Image ImageImage Image

Bears talk 3.0: Regime & team changes are sorely needed & upon us

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

What do you think happens this Bears off season?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:20 pm

Phillips, Pace, & Nagy go & major roster upheaval
56%
Only Pace & Nagy are replaced & major roster upheaval
26%
Only Nagy goes & we have major roster upheaval
15%
Other - Specify in post like option 1 but minor retool
3%

Total votes: 39

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,410

Re: Bears talk 3.0: Regime & team changes are sorely needed & upon us 

Post#1801 » by fleet » Mon May 9, 2022 10:57 pm

Dresden wrote:
fleet wrote:

Looks the part as far as raw tools to work with as a receiver. He's ‘sudden’. Hands catcher on short routes. If he can refine his route tree and expand it. Stop rounding things off, he should eventually ‘give Fields some help’ from the slot. Just not right away as the security blanket he needs. He’s going to get open deep, and from everything I have read, he should be able to catch the ball if Fields puts it on him.

I like the adjustment he made on that deep ball to haul it in.

There was another YouTube where he made a move in the end zone and tracked a ball down across the field. Maybe he has that. More than one highlight where he overpowers DBs too.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 740

Post#1802 » by Hold That » Tue May 10, 2022 1:15 am

I view Velus as our poor man’s Deebo Samuels.. he’s compact and fast enough to run out the back field, and line up anywhere on the field from x-receiver to slot..
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1804 » by fleet » Tue May 10, 2022 5:52 pm

Drafting Pickens and Jones would have pleased Orlovsky. Suddenly the offense has weapons at every position. But then again, we don’t have a deep secondary, and Pickens is apparently a turd. Its a hot take by Orlovsky. But we won’t know the right answer for years. However, Ryan Poles should never regret following his draft board. A GM doesn’t ever have to second guess himself when he stays true to that.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,607
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#1805 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Tue May 10, 2022 6:16 pm

There's nothing more deflating than having our secondary get torched for 50 yard TD's multiple times per game. I would love to get JF more weapons, but I'm definitely not upset that we're investing in our DB's.

I'm fine with letting JF develop some more this season, but this time with a decent defense and run game. We'll have plenty of cap room to add a big name WR next offseason.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,898

Post#1806 » by biggestbullsfan » Tue May 10, 2022 8:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Welp
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,875

Post#1807 » by Dresden » Tue May 10, 2022 11:46 pm

mlitney01 wrote:There's nothing more deflating than having our secondary get torched for 50 yard TD's multiple times per game. I would love to get JF more weapons, but I'm definitely not upset that we're investing in our DB's.

I'm fine with letting JF develop some more this season, but this time with a decent defense and run game. We'll have plenty of cap room to add a big name WR next offseason.

Yeah, and while it definitely helps to have someone like Tyreke Hill or Devonta Adams to throw to, I also believe that if you give the QB enough time to throw (i.e., have a good O line), he can make do with average NFL receivers, and sometimes turn them into great ones. Whereas if your QB is running for his life each time he drops back, it doesn't matter if he's got Jerry Rice running routes, he's not going to be successful.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM

Post#1808 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed May 11, 2022 3:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst

Post#1809 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed May 11, 2022 4:36 pm

biggestbullsfan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He's got less than 300 years receiving in the NFL over 4 years so this seems like a bit of a nothing burger at this point. Maybe he makes the roster though. I guess it doesn't hurt to kick the tires on every option.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1810 » by fleet » Wed May 11, 2022 4:39 pm

I don’t think the Bears have the money to sign guys like OBJ, Jones, and Landry etc. Hell, they need a left tackle. Despite the media hype, Borum wasn’t ever ready to play left tackle. And it would be irresponsible to assume so by Poles.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,406

Post#1811 » by jnrjr79 » Wed May 11, 2022 4:51 pm

fleet wrote:I don’t think the Bears have the money to sign guys like OBJ, Jones, and Landry etc. Hell, they need a left tackle. Despite the media hype, Borum wasn’t ever ready to play left tackle. And it would be irresponsible to assume so by Poles.

It sure seems a lot more likely that the Bears address RG than LT. I think Poles will be given a break on evaluating whether last year's picks are viable tackle options. I'd be fine if they wanted to bring Peters back for another one-year deal, though, for insurance purposes.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#1812 » by Susan » Wed May 11, 2022 6:09 pm

Look at SF's roster the year they made it to the SB.

This roster is hyper talented running the ball. The past regime were allergic to that element and put too much on their QBs and failed miserably.

Nobody is saying this offense is fixed but Nagy and Co were grade A morons.
biggestbullsfan
RealGM

Post#1813 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed May 11, 2022 9:30 pm

Read on Twitter

He worked well with Justin. I was hoping for his return.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#1814 » by Tetlak » Wed May 11, 2022 10:02 pm

Damn, Jesper was actually good, but at least we have TE depth. I hope he gets an actual opportunity at some point
biggestbullsfan
RealGM

Post#1815 » by biggestbullsfan » Wed May 11, 2022 11:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Why does he have to rap :lol:
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst

Post#1816 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Thu May 12, 2022 12:00 am

Apparently we also just signed the worst QB in the history of the NFL. Lol
Susan
RealGM

Post#1817 » by Susan » Thu May 12, 2022 3:11 am

mlitney01 wrote:Apparently we also just signed the worst QB in the history of the NFL. Lol

Got Dante Pettis as well.

The room has some more NFL level depth now.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1818 » by fleet » Thu May 12, 2022 2:45 pm

I think Larry Ogunchobi derailed the one and only plan to be relevant via free agency. Maybe they had more significant follow up moves in mind. But now they are truly in neutral, and not making any moves that will cut into 2023 season or beyond
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1819 » by fleet » Thu May 12, 2022 2:52 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
fleet wrote:I don’t think the Bears have the money to sign guys like OBJ, Jones, and Landry etc. Hell, they need a left tackle. Despite the media hype, Borum wasn’t ever ready to play left tackle. And it would be irresponsible to assume so by Poles.

It sure seems a lot more likely that the Bears address RG than LT. I think Poles will be given a break on evaluating whether last year's picks are viable tackle options. I'd be fine if they wanted to bring Peters back for another one-year deal, though, for insurance purposes.

It’s not being talked about, but going into the season protecting your franchise quarterback with 2 5th rounders at left tackle, one of whom is a rookie, the other coming off a pretty unremarkable rookie season is very iffy imo. I’d be signing a vet LT, and sticking Borum at RG.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1820 » by Susan » Thu May 12, 2022 3:28 pm

fleet wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

It’s not being talked about, but going into the season protecting your franchise quarterback with 2 5th rounders at left tackle, one of whom is a rookie, the other coming off a pretty unremarkable rookie season is very iffy imo. I’d be signing a vet LT, and sticking Borum at RG.

Borom was a nice surprise last year, it would be in the Bears best interest to develop him rather than try and sign a LT for a potential short term gain in 2022.

They're supporting Fields by getting him away from Nagy, utilizing Montgomery/Herbert and incorporating play action and boot rollouts (a staple of the Shanahon offense).

Poles has my benefit of the doubt with regards to the Oline.

Return to Chicago Bulls