Image ImageImage Image

Bears talk 2.0; Fields era begins for real for real

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Re: Bears talk 2.0; Fields era begins for real for real 

Post#61 » by Dresden » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:16 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:
Dresden wrote:
Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

This was the play that I called special.

Especially considering he just threw that pick which led to a quick TD, giving Cincy all of the momentum. Breaking the tackle, having the speed to get the first, staying in bounds.

Speed, strength and smarts in a huge moment. Cincy was getting the ball back and most likely scoring if he didn't pick that up.

He got tackled, that's why he went down at the end. I didn't see anything intentional about him going down to stay inbounds on that replay.

He went down on his own but I wouldn't call that "special". If he ran out of bounds it would have been moronic. Staying inbounds is what any decent, aware QB would do.

To me, it looked like he got tripped and that's why he went down.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,332

Post#62 » by fleet » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:16 pm

Dresden wrote:One point that is being missed is that Nagy is trying to win games, not just develop Justin Fields. Fans may be anxious to see Fields play, but if the coaches think they have a better shot at winning on Sunday with Dalton at the helm, that is what they will do. It's not fair to the rest of the team to play a qb that hurts their odds of winning. I know many will disagree with that statement, but I think players are more interested in winning games than they are in developing a new qb as well.

I am more down with the theory Dalton started because he was promised. And the coach lived up to it. There was never a competition. None. Fields never was given a chance. Practice or games
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,061

Post#63 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:17 pm

Dresden wrote:One point that is being missed is that Nagy is trying to win games, not just develop Justin Fields. Fans may be anxious to see Fields play, but if the coaches think they have a better shot at winning on Sunday with Dalton at the helm, that is what they will do. It's not fair to the rest of the team to play a qb that hurts their odds of winning. I know many will disagree with that statement, but I think players are more interested in winning games than they are in developing a new qb as well.

Understandable. A lot of people think that Fields gives you the best chance to win though. They aren't taking one and a half good drives from a Bengals game and thinking Dalton is the team's savior. We've seen Dalton play and we know what he can bring. I was impressed with his play yesterday. But I know this team isn't going anywhere with him as our starting QB except for being a mediocre team. The hope is that Fields can propel the Bears into more as some of the recent young QB's have done with their teams and if its not this season at least he has taken his lumps and he has learned and is ready to roll going into next. I understand starting Dalton and being patient. But I also understand the other side of the coin on this. Plus you're right, I really believe the players want Fields in there.

I'm all for whoever takes the snap to play well, I might be leaning towards "Boy Wonder" a bit more though because I see Dalton as a temp and Fields as the long term face of the team.
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach
And1: 664

Post#64 » by Bluewaterheaven » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:56 pm

I will be interested in seeing Fields play after reps with the First Team... I think it will be a different experience.
Unknown wrote:Dwarves laugh when they run because the grass tickles their balls.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#65 » by fleet » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 pm

Bluewaterheaven wrote:I will be interested in seeing Fields play after reps with the First Team... I think it will be a different experience.

I have low expectations to tell you the truth. Lawrence and Wilson had their entire offense built around them from the ground up, an entire training camp at the helm where the offense is constructed. Jones got lots of work with the 1s even before Cam was dumped. Lance didn’t get as much with Jimmy G around, and it probably shows. Fields got zero. A donut. Nada. Remarkable how shut out of the plans and first group Fields was while they steadfastly built this Dalton dink and dunk. How unprepared the coaching staff has gotten him, and the team/plays for him. Now Fields has only one week away from running the scout team, and all that neglect is not going to matter? This is doubtful.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#66 » by Dresden » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:56 pm

fleet wrote:
Bluewaterheaven wrote:I will be interested in seeing Fields play after reps with the First Team... I think it will be a different experience.

I have low expectations to tell you the truth. Lawrence and Wilson had their entire offense built around them from the ground up, an entire training camp at the helm where the offense is constructed. Jones got lots of work with the 1s even before Cam was dumped. Lance didn’t get as much with Jimmy G around, and it probably shows. Fields got zero. A donut. Nada. Remarkable how shut out of the plans and first group Fields was while they steadfastly built this Dalton dink and dunk. How unprepared the coaching staff has gotten him, and the team/plays for him. Now Fields has only one week away from running the scout team, and all that neglect is not going to matter? This is doubtful.

That's a perfect way to build in excuses for Fields if he doesn't do well-- it's all Nagy's fault now.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#67 » by Dresden » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:58 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:

Understandable. A lot of people think that Fields gives you the best chance to win though. They aren't taking one and a half good drives from a Bengals game and thinking Dalton is the team's savior. We've seen Dalton play and we know what he can bring. I was impressed with his play yesterday. But I know this team isn't going anywhere with him as our starting QB except for being a mediocre team. The hope is that Fields can propel the Bears into more as some of the recent young QB's have done with their teams and if its not this season at least he has taken his lumps and he has learned and is ready to roll going into next. I understand starting Dalton and being patient. But I also understand the other side of the coin on this. Plus you're right, I really believe the players want Fields in there.

I'm all for whoever takes the snap to play well, I might be leaning towards "Boy Wonder" a bit more though because I see Dalton as a temp and Fields as the long term face of the team.

This isn't an opinion poll though- Nagy is the one in charge, and it's his decision to make. I think it's just creating a distraction by all the fans putting so much pressure on Nagy and the org. to play Fields.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Dresden wrote:

This isn't an opinion poll though- Nagy is the one in charge, and it's his decision to make. I think it's just creating a distraction by all the fans putting so much pressure on Nagy and the org. to play Fields.

Yeah but you can't stop that. You gotta give the fans what they want :D

I think Nagy wants to play Fields too. Just doesn't want to be the guy who broke Trubisky AND Fields. Thats what I think he's thinking and he wants to take a more patient approach. Not the same kind of players though.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#69 » by fleet » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:10 pm

Dresden wrote:
fleet wrote:

That's a perfect way to build in excuses for Fields if he doesn't do well-- it's all Nagy's fault now.

There are people in town like Olin Kruetz that openly wonder if anyone on that particular staff knows how to build an offense around Fields in the first place. Certainly Nagy had no idea what he was supposed to do with Trubisky.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#70 » by bad knees » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:11 pm

Dresden wrote:

I think Nagy wants to play Fields too. Just doesn't want to be the guy who broke Trubisky AND Fields. Thats what I think he's thinking and he wants to take a more patient approach. Not the same kind of players though.

I think Nagy is a guy who has reached beyond his grasp in terms of his actual abilities. The one thing he has is the Kansas City way, and in particular how they groomed Mahomes. To me, it was certain as soon as they draft Fields that Nagy would implement the Alex Smith/Mahomes approach, because following the KC model is how he got hired, and it's how he thinks, and he is extremely reluctant to go a different route because, then, what does he do and who is he? He's then just a guy with a big job that he is not entirely cut out for.
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,586

Post#71 » by Jimako10 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 pm

This sort of feels like when Baltimore had Lamar Jackson play behind Joe Flacco for the first 9 games in 2018. Lamar was not good at all as a passer, but his run game was elite to the point where they ended up choking the life out of the other team through ball control (run game) and great defense. They ended up going 6-1 after the switch and made the playoffs.

I see a similar situation brewing here. The bears have a good defense and can run the ball (for now). I see a better path to winning with JF out there converting on 3rd downs with his legs and taking the lumps in the passing game along the way. JF is already a much better passer than Lamar's 1st year on top of it. I just hope Nagy doesn't take 9 games to figure it out.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:15 pm

bad knees wrote:
Dresden wrote:

I think Nagy is a guy who has reached beyond his grasp in terms of his actual abilities. The one thing he has is the Kansas City way, and in particular how they groomed Mahomes. To me, it was certain as soon as they draft Fields that Nagy would implement the Alex Smith/Mahomes approach, because following the KC model is how he got hired, and it's how he thinks, and he is extremely reluctant to go a different route because, then, what does he do and who is he? He's then just a guy with a big job that he is not entirely cut out for.

I would say he's already played in more games than Mahomes did. Maybe I'm I'm wrong.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#73 » by bad knees » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:29 pm

bad knees wrote:

I would say he's already played in more games than Mahomes did. Maybe I'm I'm wrong.

I am talking about the general approach of making Fields watch as opposed to starting him from day 1. As Fleet has noted, if you want Fields to succeed, then start working in May on developing an offense that maximizes his capabilities and minimizes the flaws where he still needs to develop. Get him comfortable with the first string guys. Do everything you can to help him adjust as quickly as possible to the speed and complexity of NFL defenses. The Bears have done none of this, because they are committed to the idea of Fields sitting and watching for some undefined period of time. It may be due to a promise having been made to Dalton, but I think it is more due to Nagy not having much more than the KC way to lean on in terms of the way he thinks about football.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#74 » by sco » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:34 pm

Fields holds the ball too long, and that is a recipe for failure (escapability aside).
:clap:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:42 pm

sco wrote:Fields holds the ball too long, and that is a recipe for failure (escapability aside).

I don't care if he holds it longer looking for a big play as long as he doesn't rush the throws and turns it over. What I don't want him to do too long is sit in the pocket. Needs to have that clock in his head tell him time to roll out or step up and run if its open.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,106

Post#76 » by patryk7754 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:44 pm

Nagy may be the worst coach in the NFL. He regularly kills the momentum of the offense, has trust issues with his players that lead to wasted timeouts, opportunities, etc, he's a terrible play-caller, and his game plan is awful. This has been widely accepted but we had to see it with someone other than mitch. Well, theres no debate now. hes ass. He wont be fired because this team will do what they always do, which is win just enough so Pace can justify him staying but the team needs to force him giving up play calling. the two people the bears need to focus on for HC is Joe Brady and Eric bieniemy.

Brady has had success with Bridgewater and it seems like he's rejuvenating Darnold. I have a feeling that he'll be the bengals coach tho.

bieniemy has shown to be a great play caller and designer. His roots as a RB coach will be great for Monty and there are several reports hes greatly respected by his players. Plus, the offense won't be completely new to the team.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#77 » by Susan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:58 pm

fleet wrote:
Dresden wrote:
fleet wrote:I have low expectations to tell you the truth. Lawrence and Wilson had their entire offense built around them from the ground up, an entire training camp at the helm where the offense is constructed. Jones got lots of work with the 1s even before Cam was dumped. Lance didn’t get as much with Jimmy G around, and it probably shows. Fields got zero. A donut. Nada. Remarkable how shut out of the plans and first group Fields was while they steadfastly built this Dalton dink and dunk. How unprepared the coaching staff has gotten him, and the team/plays for him. Now Fields has only one week away from running the scout team, and all that neglect is not going to matter? This is doubtful.

There are people in town like Olin Kruetz that openly wonder if anyone on that particular staff knows how to build an offense around Fields in the first place. Certainly Nagy had no idea what he was supposed to do with Trubisky.

1st year with Mitch was good, then his warts started to show and IMO they were right to move off of him.

Foles was doomed because of injuries at the Oline/COVID

I wouldn't say the Dalton led offense sucked, so that's a plus.

Tom Herman from Texas was brought in to help with the inside zone scheme.

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2017/03/the-herman-offense-inside-zone/

The Ravens run a zone running scheme with plenty of RPOs and blew out the Browns in week 1 and dropped 48 on em in their second game. The HC for the Texans came from the Ravens and they played them extremely close this week.

What I do know is this, we absolutely can't be dropping Fields back there to get eaten up by their d-line. Landry looks to be out and if Goldman comes back along with Mario Edwards, there's enough talent on our d-line to slow down the Browns running attack.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#78 » by Dresden » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:05 pm

fleet wrote:
Dresden wrote:
fleet wrote:I have low expectations to tell you the truth. Lawrence and Wilson had their entire offense built around them from the ground up, an entire training camp at the helm where the offense is constructed. Jones got lots of work with the 1s even before Cam was dumped. Lance didn’t get as much with Jimmy G around, and it probably shows. Fields got zero. A donut. Nada. Remarkable how shut out of the plans and first group Fields was while they steadfastly built this Dalton dink and dunk. How unprepared the coaching staff has gotten him, and the team/plays for him. Now Fields has only one week away from running the scout team, and all that neglect is not going to matter? This is doubtful.

I have doubts as to whether Nagy can build an offense, period. He's never done it outside of when he had Patrick Mahomes, has he?
Dresden
RealGM

Post#79 » by Dresden » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:12 pm

bad knees wrote:
bad knees wrote:

I am talking about the general approach of making Fields watch as opposed to starting him from day 1. As Fleet has noted, if you want Fields to succeed, then start working in May on developing an offense that maximizes his capabilities and minimizes the flaws where he still needs to develop. Get him comfortable with the first string guys. Do everything you can to help him adjust as quickly as possible to the speed and complexity of NFL defenses. The Bears have done none of this, because they are committed to the idea of Fields sitting and watching for some undefined period of time. It may be due to a promise having been made to Dalton, but I think it is more due to Nagy not having much more than the KC way to lean on in terms of the way he thinks about football.

I highly doubt that the Bears have been doing nothing to help Fields prepare to play in the nfl. I am positive they are giving him as much info as he can absorb, and working with him every chance they get. I can't imagine a higher priority for what they do in practice. At the same time, Dalton is new, too, and since they made him the starter, it's also urgent to get him up to speed with the starters and the offense as well. But it's not like they are just telling Fields to go sit in the corner because he'll have time later to pick things up.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#80 » by Susan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls