Image ImageImage Image

Dear Stacey King . . .

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

InsideInfo
Bench Warmer
And1: 769

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#21 » by InsideInfo » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:49 pm

I could also do without him signing "if i could be like zach"

It seems like he is always searching for his next catch phrase. Just be yourself... he is naturally a funny guy, but he says one thing and its like now we have to hear that 5 times a game for the next 82 games.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#22 » by dougthonus » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:51 pm

I don't mind Stacey, but he needs to get some feedback on his schtick.

Bane voice - awful
Ayo Silver away - awful

A lot of the other stuff can be a bit repetitive and you may not like it, but you will just not like King at all if that's the case (which is fine, no one has 100% fans), but even within the realm of things he's good at and people whom are fans would find enjoyable, those two things have got to go.

On the other hand, I like the AC puns for Caruso, turn the AC up or someone turned on the AC are good IMO.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#23 » by dougthonus » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:52 pm

InsideInfo wrote:I could also do without him signing "if i could be like zach"

It seems like he is always searching for his next catch phrase. Just be yourself... he is naturally a funny guy, but he says one thing and its like now we have to hear that 5 times a game for the next 82 games.

I don't mind this one, but I can see how it could be annoying.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#24 » by dougthonus » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:53 pm

Also, I'm just going to say this. I love Adam Amin. What an amazing upgrade to Funk. There are times where I agree that he gets a bit too off tangent goofing with King, but his positive energy is such a blessing compared to Funk especially in this season.
@doug_thonus on twitter
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,302

Post#25 » by HoopsterJones » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:53 pm

Spot on. Hate the Bane voice. Hate it.
We can never have Desmond Bane on the Bulls roster.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
chicago paxsons
Bench Warmer
And1: 715

Post#26 » by chicago paxsons » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:56 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:We hear so much about this Jeff Vukovich guy, let's get him in the booth for a game and see if he's really as great as they make him out to be /s

I vote for a three-man booth of Stacey, Vook, and Howard Ankin.

Bob Rohrman could be a good fill-in.

I think he died, so that would make for an interesting conversation for amin and stacey about why it was decided a corpse was allowed in the booth.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#27 » by Grodoboldo » Wed Nov 3, 2021 6:57 pm

FriedRise wrote:The Bane impression started when we played Memphis in preseason and Desmond Bane made a layup. I thought it was funny then the first time (I have a sense of humor), but now it does feel random and odd when we're not playing Memphis or when Bane isn't in the game.

Like this one:
Read on Twitter

Yep. And that was such a nice clip! Sadly ruined forever by that terrible Bane impression.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#28 » by bad knees » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:02 pm

For me the most annoying part is that he feels compelled to insert a catchphrase after almost every play - good or bad. He has a limited arsenal, so it gets really annoying when you hear the same silliness every game, multiple times each game. I enjoy some good silliness as much as the next person, and almost all of the Stacyisms are funny the first or second time, but the repetition is what gets me. He needs to spread out the funny lines, thereby reducing our exposure to them. Otherwise, the annoyance factor starts to rise up and off the charts.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,133

Post#29 » by HomoSapien » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:08 pm

Good thread, Duck. We know that they monitor the RealGM forums to an extent, so this could actually get seen by him and Amin.

The Bane thing is annoying. Save it for when we play the Grizzlies. Otherwise, it's just such a dated reference. You might as well do the Budweiser "whassup" bit while you're at it.

Here's my overall note. For the bulk of his time here, we haven't been good so his humor brought some levity to an otherwise dark era. We're good now, and because of that I want to see a more serious telecast that doesn't always devolve into King and Amin laughing it up like an inside joke between college buddies. It just makes everything feel less... I don't know, important?

Finally, want to give a shout-out to Amin. He gets a fair amount of hate, but I think his play by play is really great and given how young he is, he's likely going to be the voice of the Bulls for the next generation of Bulls fan.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
nekorajo
Bench Warmer
And1: 572

Post#30 » by nekorajo » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:11 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
Wingy wrote:That bad Nation Wide “golden pipes” and Amin’s weird side kick role in that irks me as well.

Stacey and Amin are far too similar in personality. Funk was the perfect straight man for Stacey to play off of, now it's like two wanna-be comedians in the booth trying to make each other laugh. Plus I feel like Amin is a bit of a brown noser to Stacey. Has he ever disagreed with him ever?

No. The only thing Funk was 'perfect' for was retirement. There is nothing Stacey or Amin could do that would make me wish for Funk anywhere near a microphone again.

I don't think Stacey is any worse than he ever has been. A lot of his schtick in the past was directed towards making fun of Funk's stodginess - but none of it was ever really funny.

I turn the volume down and listen in silence for a few minutes when Stacey gets rolling.

Nailed it dude.

Complaining about the Bane impersonation is so petty. Stacey's job is to add color to the commentary. If his dad jokes bother you, maybe just listen to the radio broadcast instead.

Also, Funk was nowhere near as good as Amin. It wouldn't surprise me to see him calling games on ESPN or TNT one day.
Bulliever2020
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,905

Post#31 » by Bulliever2020 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:16 pm

I have league pass so I just listen to the opposing team's broadcast every time for a while now. Stacey's style has always annoyed me but I also really like hearing what the opposing team's announcers comments about the Bulls are.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#32 » by MrSparkle » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:17 pm

Just got a feeling it's all gonna get better as he ages and gets more goofy... while simultaneously getting worse, if that makes any sense.

I personally feel like Amin is just too young and nice to pair with him. You need to sometimes put Stacey in his place, or atleast joust or make fun of him a bit, light banter, but right now it's like a free-for-all let Stacey be a goof without calling it out.

I'm not sure why Mark Schanowski didn't get the call. Maybe they really wanted to diversify and get younger. But he's been a great Chicago voice for decades, and he keeps it real- isn't scared to call someone out, also easy to get along with.

The female considered (was it Beth Mowins?) would've been refreshing as well. Although I didn't get the sense that Stacey felt all that comfortable with the female auditions.

I don't know. We're stuck with the duo for a long time, unless Amin gets a job promotion (uh - join the TNT crew?). Not sure they thought this one out very well, but it's also not the worst broadcasting tandem. Neil Funk had his moments and was a delightful voice, but obviously his confusions on TV were too much. I haven't decided whether I actually prefer Amin or not.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#33 » by HomoSapien » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:22 pm

nekorajo wrote:
Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:Stacey and Amin are far too similar in personality. Funk was the perfect straight man for Stacey to play off of, now it's like two wanna-be comedians in the booth trying to make each other laugh. Plus I feel like Amin is a bit of a brown noser to Stacey. Has he ever disagreed with him ever?

No. The only thing Funk was 'perfect' for was retirement. There is nothing Stacey or Amin could do that would make me wish for Funk anywhere near a microphone again.

I don't think Stacey is any worse than he ever has been. A lot of his schtick in the past was directed towards making fun of Funk's stodginess - but none of it was ever really funny.

I turn the volume down and listen in silence for a few minutes when Stacey gets rolling.

Nailed it dude.

Complaining about the Bane impersonation is so petty. Stacey's job is to add color to the commentary. If his dad jokes bother you, maybe just listen to the radio broadcast instead.

Also, Funk was nowhere near as good as Amin. It wouldn't surprise me to see him calling games on ESPN or TNT one day.

Jesus, how on earth did you interpret Magilla's post as some sort of ringing endorsement for King? He's not exactly complimenting the dude here.

I also don't see what's petty about any of this. Telecasts are entertainment for the fans. Judging by the tone of the game threads (and this one), this fanbase overwhelmingly seems to find the Bane thing annoying. I'm not a hundred, I don't want to listen to the game on the radio. I want a better quality telecast to coincide with this improved team. Doesn't seem like that big of an ask.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,902

Post#34 » by ChettheJet » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:34 pm

Stacey's joking style is perfect for a losing team. When you know by halftime that the game is lost the announcer has to do more than say they need to get the ball inside and tighten up the defense to keep viewers from leaving.

But the Bulls finally have a team that can get a big lead, hold a big lead, come back from a big deficit and most importantly win games. So when he's not focused on the game and doing his comedy routine, it distracts from the game when you actually want to stay engaged with the game. He needs to shut that down except for the commercial breaks and point out why the Bulls are in the game or what they need to do to get back in it.

I would like to see them have a third color guy on the games, maybe former players for stretches of games just to change things up. Have somebody different for 8-10 games at a time, maybe one person to go on the west coast trip or the Texas triangle.

I never had a problem with Neil Funk, I really can't stand Chuck Swirsky any more than when he did sports on WGN radio. He's like a parody of an announcer. Understand that I grew up watching Jim Durham and Johnny Kerr and there were years when they did the simulcast on TV and radio.
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,704

Post#35 » by BullChit » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:37 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:We hear so much about this Jeff Vukovich guy, let's get him in the booth for a game and see if he's really as great as they make him out to be /s

Forget the booth with a name like that you know he can knock down a jump shot or two... If he can play any D at all he could possibly be our solution at the 4...
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#36 » by HomoSapien » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:38 pm

One solution might be to add a third person to the booth that's there to inject hard core analysis. If you add one more person, by default, you're reducing how much Stacey speaks. It just can't turn into Stacey railing on that person for being a nerd or something the whole time.
nekorajo
Bench Warmer
And1: 572

Post#37 » by nekorajo » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:41 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
nekorajo wrote:
Magilla_Gorilla wrote:

Nailed it dude.

Made me laugh that you took Magilla's post as some sort of ringing endorsement for King. He's not exactly complimenting the dude here.

I also don't see what's petty about any of this. Telecasts are entertainment for the fans. Judging by the tone of the game threads (and this one), this fanbase overwhelmingly seems to find the Bane thing annoying. I'm not a hundred, I don't want to listen to the game on the radio. I want a better quality telecast to coincide with this improved team. Doesn't seem like that big of an ask.

I gave Amin a ringing endorsement. Neither of us gave Stacey an endorsement, but I will now. Stacey's job is to keep things lively which he does well for the most part. The corny dad jokes is how he expresses positivity. Tbh I don't get the Bane impersonation either, but its so corny and I'll timed that I find it slightly amusing.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,289

Post#38 » by Kurt Heimlich » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:42 pm

Bane voice - so bizarre and terribly done that I actually laugh at it, in a "wtf is going on" sorta way.

Ayo Silver away - this one makes me cringe. I hope he can find some better stuff for Ayo.

DeMarvelous - I'm obsessed with this one, can't stop quoting it.

I'm a Stacey fan, but I can understand if people aren't. Amin is good, andway better than Funk was at the end when it comes to tracking the games, getting names right etc. But he definitely gets carried away being Stacey's fanboy/sidekick too often.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,206

Post#39 » by fleet » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:45 pm

Electric Slim wrote:Love Stacey just absolutely loathe the Bane thing. Nails on a chalkboard.

People must stop comparing things to nails on a chalkboard, because all it does is make other people think about nails on a chalkboard when they had blissfully forgotten about nails on a chalkboard.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
GoBlue72391
General Manager
And1: 5,676

Post#40 » by GoBlue72391 » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:47 pm

For the record, I like both Stacey and Amin individually, I just don't like them together as a pair.

Return to Chicago Bulls