Image ImageImage Image

So what really happened in that locker room?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

CROBulls
Junior
And1: 157

Re: So what really happened in that locker room? 

Post#21 » by CROBulls » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:59 pm

Same thing what was happening in my bedroom. Nothing.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,049

Post#22 » by FriedRise » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:04 pm

If there was internal drama, I think it would've been reported - by Joe Cowley. The reporters weren't as plugged in as they were pre-COVID, but things like that would've come out. It always does. I never saw it in the players body language even with the losses piling up.

I believe the collapse was 100% on-court related (injuries, roster make-up, coaching, inexperience - take your pick). I'm sure it was frustrating. But if anything, we needed more guys who can light a little fire because so many of our players are chill dudes.
Bulliever2020
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,961

Post#23 » by Bulliever2020 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:11 pm

There is currently a 30for30 in pre-production on this Bulls season tentatively titled "Where's The Beef, the real story of the 21-22 Chicago Bulls"
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,899

Post#24 » by weneeda2guard » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:19 pm

We fell off a cliff imo for these reasons

1. Point guard play went to crap. Early on in the season it was understood that when we got up to about 30 assist we were dam near unbeatable. That fully went away. Donovan offense has always worked best with a dynamic point guard.

2. Becoming one of the worst 3pt shooting teams in the league

3. Derozan iso ball which stalled our offense killed ball movement and hindered other players from getting into an offensive rhythm. The media coverage of Derozan mvp campaign hurt us more than helped us. Derozan as a alpha in hindsight was a disaster outside a couple game winners.

4. Losing ball was devastating to us. 1. We lost a reliable 3pt shooter who at times broke games open for us with streaky hot shooting. 2 we lost a pg that helped the pace of the offense. 3 we lost a plus defender. 4 we lost the help defender off lavine. Ball covered a lot of lavine mistakes. 5. We lost a guy who got steals and created turnovers.

5. Lavine got hurt. Seeing as he going right to surgery he was genuinely hurt. Before he was hurt he was playing at a legit all star level

6. Tristan Thompson did not work out here. At all

7. We had one of the worst benches in the league

8. Donovan rotation became predictable and questionable.

9. Caruso got hurt

10. Our schedule was ridiculous. We begun the season with the 3rd toughest schedule in the league and ended the season with the 1st toughest remaining schedule in the league. Then we toss in the middle even when our schedule softened up, covid protocols took out most the roster at some point and we were dealing with stretches of 5 games in 7 nights, 7 games in 10 nights etc especially after we got that week or so off from the league. Making up those games made even the soft part of our schedule brutal.

And with all that we won almost 20 more games than last year made the playoffs and won a game against the defending champions.

So all things considered this season was a success.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#25 » by NecessaryEvil » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:43 pm

So, I just talked to a player on the team yesterday who doesn't play much. Billy Donovan lost the team a while ago.

I won't get into too much but it was an interesting convo to say the least.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,528

Post#26 » by DuckIII » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:50 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:So, I just talked to a player on the team yesterday who doesn't play much. Billy Donovan lost the team a while ago.

I for one would prefer that you “get into it” extensively and include every single detail. Who’s with me?
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,846

Post#27 » by The Explorer » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:06 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:So, I just talked to a player on the team yesterday who doesn't play much. Billy Donovan lost the team a while ago.

If true that's somewhat surprising because all the players comments about Donovan in the first half of the season showed they were really high on him. DeRozan even mentioned he was trying to win the game before the all star break so they could get the #1 seed so Donovan could the game.

But it's also not surprising given all those feel good comments were gone in the 2nd half and it was just a lot of frustration in the post game locker room every game. Getting blown out every game definitely points to a coaching issue, or a player buy in of the coach issue.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#28 » by ChettheJet » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:10 pm

Some people go way beyond pessimism. A year ago people wanted Mike Conley or Chris Paul or several other well paid PGs to mentor Coby White. So the Bulls saw they had a need at PG and went out and signed Lonzo and for the first half of the season even with their starting PF Patrick Williams with a cast on his wrist they had the best record in the east. The very PG they needed and were thriving with got hurt and that was the primary reason the second half of the season fell apart.

It wasn't coaching, it wasn't the other players forgetting their roles or trying to do too much. It was the key acquisition of the off season was no longer there and the next man up wasn't brought in as a duplicate of Lonzo Ball.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#29 » by NecessaryEvil » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:52 pm

The Explorer wrote:

If true that's somewhat surprising because all the players comments about Donovan in the first half of the season showed they were really high on him. DeRozan even mentioned he was trying to win the game before the all star break so they could get the #1 seed so Donovan could the game.

But it's also not surprising given all those feel good comments were gone in the 2nd half and it was just a lot of frustration in the post game locker room every game. Getting blown out every game definitely points to a coaching issue, or a player buy in of the coach issue.

I'll also say this, one of the higher paid players on the teams ladder does NOT like Billy Donovan. Which, I'm surprised about because in the media u wouldn't think that would be the case.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,209

Post#30 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:53 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
The Explorer wrote:

I'll also say this, one of the higher paid players on the teams ladder does NOT like Billy Donovan. Which, I'm surprised about because in the media u wouldn't think that would be the case.

I knew Vuciviec didn’t like him. I effin knew it.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,885

Post#31 » by MAQ » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:22 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
The Explorer wrote:

Hard to believe its Lavine...really hard.

So that leaves DDR and Vuc. My money is on Vuc as well.

Which means its definitely Lavine.

I'm fighting every bone in my body to not dm the NecessaryEvil. I am a weak man however.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
jordanwilliams6
Analyst
And1: 3,015

Post#32 » by jordanwilliams6 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:40 pm

I don’t think there was ever any internal drama. A few things papered over an average team at the start of the year. We beat down on bad teams and Demar saved us in the clutch by himself for probably 4-5 wins in the first 50 games. I think realistically we were always a 50 win team at best and then the injuries in the second half of the season to Zach, Lonzo & AC brought us back to a 35-40ish win team level.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#33 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:43 pm

MAQ wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:

I'm fighting every bone in my body to not dm the NecessaryEvil. I am a weak man however.

Lonzo also is one of the higher paid players but I can't imagine that it is him. Donovan likes defense and always has. Look at his gators teams and who liked him etc... Lonzo is the type of guy that would see eye to eye with BD IMHO. Lavine, DDR or Vuc all equally could be it but honestly, Vuc seems to be the most moody and pouty. the system also wasn't great for him either so I am just in this who fictional situation saying it is Vuc. NO ONE PUT ANY STOCK IN ANY OF THIS, this is just end of the season tom foolery.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,923

Post#34 » by Wingy » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:30 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
MAQ wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

Lonzo also is one of the higher paid players but I can't imagine that it is him. Donovan likes defense and always has. Look at his gators teams and who liked him etc... Lonzo is the type of guy that would see eye to eye with BD IMHO. Lavine, DDR or Vuc all equally could be it but honestly, Vuc seems to be the most moody and pouty. the system also wasn't great for him either so I am just in this who fictional situation saying it is Vuc. NO ONE PUT ANY STOCK IN ANY OF THIS, this is just end of the season tom foolery.

It’s Zach.

Only 4 guys can even fit that description. Lonzo didn’t play during the collapse, makes no sense it would be him.

Everything bent to the will of DeMar, so I highly doubt it’s him.

That leaves Zach or Vuc, and you could see how it could be either of them. I’d guess Zach though since he always said the nice thing publicly, thus the - you wouldn’t expect it comment...this is the closest thing to a giveaway. I remember his public comments being highlighted around here. Don’t recall ever hearing a single Vuc opinion on the coach.

He probably felt underutilized with so much DeMar-ball. I also recall a few times where he was really annoyed at a timeout, and not saying it never happened, but i don’t recall seeing that from other players.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#35 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:51 am

Wingy wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
MAQ wrote:Hard to believe its Lavine...really hard.

It’s Zach.

Only 4 guys can even fit that description. Lonzo didn’t play during the collapse, makes no sense it would be him.

That leaves Zach or Vuc, and you could see how it could be either of them. I’d guess Zach though since he always said the nice thing publicly, thus the - you wouldn’t expect it comment...this is the closest thing to a giveaway. I remember his public comments being highlighted around here. Don’t recall ever hearing a single Vuc opinion on the coach.

He probably felt underutilized with so much DeMar-ball. I also recall a few times where he was really annoyed at a timeout, and not saying it never happened, but i don’t recall seeing that from other players.

I can see that. I am not saying the initial 3rd hand story we are discussing is true or not but speculating it is, I can see Zach being upset. DDR took over what was supposed to be his team in a contract year etc... I wouldn't doubt it idk it were true.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,923

Post#36 » by Wingy » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:06 am

Michael Jackson wrote:I can see that. I am not saying the initial 3rd hand story we are discussing is true or not but speculating it is, I can see Zach being upset. DDR took over what was supposed to be his team in a contract year etc... I wouldn't doubt it idk it were true.

Yeah, might as well play along...the games are over for us. Plus, have no reason to believe NE is purposefully trying to mislead us.

Anyway, pretty sure from time on here I _think_ you’d be old enough to probably understand the reference. Thinking back to the 80s cartoon, it might be like Zach is the Starscream to DeMar’s Megatron.

Now it’s not actually to that extreme because I do think he has some level of legit like and appreciation for DeMar...but who would be shocked if Zach’s putting on the smile, saying the right things, but really wishing he were still the unquestioned man on the team?
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#37 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:30 am

Wingy wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:I can see that. I am not saying the initial 3rd hand story we are discussing is true or not but speculating it is, I can see Zach being upset. DDR took over what was supposed to be his team in a contract year etc... I wouldn't doubt it idk it were true.

Yeah, might as well play along...the games are over for us. Plus, have no reason to believe NE is purposefully trying to mislead us.

Anyway, pretty sure from time on here I _think_ you’d be old enough to probably understand the reference. Thinking back to the 80s cartoon, it might be like Zach is the Starscream to DeMar’s Megatron.

Now it’s not actually to that extreme because I do think he has some level of legit like and appreciation for DeMar...but who would be shocked if Zach’s putting on the smile, saying the right things, but really wishing he were still the unquestioned man on the team?

I do get the reference and Starscream was the same voice actor as Cobra Commander and both were meant to be grating, that aside yeah I very well think you may be right in that. He got the Klutch contract, team got him help etc... was supposed to be Zach's year. It could have been too but it started with the thumb. Then vid and the knee. I think he is just more frustrated because this was his year to shine and it really was and his body didn't comply. I am sure he has feelings about it but I think when that settles down and he inks a contract, it can go back to where it was the first few games, where everyone said DDR was here to be Zach's relief valve not the other way around. Pre the thumb injury first maybe 8 games, there was more talk about Zach being in the MVP race than DDR. I am sure it got under his skin, he is prime and trying to make his cash, and his legacy. Unfortunate events, but he will come back with a chip on his shoulder and DDR I think is fine with playing second fiddle, he started the season that way honestly. He just happened to have a career year but it wasn't out of spite or anything, it just happened
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,449

Post#38 » by LateNight » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:37 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:
The Explorer wrote:

Why exactly were you talking to Malcolm Hill?
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#39 » by chitownsports4ever » Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:12 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
Wingy wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:

It’s Zach.

I can see that. I am not saying the initial 3rd hand story we are discussing is true or not but speculating it is, I can see Zach being upset. DDR took over what was supposed to be his team in a contract year etc... I wouldn't doubt it idk it were true.

Did anybody really think Demar was gonna comes in and take 600 more shots than he did last year ? He took 400 more shots than Zach did this year or last year so I could see Zach being upset that Billy didn't adjust the offense so he could get some of those touches especially in the 4th quarter .

Vuc I could see him being upset with Billy but not because of touches as Demar is his boy . I could see him being upset at the lack of execution because we started out the first half of the season whipping that ball around 5-6 times before a shot and by the end of the season we were under 3 passes before a shot and if someone was feeling it less than two .

But beyond that speculation I could see any of them believing that one of the deep bench guys should've played more but Billy trotting out one of his faves every chance he gets
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,906

Post#40 » by RSP83 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:33 am

LateNight wrote:
NecessaryEvil wrote:
The Explorer wrote:

Why exactly were you talking to Malcolm Hill?

I'm thinking it's probably either TBJ / Thomas / Cook, who saw the progression from start to end.

Return to Chicago Bulls