Image ImageImage Image

Dear Stacey King . . .

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Michael Jackson, Payt10, dougthonus, kulaz3000, Tommy Udo 6 , Ice Man, DASMACKDOWN, fleet, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper

Mk0
RealGM
Posts: 16,030
And1: 9,377
Joined: Jul 02, 2010
   

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#221 » by Mk0 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:25 pm

Please no more Bane or Cookie Monster.. I am begging you.
User avatar
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 19,354
And1: 4,700
Joined: Jun 15, 2001

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#222 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:57 pm

InsideInfo wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:Gonna chime in that his "cuppy coffee and biggie bagel...." nightly advertisement random voice change is also baffling and just....not good lol.

I still defend Stacey and think he brings plenty of good stuff to the broadcast. But we're on a forum and here to nitpick. So, there's my two cents of nit, to pick.


Cuppy coffee
Nationwide song
Bane voice
Cookies
Compton in the house
hot sauce
bang bang bang
siracha
If i could be like zach
no soup for you
let me get some butta with that role
5 Devante greens out there
chi slamma jamma
these aint last years bulls

Each and every game has just become the same catch phrases over and over. At this point he could be replaced with sound bites.



The one that really gets me is the like Zach. I can tune the rest of it out but that one hits me like when my kid is trying to annoy me lol.
GinWeary
Junior
Posts: 298
And1: 161
Joined: Apr 13, 2013
       

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#223 » by GinWeary » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:03 pm

OldSchoolNoBull wrote:I don't understand the desire for our local guys to NOT be homers. Aren't local guys supposed to be homers? I mean Red Kerr was a huge homer for over thirty years on our local telecasts, and he's a beloved icon in our franchise.


I have never heard the levels of King's homerism come from ANY of the other local broadcasters outside of Hawk. Len, Boog, JD, Pat, Eddie O, and Stone never stoop to any of the recent Bulls broadcasters and their over the top homerism. You can't listen to a current Cubs or Sox game and even come close to comparing them to King.

I might be the minority, but near the end of Kerr's career, I couldn't deal with him and Dore or the Packer loving Larivee. The Bulls always have the worst of the local Chicago broadcasters outside of Hawk.
:banghead:
iqureshi
Junior
Posts: 257
And1: 56
Joined: Feb 21, 2005
Contact:

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#224 » by iqureshi » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:12 pm

I think its great with what he's doing and his delivery on the material he'll bring in a new generation of bulls fans. I don't think its catered to the message board generation anymore, more the reddit/discord/IG generation. His bites fit in great on the highlight packages bleacher report and other outlets show more and more of now.

His in your face homerism was annoying when the team sucked, but when you win more games then you lose, it's nice.
InsideInfo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,282
And1: 582
Joined: Mar 25, 2008

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#225 » by InsideInfo » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:21 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
InsideInfo wrote:
Kurt Heimlich wrote:Gonna chime in that his "cuppy coffee and biggie bagel...." nightly advertisement random voice change is also baffling and just....not good lol.

I still defend Stacey and think he brings plenty of good stuff to the broadcast. But we're on a forum and here to nitpick. So, there's my two cents of nit, to pick.


Cuppy coffee
Nationwide song
Bane voice
Cookies
Compton in the house
hot sauce
bang bang bang
siracha
If i could be like zach
no soup for you
let me get some butta with that role
5 Devante greens out there
chi slamma jamma
these aint last years bulls

Each and every game has just become the same catch phrases over and over. At this point he could be replaced with sound bites.



The one that really gets me is the like Zach. I can tune the rest of it out but that one hits me like when my kid is trying to annoy me lol.


Agreed that is the worst.. If i could get rid of that, the cookies, cuppy coffee, and bane i would probably stop complaining.

Cookies isnt that bad in itself, its just the voice he has to do it that drives me nuts.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 56,396
And1: 24,700
Joined: Dec 23, 2002
     

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#226 » by fleet » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:23 pm

dougthonus wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:jason benetti is way better than adam


I don't care for Benetti at all myself.

Benetti and Stacey together is like 2 movie actors together doing bad duo comedy.
Try the Trump Tax Calculator!

JackFinn wrote:I see you're back from a trip at the smarty pants store.
User avatar
rtblues
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,766
And1: 2,554
Joined: Jul 12, 2008

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#227 » by rtblues » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:53 pm

Only stream I could find for the NY game was with the Knicks announcing team, and as cheesey as Walt Frazier is, it was still better than the cringe-inducing Stacey-isms.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
InsideInfo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,282
And1: 582
Joined: Mar 25, 2008

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#228 » by InsideInfo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:08 am

I am pretty sure he has said "thats 5-10 on the streets" every single game this year

Thinking about watching the second half on mute.
User avatar
JohnnyTapwater
Veteran
Posts: 2,977
And1: 1,447
Joined: Nov 06, 2009
Location: Chicago
   

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#229 » by JohnnyTapwater » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:35 am

COOOOKIES!

lol
bulls_troy
General Manager
Posts: 8,652
And1: 251
Joined: Apr 09, 2002
 

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#230 » by bulls_troy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:16 am

Or you could go listen to the boring broadcasters of other teams...
Twitter: @bulls_troy
InsideInfo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,282
And1: 582
Joined: Mar 25, 2008

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#231 » by InsideInfo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:12 am

bulls_troy wrote:Or you could go listen to the boring broadcasters of other teams...


honestly i want boring. I dont watch to be entertained by King.. The bulls are the show, not the play by play.

Honestly i think thats the problem. King things people tune in to listen to him.
User avatar
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 19,354
And1: 4,700
Joined: Jun 15, 2001

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#232 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:18 am

InsideInfo wrote:
bulls_troy wrote:Or you could go listen to the boring broadcasters of other teams...


honestly i want boring. I dont watch to be entertained by King.. The bulls are the show, not the play by play.

Honestly i think thats the problem. King things people tune in to listen to him.



Agreed but king has been calling for a team for a few years with minimal talent and wins. He was doing his job even if I dislike him.
User avatar
Jcool0
RealGM
Posts: 10,616
And1: 6,565
Joined: Jul 12, 2014
Location: Illinois
         

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#233 » by Jcool0 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:42 am

InsideInfo wrote:
bulls_troy wrote:Or you could go listen to the boring broadcasters of other teams...


honestly i want boring. I dont watch to be entertained by King.. The bulls are the show, not the play by play.

Honestly i think thats the problem. King things people tune in to listen to him.


No one wants this:

;ab_channel=NBA
Red8911
RealGM
Posts: 11,533
And1: 3,009
Joined: Jul 13, 2010
Location: BROOKLYN

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#234 » by Red8911 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:57 pm

I was wondering is Stacey is still married ? He got married a couple of years ago and used to post pictures with his wife all the time on social media but has stopped for a while now.
Wingy
RealGM
Posts: 10,173
And1: 1,846
Joined: Feb 15, 2007

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#235 » by Wingy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:48 pm

Well, Bane is thankfully gone. Replaced by Cookie Monster. Which I have to admit I’ve laughed at times due to the continued, consistent ridiculousness of it, but see it growing old fast. The Dunkins bit I’m fine with. Speaking of ridiculous, that’s such a silly ad, so Stacey’s bit just fits with it.

He has plenty of good. He has his really bad. Like others have said, I wish he’d offer more actual analysis to compliment his usual shtick.
jStuNNa
Head Coach
Posts: 6,097
And1: 446
Joined: Nov 29, 2003
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#236 » by jStuNNa » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:02 pm

Stacey is awesome. Outside of ESPN and TNT talent, one of the best color analysts in the NBA.
InsideInfo
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,282
And1: 582
Joined: Mar 25, 2008

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#237 » by InsideInfo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:16 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
InsideInfo wrote:
bulls_troy wrote:Or you could go listen to the boring broadcasters of other teams...


honestly i want boring. I dont watch to be entertained by King.. The bulls are the show, not the play by play.

Honestly i think thats the problem. King things people tune in to listen to him.


No one wants this:

;ab_channel=NBA


this is exactly what i want lol
User avatar
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 54,406
And1: 26,586
Joined: Jun 11, 2004
Location: Right in the middle
   

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#238 » by coldfish » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:01 am

Dear Stacey King:

Not every missed shot is a bad shot. Not every opponent score is a defensive mistake. Please just shut up.
User avatar
SalmonsSuperfan
Pro Prospect
Posts: 920
And1: 1,005
Joined: Feb 14, 2019
 

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#239 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:18 am

i think now that neil is gone we're ready to move on to stacey as whipping boy....in ten years, it'll be 'i'm tired of amin the robot'

neil and stacey had a good dynamic. adam and stacey do not. amin is the guy with the big shot credentials but he doesn't add anything to the game...no insight knowledge or anything that differentiates him from other announcers. he's not even a homer. i listen to him and think he doesn't even like basketball. when cp3-adam does the call on some wild energy play (dunks, clutch shots, whatever) i feel like he's not actually excited and pumped up he just thinks "it is my job as the announcer to be excited at this moment. as such, the intonation of my voice will reflect that."
it's funny cuz i listen to benetti fill in and think his commentary is just flatout better. he knows the players and league as well as the primary announcer does and has a point of view to offer beyond parroting whatever stacey says. plus he just feels like a fan of the city's teams which i think is the main thing. superstar adam is thinking about his next national gig, cool guy benetti is at home yelling at the tv while the bears lose.
problem with the broadcasting duo in general is that they have larger aspirations (stacey's line of 'gimme the hot sauce' t-shirts and literal hot sauces, adam as new age mike breen). stacey needs to lay off the catchphrases and adam needs to take his day job more seriously
User avatar
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 54,406
And1: 26,586
Joined: Jun 11, 2004
Location: Right in the middle
   

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#240 » by coldfish » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:19 pm

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:i think now that neil is gone we're ready to move on to stacey as whipping boy....in ten years, it'll be 'i'm tired of amin the robot'

neil and stacey had a good dynamic. adam and stacey do not. amin is the guy with the big shot credentials but he doesn't add anything to the game...no insight knowledge or anything that differentiates him from other announcers. he's not even a homer. i listen to him and think he doesn't even like basketball. when cp3-adam does the call on some wild energy play (dunks, clutch shots, whatever) i feel like he's not actually excited and pumped up he just thinks "it is my job as the announcer to be excited at this moment. as such, the intonation of my voice will reflect that."
it's funny cuz i listen to benetti fill in and think his commentary is just flatout better. he knows the players and league as well as the primary announcer does and has a point of view to offer beyond parroting whatever stacey says. plus he just feels like a fan of the city's teams which i think is the main thing. superstar adam is thinking about his next national gig, cool guy benetti is at home yelling at the tv while the bears lose.
problem with the broadcasting duo in general is that they have larger aspirations (stacey's line of 'gimme the hot sauce' t-shirts and literal hot sauces, adam as new age mike breen). stacey needs to lay off the catchphrases and adam needs to take his day job more seriously


I think Stacey is irritating but it struck me that he does all of the talking and that's part of the issue.

There was a woman announcer who filled in when they were auditioning and she was fantastic. She knew the game, she added value and was calm. She was a good fit with stacey. Unfortunately, they went with the name and it isn't working out.

Return to Chicago Bulls