Image ImageImage Image

Would you give up Caruso, Ayo or Coby to move up and draft a C?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Which of these would you do if needed to draft Duren or Williams?

Trade #18 and Caruso
2%
Trade #18 and Ayo
5%
Trade #18 and Coby
93%

Total votes: 55

League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Would you give up Caruso, Ayo or Coby to move up and draft a C? 

Post#1 » by League Circles » Thu May 5, 2022 2:44 am

Looks like Jalen Duren and Mark Williams are the big men that would in theory make sense to try to get in the draft. Probably both are gone by 18 I think. I'd consider any of Caruso, Ayo or Coby along with 18 to move up and grab one of these guys.

What do you all think? Do you differentiate much between Duren and Williams? What about between the 3 Bulls guards I mention?

I wouldn't trade any of our starters so that kinda leaves Caruso, Ayo or Coby. Of those 3, I actually I'd part with Ayo first, Coby second and Caruso last. (I do think Ayo is currently a little better than Coby but I think Coby has as much or more potential and will prove to be a better, quicker 3 pt shooter which we really need. Coby is also Lavine injury (or walking in FA) insurance.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
dukeespn
Senior
And1: 506

Re: Would you give up Caruso, Ayo or Coby to move up and draft a C? 

Post#2 » by dukeespn » Thu May 5, 2022 2:56 am

I'd argue that Caruso is the most important player on defensive end (yes I think he's more crucial than Lonzo on defense) so I would not trade Caruso for a rookie center who hasn't proven anything in the league.

Coby's trade value is little-to-none. Other teams watch playoffs too and they must get the sense that Coby is not a good basketball player.

So the only option is to trade our #18 and Ayo. I don't mind giving up on Ayo so early if there's a really good draft prospect but that player doesn't need to be a center. Bulls still need a real star who can contribute on both ends of the floor and play well against top competition especially in the playoffs. Bulls also need as many wings as possible.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,145

Post#3 » by League Circles » Thu May 5, 2022 3:11 am

dukeespn wrote:I'd argue that Caruso is the most important player on defensive end (yes I think he's more crucial than Lonzo on defense) so I would not trade Caruso for a rookie center who hasn't proven anything in the league.

Coby's trade value is little-to-none. Other teams watch playoffs too and they must get the sense that Coby is not a good basketball player.

So the only option is to trade our #18 and Ayo. I don't mind giving up on Ayo so early if there's a really good draft prospect but that player doesn't need to be a center. Bulls still need a real star who can contribute on both ends of the floor and play well against top competition especially in the playoffs. Bulls also need as many wings as possible.

The chances that the Bulls get a 2 way star player in this draft is about one in a hundred. They literally have an entire team of wings. Their rotation was Vuc, Coby, and 8 wings.

I think Coby has some value. He's a talented 22 year old former #7 pick who has proven to have legit nba scoring ability. He may never become a good starter, but he's a nice flyer for a team for a year or two. I bet we could trade him straight up for roughly a #20 pick in the draft. I think he and #18 could get as us high as #12 or so.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,477

Post#4 » by DuckIII » Thu May 5, 2022 3:27 am

Coby landslide headed right this way.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
dukeespn
Senior
And1: 506

Post#5 » by dukeespn » Thu May 5, 2022 3:32 am

League Circles wrote:
dukeespn wrote:I'd argue that Caruso is the most important player on defensive end (yes I think he's more crucial than Lonzo on defense) so I would not trade Caruso for a rookie center who hasn't proven anything in the league.

The chances that the Bulls get a 2 way star player in this draft is about one in a hundred. They literally have an entire team of wings. Their rotation was Vuc, Coby, and 8 wings.

I think Coby has some value. He's a talented 22 year old former #7 pick who has proven to have legit nba scoring ability. He may never become a good starter, but he's a nice flyer for a team for a year or two. I bet we could trade him straight up for roughly a #20 pick in the draft. I think he and #18 could get as us high as #12 or so.

8 wings? You mean all of Green, TBJ, DJJ and Caruso are wing players? I would not call them wing players. And even if you argue that they are wings the hard truth is that Green, TBJ and DJJ can't contribute on the floor with their lack of offensive skills.

And Coby is not a talented player. He's just a shot-chucker who can't make shots while his defense hurts team defense very badly. His playoffs PER was 6.4 with terrible 44.5 TS% and yet you called him a "talented" 22-year-old. Plus nobody cares about the fact that he got selected with the 7th pick if his performance is that bad.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#6 » by Tetlak » Thu May 5, 2022 3:56 am

Trading Coby to move up in the draft for a big man doesn't fit our timeline. It takes bigs longer to develop.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#7 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Thu May 5, 2022 5:03 am

Not Caruso. And an Ayo trade would have to be like 10+ spots up
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,771

Post#8 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu May 5, 2022 5:06 am

I would not trade Caurso for a likely bust.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#9 » by PlayerUp » Thu May 5, 2022 5:16 am

I'd gladly trade all 3 to move up in the draft but my target would be the highest ceiling player possible, not to draft a center.
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Post#10 » by Tetlak » Thu May 5, 2022 5:24 am

PlayerUp wrote:I'd gladly trade all 3 to move up in the draft but my target would be the highest ceiling player possible, not to draft a center.

So you want to perpetually rebuild and tank?
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,771

Post#11 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu May 5, 2022 6:45 am

Tetlak wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:I'd gladly trade all 3 to move up in the draft but my target would be the highest ceiling player possible, not to draft a center.

So you want to perpetually rebuild and tank?

Obviously. To hell with being competitive and productive. Let’s just play the lottery literally.
Onibuh
Senior
And1: 217

Post#12 » by Onibuh » Thu May 5, 2022 7:07 am

I wouldn't trade up... just take the BPA.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,216

Post#13 » by Dan Z » Thu May 5, 2022 7:35 am

Onibuh wrote:I wouldn't trade up... just take the BPA.

I agree with this.

I don't think Coby, Caruso or Ayo move the Bulls up high enough to make it worth it.

I've said this before, but someone good will be available at #18. It's a matter of finding said player (most teams miss).

Tyrese Maxey was drafted #21, Butler was #30, Clint Capela #25, Robert Williams #27, Desmond Bane was #30, Brandon Clarke was #21, etc.
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#14 » by Jvaughn » Thu May 5, 2022 8:23 am

If I thought trading Coby would actually move us up, that would be one thing. That said, I'd gladly trade Coby for a 2nd rounder today.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,747

Post#15 » by Jeffster81 » Thu May 5, 2022 10:40 am

Ayo/Caruso plus 18 probably gets you in the 8-12 range. Looking at some mock drafts, there isn't a "big" worth taking at those spots. Coby might move you a couple of spots, but is it worth it though considering there is a solid chance a guy like Mark Williams could make it to 18?

I say stand pat.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,355

Post#16 » by pipfan » Thu May 5, 2022 12:48 pm

I would trade Coby for cap space. I HIGHLY doubt moving him could get us up, even one spot (without taking on a bad deal)
Keep Caruso and Ayo-no need to deal them
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,477

Post#17 » by DuckIII » Thu May 5, 2022 1:15 pm

Tetlak wrote:Trading Coby to move up in the draft for a big man doesn't fit our timeline. It takes bigs longer to develop.

Coby is not coming back. If you can find a trade for him that is beneficial in any way, you do it.

That said, his value is so trash that I doubt he actually moves the needle more than a couple of spots. In which case it might make more sense to keep him for later in the summer to have his contract to include for matching purposes in a more veteran-oriented trade.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,520

Post#18 » by Ice Man » Thu May 5, 2022 1:24 pm

Poor Coby. I used to like to compare him to Tyler Herro. Two non-defending scoring guards who can function as secondary playmakers, both good rebounders for their size. Each drafted in the same year.

Year 1

Coby 18.5 points per 36, 51% TS%
Tyler 17.7, 55%

Year 2

Coby 17.4, 54%
Tyler 17.9, 54%

And now look where they are!

A shame. Those players were largely indistinguishable entering the league, and for their first two years in the league. But we ended up with the dud and Miami the stud. Different development regimes? Or just who these guys are? Impossible to know. But I do know that the difference stings, for Bulls fans.
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,449

Post#19 » by LateNight » Thu May 5, 2022 1:50 pm

For mark williams? wouldn’t trade anyone to move up for him. But I think Coby will probably get traded this offseason
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#20 » by Lexluthor » Thu May 5, 2022 1:52 pm

I would trade any of those three guards to move up to the top 10 . Coby has been here three years and he is still inconsistent. It does not matter if he is starting or coming of the bench.Ayo played like a second round pick post all star break and in the playoffs. Caruso is just a role player that always gets injured.Bulls fans do overrate their players . I remember fans did not want to move up in the 2020draft because it would cost us Wendell Carter or Lauri Markkanen :banghead:

Return to Chicago Bulls