Image ImageImage Image

Bulls Biggest Need this Off-season: 3 and D players OR big man who can rebound and defend?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

What’s the biggest need for the Bulls this off-season?

3 and D players
40%
Big Man who can rebound and defend
52%
Other
7%

Total votes: 67

MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Re: Bulls Biggest Need this Off-season: 3 and D players OR big man who can rebound and defend? 

Post#61 » by MikeDC » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:32 pm

dougthonus wrote:
MikeDC wrote:
  • You said, essentially, "we can't do anything about it, so therefore mediocre players X, Y and Z are good". Especially in the context of a whole offseason, that's clearly incorrect. Whether we should prioritize upgrading from X, Y, and Z is a discussion to have.
  • I am saying, essentially, "we can't do anything about the fact that players X, Y, and Z are all bad, but we should absolutely choose the least bad between X, Y and Z". Especially in the context of a limited situation in which we can't go out and replace personnel. That's a correct statement.
  • They are absolutely not equivalent statements.

That sure doesn't sound like what I'm saying to me or what you are saying. I don't think the guys I named who are 3&D players are bad, in fact, as I pointed out, I think they are significantly better than what you can bring in with our assets and also significantly better than the typical role players teams have in the 4-8 spots.

I literally said you think our mediocre 3+D guys are good. You're wrong (they're mediocre), but I'm not mis-stating what you said.

Regarding the rest, I agree, you're straw-manning against points that you're not willing to actually discuss, so there's no further room for discussion. I am curious, however, where you're getting the stats that indicate, for instance, that Vucevic was a far and away more inefficient player than the rest. As I posted, Vucevic's regular season 111.3 ORtg (on 24.4 usage) is in line with most everyone else's. It's just strawmanning to point to, like DJJ having a 112.8 ORtg on much smaller usage as if it means anything. Javonte's ORtg (113.6) during the regular season was also higher than Zach's and Demar's. So what. It means nothing. A lot of data that's of systematically poor quality isn't helpful.

I'm pointing out why that result shouldn't lead one to a nonsensical conclusion, and arguing for consistent application.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,743

Re: Bulls Biggest Need this Off-season: 3 and D players OR big man who can rebound and defend? 

Post#62 » by dougthonus » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:50 pm

MikeDC wrote:I am curious, however, where you're getting the stats that indicate, for instance, that Vucevic was a far and away more inefficient player than the rest. As I posted, Vucevic's regular season 111.3 ORtg (on 24.4 usage) is in line with most everyone else's.

I was using TS% not ORtg, but he's actually the worst in ORtg, basketball-reference has him at 107 for the team. His TS% is 2nd worse (to Caruso). I generally don't use ORtg myself.

To be clear, this isn't a one year problem with Vuc. He is below the league average in efficiency for his whole career, very rare for a center, in fact he's the least efficient center that players significant minutes in the NBA.

Fundamentally, Vuc is not good enough that he should be taking a ton of shots because when he shoots he makes your offense worse. Given that he's also bad on defense, it means he's probably not an impactful player overall which has also shown his whole career to be true.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#63 » by sco » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:30 pm

dougthonus wrote:
MikeDC wrote:I am curious, however, where you're getting the stats that indicate, for instance, that Vucevic was a far and away more inefficient player than the rest. As I posted, Vucevic's regular season 111.3 ORtg (on 24.4 usage) is in line with most everyone else's.

I was using TS% not ORtg, but he's actually the worst in ORtg, basketball-reference has him at 107 for the team. His TS% is 2nd worse (to Caruso). I generally don't use ORtg myself.

To be clear, this isn't a one year problem with Vuc. He is below the league average in efficiency for his whole career, very rare for a center, in fact he's the least efficient center that players significant minutes in the NBA.

Fundamentally, Vuc is not good enough that he should be taking a ton of shots because when he shoots he makes your offense worse. Given that he's also bad on defense, it means he's probably not an impactful player overall which has also shown his whole career to be true.

Yeah, his game is too perimeter oriented for a guy who doesn't make his 3's, and he misses bunnies when guarded by a competent rim protector.
:clap:
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,009

Post#64 » by Am2626 » Sun May 1, 2022 1:02 am

Almost Retired wrote:
DuckIII wrote:I guess I’m in the minority but I think getting a mobile interior defender is priority number 1.

We need both and we’ll get both I believe. But when healthy our current roster has decent three point shooters. The closest thing we have to ANY mobile interior defense is Pat. That’s ridiculous.

The two Centers I'd prefer, Jalen Duren and Mark Williams, will be gone before we pick. That leaves us with probably two center possibilities. It depends on what we are looking for. If we want interior defense and rim protection I think Walker Kessler fits the need. He's a shot blocking savant. But he's not going to provide the "guard 1-5" switch ability, he's an average rebounder at best, and while he seem to have a soft touch around the rim offensively his free throw shooting numbers are very poor. He'll be available at #18, the question is whether he's worthy of #18.

The other option would seem to be Christian Koloko. He's a better athlete than Kessler in terms of foot speed and jump quickness. He actually shoots a much higher free throw percentage than Kessler. But he never attempted a "3" during his College career. He'll likely only be a rim runner whose offense will consist primarily of put backs and the occasional ally-oop from Lonzo. Koloko is raw and possibly foul prone. But he has the athleticism to offer some switch ability defensively. I think he's getable in the high second round if AKME can get us a pick in that range in some off season deal.

That's probably about it in the Draft for Centers. Pretty thin. Which gives more credence to the idea of trading for or signing Bamba. I liked Bamba in College and caught a couple of Texas games when he played for them. I saw a kid with elite length who was able to use his wingspan to block shots with either hand and he could go from the paint to the 3 point line in 2 strides. I though he would end up being a much better player in the NBA than he has shown so far. I don't know his work ethic. But I would bet that he would provide more help early on than either Kessler or Koloko.

As for 3 & D help in the Draft the mocks are looking like Tari Eason might possibly fall to us at #18. That would be a no-brainer. Also likely to be available at #18 due to his age is Ochai Agbaji. Agbaji would be the most "ready now" prospect who can play at both ends, but he's a SG rather than a wing in my opinion. Kendall Brown of Baylor would surely bring the "D". He's 6-8", quick jumper, can cover 1-4, he shot 34% from "3". If Eason is off the board Brown would be my pick.

If Duren or Mark Williams is the guy they want they can always package the #18 pick and someone on the team to move up and get either of them. I do think this need can be filled via FA and the 2 guys that come to mind are Mo Bamba and Mitchell Robinson.
Drgaliza2
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#65 » by Drgaliza2 » Sun May 1, 2022 5:33 pm

I think bulls need to improve shooting and needs a big man.. They have to focus on getting a center who can shoot 3 and defend.. gobert or vucivic is not the answer.

Bucks 3ple tower of giannis, porter, brook lopez.. who can defend and make shots exposed the bulls lack of shooting..

Lavine aint shooting well.. lonzo is injured.. who else would make bucks pay for packing in the paint.

I have no idea why bulls let go of bobby portis and held on mirotic. Bobby can play sf pf and center with decent defense and can shoot threes..

They should focus on getting both to be honest a 3 and D forward and center..

Trading Gobert wont solve opponents from packing the paint..
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,590

Post#66 » by Jimako10 » Sun May 1, 2022 6:08 pm

dougthonus wrote:

There's more than one way to evaluate efficiency and it often fluctuates based on the offensive role + teammates around that certain player. In Orlando, Vuc was surrounded by arguably the worst cast of teammates on the offensive end for a few years, while also being the center of defensive attention and primary option. Vuc then moved to a team where he wasn't the primary focus while giving him a significant increase in quality shots. In theory this should have led to better efficiency numbers, but clearly that wasn't the case and everyone is trying to figure out why. Could be just a huge reversion to the mean or some have said fatigue, who knows.
MikeDC
Analyst

Post#67 » by MikeDC » Sun May 1, 2022 6:58 pm

dougthonus wrote:

It doesn't really matter that a guy is "bad" in the abstract sense if the other options you actually have to work with are actually worse. In that case, he doesn't make your offense "worse", he makes it better. Because
1. the players that are superficially more efficient cannot replicate that efficiency with higher usage.
2. the offensive scheme required to maximize our best players (Zach and DeMar) requires this (as an aside, what this means is that if you replace Vuc with a non-shooter, a) you lose some of the spacing they like because that guy has to be close to the basket and b) someone else, like Pat, most likely, has to become more of a catch-and-shoot option.

Try to look at this from the perspective of wider league trends. Why do you think the "stretch big" is a thing when so many of them shoot poorly?
  • Randle 30.8% on 5.4 3PA
  • Jackson 31.9% on 5.1 3PA
  • Porzingis 31.0% on 4.9 3PA
  • Vuc 31.4% on 4.5
  • Turner 33.3% on 4.4
  • Lopez 35.1% on 4.1
  • Horford 33.6% on 3.8

The answer isn't because coaches are stupid. This is exactly the dynamic laid out in the second point above. Look at all these bigs shooting lots of low-percentage 3s. Sure, I'd prefer to have Jaren Jackson or Myles Turner or Al Horford than Vuc. But the bigger point is that having a non-stretch big basically closes off the dominant NBA strategy. Which is probably a big chunk of why a guy like Rudy Gobert is going to get traded. To make a non-shooting big work, you have to give up some spacing and get better shooting from elsewhere.

The Bulls, if they trade for Gobert, for example, are not going to have success with Pat being the "designated catch and shoot guy". It'll be a waste of him, and it won't be successful for the Bulls.

Basically, these problems are interrelated. A true 3+D power forward should be the priority though, because that guy would be a requirement if you get a Gobert type, but would also let the Bulls better live with Vuc and minimize the problems he causes.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#68 » by dougthonus » Sun May 1, 2022 7:14 pm

Jimako10 wrote:There's more than one way to evaluate efficiency and it often fluctuates based on the offensive role + teammates around that certain player. In Orlando, Vuc was surrounded by arguably the worst cast of teammates on the offensive end for a few years, while also being the center of defensive attention and primary option. Vuc then moved to a team where he wasn't the primary focus while giving him a significant increase in quality shots. In theory this should have led to better efficiency numbers, but clearly that wasn't the case and everyone is trying to figure out why. Could be just a huge reversion to the mean or some have said fatigue, who knows.

This more or less starts with the question: Why is Vuc no longer a difference maker on offense?

Instead, ignore this season, and ask the question: Is Vuc a difference maker on offense?

The answer to that second question is "probably not". With the "probably" in there because he had bad casts around him, but most guys who are difference makers are still obvious difference makers even with bad people around them. They usually don't generate wins, but they still usually can generate efficient offense.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#69 » by dougthonus » Sun May 1, 2022 7:28 pm

MikeDC wrote:It doesn't really matter that a guy is "bad" in the abstract sense if the other options you actually have to work with are actually worse.

The other guys aren't worse. As noted, every other player on the team had a higher ORtg and everyone but Caruso had a higher TS%. Vuc wasn't a shot creator for the most part nor was he leading the offense to add other intangible values.

In that case, he doesn't make your offense "worse", he makes it better. Because
1. the players that are superficially more efficient cannot replicate that efficiency with higher usage.

It's a false alternative. You don't need to give one player all of Vuc's shots or even take away all of Vuc's shots. You could trivially spread them around. Most of his shots were just open jumpers.

2. the offensive scheme required to maximize our best players (Zach and DeMar) requires this (as an aside, what this means is that if you replace Vuc with a non-shooter, a) you lose some of the spacing they like because that guy has to be close to the basket and b) someone else, like Pat, most likely, has to become more of a catch-and-shoot option.

This assumes people honored Vuc as a shooter. This was not true by the end of the year though may have been true more towards the beginning. Pat showed that he was a much better catch and shoot option than Vuc so far.

Try to look at this from the perspective of wider league trends. Why do you think the "stretch big" is a thing when so many of them shoot poorly?
  • Randle 30.8% on 5.4 3PA
  • Jackson 31.9% on 5.1 3PA
  • Porzingis 31.0% on 4.9 3PA
  • Vuc 31.4% on 4.5
  • Turner 33.3% on 4.4
  • Lopez 35.1% on 4.1
  • Horford 33.6% on 3.8

The answer isn't because coaches are stupid. This is exactly the dynamic laid out in the second point above. Look at all these bigs shooting lots of low-percentage 3s. Sure, I'd prefer to have Jaren Jackson or Myles Turner or Al Horford than Vuc. But the bigger point is that having a non-stretch big basically closes off the dominant NBA strategy. Which is probably a big chunk of why a guy like Rudy Gobert is going to get traded. To make a non-shooting big work, you have to give up some spacing and get better shooting from elsewhere.

Of these players Randle, Porzingis, and Turner are on god awful teams, so who cares.

Lopez shoots an acceptable percentage, is efficient overall, and shoots far fewer shots. If Vuc played Lopez's role he would be better.

Jackson adds a ton on defense and isn't destroying you on the other end of the court and is young and projected as a three point shooter so Memphis is rolling with it, but they should absolutely stop having him jack shots if he doesn't improve. He also takes fewer shots than Vuc by a good margin.

Horford is efficient overall and takes half the shots of Vuc and is also a tiny piece of the offense and can play defense.

I'm not saying Vuc is a minimum salary caliber player that makes the team worse. I'm saying his shot load should be reduced and he shouldn't be viewed as a guy capable of stretching the floor consistently. Of the guys you named, none are featured the way Vuc is in their offenses.

The Bulls, if they trade for Gobert, for example, are not going to have success with Pat being the "designated catch and shoot guy". It'll be a waste of him, and it won't be successful for the Bulls.

I think just replacing Vuc with Gobert would improve the team, but there are lots of challenges with that (4/160 for a defense only center in this NBA is also a really bad idea and will limit other things you can do).

Basically, these problems are interrelated. A true 3+D power forward should be the priority though, because that guy would be a requirement if you get a Gobert type, but would also let the Bulls better live with Vuc and minimize the problems he causes.

If the Bulls treat Vuc like Brook Lopez, they'll be better. I agree the problems are all interrelated, the start of the problem is that in the end DDR and Zach aren't good enough to carry role players anywhere. We have solid role players (and I actually would view Vuc as a solid role player), but our star power is lacking. That's no knock on those guys as it isn't their fault they're cast as #1/#2, but it gets back to the difficulty of trying to win now when you were as far away as the Bulls were.

Fundamentally, management went all in on a team that had no meaningful path out of the 1st round except for guys to radically outperform what they have done in the past. We actually saw exactly that up until Feb when Zach's knee went bad.
@doug_thonus on twitter
PistolP
Analyst
And1: 337

Post#70 » by PistolP » Sun May 1, 2022 7:51 pm

Drgaliza2 wrote:I think bulls need to improve shooting and needs a big man.. They have to focus on getting a center who can shoot 3 and defend.. gobert or vucivic is not the answer.

I don't disagree that getting a center that can defend + space the floor is ideal, but starting caliber centers who do that are usually Max players.

Here's a list of active centers who shoot >33% on 3s for their career on at least 1 attempt per game, while also having a positive career DPM

Jokic (Max salary)
Embiid (Max salary)
KAT (Max salary)
Horford ($27m)
Vucevic ($22m)
Turner ($18m)
Olynk ($13m)
Boucher (Free Agent)
Bamba (Free Agent)
Dieng (Free Agent)

Thin list. Boucher, Bamba and Dieng would all be solid bench additions and should be FA targets, though I don't think any of those guys necessarily move the needle a ton. Turner is arguably a better fit for this roster than Vuc, though not sure why Pacers would do that swap.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#71 » by sco » Sun May 1, 2022 8:04 pm

PistolP wrote:
Drgaliza2 wrote:I think bulls need to improve shooting and needs a big man.. They have to focus on getting a center who can shoot 3 and defend.. gobert or vucivic is not the answer.

I don't disagree that getting a center that can defend + space the floor is ideal, but starting caliber centers who do that are usually Max players.

Here's a list of active centers who shoot >33% on 3s for their career on at least 1 attempt per game, while also having a positive career DPM

Jokic (Max salary)
Embiid (Max salary)
KAT (Max salary)
Horford ($27m)
Vucevic ($22m)
Turner ($18m)
Olynk ($13m)
Boucher (Free Agent)
Bamba (Free Agent)
Dieng (Free Agent)

Thin list. Boucher, Bamba and Dieng would all be solid bench additions and should be FA targets, though I don't think any of those guys necessarily move the needle a ton. Turner is arguably a better fit for this roster than Vuc, though not sure why Pacers would do that swap.

I really don't think we're trading Vuc this offseason...I just hope we don't extend him. As such, I like the idea of going after a guy (likely via S&T) who is able to play alongside either Pat or Vuc, to justify paying more and getting a 28-30 minute guy.

Dieng may be a guy we could actually land on a $6M MLE.
:clap:
Jimako10
Analyst

Post#72 » by Jimako10 » Sun May 1, 2022 8:08 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Jimako10 wrote:There's more than one way to evaluate efficiency and it often fluctuates based on the offensive role + teammates around that certain player. In Orlando, Vuc was surrounded by arguably the worst cast of teammates on the offensive end for a few years, while also being the center of defensive attention and primary option. Vuc then moved to a team where he wasn't the primary focus while giving him a significant increase in quality shots. In theory this should have led to better efficiency numbers, but clearly that wasn't the case and everyone is trying to figure out why. Could be just a huge reversion to the mean or some have said fatigue, who knows.

This more or less starts with the question: Why is Vuc no longer a difference maker on offense?

Instead, ignore this season, and ask the question: Is Vuc a difference maker on offense?

The answer to that second question is "probably not". With the "probably" in there because he had bad casts around him, but most guys who are difference makers are still obvious difference makers even with bad people around them. They usually don't generate wins, but they still usually can generate efficient offense.

The answer to the first question: He's not hitting shots.

The answer to the second question: When he's hitting shots he is a difference maker.

I think it's that simple. I think if he's hitting 36-37% on 6 attempts a game or more, we'd probably be a 50 win team right now. And a lot of that not only would increase his own efficiency/rating, but the spacing he'd provide would help the other 2 "stars" on the team, especially DD who needs the paint to himself to be really effective.

So the question for me is, is this the real Vuc or is this is some bad luck regression? You also have to realize that Vuc just started shooting 3s midway through his career, so starting from 2017-2018, his %s are 31%, 36%, 34%, 40%, 31%.

It just might be better to gamble that Vuc will have positive regression next year, especially if we decide to keep DD.
MikeDC
Analyst

Post#73 » by MikeDC » Sun May 1, 2022 8:39 pm

dougthonus wrote:
MikeDC wrote:It doesn't really matter that a guy is "bad" in the abstract sense if the other options you actually have to work with are actually worse.

The other guys aren't worse. As noted, every other player on the team had a higher ORtg...

Factually inaccurate according to NBA.com

In that case, he doesn't make your offense "worse", he makes it better. Because

It's a false alternative. You don't need to give one player all of Vuc's shots or even take away all of Vuc's shots. You could trivially spread them around. Most of his shots were just open jumpers.

It's a general truth. Whether you give 1 player a lot more possessions or 3 players a few more possessions doesn't change the fact that the players using more possessions will, other things being equal, see their efficiency fall. Suggesting you replace 1 big tradeoff with 3 small tradeoffs doesn't change the bottom line one bit.

This assumes people honored Vuc as a shooter. This was not true by the end of the year though may have been true more towards the beginning. Pat showed that he was a much better catch and shoot option than Vuc so far.

1. It doesn't assume people honored Vuc as a shooter. Part of it just requires that the center isn't standing in the way. It's based on the accurate assumption that our players who drive to the basket want space... to drive to the basket.

2. I like Pat, but again, Pat didn't "show he was a much better catch and shoot option". Pat showed improvement, but he showed that he's an unwilling 3 point shooter with a slow release. His playoff performance was 2 points higher than Vuc (33.3% vs. 31%) but he was scared to take them. And he should be scared, because he's not good at it.

This is the point I keep hammering home. You are pointing out the stats that show Pat was marginally better but working really hard to avoid putting that into the context of what we actually saw. What we actually saw is that Vuc took more shots because the other guys were, literally, unwilling to shoot.

If you took Vuc off the team, maybe you force Pat to shoot some of those shots that he was unwilling to take. But at that point, you need to understand that if a guy is so lacking confidence in his shot that he doesn't want to take it, then forcing him to do so probably isn't a good thing. It's strong evidence that if you force him to shoot more, his shooting percentage would have fallen even further.

Basically, Vuc's statistical "result" suffered because he did what he was supposed to do, which is take the open shot. Pat (and Ayo, Coby in the playoffs, etc... all those guys who were passing up open shots they should have took), well, their percentages improved because they were only taking the shots they were comfortable taking. If you put them in the equivalent situation though, and force them to take a bunch of shots, even "open" ones, that they don't think they can take, they're not going to make them at the same rate. This is just something that's clear when you watch or play basketball.

Of these players Randle, Porzingis, and Turner are on god awful teams, so who cares.

Lopez shoots an acceptable percentage, is efficient overall, and shoots far fewer shots. If Vuc played Lopez's role he would be better.
I'm saying his shot load should be reduced and he shouldn't be viewed as a guy capable of stretching the floor consistently. Of the guys you named, none are featured the way Vuc is in their offenses.

I think you're just conflating results with strategy. In a way that reminds me of the Boylen Bulls. Where they just said, "well hey, 'analytics' tells us we should do X, Y, and Z and therefore we'll win. So, like, we should get 35 assists a game, and we'll be win. We won't take any mid range shots, and we'll be great!"

But that turned out to be predictably backwards. Good statistical results come out of good strategy. But just policing yourself so you get "good" statistical results is not actually a strategy.

Anyway, I'm going to return to the Lopez example for context. There's no way besides looking at a very limited sample, where you can say Lopez is better. His role is, and has been basically identical to Vuc's. If anything, his shooting has generally been worse!

Yes, he's shot slightly fewer shots. But that has nothing to do with him, it has to do with his teammates being better.

Like, Vuc would have taken fewer shots against the Bucks if Coby/Pat/Ayo weren't **** their pants.

Obviously, that's a bad outcome for the Bulls, but at a basic level, you need to understand that the flaw isn't with Vucevic being objectively bad, but Coby/Pat/Ayo being objectively bad.

Point is. The teammates are the difference. Not the two players, who have almost identical roles. Put Lopez on the Bulls, and he'd the be scapegoat. Put Vuc on the Bucks, and he'd suddenly look "acceptable".

I think just replacing Vuc with Gobert would improve the team, but there are lots of challenges with that (4/160 for a defense only center in this NBA is also a really bad idea and will limit other things you can do).

If the Bulls treat Vuc like Brook Lopez, they'll be better. I agree the problems are all interrelated, the start of the problem is that in the end DDR and Zach aren't good enough to carry role players anywhere. We have solid role players (and I actually would view Vuc as a solid role player), but our star power is lacking. That's no knock on those guys as it isn't their fault they're cast as #1/#2, but it gets back to the difficulty of trying to win now when you were as far away as the Bulls were.

Fundamentally, management went all in on a team that had no meaningful path out of the 1st round except for guys to radically outperform what they have done in the past. We actually saw exactly that up until Feb when Zach's knee went bad.

I think I agree with this in the big picture, but I would say they basically have treated Vuc like Brook Lopez and that in addition to our stars being worse than the Bucks, our role players are worse too. To draw the parallel though, they've got two problems
1. As you say, Zach and DDR are nowhere close to Giannis and Holiday (depending on how you want to break it up one could imagine missing Middleton and Ball being, at the best, a push for the Bulls).
2. Portis/Allen/Matthews turned out to be a lot more effective than Pat/Coby/Ayo.

This isn't to say that Pat/Coby/Ayo suck forever, but their potential as young, theoretically good players is just very much at odds with the reality of them as actual players you'd want to win a game with. Like, would I trade Pat for Bobby Portis? Of course not. But if I had to pick one to win games with, it would absolutely be Portis.

The Bulls need to understand that, and line up their expectations accordingly.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#74 » by dougthonus » Sun May 1, 2022 8:43 pm

Jimako10 wrote:The answer to the first question: He's not hitting shots.

The answer to the second question: When he's hitting shots he is a difference maker.

I think it's that simple. I think if he's hitting 36-37% on 6 attempts a game or more, we'd probably be a 50 win team right now. And a lot of that not only would increase his own efficiency/rating, but the spacing he'd provide would help the other 2 "stars" on the team, especially DD who needs the paint to himself to be really effective.

So the question for me is, is this the real Vuc or is this is some bad luck regression? You also have to realize that Vuc just started shooting 3s midway through his career, so starting from 2017-2018, his %s are 31%, 36%, 34%, 40%, 31%.

It just might be better to gamble that Vuc will have positive regression next year, especially if we decide to keep DD.

He has had literally one season in his career where he shot in high volume and hit a good percentage from three. 36% on less than three attempts per game is okayish, but the volume is still low. 33.9% and 31% on decent volume are not good years. Literally one good year in his entire career.

For his entire career, he is below average as an offensive efficiency player. This isn't a statement you would make about a difference maker on offense unless they were doing something amazing passing the ball (say Jason Kidd in his prime), but as a guy who is mainly an outlet on offense, to be below average in efficiency is very poor. His career average is below league average.

People often point to the cast, but Zach LaVine with absolute crap around him had a season with us prior to this one with 63% TS%. Vuc, as a center which typically average about 5% higher than a guard, has a career high of 57.3% and a career average of 53.9%. The league average this past season was 56.6%, a number Vuc has eclipsed a grand total of one time in 11 seasons. His career ORtg is 108. The league average last year was 112, a number Vuc has eclipsed a grand total of one time (tied it twice).

There is no meaningful evidence to support Vuc as an efficient, effective volume offensive player. He's a role player caliber guy that was allowed to take a ton of shots on a bad team and because he accumulated a lot of counting stats people somehow mistook him for a star caliber player.
@doug_thonus on twitter
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,154

Post#75 » by League Circles » Sun May 1, 2022 8:54 pm

Doug, you've got me feeling sad, cause when we traded for Vuc, my immediate thought was omg that's a lot for kind of a nobody career C (despite the "all star" appearances). Somehow I went into denial mode until now.

I do think he's good enough to be a starter, and he's a capable scorer and rebounder. His salary is in the ballpark of fair. But yes his usage should be reduced and we need a certain kind of player next to him that we don't have and have no obvious way to get.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#76 » by weneeda2guard » Sun May 1, 2022 10:10 pm

We need both

Vucevic needs a defensive big next to him

We also need at least 2 3 pt shooters and ball to come back.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,196

Post#77 » by HomoSapien » Sun May 1, 2022 10:16 pm

I would prioritize Jalen Smith and offer him the full MLE on day one of free-agency. Smith filled in incredibly well for DeAndre Ayton and then thrived for the Pacers after he was traded to Indiana. Smith averaged 13 ppg, 8 rpg, 1 bpg, and shot 37% from downtown in good volume in 25 mpg off the bench.

For us, he’d bring size, shooting, scoring, rebounding and could potentially develop into Vuc’s long-term replacement. Since the Pacers traded for him after the Suns declined his option they can only offer him $4.5m. In other words, there’s no chance the Pacers can retain him.

If that doesn’t work out, my next phone call would be to Chris Boucher who checks a lot of the same boxes.

Size was a big issue for us. Vuc was essentially our only competent big men, and that hurt us given how inconsistent he was. We need to have an option to play someone else when Vuc is struggling.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#78 » by Chi town » Sun May 1, 2022 10:37 pm

HomoSapien wrote:I would prioritize Jalen Smith and offer him the full MLE on day one of free-agency. Smith filled in incredibly well for DeAndre Ayton and then thrived for the Pacers after he was traded to Indiana. Smith averaged 13 ppg, 8 rpg, 1 bpg, and shot 37% from downtown in good volume in 25 mpg off the bench.

For us, he’d bring size, shooting, scoring, rebounding and could potentially develop into Vuc’s long-term replacement. Since the Pacers traded for him after the Suns declined his option they can only offer him $4.5m. In other words, there’s no chance the Pacers can retain him.

If that doesn’t work out, my next phone call would be to Chris Boucher who checks a lot of the same boxes.

Size was a big issue for us. Vuc was essentially our only competent big men, and that hurt us given how inconsistent he was. We need to have an option to play someone else when Vuc is struggling.

I like Smith as an option with higher upside. Much better than Tristan Thompson. Seems like he was a victim of the cap in PHX.
Jimako10
Analyst

Post#79 » by Jimako10 » Sun May 1, 2022 11:01 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Jimako10 wrote:The answer to the first question: He's not hitting shots.

He has had literally one season in his career where he shot in high volume and hit a good percentage from three. 36% on less than three attempts per game is okayish, but the volume is still low. 33.9% and 31% on decent volume are not good years. Literally one good year in his entire career.

For his entire career, he is below average as an offensive efficiency player. This isn't a statement you would make about a difference maker on offense unless they were doing something amazing passing the ball (say Jason Kidd in his prime), but as a guy who is mainly an outlet on offense, to be below average in efficiency is very poor. His career average is below league average.

People often point to the cast, but Zach LaVine with absolute crap around him had a season with us prior to this one with 63% TS%. Vuc, as a center which typically average about 5% higher than a guard, has a career high of 57.3% and a career average of 53.9%. The league average this past season was 56.6%, a number Vuc has eclipsed a grand total of one time in 11 seasons. His career ORtg is 108. The league average last year was 112, a number Vuc has eclipsed a grand total of one time (tied it twice).

There is no meaningful evidence to support Vuc as an efficient, effective volume offensive player. He's a role player caliber guy that was allowed to take a ton of shots on a bad team and because he accumulated a lot of counting stats people somehow mistook him for a star caliber player.

I pretty much agree with MikeDC's post above, so I won't get into it too much here, but I do think you that you are ignoring context and strategy when trying to apply efficiency to Vuc. I mean, Javonte Green has a 64 TS% with 130 O rating, should we give him a bigger role and more volume?

For what Vuc does bring to the table, which is a big who can rebound, screen, facilitate and most importantly, spread the floor (when his shot is falling), that can have a significant impact based on the structure of this current roster. This type of player doesn't grow on trees and is a premium in today's NBA. Just look at Steven Adams and how he averaged 26 mpg while playing 75 games, and he's completely OUT of the playoff rotation all of the sudden. Care to guess why?

I think arguing whether Vuc was/is a star player is distracting from the actual conversation of whether Vuc can have a significant impact on this specific team. For me, that significant impact will come from his shooting. If you are arguing that he's never been a good "scorer", then I'd probably agree with you, but he's been a good "shooter" before, and unfortunately it wasn't this past year. If you're arguing that Vuc will never become a 36-40% 3 point shooter EVER again, then I'd ask for tomorrow's lottery numbers as well.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Post#80 » by Dan Z » Sun May 1, 2022 11:13 pm

HomoSapien wrote:I would prioritize Jalen Smith and offer him the full MLE on day one of free-agency. Smith filled in incredibly well for DeAndre Ayton and then thrived for the Pacers after he was traded to Indiana. Smith averaged 13 ppg, 8 rpg, 1 bpg, and shot 37% from downtown in good volume in 25 mpg off the bench.

I agree with both those ideas and if Jalen requires more than the MLE maybe the Bulls could do a sign and trade? Perhaps the Pacers would take Coby? I'm not sure how a sign and trade would work (if it could even be worked out).

Another player I've thought about (but for a cheap contract) is Biyombo. Obviously, Smith and Boucher are higher on the priority list.

Return to Chicago Bulls