Image ImageImage Image

2022 Free Agent Discussion

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Re: 2022 Free Agent Discussion 

Post#21 » by PlayerUp » Tue Apr 5, 2022 11:46 am

AKME were interested in Mitchell Robinson at trade deadline.

I am under the assumption that is who they try to target and facilitate a sign-and-trade.

Read on Twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#22 » by sco » Tue Apr 5, 2022 1:02 pm

PlayerUp wrote:AKME were interested in Mitchell Robinson at trade deadline.

I am under the assumption that is who they try to target and facilitate a sign-and-trade.

Read on Twitter

I wonder what he'll cost salary and trade-wise? He's a great rebounder shot blocker, but he's a 50% ft shooter and can't give you 30 good minutes a game.
:clap:
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,047

Post#23 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Apr 5, 2022 1:10 pm

Run it back, with everybody healthy.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,538

Post#24 » by DuckIII » Tue Apr 5, 2022 1:27 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Assuming they keep the big 3 (not something I think they should do), I love the idea of adding Covington and getting Mitch Robinson in a sign and trade for Coby White. Then draft a project wing like like Christie or Dyson Daniels.

Ball/Ayo
Lavine/Caruso
Derozen/Dyson
Patrick Wil/Covington
Vucevic/Mitch

Defense is the problem, and that helps. If defense continues to be an issue, flip Vuc for a really good bench scorer + pick and I like the team better.

I like this idea a lot both specifically and generally. In my mind, barring a major consolidation trade which I do not anticipate to see this summer, the approach is make smaller moves for role players to shore up interior defense/athleticism and shooting. Small-for-big trades, free agency and a top 20 pick can be used in combination to accomplish this.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by DuckIII » Tue Apr 5, 2022 1:28 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:Run it back, with everybody healthy.

This roster has major holes.
sco
RealGM

Post#26 » by sco » Tue Apr 5, 2022 1:54 pm

DuckIII wrote:

IDK, IMO we are very good PF and better backup C plus healthy roster away from contending. The question is whether we can turn one of our "excess" guards, our pick and the MLE into them?

The key is obviously a healthy roster coupled with a big (but not impossibly large) step forward by Pat. Add improvements from Ayo and Coby, plus a MLE signing of a guy like Covington or Boucher, plus getting lucky on our pick on a guy like Cockburn. That is a "run it back" strategy that could get us there.
PJSteven22
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#27 » by PJSteven22 » Tue Apr 5, 2022 2:38 pm

Bad Idea. It would be the 2016 Bulls all over again.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#28 » by Tetlak » Tue Apr 5, 2022 2:41 pm

We very obviously need more shooting. Coby, Zach, and Lonzo are the only shooters on the team. Everyone else does some combination of passing up shots/bricking.
sco
RealGM

Post#29 » by sco » Tue Apr 5, 2022 2:46 pm

Tetlak wrote:We very obviously need more shooting. Coby, Zach, and Lonzo are the only shooters on the team. Everyone else does some combination of passing up shots/bricking.

IDK. A team with a healthy Ball and a more developed Williams and Ayo next season could look very different. That said, a Mclemore or Matthews would be great adds if cheap.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by DuckIII » Tue Apr 5, 2022 3:09 pm

sco wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

IDK, IMO we are very good PF and better backup C plus healthy roster away from contending. The question is whether we can turn one of our "excess" guards, our pick and the MLE into them?

The key is obviously a healthy roster coupled with a big (but not impossibly large) step forward by Pat. Add improvements from Ayo and Coby, plus a MLE signing of a guy like Covington or Boucher, plus getting lucky on our pick on a guy like Cockburn. That is a "run it back" strategy that could get us there.

Yeah, I read “run it back” too literally. I agree, and actually advocate (already in this thread :lol: ) for, a series of smaller moves to shore things up and then see what it looks like with an eye towards the February deadline.

With the always-caveat that if something big comes along then you go for it if it makes a lot of sense.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,216

Post#31 » by coldfish » Tue Apr 5, 2022 3:33 pm

If Zach gets the max, the team is going to be very close to the lux tax line. It will be interesting to see if the team pays it.

If they don't, its pretty much going to be:
Ball / Ayo
Lavine / Coby
Derozan /Caruso
Patrick / Javonte
Vucevic / Bradley / Simonovic
+ draft pick and a few vet min guys

You might get some movement where they trade Coby and use the MLE or part of it to balance the roster.
sco
RealGM

Post#32 » by sco » Tue Apr 5, 2022 4:10 pm

coldfish wrote:If Zach gets the max, the team is going to be very close to the lux tax line. It will be interesting to see if the team pays it.

Ball / Ayo
Lavine / Coby
Derozan /Caruso
Patrick / Javonte

You might get some movement where they trade Coby and use the MLE or part of it to balance the roster.

I wonder what DJJ is gonna fetch in FA? I still think a PF pairing of him and Pat is pretty good.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#33 » by MGB8 » Tue Apr 5, 2022 4:40 pm

If the goal is to take a shot at a title while DeMar is on his A game (pre-significant decline), and during LaVine's prime, then there needs to be a serious shake-up around them.

That means an approach that is less about free agents, and more about moving Vuc to make room for a better defensive center - whether it's Mitch Robinson (where Vuc might be moved for other pieces rather than Mitch, though likely for "a loss" as compared to the capital spent to acquire him), or trying to land Ayton in a sign and trade.

In the interim, I still really like Isaiah Roby as a developmental "combo forward" to stagger with Pat Williams.

But I don't know that a team built around Zach and DeMar as the two best offensive players can ever really be a top-line contender. Puncher's chance, maybe. But unless DD goes more consistently DeJordan and Zach consistently looks like he did at the beginning of the season as opposed to the 2nd half... And even then, with Giannis, Irving/Durant, Embiid/Harden... and with the real possibility that Garland/Mobley are themselves a "transcendent" duo, that Scottie Barnes is such a player surrounded by strong and young talents in OG, Siakam, FVV, Trent... and also LaMelo in Charlotte, the Atlanta group, the Boston group...

I mean, (beside from injury impacts) was that all Lonzo? Is Lonzo Ball really *that* impactful? I have serious doubts, but maybe?
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,899

Post#34 » by meekrab » Tue Apr 5, 2022 4:55 pm

sco wrote:
coldfish wrote:If Zach gets the max, the team is going to be very close to the lux tax line. It will be interesting to see if the team pays it.

Ball / Ayo
Lavine / Coby
Derozan /Caruso
Patrick / Javonte

I wonder what DJJ is gonna fetch in FA? I still think a PF pairing of him and Pat is pretty good.

I would be surprised if DJJ gets any more than the vet minimum. He's riding the pine for a team that's struggling badly, that isn't a good sign.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#35 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Apr 5, 2022 5:10 pm

MGB8 wrote:If the goal is to take a shot at a title while DeMar is on his A game (pre-significant decline), and during LaVine's prime, then there needs to be a serious shake-up around them.

That means an approach that is less about free agents, and more about moving Vuc to make room for a better defensive center - whether it's Mitch Robinson (where Vuc might be moved for other pieces rather than Mitch, though likely for "a loss" as compared to the capital spent to acquire him), or trying to land Ayton in a sign and trade.

In the interim, I still really like Isaiah Roby as a developmental "combo forward" to stagger with Pat Williams.

But I don't know that a team built around Zach and DeMar as the two best offensive players can ever really be a top-line contender. Puncher's chance, maybe. But unless DD goes more consistently DeJordan and Zach consistently looks like he did at the beginning of the season as opposed to the 2nd half... And even then, with Giannis, Irving/Durant, Embiid/Harden... and with the real possibility that Garland/Mobley are themselves a "transcendent" duo, that Scottie Barnes is such a player surrounded by strong and young talents in OG, Siakam, FVV, Trent... and also LaMelo in Charlotte, the Atlanta group, the Boston group...

I mean, (beside from injury impacts) was that all Lonzo? Is Lonzo Ball really *that* impactful? I have serious doubts, but maybe?

If the Bulls are going to flip Vooch to get a more defensive-oriented center (which I think is probably a good idea), shouldn't we be talking about Rudy Gobert? I have a hard time gauging how valuable Gobert is as an asset given his contract has an AAV north of $40 million, but that should make it easier for the Bulls to acquire him.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,938
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#36 » by MalagaBulls » Tue Apr 5, 2022 5:19 pm

sco wrote:
Tetlak wrote:We very obviously need more shooting. Coby, Zach, and Lonzo are the only shooters on the team. Everyone else does some combination of passing up shots/bricking.

IDK. A team with a healthy Ball and a more developed Williams and Ayo next season could look very different. That said, a Mclemore or Matthews would be great adds if cheap.
I've been a bit of an idiot on my hot takes but really you mention an X factor I alluded to in the trade thread.
Ayo & PWill improving their 3 pt volume & % would go a long qay.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,899

Post#37 » by meekrab » Tue Apr 5, 2022 5:35 pm

Volume definitely needs to increase, but it's not really reasonable to expect much of a percentage improvement, since they're already quite good: Ayo 37%, Patrick 40% career. Partly that's because they only shoot it when they're wide open or the shot clock is expiring.
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,075
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#38 » by Clint Eastwood » Tue Apr 5, 2022 6:16 pm

I would do whatever it takes to bring Jusuf Nurkic back home.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#39 » by PlayerUp » Tue Apr 5, 2022 7:42 pm

Ball / Ayo
Lavine / Coby
Derozan /Caruso
Patrick / Javonte

Won't be paying luxury tax for long though. New TV deal kicks in 2025 and that puts us well under the tax line. Bulls should spend if they're serious about transforming this organization. This is a put up or shut up offseason for Michael Reinsdorf to show fans things will be changing.
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#40 » by PlayerUp » Tue Apr 5, 2022 7:43 pm

Focus in offseason needs to be:

- Shooters
- Defensive frontcourt

Fix those issues, then try again.

Assuming no stars available, small changes could make a major difference to this team:

- Replacing Green/DJJ with a 3&D wing
- Adding an actual defensive 4/5 who can hit the 3
- Getting a tall elite defensive anchor

We need as much spacing as possible for DeMar to perform well as elite teams are simply doubling him which won't be possible if we have shooters at all spots.

Theis TPE, Taxpayer MLE should be enough to fill in a couple of these spots. The rest needs to be done through trades.

Return to Chicago Bulls