Image ImageImage Image

Lonzo Ball discussion thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Re: Lonzo Ball discussion thread 

Post#221 » by CaPiTanAK » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:39 pm

dougthonus wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:Yeah he has only made good interior plays against the Lakers. Ugh. Let’s see who is right two years from now. You probably discredited Zach too.

Who knows what Lonzo might develop, but somethings that have been consistent throughout his career:
1: Low foul draw rate (never more than 2 FTA per game in his career) (below league average)
2: Low percentage of shots at the rim (22% for career, lower the two most recent years) (below league average)
3: Low completion percentage on those attempts (60% over last 3 years, 57% on career) (below league average)

If you think Lonzo might add some wrinkles to his game, absolutely. If you think he's going to be a Zach/DeMar or a primary creator that's really, really unlikely based on his his profile to date and beyond his profile to date, he's even moving away from that over the last two years and has moved towards becoming super role player rather than trying to become an alpha player.

His attitude is also one that doesn't seem like he wants to/needs to be that type either. He seems instead focused on doing the best for the team and has developed himself as superglue rather than trying to be the man even though he was originally viewed as that type of guy coming out of the draft.

It sounds crazy, but Lonzo has the potential to be an elite shot creator behind the three point line. He's only 24yo, and he's making about 42% of his three point attempts with about 7-8 attempts per game. That's an elite level.

He will never be an elite shot creator inside the paint, but there's nothing to prevent him from improving those flaws into league averages, in which all of these improvements allow him to unlock his potential playmaker ability.

I would just enjoy LB development at this point, and appreciate that he's doing it on our team.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,790

Post#222 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:46 pm

dougthonus wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:Yeah he has only made good interior plays against the Lakers. Ugh. Let’s see who is right two years from now. You probably discredited Zach too.

Who knows what Lonzo might develop, but somethings that have been consistent throughout his career:
1: Low foul draw rate (never more than 2 FTA per game in his career) (below league average)
2: Low percentage of shots at the rim (22% for career, lower the two most recent years) (below league average)
3: Low completion percentage on those attempts (60% over last 3 years, 57% on career) (below league average)

If you think Lonzo might add some wrinkles to his game, absolutely. If you think he's going to be a Zach/DeMar or a primary creator that's really, really unlikely based on his his profile to date and beyond his profile to date, he's even moving away from that over the last two years and has moved towards becoming super role player rather than trying to become an alpha player.

His attitude is also one that doesn't seem like he wants to/needs to be that type either. He seems instead focused on doing the best for the team and has developed himself as superglue rather than trying to be the man even though he was originally viewed as that type of guy coming out of the draft.

I don’t expect him to be the type to take over a game. I just think he will develop more skills as he matures. Some people acting like he is a finished product. He definitely isn’t.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,660

Post#223 » by sco » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:56 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

It sounds crazy, but Lonzo has the potential to be an elite shot creator behind the three point line. He's only 24yo, and he's making about 42% of his three point attempts with about 7-8 attempts per game. That's an elite level.

He will never be an elite shot creator inside the paint, but there's nothing to prevent him from improving those flaws into league averages, in which all of these improvements allow him to unlock his potential playmaker ability.

I would just enjoy LB development at this point, and appreciate that he's doing it on our team.

I'm with you. I just want him to stay healthy and continue doing what he does!

For what the league calls PG's (always debatable) Lonzo is:

28th in ppg
24th in assts
4th in 3's made and 3pt% and RB's ans STL's
1st in BLK's

The 1st 2 stats are key to PG's, but as a package, I he's definitely top 10, arguably top 5.
:clap:
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,520

Post#224 » by panthermark » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:59 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
panthermark wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
If the Lakers want Vuc and DJJ, I'm doing that deal. But I'm not trading packages that include Ball due to the injury concerns and the massive contract.

Then I trade Pat/Coby/TBJ for Myles Turner. Now we are cooking.

Ball/Ayo
Lavine/Caruso
Derozen/McKinnie
AD/Green
Turner/Bradley

But that's off topic.

Ball is awesome. Worth the money.

I love what Ball brings, and I'm not a huge AD fan.
But in a deal that involve Ball and Vuc....you do that deal in a heartbeat. Especially on a team that has Caruso, White, and Ayo already clamoring for backcourt minutes. A three headed monster of Zach, DD, and AD? A decent 3&D PF would push this team beyond the next level.

Yeah and he will be missing half the seasons. Pass. Probably more with our luck.

I really like what Zo is becoming, and I'm one of the few that has not jumped down Vuc's throat for his slow start....but every GM in the league takes that offer if it is on the table. I would not expect LA to offer it, but if they did (or were willing to accept it)...as much as it would suck to lose Zo, you have to make that trade.

Zo and Vuc for Davis actually works in the trade checker.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
CaPiTanAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 435

Post#225 » by CaPiTanAK » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:37 am

I don’t want Mr Glass AD
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,759

Post#226 » by dougthonus » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:41 pm

CaPiTanAK wrote:It sounds crazy, but Lonzo has the potential to be an elite shot creator behind the three point line. He's only 24yo, and he's making about 42% of his three point attempts with about 7-8 attempts per game. That's an elite level.

He doesn't really create behind the line now, and it's hard to see him become an elite creator behind the line without more of a threat to drive as that is usually required to generate enough space to create behind the line.

That said, he does have a very quick release on his shot now which would be the first step to getting off step backs or off the dribble threes, so it's not out of the question. I don't know that he has the mentality to play like James Harden though (nor do I know that I would want him to develop said mentality) as he doesn't seem like a guy who wants to pound the dribble much to try and create there. He looks to move the ball really quickly and keep the offense going.

Perhaps, like I said though, he seems to be developing away from that. It doesn't seem to be his focus.

Sure, I think Lonzo's great, he's about as high end as a role player as you're going to find in all ways at this point.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,316

Post#227 » by coldfish » Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:06 pm

I wouldn't touch AD at this point. The most important ability is availability. Beyond that, there are some flags showing up even when he is playing, like his 17.9% 3p shooting.

Return to Chicago Bulls