Image ImageImage Image

Options to fix the PF hole

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,908

Re: Options to fix the PF hole 

Post#1001 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:29 pm

Read on Twitter

I’ve said not to trade for him for this exact reason numerous times. He took less money to be the main guy in Det. He doesn’t want to be the 3rd or 4th option here.

Also, we can’t afford him long term.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,660

Post#1002 » by sco » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:35 pm

MGB8 wrote:The Grant rumor article reiterated that Grant wants to be a primary offensive option, not a role player…. I think that explains why Chicago isn’t listed as a destination for him.

Given the Bulls penchant for small ball, I wonder if they would have interest in THT. It would need to be Portland pick plus salary filler, maybe getting a second rounder back. Cam Reddish type comp.

Good points. Honestly, Grant is a debatable fit, although I don't know why he wouldn't be bumping Vuc down in the offensive option order. THT is a guy I've liked, but he reminds me too much of TBJ.

IMO, we need a guy who is a clear upgrade from the Green/Jones pairing. The biggest shortcoming of that due is size and the ability to defend the big PF's. After that, it's rebounding. Then it's 3pt shooting. My point is that a lot of the big names are popular because they are good scorers (and that's what cost $$$).
:clap:
Jimmy Forums
Veteran
And1: 961

Post#1003 » by Jimmy Forums » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:06 pm

Cubfan23 wrote:....

Didn't notice the first time through but this is a great first post ever
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,222

Post#1004 » by Red8911 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:16 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Not sure if this was posted anywhere:

Chicago still has one potential all-in move up its sleeve, as injured second-year forward Patrick Williams has a mountain of trade value despite being out for the season with a dislocated wrist. Williams was the Pistons' top 2020 NBA draft target at No. 7 before Chicago selected the Florida product at No. 4, and Weaver was known as a huge supporter.

The Bulls have three strong connections to Grant. General manager Marc Eversley overlapped with Grant in Philadelphia, head coach Billy Donovan coached Grant in Oklahoma City, and executive vice president of basketball operations Arturas Karnisovas was part of the Nuggets' brain trust that acquired Grant from the Thunder.

The on-paper fit appears quite clear here too. Grant could plug immediately into the Bulls' starting lineup between DeMar DeRozan and Nikola Vucevic. By the time DeRozan's three-year contract expires after the 2023-24 season, any Grant extension would just be entering its second year.

For Chicago to move Williams, Karnisovas would need absolute confidence Grant is the final ingredient for a championship run. The front office has already mortgaged the majority of its future draft capital, and sending out Williams, Derrick Jones Jr. and the Blazers' protected 2022 first-rounder would lock the Bulls into an inflexible future. At this juncture, Chicago appears uncomfortable with that.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2952559-he-fits-everywhere-inside-the-market-for-nba-trade-deadlines-grand-prize

C. Vuc/Bradley/Simonovic
PF.Grant/Green/McKinnie
SF. DeRozan/TBJ/Hill
SG. LaVine/White/Ayo
PG. Ball/Caruso/Thomas

To me, that looks to be as deep of a team as we can realistically get this season. Grant brings even more defense and versatility to our team, but also can fill in as a scoring option as needed. Losing Williams and DJJ is somewhat of a non-issue this season since both are going through their injury issues.
The writer is also forgetting that Grant has connections through his uncle Horace Grant who works for the Bulls as an advisor. He was the reason they brought in his brother Jerian Grant as well and gave him so many chances but he obviously wasn’t very good. Jerami Grant though makes a lot of sense for the Bulls and would immediately fill in needs.
Jimmy Forums
Veteran

Post#1005 » by Jimmy Forums » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:18 pm

The report about what Grant wants is obviously discouraging, but doesn't affect us fans at all. The Bulls would never do a deal like this without vetting where Grant's head is at in relation to his role. If he doesn't want to be a 3rd/4th option then that's too bad, would've been a nice fit.

I would at least attempt to pitch him as being, in the big picture, third in the pecking order after DDR and Lavine, but before Vucevic. There would also be long stretches where he's the 2nd option when only one of DDR or Lavine is on the floor, or even a first option if he leads a second unit. If we make a focused effort to prioritize him over Vuc in that hierarchy then I think there's still plenty of points to be had for Grant, and coincidentally I think we'll be well-served to be less reliant on Vuc as a scorer.

Not calling this dead quite yet, the fit is too good to not be considered.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#1006 » by MGB8 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:21 pm

sco wrote:
MGB8 wrote:The Grant rumor article reiterated that Grant wants to be a primary offensive option, not a role player…. I think that explains why Chicago isn’t listed as a destination for him.

Given the Bulls penchant for small ball, I wonder if they would have interest in THT. It would need to be Portland pick plus salary filler, maybe getting a second rounder back. Cam Reddish type comp.

Good points. Honestly, Grant is a debatable fit, although I don't know why he wouldn't be bumping Vuc down in the offensive option order. THT is a guy I've liked, but he reminds me too much of TBJ.

IMO, we need a guy who is a clear upgrade from the Green/Jones pairing. The biggest shortcoming of that due is size and the ability to defend the big PF's. After that, it's rebounding. Then it's 3pt shooting. My point is that a lot of the big names are popular because they are good scorers (and that's what cost $$$).

Good point re similarity between THT and TBjr.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#1007 » by weneeda2guard » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:23 pm

To be honest I feel the best move is to keep Williams as he could be even better for us at the 4 on a rookie deal

But there is also this issue of his wrist and I remember the initial word is that it could be a career changing type of injury. That it could possibly never be the same. Do we factor this in on whether we should move him or not or have those initial reports been modified? We are going to look like fools if another one of our competitors land Grant and pwill goes down again for another 6 months due to a wrist that will always be an issue.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#1008 » by prolific passer » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:20 pm

weneeda2guard wrote:To be honest I feel the best move is to keep Williams as he could be even better for us at the 4 on a rookie deal

But there is also this issue of his wrist and I remember the initial word is that it could be a career changing type of injury. That it could possibly never be the same. Do we factor this in on whether we should move him or not or have those initial reports been modified? We are going to look like fools if another one of our competitors land Grant and pwill goes down again for another 6 months due to a wrist that will always be an issue.

I wonder if the bulls would have signed a guy like Biyombo at the beginning of the season for cheap and split time between him and Pat. Maybe Pat doesn't get injured and the bulls are in better shape at the 4 spot. Big maybe though. Injuries and covid are really hurting the bulls. The win streak feels like a lifetime ago.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#1009 » by TheSuzerain » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:24 pm

I'd love to trade for THT as an improving asset for the future, but I don't really see him being all that useful for us this year. The shot just isn't there yet.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#1010 » by weneeda2guard » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:31 pm

prolific passer wrote:
weneeda2guard wrote:To be honest I feel the best move is to keep Williams as he could be even better for us at the 4 on a rookie deal

I wonder if the bulls would have signed a guy like Biyombo at the beginning of the season for cheap and split time between him and Pat. Maybe Pat doesn't get injured and the bulls are in better shape at the 4 spot. Big maybe though. Injuries and covid are really hurting the bulls. The win streak feels like a lifetime ago.

Akme went after the guy we needed. Which was Javele Mcgee but he went elsewhere. Honestly we grabbed a couple good pieces in Bradley and Derrick Jones Jr. What happened to Patrick Williams was just a unfortunate circumstance.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,104

Post#1011 » by cool007 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:31 pm

If Wizads deal Bradley Beal or look to just sell and start rebuilding, I would really look to trade for Kyle Kuzma.

Kuzma would be picture perfect PF that we need and I am willing to trade Patrick Williams, Portland Pick and any of TBJ/DJJ/Fillers.

The lineup of:

Lonzo
Lavine
Demar
Kuzma
Vuc

Would easily make us title contenders.
nanokooshball
Sophomore
And1: 257

Post#1012 » by nanokooshball » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:51 pm

cool007 wrote:If Wizads deal Bradley Beal or look to just sell and start rebuilding, I would really look to trade for Kyle Kuzma.

Kuzma would be picture perfect PF that we need and I am willing to trade Patrick Williams, Portland Pick and any of TBJ/DJJ/Fillers.

The lineup of:

Lonzo
Lavine
Demar
Kuzma
Vuc

Would easily make us title contenders.

I think you can get Kuzma without giving up Patrick Williams.
Pick + Fillers should be good enough
greenwing
Sixth Man
And1: 439

Post#1013 » by greenwing » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:51 pm

I would rather not trade Williams as I think he has the potential to be a very good player. However, we have maybe a two year window right now before we have to retool around Zach. I think if you can get Sabonis in a package for Williams you have to at least consider it. A healthy Bulls squad with a legit starting power forward will be extremely difficult to beat in the playoffs.
HOTCARL_o
Sixth Man
And1: 155

Post#1014 » by HOTCARL_o » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:04 pm

What about a small trade for Yuta Watanabe, solid defender and hustle player. Cheap contract, maybe they can hope Marko can evolve into something lol
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#1015 » by HomoSapien » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:17 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’ve said not to trade for him for this exact reason numerous times. He took less money to be the main guy in Det. He doesn’t want to be the 3rd or 4th option here.

Well, that's a shame, but I wonder how many teams outside of Detroit would really feature him in the way he's looking for. If not him, then I still think Barnes is a good plan B.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,961

Post#1016 » by Wingy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:01 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well, that's a shame, but I wonder how many teams outside of Detroit would really feature him in the way he's looking for. If not him, then I still think Barnes is a good plan B.

With the huge number of ties he has with us (AK, ME, BD, Uncle Horace), and where we’re at as a team, I think he could be sold on us. The chance to go head-to-head with KD and/or Giannis and show your stuff on the playoffs big stage? There is no greater opportunity to get PAID than showing out in those matchups.

Key contributors on winners always get overpaid. I don’t know as he loses all that much in terms of money. In terms of role, he should be above this version of Vuc, and I’m not convinced DD is going to play like he has in the long run. We’re already seeing a dropoff. I don’t know as he buys into that story (that his role will grow as Vuc/DD fade and/or leave), but who knows.
Bulls2021
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Post#1017 » by Bulls2021 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:04 pm

I do wonder how much truth there is to that. Uncle Horace could ask him if he would want to be a number 3 option on this playoff team. I still don't think he would say no to that..
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,548

Options to fix the PF hole 

Post#1018 » by Andi Obst » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:19 pm

Bulls2021 wrote:I do wonder how much truth there is to that. Uncle Horace could ask him if he would want to be a number 3 option on this playoff team. I still don't think he would say no to that..

Denver offered him the same deal he ended up taking with the Pistons. He took a bigger role over being a role player on a contender back then, so I think it’s very plausible he would do that again.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Jimmy Forums
Veteran

Post#1019 » by Jimmy Forums » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:21 pm

Wingy wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

With the huge number of ties he has with us (AK, ME, BD, Uncle Horace), and where we’re at as a team, I think he could be sold on us. The chance to go head-to-head with KD and/or Giannis and show your stuff on the playoffs big stage? There is no greater opportunity to get PAID than showing out in those matchups.

Key contributors on winners always get overpaid. I don’t know as he loses all that much in terms of money. In terms of role, he should be above this version of Vuc, and I’m not convinced DD is going to play like he has in the long run. We’re already seeing a dropoff. I don’t know as he buys into that story (that his role will grow as Vuc/DD fade and/or leave), but who knows.

Worst case scenario for Grant, he plays as a third option on a contender down the stretch and re-reminds the NBA that he can put up a pretty good effort defending KD/Giannis, and he's ultimately traded to some team now more willing to invest in him.

Bulls get Grant for the stretch run then flip him, could be an interesting scenario.

I agree though, there's a lot of ties between Grant and the Bulls and that does make me believe if any team out there is able to get him to accept a "role," it would be us.
Bulls2021
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Post#1020 » by Bulls2021 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:24 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
Bulls2021 wrote:I do wonder how much truth there is to that. Uncle Horace could ask him if he would want to be a number 3 option on this playoff team. I still don't think he would say no to that..

Denver offered him the same deal he ended up taking with the Pistons. He took a bigger role over being a role player on a contender back then, so I think it’s very plausible he would do that again.

I just can't imagine a competitor wanting to be on a god awful team just so he can be "the man".

Return to Chicago Bulls