Image ImageImage Image

Dear Stacey King . . .

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Re: Dear Stacey King . . . 

Post#41 » by dougthonus » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:47 pm

The funny thing about the Bane voice, is I had no idea what he was doing. I could never understand a word he said and just thought what the hell is going on here?
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,707

Post#42 » by BullChit » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:47 pm

I have been watching a lot of reaction videos to bulls highlights (don't judge me) and I cracked up laughing at one highlight video we had about 6 lay ups in succession and the amount of times Stacey said

"let me get some butter with that roll" was ridiculous.

The guy watching wasn't a Bulls fan and he even mentioned how repetitive it was.
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
w0rld_champion
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#43 » by w0rld_champion » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:49 pm

I really like the energy Stacey King brings. Ive heard some other nba broadcasters and almost get put to sleep. The bane impersonation is bad but its hilarious. He def shouldnt do it every game though or it will get old really fast. Love the "Hot Sauce" and "SRIRACHA!"
Grodoboldo
Analyst
And1: 2,819

Post#44 » by Grodoboldo » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:49 pm

dougthonus wrote:Also, I'm just going to say this. I love Adam Amin. What an amazing upgrade to Funk. There are times where I agree that he gets a bit too off tangent goofing with King, but his positive energy is such a blessing compared to Funk especially in this season.

Yep, agree on Amin. We already have some great calls this season. He really sells the hype on our highlights.
Constantly underwhelmed by the Bulls.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#45 » by HomoSapien » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:53 pm

Okay gang. Let's make our list of demands and send them to Comcast. If they're not met, we just all collectively show up at the next home game and simultaneously play "Stacy's Mom" on our phones to drown out his telecast. It's probably a long shot, but I think it could work.

ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Fl_Flash
Starter
And1: 376

Post#46 » by Fl_Flash » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:54 pm

I can do without the Bane impersonation and the "golden pipes" is kind of old now. Overall though, I really like Stacey King as a local announcer. His job is to keep the fans engaged and he does that with his schtick. I don't have too much of a problem with his overall corny-ness. When he decides to actually inject analysis into the game - he's usually spot on. I'm yelling at the game "get the damn ball!" as the Bulls let yet another long rebound hit the floor and the other team gets a second opportunity and King will chime in "you gotta get that rebound. No excuses for not getting that board." Or when a guy on the other team takes the ball 94 feet for a layup. Again - I'm yelling at the screen "pick up the ball!" and there's Stacy "you can't let that happen. Can't let a guy go the length of the floor without picking up the ball".

He knows his stuff really well and when he's actually engaged in the game - he's really good. He appreciates good defense. He gets excited when guys cut and the pass is right there and he points those things out. He really was ragging on the team last year for their lack of pick-and-roll defense. This year he correctly points out that guys are fighting over screens and defenders are hedging just enough to impede the play.

It just when he gets on his goofy tangents that he loses me. Overall I don't mind it too much. He's a homer and he's paid to be a homer. I think he does pretty well with praising players on other teams when they execute well or make an incredible play.

Amin is a bit too much of a side-kick to Stacey. He's a far better play-by-play guy than Funk. He just gets sucked into Stacey's tangents too often and the two of them go off on these rabbit trails that have nothing to do with the game.

Overall - they're not a bad duo. I'll take them over quite a few other teams offerings that I've heard over the years.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,713

Post#47 » by madvillian » Wed Nov 3, 2021 7:57 pm

On a related note Scalabrine and the play by play guy that replaced Tommie on the Celts broadcast were awesome. Like top 5 crew in the league awesome. They are up there with the Clippers crew imo.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,641

Post#48 » by DuckIII » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:05 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:We hear so much about this Jeff Vukovich guy, let's get him in the booth for a game and see if he's really as great as they make him out to be /s

I vote for a three-man booth of Stacey, Vook, and Howard Ankin.

Bob Rohrman could be a good fill-in.

Did anyone else hear the roar in their head when they read this name? Like that’s the way it’s actually pronounced?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#49 » by HomoSapien » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:06 pm

madvillian wrote:On a related note Scalabrine and the play by play guy that replaced Tommie on the Celts broadcast were awesome. Like top 5 crew in the league awesome. They are up there with the Clippers crew imo.

Scal would've been awesome. I was going through ex-Bulls players and forgot about him. Will Perdue is pretty solid but he's a little doom and gloom from what I've seen (I'm not local so I haven't seen a ton of his post-game analysis). I also thought Paxson was really good that one season he was in the booth. Hard to imagine him having interest in that though.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Nucky Thompson
Sixth Man
And1: 652

Post#50 » by Nucky Thompson » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:07 pm

1) You are overthinking this

2) It's sort of funny

3) You are overthinking this
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by DuckIII » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:15 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Good thread, Duck. We know that they monitor the RealGM forums to an extent, so this could actually get seen by him and Amin.

The Bane thing is annoying. Save it for when we play the Grizzlies. Otherwise, it's just such a dated reference. You might as well do the Budweiser "whassup" gag while you're at it.

Here's my overall note. For the bulk of his time here, we haven't been good so his humor brought some levity to an otherwise dark era. We're good now, and because of that I want to see a more serious telecast that doesn't always devolve into King and Amin laughing it up like an inside joke between college buddies. It just makes everything feel less... I don't know, important?

Finally, want to give a shout-out to Amin. He gets a fair amount of hate, but I think his play by play is really great and given how young he is, he's likely going to be the voice of the Bulls for the next generation of Bulls fan.

Amin is clearly a talent. His singular issue, and it’s a big one, is that he has not yet carved out his own identity. He spends too much time as a yes-man for Stacey and lots of times it is clearly forced and insincere.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by DuckIII » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:18 pm

nekorajo wrote:Complaining about the Bane impersonation is so petty. Stacey's job is to add color to the commentary. If his dad jokes bother you, maybe just listen to the radio broadcast instead.

I knew Stacey checks in here! It’s just constructive criticism bro. I’m one of your fans.

P.S. Dad jokes are actually pretty funny.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#53 » by dougthonus » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:21 pm

DuckIII wrote:Amin is clearly a talent. His singular issue, and it’s a big one, is that he has not yet carved out his own identity. He spends too much time as a yes-man for Stacey and lots of times it is clearly forced and insincere.

I think that's somewhat true, but I think that Amin probably doesn't know as much about basketball and some of that is by design and expected of him. I do think he'll get better and better over time.

Stacey's not really my cup of tea, but I get the appeal and for a local announcer I think he's fine. I'd prefer something more deeply analytical and less casual, but that's never going to show up on the local broadcast IMO. Would be really interesting if they gave you multiple audio tracks (seems pretty easy in this day and age) and let you actually pick among different styles of broadcast. That'd be a great feature at some point for all of sports really.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
BullChit
Head Coach
And1: 3,707

Post#54 » by BullChit » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:26 pm

dougthonus wrote:The funny thing about the Bane voice, is I had no idea what he was doing. I could never understand a word he said and just thought what the hell is going on here?

I think that actually makes it a really accurate impression
eMar arnell eRozen... The "D" stands for "Defence"
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,505

Post#55 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:27 pm

Now that the Bulls are good, I think Stacy’s become aware that he has a national audience via House of Highlights and other clips accounts and has been hamming it up for the newcomers.

So far they’ve been eating it up. It’s novel to hear a commentator be a complete goofball if you haven’t had to endure it for 15 years.

But the tide is going to turn because his shtick is ridiculously corny to anyone with repeat exposure, and I’m really curious to see how he reacts when the Twittersphere goes after him.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
Portiseyes
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#56 » by Portiseyes » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:40 pm

I like Stacey. Always have. Liked Funk too, sry. Not sure the bad and ridiculous bane impression really worthy of its own thread. I still find it funny because of the pure gratuitousness of it... sort of like a Leslie Neilsen flick... but I admit even so it may have reached its shelf life. The way bigger issue to me is that the fit with Amin is not working imo... I think the chemistry is bad... for Stacey to work he needs a straight man color commentator who knows the game well, not a Stacey wannabe. Amin needs to call the game straight and leave the hype thing to Stacey for the most part. By which I don't mean to knock Amin TBH, I think he's fine although he's made a few pretty egregious errors like mispronouncing Alize or in the last game calling a classic DD turnaround as being Green??... I feel like he makes at least one big blunder each game. But whatever, he's green and happy to give him some runway to work out the kinks. But not sure how the chemistry thing is going to work. I'm now expecting them to talk over one another on almost every good play. This is WAYYYY more annoying to me than anything else. I wish Funk had stayed around for one more year, if just to call a good team after so many years.

And by straight man, I mean straight person of course. And by straight, I mean... you know what I mean.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,418

Post#57 » by fleet » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:40 pm

I too had no idea what that voice was. Not could I understand a word of what he was saying. Which was annoying just on that basis.

My general take on Stacey is that he is mostly ok, does some dumb bits, but I still prefer him over 90% of what else is out there, judging from trips around League Pass.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Adriano
Junior
And1: 35

Post#58 » by Adriano » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:46 pm

I have LP and always watch the games with the other team broascast. I cant stand Stacey. I dont like any of his catchprhases, I hate the nation wide song and any other song he tries to sing. I cant hear his voice without feel angry, I really, reaalllllyyyy dont like him.

I remember few years ago this guy having and argument with some fan on Twitter and saiyng to this fan the car that he drives as a fact of his superiority over the fan. Since then I cant stand him as a person as well as broadcaster.

For what I've seen in this board he is, in general, well liked, and I respect that. But, for me, as long as he continues with the Bulls, I will always watched the other team broascast. It is a shame because I loved the Johnny Red Kerr era.

As for Amin I have nothing against the guy, but, as pointed out before in this thread, he seems to be a "Yes Sir" type of guy for Stacey.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,142

Post#59 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:50 pm

Amin is super generic and isn’t even a basketball fan. Funk was hilarious and the homer we need. Actually I think Amin gets more actual calls wrong than half blind Neil
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,609

Post#60 » by Ice Man » Wed Nov 3, 2021 8:51 pm

I don't mind the schticks. What I do mind is when he feeds us analytical sludge, because he is a Chicago Bulls paid employee.

1) The team will take off now that it has great new coach. Said for every coach, including yes JIm Boylen.

2) Kris Dunn "the art of the mid-range jumper"

3) Denzel, Marquis, Tony Snell, oh you name it, they all will be really good NBA players once "they get their confidence." All the coach has to do is play them more and trust them.

And so forth. And so forth. Sorry, but I ain't that dumb. I must be the wrong target market.

Return to Chicago Bulls