Image ImageImage Image

Options to fix the PF hole

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Bulls2021
Pro Prospect
And1: 544

Re: Options to fix the PF hole 

Post#461 » by Bulls2021 » Tue Dec 7, 2021 5:08 am

Flopper wrote:I see no reason why DJJ can't be our starting 4 for the rest of the season. There's definitely a strength limitation there, but he really checks all the boxes with his defensive range/versatility, finishing at the rim, blocks + steals, and ability to knock down an open 3. The defensive chaos this team creates with him and some combination Ball, Caruso, and Ayo on the floor is really something to behold. Assuming he doesn't massively regress, I think his presence gives the FO flexibility to make a deal on their own terms or do nothing at all at the deadline.

I still prefer that we explore options at the 4. I've really come on to the idea of packaging PWill + Coby + Troy Brown for Jonathon Isaac (and maybe Michael Carter Williams), if isaac looks normal post injury. I think it's a pipe dream, given his vaccination status.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,893

Post#462 » by biggestbullsfan » Tue Dec 7, 2021 6:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Probably can’t afford either, and I’m sure the Packers don’t wanna trade to a team in the same division but it’ll be worth looking into. Depending what they want.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,332

Post#463 » by HoopsterJones » Tue Dec 7, 2021 6:05 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Probably can’t afford either, and I’m sure the Packers don’t wanna trade to a team in the same division but it’ll be worth looking into. Depending what they want.

Beat me to it. I don’t think Turner will cost as much as Sabonis. They almost traded him last season in a Gordon Hayward sign and trade. Won’t hurt to ask for what their asking price is.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,879

Post#464 » by nomorezorro » Tue Dec 7, 2021 6:05 pm

“trading a 25 year old to start a rebuild” is a depressing-ass place for a team to be.

for our purposes, it’s a shame they have two centers and no pfs. maybe they’d want to kick start their reboot by swapping turner for promising young prospect nikola vucevic
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,893

Post#465 » by biggestbullsfan » Tue Dec 7, 2021 6:14 pm

nomorezorro wrote:“trading a 25 year old to start a rebuild” is a depressing-ass place for a team to be.

for our purposes, it’s a shame they have two centers and no pfs. maybe they’d want to kick start their reboot by swapping turner for promising young prospect nikola vucevic

Personally I’d try to start either of them alongside Vuc. Might slow us down some but we will be better overall imo and can still spread the floor since both can somewhat shoot.
sdeezy
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#466 » by sdeezy » Tue Dec 7, 2021 6:30 pm

Myles Turner would be so ridiculously perfect for this Bulls squad that it hurts to think about. No Way Indy trades him to a division rival though. And i dont think we have any players they want.
montestewart wrote:Blatche and McGee standing next to Boozer and Thomas reminded me of first-time offenders meeting real cons in a "scared straight" program.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,879

Post#467 » by nomorezorro » Tue Dec 7, 2021 6:32 pm

two centers on the court at the same time is straight up not gonna work in the playoffs. even one center has been hit or miss for teams without very good defensive centers.

for all the fretting about how small ball might be untenable, there sure are a lot of people who want to construct a roster that’s probably destined to fail
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
sdeezy
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#468 » by sdeezy » Tue Dec 7, 2021 6:43 pm

nomorezorro wrote:two centers on the court at the same time is straight up not gonna work in the playoffs. even one center has been hit or miss for teams without very good defensive centers.

for all the fretting about how small ball might be untenable, there sure are a lot of people who want to construct a roster that’s probably destined to fail

well, if one of said Centers shoots 40% from 3, has the footspeed and lateral quickness to guard out on the perimeter and can still hold down the paint, doesn't that change things?
montestewart wrote:Blatche and McGee standing next to Boozer and Thomas reminded me of first-time offenders meeting real cons in a "scared straight" program.
DxC17
Junior
And1: 432

Post#469 » by DxC17 » Tue Dec 7, 2021 6:48 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
nomorezorro wrote:“trading a 25 year old to start a rebuild” is a depressing-ass place for a team to be.

Personally I’d try to start either of them alongside Vuc. Might slow us down some but we will be better overall imo and can still spread the floor since both can somewhat shoot.

So we should try to recreate what failed in Indy? The twin tower stuff doesn't work in 2021. We should not be giving up the farm to grab Turner who at best would be 6th in minutes played after Zach, DDR, Lonzo, Vuc & Caruso.

Seems like a lot for a role player. We need a 4 that is built for 2021 - someone strong that can space the floor, run in transition, and switch on to multiple positions. Someone like a Jae Crowder or a Nic Batum
mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#470 » by mack2354 » Tue Dec 7, 2021 6:49 pm

Flopper wrote:I see no reason why DJJ can't be our starting 4 for the rest of the season. There's definitely a strength limitation there, but he really checks all the boxes with his defensive range/versatility, finishing at the rim, blocks + steals, and ability to knock down an open 3. The defensive chaos this team creates with him and some combination Ball, Caruso, and Ayo on the floor is really something to behold. Assuming he doesn't massively regress, I think his presence gives the FO flexibility to make a deal on their own terms or do nothing at all at the deadline.

This season 3pt%:

50% --- P. Will
38.5% --- Javonte Green
30.4% --- DJJ

The starting lineup consists of 3 All Stars and a guy who is currently shooting the 3 ball better than anyone in the league. That 5th guy is going to be wide open a lot. They have to be able to knock down catch and shoot 3's at a good rate. DJJ has been doing a lot of things well but shooting isn't one of them. I love what he brings to the team and I like him in the rotation but that starting unit is simply better with someone shooting the 3 at a better clip.
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#471 » by StunnerKO » Tue Dec 7, 2021 7:38 pm

Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,480

Post#472 » by Flopper » Wed Dec 8, 2021 3:38 am

mack2354 wrote:

This season 3pt%:

50% --- P. Will
38.5% --- Javonte Green
30.4% --- DJJ

The starting lineup consists of 3 All Stars and a guy who is currently shooting the 3 ball better than anyone in the league. That 5th guy is going to be wide open a lot. They have to be able to knock down catch and shoot 3's at a good rate. DJJ has been doing a lot of things well but shooting isn't one of them. I love what he brings to the team and I like him in the rotation but that starting unit is simply better with someone shooting the 3 at a better clip.

I think the value he brings defensively, in transition, and as a roll man in PnR far out-weigh the marginal increase in 3P% another PF might bring, especially on the low 3P volume the 4 has on this team due to the glut of high volume scoring options already in place. Based on what I've seen teams still close out on him despite the low %, likely because he'd end up with an easy dunk or layup if left uncovered due to his length, quickness, and hops. Things may change in a more half-court oriented playoff series, but the Bulls are winning now because of huge turnover and transition scoring margins and DJJ is a definite part of that identity. It would be good to keep that going when the reservoir of late game iso heroics runs dry.
erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Post#473 » by erlim » Wed Dec 8, 2021 4:29 am

I see this dude getting hyped to the heavens on YouTube, constantly dropping near 40 points night in and night outs he looks bigger than 275 though. I mean personally I think it’s a big farce, I recently listened to Charles Barkley saying how ineffective he was in the NBA at his college weight of 6’5” and 295—owing his proficiency at the game to Moses Malone working with him to get down to 250. He kept stressing how much more demanding conditioning was in the NBA vs NCAA.

Anyway, Kenny Lofton Jr, YouTube wonder and darling of new media amateur NBA analyst influencers everywhere and supposedly gettable in the draft.
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,479

Post#474 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 4:33 am

sdeezy wrote:Myles Turner would be so ridiculously perfect for this Bulls squad that it hurts to think about. No Way Indy trades him to a division rival though. And i dont think we have any players they want.

Bro legit would be a great fit but I dont see them doing it
Senor Chang
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,216

Post#475 » by Senor Chang » Wed Dec 8, 2021 8:25 am

sdeezy wrote:
nomorezorro wrote:two centers on the court at the same time is straight up not gonna work in the playoffs. even one center has been hit or miss for teams without very good defensive centers.

well, if one of said Centers shoots 40% from 3, has the footspeed and lateral quickness to guard out on the perimeter and can still hold down the paint, doesn't that change things?

Myles Turner would complete this team and launch us into legit title contention. He can guard the Giannis and ADs of the league while being able to spread the floor for us a bit. He is a great shot blocker with his 7'4" wingspan.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM Forums mobile app
wayoftheroad wrote:We’re getting bodied by Moochie Norris lmao
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#476 » by FreeThrowLine » Wed Dec 8, 2021 9:33 am

Myles Turner is the guy you all think is the perfect fit from those Pacers names? I find him very underwhelming. Now Sabonis I could understand, would you consider White and Williams + filler?
HINrichPolice
General Manager
And1: 1,706

Post#477 » by HINrichPolice » Wed Dec 8, 2021 1:41 pm

Patrick Williams for Myles. I'm in.
CONTENDERS FIND A WAY
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,586

Post#478 » by JohnnyTapwater » Wed Dec 8, 2021 2:14 pm

I'll take Turner...plug him at PF with Vuc.

Interior defense and size - check.

I'm shocked people don't like the sound of that.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#479 » by MGB8 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 2:26 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:Myles Turner is the guy you all think is the perfect fit from those Pacers names? I find him very underwhelming. Now Sabonis I could understand, would you consider White and Williams + filler?

Both are centers - neither works. Sabonis would work as a Vuc *replacement* 2 years down the line. Heck, Turner would work, too, but then you'd need to get a more offensively oriented comb-forward 4 in the starting lineup (a la a Harrison Barnes or TJ Warren or Tobias Harris, etc., etc.).

For the immediate future, the issue is that the Bulls need a "Lonzo Ball" type combo-forward 4. A very strong, switchable defender who can hit 3s at a high rate, but who doesn't demand a lot of shots (but will take them when needed, and will remain offensively involved even when not taking a lot of shots).

Given that, I'm not sure that Harrison Barnes or Jerami Grant, or even Pascal Siakam (who doesn't take *quite* as many shots), would "work" at the 4 between DeRozan and Vuc.

OG? Yes (and pretty, pretty, please.... but no chance of happening). A healthy Jonathan Isaac? Yes (but also not happening). DFS? Yes (but not happening). A RoCo that wasn't playing like a dog's rear-end? Yes (but chances are that's not happening either). Royce O'Neal? Yes (but not happening).

Maybe a Nassir Little (but why isn't he starting over RoCo). Rudy Gay at this point in his career (but the Jazz aren't moving him).

So I think that, rather than expending significant assets, you end up having to look for small moves that might work. Maybe playable rotation guys with good fit profiles - a la the Thunder's Isaiah Roby (who has some youth/upside) or the Pacer's very "meh" Torrey Craig (who is 31, makes 5M next year, and has a terrible plus minus track record, to include this year).

Or maybe you wait for some buy-outs, or scour the G-League and or over-seas guys who are poachable and potentially just as good as the Roby/Craig tier (DJ Wilson, Quincy Acy, Bruno Caboclo, Jan Vesely, etc.)
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,048

Post#480 » by FriedRise » Wed Dec 8, 2021 2:42 pm

I don't watch a lot of Indiana basketball so I don't know the intricacies, but if Turner can't make it work with Sabonis - who seems kind of a similar player to Vooch - why would he be a good fit here?

Return to Chicago Bulls