Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Sign SG Matt Thomas - Camp Deal

Moderators: HomoSapien, RedBulls23, Michael Jackson, GimmeDat, Payt10, dougthonus, kulaz3000, Tommy Udo 6 , coldfish, Ice Man, DASMACKDOWN, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper

coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 25,279

Re: Bulls Sign SG Matt Thomas - Camp Deal 

Post#21 » by coldfish » Tue Sep 7, 2021 10:42 am

_KYUSS_ wrote:
coldfish wrote:They can play him at PF to replace the Markkanen role.

Career per 36:
Thomas 16.0p 4.9r 1.9a 41.3%3p
Markkanen 19.0p 8.6r 1.5a 36.6%3p

matt thomas is a 6 foot 4 pure shooting guard lol.

Rebounding isn't really that important for the position. Neither is defense or passing. What really matters is the ability to space the floor at the PF position and as a 41.3% career 3p shooter, this guy is it.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer
And1: 946

Post#22 » by dkb9696 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 11:06 am

Duffman100 wrote:Incredible shooter. But gives up more on defense than he provides in offense.

Still wished the Raptors gave him more minutes.

They tried too at the start of last season. Thomas was played off the floor due to his limitations of the defensive end.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 9,490

Post#23 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Sep 7, 2021 11:21 am

Matt Thomas can fill the Coby role better than Coby.
sco
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#24 » by sco » Tue Sep 7, 2021 6:18 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Matt Thomas can fill the Coby role better than Coby.

I guess we're not sure if he's gonna get that 2-way contract. Super smart, IMO. I do like him at backup SG ahead of Ayo, assuming Coby is out another month or so..which is a good use of a 2-way guy. That said, maybe Ayo somehow learns to shoot 3's and beats him out for those minutes, which would be even better! (but unexpected).
:clap:
jsleesl28
Freshman
And1: 49

Post#25 » by jsleesl28 » Tue Sep 7, 2021 11:13 pm

Dan Z wrote:I'm surprised they didn't sign a PF. Hopefully Simonovic plays well this year.

Is there such thing as Power forward anymore?

I think the league is changing so rapidly that there really isnt a need for traditional point guard/shooting guard/small forward/power forward/center line up.

When I think of a power forward, first thing that comes to my mind is Tim Duncan. There really isnt low post/high post operating big man anymore. Its run and gun 3 ball transition basketball.

For me I liked it more when the games were in the 90s (points) not this 120 ppg scoring showdown.
sco
RealGM

Post#26 » by sco » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:11 pm

https://pippenainteasy.com/2021/09/10/chicago-bulls-matt-thomas-is-an-underrated-tough-shot-maker/

And the Bulls could be getting a player here that has one specific noted skill set within his offensive arsenal that could make him a really good piece to add to the bench. Thomas is an underrated tough-shot maker, especially from deep. He was also incredibly efficient in shooting from the corners on three-pointers with the Raptors.

Thomas shot an insane 58.6 percent on corner three-point attempts during his season and a half with the Raptors. That included a whopping 75 percent of his corner three-pointers made during his time solely with the Raptors last season.

According to NBA advanced stats, Thomas shot better than 55 percent from beyond the arc when there was someone contesting the shot in “tight defense”. And throughout the last two seasons between his time with the Raptors and Jazz, Thomas still shot better than 45 percent on three-point attempts with tight defense contesting the shot.

It is also worth noting that Thomas shot 57.1 percent from inside the arc on contested field goal attempts with tight defense.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#27 » by coldfish » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:40 pm

IMO Coby is in legit trouble. The team is making roster moves like he isn't on the roster. If Coby doesn't significantly improve, I could see him as a DNP-CD type until he is traded.

I'm not sure what the market is for low percentage chuckers who turn the ball over too much and can't play defense though.
sco
RealGM

Post#28 » by sco » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:48 pm

coldfish wrote:

IMO Coby is in legit trouble. The team is making roster moves like he isn't on the roster. If Coby doesn't significantly improve, I could see him as a DNP-CD type until he is traded.

I'm not sure what the market is for low percentage chuckers who turn the ball over too much and can't play defense though.

I think signing a guy like Thomas to either the 2-way or replace Stan makes a ton of sense.

There is a ton of risk of Coby not being ready to play for a month into the season. The Bulls need a SG who can actually shoot as a backup while Coby is getting up to speed again. I also like having more than Ayo as the hurdle Coby would need to get over to find his way into the rotation (although I'm rooting for Ayo to get plenty of g-league burn to develop a 3pt shot and maybe be our backup SG next season). If he does, and can do more than make catch-and-shoot 3's, then I'd be fine keeping him through the season. If he can't, I'd be happy to trade him at the deadline, but I'm doubting we could even get a 1st back for him at that point.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#29 » by coldfish » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:09 pm

sco wrote:
coldfish wrote:

I think signing a guy like Thomas to either the 2-way or replace Stan makes a ton of sense.

There is a ton of risk of Coby not being ready to play for a month into the season. The Bulls need a SG who can actually shoot as a backup while Coby is getting up to speed again. I also like having more than Ayo as the hurdle Coby would need to get over to find his way into the rotation (although I'm rooting for Ayo to get plenty of g-league burn to develop a 3pt shot and maybe be our backup SG next season). If he does, and can do more than make catch-and-shoot 3's, then I'd be fine keeping him through the season. If he can't, I'd be happy to trade him at the deadline, but I'm doubting we could even get a 1st back for him at that point.

You seem to be forgetting about Caruso. Coby is at best 4th guard in the rotation and that's if he outplays Thomas, Ayo and Green.

Obviously it would be great if Coby radically improves to the point where he forces himself into the rotation but if he doesn't, I think guys like Thomas will replace him. As has been said, Thomas is a great shooter who doesn't do much else. Coby is a mediocre shooter who is a liability when he tries to pass and almost as bad as Thomas on D. The only thing Coby brings is some rebounding.
sco
RealGM

Post#30 » by sco » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:14 pm

coldfish wrote:
sco wrote:
coldfish wrote:

You seem to be forgetting about Caruso. Coby is at best 4th guard in the rotation and that's if he outplays Thomas, Ayo and Green.

Obviously it would be great if Coby radically improves to the point where he forces himself into the rotation but if he doesn't, I think guys like Thomas will replace him. As has been said, Thomas is a great shooter who doesn't do much else. Coby is a mediocre shooter who is a liability when he tries to pass and almost as bad as Thomas on D. The only thing Coby brings is some rebounding.

For sure, you're right. I see a 3 man rotation with Caruso, Ball and Zach, getting the lion's share of the minutes. My hope is that Caruso locks into more of a PG role, but he can do either. I still want a 4th guard to give some offensive and situational depth.

Return to Chicago Bulls