, the late bloomers are guys who showed flashes of what they could do that is "elite" early on, but need to get rid of bad habits (keeping them off the floor) or develop consistency. I just don't see Coby having flashes of that, except as a 3pt shooter, and even there, he's not doing it like Curry, Dame or Trae...just catch and shoot stuff.
:clap:
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,676

Post#63 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 6:35 pm

I think Coby is next on the chopping block, but assuming he returns from injury sooner rather than later and with no lingering effects, this season should be his chance to show us who the real Coby is. He looked pretty good as a rookie when he was a designated gunner off the bench who played little to no PG, but clearly looked out of his element as a PG last season.

He'll probably average closer to 20 MPG than the 31 MPG he averaged last season, but he could thrive as a designated bench scorer with minimal PG duties. Unless TBJ takes a step forward, Coby is really our only consistent bench scoring option, so the opportunity will likely be there. If you can somehow limit his involvement in P&R/point of attack defensive situations as a bench SG with Caruso and Lonzo then he would be in an ideal situation.

Having said that, I expect AKME to trade him once he rebuilds some of his trade value,
HearshotKDS
Sixth Man
And1: 846

Post#64 » by HearshotKDS » Wed Sep 1, 2021 8:07 pm

Pretty optimistic on White going forward (and I was originally someone who hated the pick) - mostly because the Bulls no longer need him to be something hes not. I imagine there is significantly less pressure on him now compared to even where he was at at the beginning of this last season. Im guessing he will be put in a role where the Bulls ask him to provide microwave scoring off the bench - if he can keep improving efficiency and more important in my mind consistency (no more terrible starts to the season followed by strong ends) then he can definitely make a niche for himself in the NBA.
Nikola
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#65 » by Nikola » Thu Sep 9, 2021 10:08 pm

Coby looking sharp with the new haircut. With 2 lb's less hair and weighing 200 lb's he should be 1% faster, right?
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,440

Post#66 » by samwana » Thu Sep 9, 2021 10:34 pm

Coby's best as a catch and shoot 6th man and with our new team he can be just that. If he can cope with coming of the bench and being a supersub, that's where he should be lethal.
I like Coby, I hope he gets it!

RealGM mobile app
sco
RealGM

Post#67 » by sco » Thu Sep 9, 2021 11:40 pm

Has anyone heard about his recovery status?
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#68 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:42 am

Read on Twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#69 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:09 am

sco wrote:Has anyone heard about his recovery status?

No but he has been at some practices though right? I am assuming all is well, hopefully he can get some cardio in, at least on the bike or something that is low impact that doesn’t jostle the shoulder.
eierluke
Lead Assistant
And1: 87

Post#70 » by eierluke » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:58 am

In bleacherreports redraft of 2019 he'd go now at #20
sven petersson
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,132

Post#71 » by HomoSapien » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:43 am

MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ugh...didn't he say earlier this season that he was afraid to get close to teammates in case they got traded?
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#72 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:15 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:I think Coby is next on the chopping block, but assuming he returns from injury sooner rather than later and with no lingering effects, this season should be his chance to show us who the real Coby is. He looked pretty good as a rookie when he was a designated gunner off the bench who played little to no PG, but clearly looked out of his element as a PG last season.

He'll probably average closer to 20 MPG than the 31 MPG he averaged last season, but he could thrive as a designated bench scorer with minimal PG duties. Unless TBJ takes a step forward, Coby is really our only consistent bench scoring option, so the opportunity will likely be there. If you can somehow limit his involvement in P&R/point of attack defensive situations as a bench SG with Caruso and Lonzo then he would be in an ideal situation.

Having said that, I expect AKME to trade him once he rebuilds some of his trade value,

I agree on all points. I really would t. I don’t keeping White and developing him in the bench scorer role, I think he can be really good as that guy, but I think AK is looking to trade him as you said. He has jettisoned everything not named Zach from the previous regime, I don’t see him stopping now.
sco
RealGM

Post#73 » by sco » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:44 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:I think Coby is next on the chopping block, but assuming he returns from injury sooner rather than later and with no lingering effects, this season should be his chance to show us who the real Coby is. He looked pretty good as a rookie when he was a designated gunner off the bench who played little to no PG, but clearly looked out of his element as a PG last season.

I agree on all points. I really would t. I don’t keeping White and developing him in the bench scorer role, I think he can be really good as that guy, but I think AK is looking to trade him as you said. He has jettisoned everything not named Zach from the previous regime, I don’t see him stopping now.

I'd be thrilled if White comes in and adds enough to his game (more than catch-and-shoot offensively) and becomes average defensively to warrant being a 6th man type guy on his next deal. We can give him to the deadline and try to get anything we can from him via trade if he doesn't show improvement, but we'd need to feel comfortable that another guy on the roster or someone we can pickup at the deadline brings the same. If he does improve, then we can wait until the offseason to decide, but we will be limited to low salary replacements due to our tax situation. I guess we could get lucky with Ayo, TBJ or Thomas that one of them shows surprising scoring ability. If that's Ayo, it would be a homerun (I really want him to play a ton of G-league and develop his shooting/scoring prowess this season).
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,680

Post#74 » by madvillian » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:35 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

Everything about this guy just screams "flake".
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
sco
RealGM

Post#75 » by sco » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:01 pm

madvillian wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm not a huge Coby fan, but I think he's pretty together, but I think relationships with teammates is important to him.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,680

Post#76 » by madvillian » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:47 pm

sco wrote:
madvillian wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm not a huge Coby fan, but I think he's pretty together, but I think relationships with teammates is important to him.

That's fine but what a strange quote and he doesn't seem like a guy that handles adversity well.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
sco
RealGM

Post#77 » by sco » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:03 pm

madvillian wrote:
sco wrote:
madvillian wrote:

That's fine but what a strange quote and he doesn't seem like a guy that handles adversity well.

Meh...he's never impressed me with his press savvy. I'm more worried about his play this season after his surgery.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#78 » by meekrab » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:40 pm

DeMar gotta take the youngster under his wing and explain how the league works, I guess.
ghostinthepost1
Junior
And1: 225

Post#79 » by ghostinthepost1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 pm

samwana wrote:Coby's best as a catch and shoot 6th man and with our new team he can be just that. If he can cope with coming of the bench and being a supersub, that's where he should be lethal.

RealGM mobile app

I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread about how one of Coby's strengths is his catch-and-shoot ability so I decided to go look it up.

Last year Coby shot
163/454 on all three point attempts, a rate of 35.9%
121/333 on catch-and-shoot attempts, a rate of 36.3%
42/121 on off the dribble attempts, a rate of 34.7%

So yea, like 79% of his 3s last year were already catch and shoot and he hit them at about league average. Don't know where the perception he's like JJ Reddick came from.
sco
RealGM

Post#80 » by sco » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:28 pm

ghostinthepost1 wrote:
samwana wrote:Coby's best as a catch and shoot 6th man and with our new team he can be just that. If he can cope with coming of the bench and being a supersub, that's where he should be lethal.

RealGM mobile app

I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread about how one of Coby's strengths is his catch-and-shoot ability so I decided to go look it up.

Last year Coby shot
163/454 on all three point attempts, a rate of 35.9%
121/333 on catch-and-shoot attempts, a rate of 36.3%
42/121 on off the dribble attempts, a rate of 34.7%

So yea, like 79% of his 3s last year were already catch and shoot and he hit them at about league average. Don't know where the perception he's like JJ Reddick came from.

It's a fair point. He needs to get generally better at scoring efficiently and playing defense to be worth much going forward. His injury is a problem as it killed his offseason development, and given where he is in his rookie deal, it starts becoming of low value after this season. It will be like threading a needle to find value for him before his contract becomes of low trade value, but he has limited trade value now. Best case, somehow he improves a TON this season and we want to resign him - otherwise, his incremental value over vet min talent is negligible.

Return to Chicago Bulls