Image ImageImage Image

Lauri appreciation thread - Bye GarPax era

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

chefo
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,386

Re: Lauri appreciation thread - Bye GarPax era 

Post#201 » by chefo » Thu Oct 7, 2021 1:09 pm

Lauri is who he is--a very talented scorer who needs to become a good defender to truly make a difference.

He's been the least of the Cavs issues the first two games. Watched the Bulls game, just skimmed through the highlights of the Hawks game. For one, he looks much quicker on his feet and off the ground, like rookie Lauri.

In 34 total minutes, he has scored 24 points, on 9/17 shooting, grabbed some boards and has nice shooting splits--pretty much what you'd expect out of him. That includes him missing some bunnies he'd usually make in the first half of the Bulls game, probably because of butterflies. Once Love is gone, if Lauri gets 30 min game, his raw stats will turn some heads and make him look like a bargain. That Cavs team doesn't have that much firepower outside of their starting guards and Mobley does not seem to be a good match for their $100M C, at least on paper, so with minutes there will be shot opportunities.

Wish him all the best, unless playing the Bulls. I really think he drew the short straw having to deal with the clusterF of an organization that the Bulls were for most of his time here. But I also see why they didn't want him around at 18M per. He doesn't fit what they're trying to do one bit and he's too pricey to play backup to Vuc for 18 min / game.
FanInTheAttic
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#202 » by FanInTheAttic » Thu Oct 7, 2021 2:11 pm

Lauri's game has been solid enough in the preseason games, considering the circumstances. Cavs acquired him for his shooting, but he hasn't been given many opportunities to catch and shoot yet, maybe this will develop over time when the players get more used to playing together. In the Hawks game Lauri gave many good passes and some of them even ended up in his stats, this is something new that he wasn't doing with the Bulls.

I totally understand why he wanted a fresh start somewhere else, even in a lesser team. Bulls would have had use for him coming from the bench though, but not for 16m PER.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#203 » by FriedRise » Sat Oct 9, 2021 3:17 pm

They’re all trying it!

Read on Twitter
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Post#204 » by GoBlue72391 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 4:06 pm

chefo wrote:Lauri is who he is--a very talented scorer who needs to become a good defender to truly make a difference.

He's been the least of the Cavs issues the first two games. Watched the Bulls game, just skimmed through the highlights of the Hawks game. For one, he looks much quicker on his feet and off the ground, like rookie Lauri.

In 34 total minutes, he has scored 24 points, on 9/17 shooting, grabbed some boards and has nice shooting splits--pretty much what you'd expect out of him. That includes him missing some bunnies he'd usually make in the first half of the Bulls game, probably because of butterflies. Once Love is gone, if Lauri gets 30 min game, his raw stats will turn some heads and make him look like a bargain. That Cavs team doesn't have that much firepower outside of their starting guards and Mobley does not seem to be a good match for their $100M C, at least on paper, so with minutes there will be shot opportunities.

Wish him all the best, unless playing the Bulls. I really think he drew the short straw having to deal with the clusterF of an organization that the Bulls were for most of his time here. But I also see why they didn't want him around at 18M per. He doesn't fit what they're trying to do one bit and he's too pricey to play backup to Vuc for 18 min / game.

I've been keeping an eye on the Cavs games because of Lauri, and honestly, his role in their offense is not much different than it was in Chicago. He'll go long stretches without touching the ball or getting a shot, just like he did in Chicago. A lot of standing around on the perimeter, very little of that preseason fluff talk about "Cavs want Lauri to be more than just a spot up shooter."

Still way too early to make any major judgements, but Lauri is way too comfortable just being another guy out there. He might say he wants to be an all-star, but there comes a point where he'll actually have to play like one. Standing around not doing anything, not calling for the ball, not being involved in the plays, etc. isn't going to do him any favors. I still believe in his talent/skillset, but if he's ever going to approach his ceiling he'll have to break out of his tendency to be just another guy out there. If it doesn't happen in Cleveland, it probably never will.

Having said that, he has been very productive for them in limited minutes and his athleticism and passing look improved. He's averaging 22 and 10 per 36. I do think Sexton is a ballstopper and it doesn't make sense for them to start two traditional big men who can't stretch the floor.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#205 » by GoBlue72391 » Sat Oct 9, 2021 4:07 pm

FriedRise wrote:They’re all trying it!

Read on Twitter

They tried that jumbo lineup last night and it worked well for them. Small sample size disclaimer, obviously.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,683

Post#206 » by Dez » Sat Oct 9, 2021 8:44 pm

FriedRise wrote:They’re all trying it!

Read on Twitter

It'll probably take 82 games before they realise it's a horrible idea.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,549

Post#207 » by PaKii94 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:24 am

After the shell shocking in the first game, Lauri is back in form.
P36

22p/8r/4a/1to/3.2stocks 69%TS

The assist bump up is nice to see. He's not even that much more involved but he's definitely getting more varied touches than he did on the bulls.
GrowingHorns
Rookie
And1: 612

Post#208 » by GrowingHorns » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:58 am

PaKii94 wrote:After the shell shocking in the first game, Lauri is back in form.
P36

The assist bump up is nice to see. He's not even that much more involved but he's definitely getting more varied touches than he did on the bulls.

It's just what I thought it to be if he manages to shake off the rust and gain back his movement a bit - cavs have more playmaking than Bulls had ever in his career so he gets the ball in more situations. He also had an assist bump around the Februlauri, but the full season under Egg and health issues he had made him a shell of himself. He kinda lost touches, explosiveness and confidence.

Now he has had K. Love to mentor him more, and I bet having Thadd last season has helped him too even it didn't show up with the Bulls in assist numbers, bc the role was different. He has this pre-season at last started to nail more strong dunk attempts again than missing them, unlike last two seasons. He can be again the dunking 7ft 3pt shooter, and now he also has a bit better chance to explore his playmaking. For a Finnish NBA follower, gonna be fun to follow if he can keep it up and have his health. fingers crossed)
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,952

Post#209 » by meekrab » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:23 am

We got a trademark Lauri missed dunk tonight, that was fun to watch from the other side of the court. :lol:
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,683

Post#210 » by Dez » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:01 am

PaKii94 wrote:After the shell shocking in the first game, Lauri is back in form.
P36

Per36 numbers are useless given he won't play close to 36 minutes a game.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#211 » by FranchisePlayer » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:51 pm

meekrab wrote:We got a trademark Lauri missed dunk tonight, that was fun to watch from the other side of the court. :lol:

It was much more fun to watch him school that overpriced Derozan for his half-ass defense. :lol: At 1:55

;ab_channel=Z.Highlights
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#212 » by GoBlue72391 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:02 pm

Dez wrote:
P36

Per36 numbers are useless given he won't play close to 36 minutes a game.

That's not the purpose of per 36 numbers.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#213 » by GoBlue72391 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:07 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:
meekrab wrote:We got a trademark Lauri missed dunk tonight, that was fun to watch from the other side of the court. :lol:

It was much more fun to watch him school that overpriced Derozan for his half-ass defense. :lol: At 1:55

;ab_channel=Z.Highlights

Man, you're toxic. DeRozan scored on Lauri too, so... Why are you even back here? You're not a Bulls fan, so I can only imagine it's because the Cavs board gets as many posts in a month as this board does in an hour. I'm a big Lauri fan and it's good to see him play well and I hope he has a great career, but this petty as hell.
FranchisePlayer
Sixth Man
And1: 598

Post#214 » by FranchisePlayer » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:16 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

;ab_channel=Z.Highlights

Man, you're toxic. DeRozan scored on Lauri too, so... Why are you even back here? You're not a Bulls fan, so I can only imagine it's because the Cavs board gets as many posts in a month as this board does in an hour. I'm a big Lauri fan and it's good to see him play well and I hope he has a great career, but this petty as hell.

Please refrain yourself from personal insults.

Great that Derozan scored on him. Show me a clip of that, cheers.

I never left although I don't think I'm in any way accountable to you.

Nothing petty about this except your hostile remarks.

As the title says, Lauri appreciation thread. This is filled with replies unrelated to the subject. So I post something related to the topic and it's petty? Come on, get off your high horse and lay off that back seat moderating you're on about.
MrSparkle wrote:I don't see a scenario here or there where Lauri becomes the "7-pick we thought he could be." If you remove his 3P ability, he's worse than Felicio by a mile.

12/2/2022
I like the quote- it makes me chuckle. And it was/is pretty much true.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#215 » by GoBlue72391 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:20 pm

FranchisePlayer wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:

;ab_channel=Z.Highlights

As the title says, Lauri appreciation thread. This is filled with replies unrelated to the subject. So I post something related to the topic and it's petty? Come on, get off your high horse and lay off that back seat moderating you're on about.

If the mods have a problem with the content of my posts they can handle it, not a Lauri stan who has come back to troll his old team's board.

4:32, bud

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,660

Post#216 » by sco » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:29 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
FranchisePlayer wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:Man, you're toxic. DeRozan scored on Lauri too, so... Why are you even back here? You're not a Bulls fan, so I can only imagine it's because the Cavs board gets as many posts in a month as this board does in an hour. I'm a big Lauri fan and it's good to see him play well and I hope he has a great career, but this petty as hell.

If the mods have a problem with the content of my posts they can handle it, not a Lauri stan who has come back to troll his old team's board.

4:32, bud

I miss Lauri, actually not Lauri, but the passion that he ignited on both sides of the keep/trade argument. And the funniest part of that is that Lauri's personality and demeanor may be among the most non-controversial in the NBA.
:clap:
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,316

Post#217 » by coldfish » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:23 pm

Keep it about Lauri, positive or negative, and not other posters. If anyone has a problem with other people's posts, flag them and mods will address it either publicly or privately.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,759

Post#218 » by dougthonus » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:11 pm

Lauri played well in that 2nd game against the Bulls, and glancing at his box score, he seems to have generally played well the other 2 game after the Bulls too. Without knowing what impact he's having outside the box score (traditionally not his strength), I'd have to say the Cavs have to feel pretty good about the signing.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,660

Post#219 » by sco » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:15 pm

dougthonus wrote:Lauri played well in that 2nd game against the Bulls, and glancing at his box score, he seems to have generally played well the other 2 game after the Bulls too. Without knowing what impact he's having outside the box score (traditionally not his strength), I'd have to say the Cavs have to feel pretty good about the signing.

He has played well. Given that Mobley looks like a stud, one of the Fro/Lauri signings wasn't good from an opportunity cost POV given that they are lacking in the wing department.
:clap:
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,759

Post#220 » by dougthonus » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:19 pm

sco wrote:
dougthonus wrote:Lauri played well in that 2nd game against the Bulls, and glancing at his box score, he seems to have generally played well the other 2 game after the Bulls too. Without knowing what impact he's having outside the box score (traditionally not his strength), I'd have to say the Cavs have to feel pretty good about the signing.

He has played well. Given that Mobley looks like a stud, one of the Fro/Lauri signings wasn't good from an opportunity cost POV given that they are lacking in the wing department.

Well the Allen signing looked like a disaster from the start, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's the one they'd take back if they wanted to take one of these back.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls