Image ImageImage Image

Bears talk 2.0; Fields era begins for real for real

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,231

Re: Bears talk 2.0; Fields era begins for real for real 

Post#21 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:50 am

Fields did some things well, looked poor at times. The false start stuff was silly and will be easily corrected. You can see at times what happens when you hold the ball too long in this offense.

On the other hand, had 2 beautiful throws that make his day look very different if they weren’t dropped.

Nothing to worry over, he still looks like a guy that belongs out there.

Part of being a respectable fan though is being able to see when a player doesn’t play well. It’s not impressive if you’re a “see red Fred” dude.

FWIW, all the rookie QBs had a rough day. 1 passing TD among the 5 of them, I believe?

Most importantly, the defense played well after embarrassing themselves last week. Took some pride. And the Bears beat another middle of the road team. These wins differentiate between 6-11 and 10-7 at the end of the year.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,381

Post#22 » by fleet » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:54 am

Susan wrote: We know what awful QB play looks like. What Fields was doing out there today was far from awful

I mean, I'm biased, so I cannot say it is objectively true. But awful no way. A rookie. Lack of execution, maybe some issues making quicker reads for easier passes? Taking better care of the ball on sacks? I don't know if that is awful or anything like that. If he begins to lose confidence he might, but for the most part, he looks really good (potent, close) right now, like he needs tweaks, not an overhaul. Mac Jones looks like a veteran that executes, but that is atypicsal, recent history notwithstanding. Normal rookie QB that gets thrown into the fire in game 2 after running the scout team for 2 weeks. His confidence is going to carry him through this. Which wasn't turrible. His stats were turrible, sure. Not the full picture.

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
Nothing to worry over, he still looks like a guy that belongs out there.

Part of being a respectable fan though is being able to see when a player doesn’t play well. It’s not impressive if you’re a “see red Fred” dude.

We can all say he had terrible stats. But his main mistakes were an interception (wich wasn't like a Zach Wilson interception), and almost losing the ball on a sack. The rest was just normal first game rookie stuff which was under the toughest conditions that the coaching staff failed to prepare him and the team for.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#23 » by dice » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:55 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:FWIW, all the rookie QBs had a rough day. 1 passing TD among the 5 of them, I believe?

i'm beginning to think that preseason performance wasn't a very good indicator...
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#24 » by dice » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:59 am

there's a popup mcdonalds ad on the espn site right now. it features matt nagy and makes it appear that he works there
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#25 » by fleet » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:02 am

dice wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:FWIW, all the rookie QBs had a rough day. 1 passing TD among the 5 of them, I believe?

i'm beginning to think that preseason performance wasn't a very good indicator...

It was for Jones. Isd it too early? He is gonna be good.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 740

Post#26 » by Hold That » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:11 am

fleet wrote:
dice wrote:

Jones didn’t throw a TD.. Trevor Lawrence threw it on his first drive and didn’t do much else afterwards.

Mac Jones is on check down duty with Bill and the Pats..
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#27 » by fleet » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:15 am

Hold That wrote:
fleet wrote:
dice wrote:i'm beginning to think that preseason performance wasn't a very good indicator...

Jones didn’t throw a TD.. Trevor Lawrence threw it on his first drive and didn’t do much else afterwards.

Mac Jones is on check down duty with Bill and the Pats..

No INT either, and following his first game, Ill take it. Dude controls the team, which is pretty impressive. I know 6 yards per completion is a point of criticism for me with Dalton, but for a rookie in command of a team, to be responsible with the ball is ok by me. Shows a maturity. He’s capable of more
The Evidence
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,620

Post#28 » by The Evidence » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:40 am

Breaking News:

Rookie QB with no 1st Team reps comes in and struggles with 1st Team.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#29 » by TheJordanRule » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:54 am

We need a better O-line. Fields has a slight build for an NFL player. He's fragile. If he's put in harm's way too often, the injuries will be brutal.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#30 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:00 am

Fields did have a bit if a rough time here in his first extended play time. But my eyes still saw the talent, I can see there’s something there with this kid. And I think listening to him talk after the game kind of confirms that. I just feel confident in the kid that a big play can happen at any given moment.

Dalton played well today without a doubt. Maybe some extra motivation who knows. Today Dalton would have kept his starting job for at least another week had he continued playing as well as he did and did not get hurt.

Hate to say it though as unfortunate as it is for a player to get hurt, if Andy can’t play and Justin grabs the starting job and never looks back to me is the perfect transition to the Justin Fields era. Everyone wins.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#31 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:06 am

TheJordanRule wrote:We need a better O-line. Fields has a slight build for an NFL player. He's fragile. If he's put in harm's way too often, the injuries will be brutal.

Oh we just need a better oline. Just an entire oline? No problem let me order one up on Amazon.

Of course you want to protect him but come on. We also have needed a qb, just a starting qb, for like waht, how many years now. Last thing im worried about is his build, go watch some other qb’s that are constantly put in harms way. His build is hardly a negative.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#32 » by Susan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:16 am

Read on Twitter

What a fantastic tribute.

They would be smart to have that be part of their weekly intro. Omar was one of the best characters in television history and the Ravens are a tough freaking franchise - that whistling is so ominous.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#33 » by fleet » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:17 am

Hoge saying that Justin’s INT was the hot route on the play, the right pre snap read, but Fields was tricked because the linebacker dropped back into coverage. Basic learning experience. Not a horrendous thing at all.
Susan
RealGM

Post#34 » by Susan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:25 am

Read on Twitter

This was the play that I called special.

Especially considering he just threw that pick which led to a quick TD, giving Cincy all of the momentum. Breaking the tackle, having the speed to get the first, staying in bounds.

Speed, strength and smarts in a huge moment. Cincy was getting the ball back and most likely scoring if he didn't pick that up.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,729

Post#35 » by dougthonus » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:38 am

Susan wrote:Doug, we're Chicago Bears fans. We know what awful QB play looks like. What Fields was doing out there today was far from awful ESPECIALLY when you see other rookie QBs out there doing this:

If Fields averaged this game for the season, it would be by far the worst season in the history of the NFL. So yeah, it was an awful game.

Outside of the INT, where's the awful? Lots of good throws, a few drops, a few excellent scrambles/broken tackles.

Failed to get in the end zone despite multiple short fields
Threw an interception at a point that could have swung the game
Consistently failed to move the chains
Only 60 yards of total passing offense
Took 25 yards of loss in sacks
Overall combined for 66 yards on 25 plays between his rushes / passes / sacks
Didn't visibly appear to go through progressions well and tended to stare down his receivers

Again, I'm not trying to bust on Fields long term. I think he's going to be a gem. This game was a turd though, and he'll probably have plenty of other growing pains too. That's okay. I'm not hating on the guy for it, but he looked far worse than Dalton right now on the field, and Dalton's one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL. It might take him some time and that's just fine. I'm okay letting him take his lumps and grow even if it means losses. I'm just not going to pretend I saw something great when I clearly didn't.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 740

Post#36 » by Hold That » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:07 am

Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

What a fantastic tribute.

They would be smart to have that be part of their weekly intro. Omar was one of the best characters in television history and the Ravens are a tough freaking franchise - that whistling is so ominous.

The Wire was the greatest TV series I’ve ever watched.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#37 » by bad knees » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:09 am

dougthonus wrote:
Susan wrote:Doug, we're Chicago Bears fans. We know what awful QB play looks like. What Fields was doing out there today was far from awful ESPECIALLY when you see other rookie QBs out there doing this:

If Fields averaged this game for the season, it would be by far the worst season in the history of the NFL. So yeah, it was an awful game.

Outside of the INT, where's the awful? Lots of good throws, a few drops, a few excellent scrambles/broken tackles.

Didn't visibly appear to go through progressions well and tended to stare down his receivers

Again, I'm not trying to bust on Fields long term. I think he's going to be a gem. This game was a turd though, and he'll probably have plenty of other growing pains too. That's okay. I'm not hating on the guy for it, but he looked far worse than Dalton right now on the field, and Dalton's one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL. It might take him some time and that's just fine. I'm okay letting him take his lumps and grow even if it means losses. I'm just not going to pretend I saw something great when I clearly didn't.

I'm with Doug on this one. I love JF and think he ought to keep starting, but today he was overall bad. Dalton was better when he was in. Fields got bailed out by the defense. That does not mean that all of our excitement about JF is misplaced. It's just going to be a process. I have every confidence in him, and I look forward to watching him play after spending my Sunday afternoons doing something else these past few years.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#38 » by bad knees » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:25 am

I've ragged on Nagy for his judgment and his BS public statements, but I have got to say I am impressed with this video. You can see why he has support in the locker room. There's a genuineness here that we as fans don't usually get to see.

Read on Twitter
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,788

Post#39 » by Jcool0 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:32 am

TheJordanRule wrote:We need a better O-line. Fields has a slight build for an NFL player. He's fragile. If he's put in harm's way too often, the injuries will be brutal.

So you have never seen Justin Fields?
Susan
RealGM

Post#40 » by Susan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:38 am

bad knees wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

I'm with Doug on this one. I love JF and think he ought to keep starting, but today he was overall bad. Dalton was better when he was in. Fields got bailed out by the defense. That does not mean that all of our excitement about JF is misplaced. It's just going to be a process. I have every confidence in him, and I look forward to watching him play after spending my Sunday afternoons doing something else these past few years.

Start naming some plays that he was *awful* on. He had that one pick.

-He made good decisions, the game was a little quick for him but he kept his composure the entire game. Burrow is a stud and he lost his chill and threw 3 picks. Young QBs lose their cool pretty easy, the fact that he didn't is a good sign.
-Robinson and Mooney dropped his best balls
-The Bears were ahead which kind of makes the offense predictable
-The gameplan was for Dalton - plays that make Dalton play his best - I dunno if you know but those two players have drastically different strengths

Return to Chicago Bulls