Image ImageImage Image

Lauri appreciation thread - Bye GarPax era

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,695

Re: Lauri appreciation thread - Bye GarPax era 

Post#41 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:28 pm

Lauri should be the Cavs' 2nd option and he'll be playing with a great playmaker in Rubio and next to a pair of rim-protecting defensive bigs in Allen and Mobley, so it seems like a great situation for him in terms of individual achievement. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him pull a Jerami Grant/Christian Wood and be in the running for MIP. He's always been an extremely intriguing talent to me so hopefully it works out for him and he can finally put it all together.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#42 » by MGB8 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:14 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:Lauri should be the Cavs' 2nd option and he'll be playing with a great playmaker in Rubio and next to a pair of rim-protecting defensive bigs in Allen and Mobley, so it seems like a great situation for him in terms of individual achievement. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him pull a Jerami Grant/Christian Wood and be in the running for MIP. He's always been an extremely intriguing talent to me so hopefully it works out for him and he can finally put it all together.

Unlikely. Sexton / Garland want theirs, so will Allen, Mobley, even Okoro. Rubio may get him a little bit, but only in spots. Absent a pump-to-dump, Lauri is moving to a very similar situation.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#43 » by madvillian » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:21 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:Lauri should be the Cavs' 2nd option and he'll be playing with a great playmaker in Rubio and next to a pair of rim-protecting defensive bigs in Allen and Mobley, so it seems like a great situation for him in terms of individual achievement. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him pull a Jerami Grant/Christian Wood and be in the running for MIP. He's always been an extremely intriguing talent to me so hopefully it works out for him and he can finally put it all together.

He's going to have a very similar role to what he had in Chicago before he was benched. Unless he dramatically improved his playmaking and driving he's just going to be the guy open when Sexton or Garland collapses the defense.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#44 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:32 pm

madvillian wrote:

He's going to have a very similar role to what he had in Chicago before he was benched. Unless he dramatically improved his playmaking and driving he's just going to be the guy open when Sexton or Garland collapses the defense.

If Lauri has the same role in Cleveland that he had last season in Chicago pre-Vuch trade then I think that's about as ideal of a scenario as he could possibly hope for. The difference being 2nd option with Rubio/Garland > Sato/Coby and Allen/Mobley > WCJ/Gafford, which is a pretty big **** difference.

Lauri never played with a true PG/playmaker and now he has 2, and the last time he played next to a good match in the frontcourt was Robin Lopez and that's when he looked like a future star. That seems like a perfect fit for him.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#45 » by GoBlue72391 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:35 pm

MGB8 wrote:

Unlikely. Sexton / Garland want theirs, so will Allen, Mobley, even Okoro. Rubio may get him a little bit, but only in spots. Absent a pump-to-dump, Lauri is moving to a very similar situation.

Garland is a playmaker more than a scorer, Allen is a garbage man/lob guy, Okoro was rough last season and projects as a 3&D guy. The only guy who I see them running their offense for more than Lauri is Sexton and maybe Mobley later in the season.
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#46 » by waffle » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:37 pm

Thought the pick was good.

LOVED him when he had that hot month. Sure seemed like we had something there!

What happened? I think part of it was the league figured him out.

And his D.....ah his D....was there ever a rotation he missed or was late on? Doesn't seem like it.
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 577

Post#47 » by Howling Mad » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:38 pm

My favorite description of Lauri - "A taller Klay Thompson"
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#48 » by waffle » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:38 pm

oh, and being backed down by guards....normal sized people. Shameful
madvillian
RealGM

Post#49 » by madvillian » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:42 pm

Howling Mad wrote:My favorite description of Lauri - "A taller Klay Thompson"

that's a bad comp. Klay is 42% from deep for his career on 7 per game and Lauri is 36.6% on 6.1 per game. Klay has over 30 more WS in his career than Lauri and his WS/48 is about 20% higher than Lauri's for his career.

He's a taller homeless man's version of Klay I guess.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 577

Post#50 » by Howling Mad » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:48 pm

madvillian wrote:

that's a bad comp. Klay is 42% from deep for his career on 7 per game and Lauri is 36.6% on 6.1 per game. Klay has over 30 more WS in his career than Lauri and his WS/48 is about 20% higher than Lauri's for his career.

It was a common comparison for Lauri fans during his best stretch moments of the season. It's my favorite because I laugh, not because I agree.
thedarkstark
Analyst
And1: 1,224

Post#51 » by thedarkstark » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:54 pm

Good riddance.

Throwing a parade in my head for AKME for getting rid of this dead weight and actually getting a 1st rounder and a serviceable player in the deal.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#52 » by Dez » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:15 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
madvillian wrote:

If Lauri has the same role in Cleveland that he had last season in Chicago pre-Vuch trade then I think that's about as ideal of a scenario as he could possibly hope for. The difference being 2nd option with Rubio/Garland > Sato/Coby and Allen/Mobley > WCJ/Gafford, which is a pretty big **** difference.

Lauri never played with a true PG/playmaker and now he has 2, and the last time he played next to a good match in the frontcourt was Robin Lopez and that's when he looked like a future star. That seems like a perfect fit for him.

Explain to me how this is a good situation for him?

Allen is useless offensively, less so than WCJ was and people complained that he clogged the paint for Lauri.

Okoro can't shoot.

Rubio can't shoot.

Where's the space for him? There's literally nobody outside of Garland to pay attention to offensively.
madvillian
RealGM

Post#53 » by madvillian » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:48 pm

Dez wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
madvillian wrote:

Allen is useless offensively, less so than WCJ was and people complained that he clogged the paint for Lauri.

Okoro can't shoot.

Rubio can't shoot.

Where's the space for him? There's literally nobody outside of Garland to pay attention to offensively.

Colin Sexton is good now. He's a bucket getter and will provide Lauri some open looks.

GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#54 » by GoBlue72391 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:04 am

Dez wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
madvillian wrote:

Okoro can't shoot.

Rubio can't shoot.

Did you forget that Collin Sexton exists?

What are the two biggest things the Bulls lacked that would have helped Lauri? Playmaking and a defensive big to cover for him. He now has 2 of each in Cleveland (Rubio/Garland and Allen/Mobley). If you can't see how that's great news for him, then I don't know what to tell you.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#55 » by Dez » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:10 am

GoBlue72391 wrote:
Dez wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:If Lauri has the same role in Cleveland that he had last season in Chicago pre-Vuch trade then I think that's about as ideal of a scenario as he could possibly hope for. The difference being 2nd option with Rubio/Garland > Sato/Coby and Allen/Mobley > WCJ/Gafford, which is a pretty big **** difference.

Okoro can't shoot.

Rubio can't shoot.

What are the two biggest things the Bulls lacked that would have helped Lauri? Playmaking and a defensive big to cover for him. He now has 2 of each in Cleveland (Rubio/Garland and Allen/Mobley). If you can't see how that's great news for him, then I don't know what to tell you.

I didn't forget Sexton exists at all, he's a scorer.

Mobley is a rookie who will more than likely replace Markkanen at some stage during the season.

Allen worse offensively than WCJ and people blamed WCJ for Lauri not having space, while Allen superior defensively to WCJ it's the same situation.
GoBlue72391
General Manager

Post#56 » by GoBlue72391 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:21 am

Dez wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
Dez wrote:

Okoro can't shoot.

Rubio can't shoot.

I didn't forget Sexton exists at all, he's a scorer.

Mobley is a rookie who will more than likely replace Markkanen at some stage during the season.

Allen worse offensively than WCJ and people blamed WCJ for Lauri not having space, while Allen superior defensively to WCJ it's the same situation.

Yeah no, that's not the same situation at all. Lauri lacked playmaking and defensive bigs to cover for him in Chicago. He has those things in Cleveland. Lauri played great next to Rolo, another space clogging old school big. Lauri is the floor spacer the Cavs needed. And WCJ is not better than Allen at anything. I don't even understand what you're arguing at this point.
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#57 » by Ben Wilson25 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:28 am

We'll always have FebruLauri and him teabagging Porzingis in the Garden.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#58 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:59 am

I’m kinda sad to see Lauri go. I really thought he would a Dirk type after his rookie season and that he and Zach would our cornerstones for a decade.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,251

Post#59 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:00 am

Howling Mad wrote:
madvillian wrote:

It was a common comparison for Lauri fans during his best stretch moments of the season. It's my favorite because I laugh, not because I agree.

It perfectly illustrates how little Lauri fans care about anything other than shooting.

Klay has been an very good to elite defender, including 2nd team all nba defense. Lauri obviously is horrid at that 50% of basketball.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#60 » by MGB8 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:02 am

GoBlue72391 wrote:
MGB8 wrote:

Garland is a playmaker more than a scorer, Allen is a garbage man/lob guy, Okoro was rough last season and projects as a 3&D guy. The only guy who I see them running their offense for more than Lauri is Sexton and maybe Mobley later in the season.

Garland took 15 shots per game last year, up from 12 as a rookie. It’s going to go up again. Lauri won’t ever be a second option, barring injury.

But you are welcome to go follow Lauri with the Cavs.

Return to Chicago Bulls