Image ImageImage Image

The Derrick Jones Jr. situation for next season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

amcfad27
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,564

Re: The Derrick Jones Jr. situation for next season 

Post#21 » by amcfad27 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:46 am

Too skinny and not a reliable shooter. All flash little substance. Should move on

Sent from my moto e using RealGM Forums mobile app
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,701

Post#22 » by madvillian » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:08 am

HomoSapien wrote:I liked what he brought prior to the injury, but we just need to get bigger and we need more shooting. He keeps us small and is a limited shooter. I don't think he'll have a lot of suitors though, so maybe he can be retained on a small team-friendly contract.

team friendly deal as the 10th man is fine. But anything more money or role wise isn't going to cut it. I like the guy; I like most players that hustle and are fearless despite not being the most talented -- but talent wins more often than not and if he's the 8th man well, your roster isn't that good.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#23 » by sco » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:57 pm

madvillian wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:I liked what he brought prior to the injury, but we just need to get bigger and we need more shooting. He keeps us small and is a limited shooter. I don't think he'll have a lot of suitors though, so maybe he can be retained on a small team-friendly contract.

team friendly deal as the 10th man is fine. But anything more money or role wise isn't going to cut it. I like the guy; I like most players that hustle and are fearless despite not being the most talented -- but talent wins more often than not and if he's the 8th man well, your roster isn't that good.

I hear you guys. My point is that we have 11 guys on the roster if Bradley opts in. With our 1st, that's 12. If somehow we are able to dispose of Marko (please please), that's 11 again. We have our $6M MLE to bring in 1 rotation quality player. So we'll have somewhere between 11-13 guys on the roster, with the remaining slots to be filled with vet min guys. IMO, the only trade-off is between signing DJJ and signing another vet min guy. Also, we don't have many guys on decent salary filler deals, which could have decent value.

I know we WANT shooting/3-D, but you don't usually get that for the vet min.
:clap:
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#24 » by R3AL1TY » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:35 pm

Seemed like he was gonna take over a lot of Pat's minutes at one point but the injury bug got him too. I wouldn't mind if he comes back since he gave you a little bit of everything, plays at his best off ball, and sometimes can provide a few breathtaking games.
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 646

Post#25 » by Rose2Boozer » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:41 pm

Let him walk.
ROLES & HOLES
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#26 » by R3AL1TY » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:46 pm

If they can draft someone like him at #18 with better shooting potential, I would let him walk too.
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,449

Post#27 » by LateNight » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:58 pm

Maybe I’m crazy, but DJJ looked injured the whole second half of the season. He’d be fine in the Plays, then whenever there was a break it looked like he would sort of hunch up a bit and cradle the area near his adductor.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,093

Post#28 » by Mk0 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:41 pm

He was fantastic against AD in the beginning of the season, his length and hops allowed him an elite level of ball denial in the post.

The issue is that he is a toothpick and we will need someone with some grit in that role. Ideally his minutes would be given to a guy with an extra pounds on him like Brandon Clarke.

That said, I like him and would prefer to sign him then to let him walk. We will need contracts to move at some point (trade deadline, etc..)
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#29 » by League Circles » Sun May 1, 2022 12:26 am

Upgrading the role he plays with a legit big is basically Improving the Team 101 this summer. Hard to see him back. Fun player though.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#30 » by WindyCityBorn » Sun May 1, 2022 1:16 am

League Circles wrote:Upgrading the role he plays with a legit big is basically Improving the Team 101 this summer. Hard to see him back. Fun player though.

Yeah I DJJ, but he isn’t a shooter nor a player that can bang inside. For what it would cost too keep him we can get something we need. Hopefully we can sign and trade him instead of letting him walk though.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,450

Post#31 » by samwana » Sun May 1, 2022 6:01 am

when he grows a few inches and adds some weight to be able to bang inside. OR gets a reliable three point shot sure i like him back.

now vet min end of bench maybe, but only if there is no viable alternative

RealGM mobile app
eierluke
Lead Assistant
And1: 87

Post#32 » by eierluke » Mon May 2, 2022 9:55 pm

Olld rule, but still applies: don't sign your bench guys to multi year contracts, before you do have the starters in place.
With this group of starters we're far from set (especially P.Williams isn't starting material).
In order to improve our starters (and I actually just see DerMar as an ultimate starter) we just can not resign Jones, Tristan T. or Brown to multi year deals.
Sorry, but all three are as good as gone.
sven petersson
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#33 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue May 3, 2022 2:10 pm

unless the guy was still hurt, he was USELESS in the playoffs.

games we were down like 20 he had plenty of chances to step up and do something, he did not.

He's trying to be a FWD in a Guards body. He's like Zach, lean body type and had to add bulk.

Seems like a good dude. If we could add3 inches in height and 20 lbs and he'd be solid.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Post#34 » by dougthonus » Tue May 3, 2022 3:35 pm

The one thing I'll say about DJJ that makes him possible to come back is depending where you are with the rest of your salary and willingness to pay the tax, you can pay him via bird rights and the alternative of letting him walk will be a minimum salary player, and I believe he's better than a minimum salary player.

That said, using his bird rights along with the MLE (the only case the bird rights would matter) will absolutely put us in the tax, and I doubt he's better enough than a minimum salary player based on our roster that we pay the tax to have him.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,065

Post#35 » by MrSparkle » Tue May 3, 2022 9:29 pm

I feel like he's been in the league forever, but he's just barely 25.

I think between having bird rights in a low market, his age and remaining potential, multi-position/energy, and just having another trade salary on the books .. he's a solid resign (unless he wants 32/4 or something, in which case no thanks). Hard to go wrong if you give him 16/2 or something.

I really want some salary filler and flexibility to trade out of this cluster**** "big 3" at some point. Demar and Vuc each make far less than the max, so a $8-10m contract would be perfect to round out a max-salary trade if anyone becomes available (long-shot Davis scenario, or whatever). Sure as heck don't want to have to send Caruso out.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#36 » by MGB8 » Tue May 3, 2022 10:05 pm

I'd prefer Isaiah Roby for the same sort of money.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,174

Post#37 » by HomoSapien » Tue May 3, 2022 10:08 pm

LateNight wrote:Maybe I’m crazy, but DJJ looked injured the whole second half of the season. He’d be fine in the Plays, then whenever there was a break it looked like he would sort of hunch up a bit and cradle the area near his adductor.

I felt the same way. He had very few dunks in his return which I think is an indicator that he was uncomfortable in his return.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,370

Post#38 » by drosestruts » Tue May 3, 2022 10:16 pm

I'm in the camp of "the alternative to Jones is a minimum salary guy, and Jones is better than a min. contract player"

It's not like Jones walking gives us any capspace to use.

I really depends on other moves and roster spots, but in a vacuum, he's able to be retained via bird-rights, and is most likely better than anyone we'd be able to add.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,040

Post#39 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue May 3, 2022 10:21 pm

I would like him back. Chemistry is key. Continuity is key. He was a plus player.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#40 » by League Circles » Wed May 4, 2022 12:46 am

drosestruts wrote:I'm in the camp of "the alternative to Jones is a minimum salary guy, and Jones is better than a min. contract player"

It's not like Jones walking gives us any capspace to use.

I really depends on other moves and roster spots, but in a vacuum, he's able to be retained via bird-rights, and is most likely better than anyone we'd be able to add.

Isn't having the full MLE vs just the MMLE in play based on DJJ and a couple others like Brown, Bradley, etc?
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear

Return to Chicago Bulls