Image ImageImage Image

Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Michael Jackson, Payt10, dougthonus, kulaz3000, Tommy Udo 6 , Ice Man, DASMACKDOWN, fleet, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper

Most Disappointing Bull-vote for 1

1-Tyrus
19
28%
2-Lauri
7
10%
3-Carter
2
3%
4-JWill
16
24%
5-Boozer
1
1%
6-DRose
15
22%
7-Curry
4
6%
8-Chandler
0
No votes
9-Dougie
2
3%
10-Other (Mercer, BWallace, ERob, Niko, Porter, Tim Thomas, Fizer, Teague, Snell, Dunn-so many)
1
1%
 
Total votes: 67

pipfan
General Manager
Posts: 8,086
And1: 1,987
Joined: Aug 07, 2010

Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#1 » by pipfan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:03 pm

Sadly, my idea to go back to Sellers and SKing are not necessary-there are plenty to name just the last 20 years. Please vote for 1-which Bulls (for whatever reason) has been the most disappointing in the last 20 years?
GoBlue72391
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,825
And1: 2,196
Joined: Oct 26, 2009
     

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#2 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:20 pm

Rose has to be the only option, right? No one else comes close.

Sent from my SM-S115DL using RealGM Forums mobile app
iqureshi
Junior
Posts: 253
And1: 54
Joined: Feb 21, 2005
Contact:

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#3 » by iqureshi » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:48 pm

Maybe J will would've been here if he had a great year then got hurt, but his rookie year was kind of underwhelming (all rookie 2nd team). Otherwise It's hands down Rose. Nobody offered us his promise and potential then got destroyed by an injury most casual fans would assume you could recover from (see Lavine).
kodo
RealGM
Posts: 15,590
And1: 10,423
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Location: Northshore Burbs

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#4 » by kodo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:40 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:Rose has to be the only option, right? No one else comes close.


An MVP is a disappointing outcome compared to Tyrus who couldn't even start in the league? I'm not sure how Rose is even on the list, have all these other options won MVPs I never knew about?
User avatar
FriedRise
General Manager
Posts: 9,568
And1: 8,790
Joined: Jan 13, 2015
Location: Chicago
 

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#5 » by FriedRise » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:15 pm

Where Paul Zipser at?
ice9
Veteran
Posts: 2,961
And1: 112
Joined: Feb 22, 2006

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#6 » by ice9 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:32 pm

I have to go with Tyrus. I was all aboard the bandwagon after seeing him in the tournament, and the hope was he would turn into an Amare/Kemp/McDyess type PF. Not even close, despite the athleticism. Huge opportunity cost of passing up LMA too. If disappointment =expectations upon acquisition - performance, then no one else is close. Of course many people had low expectations for him, so he probably wasn't as big of a disappointment to that group.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk
GoBlue72391
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,825
And1: 2,196
Joined: Oct 26, 2009
     

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#7 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:35 pm

kodo wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:Rose has to be the only option, right? No one else comes close.


An MVP is a disappointing outcome compared to Tyrus who couldn't even start in the league? I'm not sure how Rose is even on the list, have all these other options won MVPs I never knew about?

He's disappointing because he was so good that had he not gotten injured he very likely would have led us to at least one championship. How can it possibly be any more disappointing than that?

Everyone else on this list would have peaked as mere all-stars had they reached their potential. Rose is the only MVP-caliber player on this list and the only one capable of leading a team to a championship, which is the entire point of the NBA.

You could make the argument to exclude players who suffered injuries since that's out of their control (except for Jay Williams), but if injured players are included then Rose is the obvious answer. Excluding injured players, I would say you could make a strong case for any of Boozer, Chandler/Curry, Lauri and Tyrus.

Boozer: I would say his disappointment had less to do with his performance and more to do with the fact that he wasn't LeBron, Wade or Bosh. We cleared all that cap space in the hopes of getting at least one of those guys, but we wound up with Boozer who, while an all-star with the Jazz, was clearly a tier or two below those other guys. His on-court performance was slightly disappointing, but overall he played about how I expected him too.

Chandler/Curry: Chandler was supposed to be the KG to Curry's Shaq, but I think both of those comparisons were way overly optimistic and based on poor scouting combined with the extreme difference in competition level between HS and the NBA (DeSagana Diop was another player from that same draft class who's scouting report was so comically off from the player he actually was). Chandler was initially expected to be a SF/PF/C who could handle and shoot like a guard while providing elite defense and rebounding. The latter part of that was dead on, but the shooting/handling/SF ability is up there with Darko Milicic in terms of **** that scouts just pulled out of their ass that had little-to-no basis in reality. Obviously had they turned out to be the next KG and Shaq we probably would have won multiple championships, but that was never a realistic outcome. Both of them should have been better than they were, especially Curry, but at least Chandler became a very good player later in his career.

Lauri: The next Dirk comparisons were pie-in-the-sky thinking, but I did/do think he has the talent and skillset to be a multi-time all-star, but that will probably never happen because he has a role player mindset.

Tyrus: Tyrus was supposed to be an Amare-like big, but he had an awful basketball IQ and was obsessed with pretending to be a wing instead and was addicted to shooting long twos. He could have been a great running mate with Rose for many years if he had panned out.
User avatar
The Evidence
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,968
And1: 1,562
Joined: Dec 07, 2004

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#8 » by The Evidence » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:37 pm

Not counting obvious injuries, I'll go with:

Curry
Chandler
Deng

based on the amount of hype and pre-draft expectations.

But in some ways, Curry was always mentally and physically injured via his weak heart and lack of love for the game.

Deng's wrist injury haunted him throughout his career (which I never understood at the time. He was projected to be a perennial all-star / superstar).

So that pretty much leaves Chandler as the only real disappointment.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,816
And1: 406
Joined: Jul 23, 2004
 

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#9 » by Dieselbound&Down » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:36 pm

My order of those listed:
Rose
Lauri
JWill

Rose - great what might have been but the franchise would have been better if he simply retired than hung out for 5 years before moving on. I don't recall seeing another athlete have the same issues recovering from a common injury. The constant sniping and potshots by his crew towards management were a constant distraction as well.

Lauri - more disappointing despite being ok. disappointed he couldn't put it together despite no clear major defects in his on-court abilities. underwhelming


I think Mirotic should be 2nd. He just never seemed to fit in or have the necessary confidence. Played much better after he left then really elevated when he went back home. He clearly had the ability but was just a bad fit with the staff and teams he was put on.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
Posts: 12,105
And1: 3,334
Joined: May 05, 2001

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#10 » by Ctownbulls » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:42 pm

Ben Wallace.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
Posts: 12,105
And1: 3,334
Joined: May 05, 2001

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#11 » by Ctownbulls » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:43 pm

Rip Hamilton also should be considered.
weneeda2guard
General Manager
Posts: 8,304
And1: 3,665
Joined: Feb 07, 2011

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#12 » by weneeda2guard » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:04 pm

Maybe a clear definition of "disappointing " needs to be established.

Because I'm thinking we're basing this on potential what was given up for these players and then outcomes. Rose delivered a mvp season best record in the league 2 years in a row, rookie of the year campaign, a classic 7 game series vs the Celtics a 2nd rd showing in 2015. He simply got injured that was out of his control.

Most disappointing is trading a guy like LaMarcus Aldridge who went on to have multiple all star seasons for tyrus Thomas who didn't belong in the league. Disappointing is trading 2 picks that could have greatly filled out a contending roster and helped rose and butler, passing on a Zach lavine and taking Doug McDermott who did nothing for our team.

I can't be disappointed in the rose era because if we are being honest garpax always surrounded rose with a mediocre roster good enough to lose to the heat every year. Garpax didn't have the cache to create the kind of firepower that could take down lebron wade and bosh simply a good regular season team that would get exposed every post season because garpax couldn't land the quality guys to fit next to rose and Noah and deng only guys on their way out the league. It was a miracle we made the ecf with rose as our lone shot creator. That is not disappointing.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
User avatar
Axl Rose
Head Coach
Posts: 6,160
And1: 3,447
Joined: Jul 03, 2013
Location: Superunknown

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#13 » by Axl Rose » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:42 pm

Niko and Lauri tie. I remember Niko was like our secret weapon, a guy that was supposed to be big for the future of the team. Lauri showed so much promise in his first year but never progressed beyond that.

Jay Williams is also a good one but new management quickly turned the team around with Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Nocioni and that took the sting away from that a bit.

Rose i guess ended up being disappointing because of the hope he gave the team/city that was abruptly cut short. But i feel wrong saying him. He did give us some great years and memorable moments.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
User avatar
Kurt Heimlich
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,570
And1: 4,312
Joined: Jun 26, 2001

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#14 » by Kurt Heimlich » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:49 pm

If the disappointment is measured via excitement for the pick relative to what they went on to produce the only answer is jwill.

If the measurement is relative to the players peak and what happened from there then I get the drose folks. But considering how good derrick was for us that disclosure feels necessary bc otherwise it just comes off as silly or perhaps trying to re-emphasize the "tragic" nature of his fall.
User avatar
bearadonisdna
RealGM
Posts: 14,219
And1: 2,825
Joined: Jul 07, 2012

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#15 » by bearadonisdna » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:26 pm

Went with Lauri .
The guy was supposed to be about as good as Zach .
It was suppose to be the Mark-8 offense.

Lol rose wins here but a vote for rose was for that particular front office . He could have came back on schedule if the bulls used to the Charlotte pick to bolster the roster .

They didn’t , he didn’t return to finish rehab . His knee and body became atrophied and the then high risk for injury .
kodo
RealGM
Posts: 15,590
And1: 10,423
Joined: Oct 10, 2006
Location: Northshore Burbs

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#16 » by kodo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:02 pm

GoBlue72391 wrote:
kodo wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:Rose has to be the only option, right? No one else comes close.


An MVP is a disappointing outcome compared to Tyrus who couldn't even start in the league? I'm not sure how Rose is even on the list, have all these other options won MVPs I never knew about?

He's disappointing because he was so good that had he not gotten injured he very likely would have led us to at least one championship. How can it possibly be any more disappointing than that?

Everyone else on this list would have peaked as mere all-stars had they reached their potential. Rose is the only MVP-caliber player on this list and the only one capable of leading a team to a championship, which is the entire point of the NBA.


There should be nothing disappointing about Rose because nobody should have expected him to be an MVP or lead us to a championship.

This is like hiring a kid out of college as an intern, and he goes on to make your company $100M over the next 5 years. And then due to health issues, he has to stop working and your company no longer makes that kind money and goes back to normal.

I can't fathom calling that kid a "disappointment" because most interns do nothing for company success except for some low level tasks. And your company is no worse off than before you hired that kid.

Rose brought an MVP, All-Star games, 60 win season, and years of great Bulls basketball. Tyrus, Lauri, etc.. brought the Bulls nothing except wasted seasons.

Rose greatly exceeded all expectations, which is the opposite of disappointing. One of the best Bulls to wear the uniform, regardless of how long his career lasted.
jnrjr79
Veteran
Posts: 2,688
And1: 1,246
Joined: May 27, 2003
Location: Chicago

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#17 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:11 pm

I voted Jay Williams.

I certainly understand the Rose argument - you had an MVP on your roster and it looked like a title was on the way, then *poof*. But I feel more disappointment about the Jay Williams thing, because it wasn't just an on-the-court injury like Rose, but instead a totally avoidable thing resulting from acting like a jackass.
GoBlue72391
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,825
And1: 2,196
Joined: Oct 26, 2009
     

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#18 » by GoBlue72391 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:53 pm

kodo wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:
kodo wrote:
An MVP is a disappointing outcome compared to Tyrus who couldn't even start in the league? I'm not sure how Rose is even on the list, have all these other options won MVPs I never knew about?

He's disappointing because he was so good that had he not gotten injured he very likely would have led us to at least one championship. How can it possibly be any more disappointing than that?

Everyone else on this list would have peaked as mere all-stars had they reached their potential. Rose is the only MVP-caliber player on this list and the only one capable of leading a team to a championship, which is the entire point of the NBA.


There should be nothing disappointing about Rose because nobody should have expected him to be an MVP or lead us to a championship.

I know there was a lot of "Rose or Beasley?" discussion prior to the draft, but I don't think you're grasping the type of prospect Rose actually was when he entered the league. He wasn't a run-of-the-mill 1st overall pick, he was one of those generational, franchise-altering talents and had all of the pressure and expectations that come with that. Doubly so for being a hometown kid.

Over the past 20 years, I would say the only 1st overall picks who were on the same tier as Rose in terms of expectations were LeBron, Wiggins and Zion. Leading the Bulls to a championship was always the goal and expectation from the moment he was drafted, and it wouldn't have been at all surprising if he picked up an MVP or two along the way as well. Obviously no one expected him to win MVP and make his team a contender as soon as he did, which if anything makes his career even more disappointing.

How can you say "There should be nothing disappointing" about the 1st overall pick, rookie of the year and youngest MVP in league history never even reaching his prime? He had what, 3 and a half seasons as a major impact player? Most players don't hit their prime until their mid-late 20s, and he had already won MVP and led his team to the best record in the league twice as well as an ECF appearance by age 24.

This is like hiring a kid out of college as an intern, and he goes on to make your company $100M over the next 5 years. And then due to health issues, he has to stop working and your company no longer makes that kind money and goes back to normal.

Comparing the 1st overall pick and rookie of the year to some random college intern? That's a terrible comparison. You're looking at it from an emotional perspective rather than a logical one. I'm obviously not blaming Rose for suffering those injuries. It wasn't his fault and it could have happened to anyone. It was just awful luck, but the fact is that it happened and it permanently altered the career of a player who could have realistically gone on to be one of the best PGs of all time.

I can't fathom calling that kid a "disappointment" because most interns do nothing for company success except for some low level tasks. And your company is no worse off than before you hired that kid.

Again, this comparison is terrible. Most 1st overall picks go on to become major impact players, even if not to the same extent that Rose was and was likely to continue to be. How on earth was the team no worse off than before him? They went from a championship contender with pre-injury Rose to a good but not a contender team after his injuries. That's a massive effect.

Rose brought an MVP, All-Star games, 60 win season, and years of great Bulls basketball. Tyrus, Lauri, etc.. brought the Bulls nothing except wasted seasons.

Yes, exactly. That's what makes his career so disappointing. It started off with the potential to be the 2nd greatest Bull of all time and ended as a guy who might not even get his number retired, might not even make the hall of fame.

Rose greatly exceeded all expectations, which is the opposite of disappointing. One of the best Bulls to wear the uniform, regardless of how long his career lasted.

So him being robbed of his prime and transitioning to a supporting player before the age of 25 is not, in any way, disappointing to you??? That's absolutely mind-boggling to me. Though no fault of his own, Rose is one of the most disappointing, heartbreaking careers in league history, let alone among Bulls over the past 20 years.

I think you're hung up on the word "disappointing" and misconstruing it as an insult when it's not intended in that way at all.
User avatar
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
Posts: 6,305
And1: 356
Joined: Jun 25, 2006

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#19 » by Mr. Tibbs » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:00 am

This is a real tough one. I think given my hopes, it'd probably be the Chandler/Curry duo. I mean I rode my bike to the nearest store just to buy a copy of them on the cover of ESPN magazine. I bought the Baby Shaq/KG hype hook line and sinker.

Williams was close but that was just so tragic. Rose at least gave us a taste and I look back on his time fondly even if it still hurts.
Tyrus I was able to make peace with once we got Rose but as people mentioned, watching Aldridge have such a good long career made it a disappointment we had to keep rehashing.

In terms of a player I disliked the most, it was probably Wallace. At some point in his tenure it became clear he was hurting more than helping despite being the highest paid player.
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
User avatar
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 64,458
And1: 27,933
Joined: Nov 25, 2003
Location: On my high horse.
     

Re: Now With a Poll-Most Disappointing Bull of last 20 Years 

Post#20 » by DuckIII » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:15 am

kodo wrote:
GoBlue72391 wrote:Rose has to be the only option, right? No one else comes close.


An MVP is a disappointing outcome compared to Tyrus who couldn't even start in the league? I'm not sure how Rose is even on the list, have all these other options won MVPs I never knew about?


You know why.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Return to Chicago Bulls