Image ImageImage Image

Medium Term Plan?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,654

Re: Medium Term Plan? 

Post#21 » by sco » Tue May 10, 2022 8:47 pm

MikeDC wrote:
sco wrote:
MikeDC wrote:It's probably worth considering that Zach's going to get paid no matter where he goes.

An undercurrent of the Bulls big offseason last summer was the need to improve to keep Zach. Otherwise, the thinking went, he might go sign somewhere else.

We aren't exactly contenders, so I don't think that rationale has gone away. If the Bulls don't continue to show a willingness to spend and take it to the next level, I don't see why Zach would want to stay.

I think the Bulls players (including Zach) are probably feeling decent about their roster. Ball's injury and Zach's had major impacts, and I think the team (not necessarily me) believes in Pat's potential. IMO, they are probably only down on Vuc and Coby.

How Zach feels about his current teammates is only part of it. It's possible to think "these guys are decent" and still think that doesn't signal "Bulls management and ownership is committed to pulling out all the stops to win a title".

IDK, Zach has gone on a great trajectory here in terms of national media attention and media endorsements. He's no better off in Por or LA, IMO in terms of a title. IMO, even if we offer a 4 year max, he's better off here. It might depend on how he feels about Billy that could drive him away or keep him here. He's had enough bad coaches over the years.
:clap:
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,410

Post#22 » by jnrjr79 » Tue May 10, 2022 8:58 pm

MikeDC wrote:
sco wrote:
MikeDC wrote:It's probably worth considering that Zach's going to get paid no matter where he goes.

An undercurrent of the Bulls big offseason last summer was the need to improve to keep Zach. Otherwise, the thinking went, he might go sign somewhere else.

We aren't exactly contenders, so I don't think that rationale has gone away. If the Bulls don't continue to show a willingness to spend and take it to the next level, I don't see why Zach would want to stay.

I think the Bulls players (including Zach) are probably feeling decent about their roster. Ball's injury and Zach's had major impacts, and I think the team (not necessarily me) believes in Pat's potential. IMO, they are probably only down on Vuc and Coby.

How Zach feels about his current teammates is only part of it. It's possible to think "these guys are decent" and still think that doesn't signal "Bulls management and ownership is committed to pulling out all the stops to win a title".

1) Zach's gonna get paid a lot, sure, but we all know the Bulls can make the best offer by a healthy margin. The Bulls can offer the 5th year and bigger raises. Is there any specific reason to believe Zach doesn't find that appealing (particularly the 5th year for a guy with knee issues)? I doubt he's the guy who is going to want the shorter deal to re-enter the market faster. All of his comments seem to suggest that he seems himself as a a player deserving of a full maximum contract and that's what he's hoping/expecting the Bulls to offer.

2) Just in terms of sequencing, if the Bulls offer Zach a 5-year max right out of the gate, he probably doesn't sit around and wait to see whatever moves they make.

Now, if you're suggesting that if the Bulls don't offer the full number or years or the full maximum salary that Zach may look around, I completely agree. But I haven't seen anything to suggest that Zach is going to hold off signing a max contract just to see if the Bulls make other roster tweaks to his satisfaction.
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#23 » by MikeDC » Tue May 10, 2022 11:46 pm

sco wrote:IDK, Zach has gone on a great trajectory here in terms of national media attention and media endorsements. He's no better off in Por or LA, IMO in terms of a title.

Let’s just take a step back here and admit that one year of moderate success is not going to completely erase the perceptions of the Bulls and the Reinsdorfs. They are in no way on the level of the Lakers or Clippers. I don’t know the perceptions of the Blazers since Allen died, but if Jeanie Buss gives her word that, you’re part of the Lakers family and we are going to take care of you like we do all our stars, and we’re going to do everything we can to win, that means something.

In short, the LA teams are at the high end of trustworthiness.

The Bulls… ha ha… no. We’re finally on the path to turning that around, but holy ****, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. If I’m Zach, “trust but verify” is in full effect.

Return to Chicago Bulls