Image ImageImage Image

"Buy Low" options

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,239

Re: "Buy Low" options 

Post#21 » by Dan Z » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:40 am

HomoSapien wrote:Jalen Smith is an unrestricted FA and tore it up whenever he got PT. I can't imagine that he'd be too many teams' first target, so if you go aggressive early I think you'd have a good shot at him.

Montrezl always seems to have trouble finding a good payday. Hir reputation has suffered, but I loved him when he was on the Clippers. I also thought Aldridge looked good this season and was surprised the Nets completely abandoned him in the playoffs. He'd be an upgrade over TT. So would Robin Lopez.

I've suggesed Jalen Smith before, but I don't think the Bulls will have enough money to sign him.
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#22 » by MikeDC » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:12 pm

sco wrote:
MikeDC wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:Victor Oladipo

I thought about him too, but I gotta figure he's dialed in to the Heat. They basically took him in and nursed him back to seeming health. No way he's just going to take off.

Whenever you talk about doing things "the right way", you're probably a poseur if you're not pointing at the heat. They get guys to play to the absolute maximum of their potential. I've noticed a trend over the years that when those guys go elsewhere, the results are usually not very good

Dipo makes Ball look like an iron man.

Yeah, except Dipo is on a one-year minimum contract and Ball is on the front end of a 4yr/$100M deal.

That changes up the risk factors pretty substantially
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#23 » by PlayerUp » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:16 pm

MikeDC wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:Victor Oladipo

I thought about him too, but I gotta figure he's dialed in to the Heat. They basically took him in and nursed him back to seeming health. No way he's just going to take off.

Whenever you talk about doing things "the right way", you're probably a poseur if you're not pointing at the heat. They get guys to play to the absolute maximum of their potential. I've noticed a trend over the years that when those guys go elsewhere, the results are usually not very good

Right but it depends what Miami is willing to offer. He's only 29 and he is easily worth the MLE.
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#24 » by PlayerUp » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:17 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:Dipo is one

Azubuike or Whiteside (whichever Utah moves on from) (could maybe include Gobert here as well?)

Jock Landale intrigues me too as a bargain bin option

I think Sam Merrill could maybe fill a Seth Curry role.

And then the Zion/Isaac group who are probably unavailable but are worth asking about because of the injury issues.

Hardest of passes on Simmons.

Jonathan Isaac is a good option. Magic maybe just wanting to move on who knows. Obviously if Zion can be had you take a risk.

We really need to strike gold with one of these players that blow up here for us to elevate ourselves further. Have to take some risks here.
Bullflip
Assistant Coach
And1: 847

Post#25 » by Bullflip » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:21 pm

PlayerUp wrote:

Azubuike or Whiteside (whichever Utah moves on from) (could maybe include Gobert here as well?)

And then the Zion/Isaac group who are probably unavailable but are worth asking about because of the injury issues.

Jonathan Isaac is a good option. Magic maybe just wanting to move on who knows. Obviously if Zion can be had you take a risk.

We really need to strike gold with one of these players that blow up here for us to elevate ourselves further. Have to take some risks here.

Yea the Bulls have to take a risk to get to the next level. Otherwise, they will just be a treadmill playoff team whose ceiling is the second round in the playoffs.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Post#26 » by sco » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:22 pm

PlayerUp wrote:

I'd do Isaac except he's on a deal for 3 more years at $17M+.
:clap:
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,381

Post#27 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:02 pm

Isaac in theory fits what we need and has experience playing alongside Vuc.

I kind of don't like the guy, but basketball-wise he's a fit.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#28 » by HomoSapien » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:29 pm

Chris Boucher is an unrestricted free-agent and checks a lot of boxes (shot-blocker, shooter, scorer).

Anyone know much about Damian Jones? I don't know much about him but his numbers are interesting.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
mtron32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,997

Post#29 » by mtron32 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:38 pm

MGB8 wrote:
PJSteven22 wrote:Mo Bamba has finally showed life. Thin big men can take a while to develop. I think we’ll get a better idea for who’s available in June.

Mo Bamba is interesting, especially the outside shot.

I'm actually warming to the notion of Porzingis
, assuming that he could be had for reasonably little. Washington traded a disgruntled Dinwiddie and bad salary in Bertans for Porzingis and I think also got back a 2nd rounder....? That's a lot of salary on the books the next couple of years, versus, say, an expiring Vuc and Coby White (works on tradecheker).

Significant downgrade in rebounding, but upgrade in consistent outside shooting and rim defense on a drop. Of course, there's health... but crazily Porzingis is only turning 27 in August... he's not at the point where healing becomes so much harder...

No more soft perimeter big men on this roster.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,381

Post#30 » by drosestruts » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:03 pm

I think the Bulls and Thaddeus Young are headed towards a reunion, just a feeling I have.

I think our very own Derrick Jones Jr. sort of qualifies. Good defender, athletic, 3-point shot was looking better at the end of the year. Don't think we gave him enough minutes here.

Danuel House - when the Rockets released him I was interested. Good shooter.

Biyombo played really well at times for the Suns this year. That could be an effect of playing with such talented teammates, but I'd welcome him here. He's a huge luxury on a Phoenix team that already has Ayton, McGee, and Kaminsky

Shooters that offer little besides shooting: Bryn Forbes, Wayne Ellington, Tony Snell
PJSteven22
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#31 » by PJSteven22 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:15 pm

MikeDC wrote:
sco wrote:
MikeDC wrote:

Dipo makes Ball look like an iron man.

Yeah, except Dipo is on a one-year minimum contract and Ball is on the front end of a 4yr/$100M deal.

That changes up the risk factors pretty substantially

80 million
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#32 » by PlayerUp » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:16 pm

This should be a buy low high reward options. People are listing buy low options like Tony Snell who are minimum players that wont do anything other than play reserve minutes. There are 200+ of these players available.

Specifically we need players like Victor Oladipo who has a minimum contract right now but could return to his glory days of 17+ PPG on good defense on a cheap contract. That's what I consider a buy low option and there are 50 other lesser players out there we can also target.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,239

Post#33 » by Dan Z » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:48 pm

drosestruts wrote:I think the Bulls and Thaddeus Young are headed towards a reunion, just a feeling I have.

I think our very own Derrick Jones Jr. sort of qualifies. Good defender, athletic, 3-point shot was looking better at the end of the year. Don't think we gave him enough minutes here.

Danuel House - when the Rockets released him I was interested. Good shooter.

Biyombo played really well at times for the Suns this year. That could be an effect of playing with such talented teammates, but I'd welcome him here. He's a huge luxury on a Phoenix team that already has Ayton, McGee, and Kaminsky

Shooters that offer little besides shooting: Bryn Forbes, Wayne Ellington, Tony Snell

Biyombo is someone that I wanted the Bulls to pick up during the season. Depending on other moves, and the cost, I'd be into the Bulls signing him.

They should just move on from DDJ.

Thad Young is interesting. I don't really think of him as a shooter, but he'd defend, rebound and pass. How would he look next to Vuc?
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,604

Post#34 » by Ice Man » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:15 pm

PlayerUp wrote:Specifically we need players like Victor Oladipo who has a minimum contract right now but could return to his glory days of 17+ PPG on good defense on a cheap contract. That's what I consider a buy low option and there are 50 other lesser players out there we can also target.

The trouble with Dipo is that next year the Bulls will already be spending 60% of their salary on guards. And that's not counting DeMar, who would be our shooting guard if we had a small forward.

Return to Chicago Bulls