Image ImageImage Image

AK finishes tied for 2nd in NBA Executive of the year award

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

AK finishes tied for 2nd in NBA Executive of the year award 

Post#1 » by MalagaBulls » Thu May 12, 2022 4:14 pm

He does deserve league wide kudos for turning around the franchise to a large degree, the Zach & Vuc debates notwithstanding.

Read on Twitter
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Re: AK finishes tied for 2nd in NBA Executive of the year award 

Post#2 » by meekrab » Thu May 12, 2022 4:19 pm

I don't understand, all the Grizzlies' FO did this year was acquire Steven Adams and get rid of Grayson Allen.

Simply being the GM when your promising young player becomes an MVP candidate shouldn't be enough to win Exec of the year.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,331

Post#3 » by pipfan » Thu May 12, 2022 4:30 pm

I had AKME to be unanimous for EoY at the ASB, but our slide changed things
Not sure on what Memphis did this year that was so special?
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,017

Post#4 » by FriedRise » Thu May 12, 2022 5:50 pm

From Reddit

Damn, didn't realize the gap between 1st and 2nd was THAT huge.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#5 » by MrSparkle » Thu May 12, 2022 6:02 pm

Eh probably a culmination of the 3 year build he’s had. Memphis has nailed every draft and trade since he arrived.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#6 » by kodo » Thu May 12, 2022 6:30 pm

2nd is a great place for him. AKME certainly didn't have a perfect season, the big man roster is anemic and they did nothing at the deadline. With those it's an easy 1st place, but 2nd is still phenomenal for this franchise. Major 180 from the previous years.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,134

Post#7 » by HomoSapien » Thu May 12, 2022 6:39 pm

He would've won it pretty easily if we didn't flame out, IMO.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,756

Post#8 » by Jcool0 » Thu May 12, 2022 8:07 pm

Zachary Kleiman is who i wanted the Bulls to hire but a year before Gar/Pax got fired he got prompted to be the top guy in Memphis. He grew up in Chicago and is/was a big Bulls fan.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,187

Post#9 » by Dan Z » Thu May 12, 2022 9:01 pm

Cleveland improved, but the Bulls had the better record. I'm also not sure if the moves Koby made for Markkanen and LaVert are all that great. AK should've at least been in 2nd (without a tie), but I'm biased.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#10 » by kodo » Fri May 13, 2022 1:07 am

The fact that AK came in 2nd also validates that most people thought the Bulls did extremely well relative to expectations.
It was mostly Chicago fans who saw this Bulls seasons as any kind of failure.
Muzbar
Starter
And1: 1,369

Post#11 » by Muzbar » Fri May 13, 2022 1:39 am

meekrab wrote:I don't understand, all the Grizzlies' FO did this year was acquire Steven Adams and get rid of Grayson Allen.

Simply being the GM when your promising young player becomes an MVP candidate shouldn't be enough to win Exec of the year.

That right there is reason enough to win.
Go Bulls... I guess!? Right!?
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#12 » by IamSam » Fri May 13, 2022 5:45 pm

MrSparkle wrote:Eh probably a culmination of the 3 year build he’s had. Memphis has nailed every draft and trade since he arrived.

If that's the case, perhaps the NBA should consider creating additional award categories. Why have an "Executive of the Year" if we are saying now that we are going to consider not only what happened in the previous season, but also what occurred even prior to that season? I could see how it might make sense to recognize executives and coaches across a few different types of situations. They could go with Exec of the year, exec of the demi-decade (roughly five years), and even Exec of the decade. With this, you could recognize execs that build dynasties while still rewarding the AKME scenario where a guy comes in and over an off-season, completely overhauls the team from a garbage dumpster to at least a highly competitive group.

No complaints about him tying for 2nd place though; I thought that was very appropriate.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#13 » by MrSparkle » Fri May 13, 2022 6:43 pm

IamSam wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Eh probably a culmination of the 3 year build he’s had. Memphis has nailed every draft and trade since he arrived.

If that's the case, perhaps the NBA should consider creating additional award categories. Why have an "Executive of the Year" if we are saying now that we are going to consider not only what happened in the previous season, but also what occurred even prior to that season? I could see how it might make sense to recognize executives and coaches across a few different types of situations. They could go with Exec of the year, exec of the demi-decade (roughly five years), and even Exec of the decade. With this, you could recognize execs that build dynasties while still rewarding the AKME scenario where a guy comes in and over an off-season, completely overhauls the team from a garbage dumpster to at least a highly competitive group.

No complaints about him tying for 2nd place though; I thought that was very appropriate.

I think AK would’ve won it if they continued a half-semblance of the early success. Fact is that 4 months were much worse than the first 2, and despite injuries, the play the latter half by Vuc, Zach and Demar was so bad that we’re left wondering if Artunas did actually make a blunder sending half our FRPs out for the next 6 years.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#14 » by Am2626 » Sat May 14, 2022 9:31 pm

meekrab wrote:I don't understand, all the Grizzlies' FO did this year was acquire Steven Adams and get rid of Grayson Allen.

Isn’t that how GarPax got Executive of the year? Yes I agree that riding someone’s coattails shouldn’t allow someone to get recognition.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,726

Post#15 » by TheSuzerain » Sat May 14, 2022 9:53 pm

It's more of a culmination of their moves over the years.

And you don't seem to realize how good the Grizz are outside of Morant.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,726

Post#16 » by TheSuzerain » Sat May 14, 2022 9:55 pm

Dan Z wrote:Cleveland improved, but the Bulls had the better record. I'm also not sure if the moves Koby made for Markkanen and LaVert are all that great. AK should've at least been in 2nd (without a tie), but I'm biased.

Did the Cavs mortgage a bunch of future picks to assemble their squad?

AK turned us respectable but emptied the coffers to do so.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,187

Post#17 » by Dan Z » Sat May 14, 2022 10:12 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
Dan Z wrote:Cleveland improved, but the Bulls had the better record. I'm also not sure if the moves Koby made for Markkanen and LaVert are all that great. AK should've at least been in 2nd (without a tie), but I'm biased.

Did the Cavs mortgage a bunch of future picks to assemble their squad?

AK turned us respectable but emptied the coffers to do so.

No, but what's the best move Cleveland made? Drafting Mobley? That was a no-brainer.

The Bulls acquire a few players that the league undervalued (DDR, Caruso, and Ball) which many people in the media panned. Then the team exceeded expectations. That's why AK got 2nd place.

I still think he did more than Koby did with Cleveland.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,844

Post#18 » by meekrab » Sat May 14, 2022 11:30 pm

Am2626 wrote:

Isn’t that how GarPax got Executive of the year? Yes I agree that riding someone’s coattails shouldn’t allow someone to get recognition.

I mean they kind of completely overhauled the roster that season. From Wikipedia:

In early June 2010, Boston Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau accepted a three-year contract to fill the Bulls' head coaching vacancy.[32] He was officially introduced on June 23.[33] On July 7, it was revealed that Carlos Boozer of the Utah Jazz had verbally agreed to an $80 million, five-year contract. Afterwards, the Bulls traded veteran point guard Kirk Hinrich to the Washington Wizards to create more cap space. The Bulls also signed former 76er and Jazz sharpshooter Kyle Korver to a three-year, $15 million contract. The same day that the Bulls signed Kyle Korver, they signed Turkish All-Star Ömer Aşık. After being matched by the Orlando Magic for J. J. Redick, they signed their third free agent from the Jazz in the off-season in shooting guard Ronnie Brewer, traded for former Warrior point guard C.J. Watson, and signed former Bucks power forward Kurt Thomas as well as former Spurs player Keith Bogans and former Celtic Brian Scalabrine.

Deng Rose Gibson and Noah were the only holdovers from the 2010 team. Completely different scenario from Memphis this year. :dontknow:
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#19 » by dice » Sun May 15, 2022 12:02 am

kodo wrote:2nd is a great place for him. AKME certainly didn't have a perfect season, the big man roster is anemic and they did nothing at the deadline. With those it's an easy 1st place, but 2nd is still phenomenal for this franchise. Major 180 from the previous years.

it's basically the memphis GM and then nobody knew who else to vote for. artie could have just as easily finished outside of the top 5. and frankly, the most thought most voters probably put into it is how much the team improved from the prior season. ignoring the future cost
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#20 » by dice » Sun May 15, 2022 12:09 am

meekrab wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

I mean they kind of completely overhauled the roster that season. From Wikipedia:

In early June 2010, Boston Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau accepted a three-year contract to fill the Bulls' head coaching vacancy.[32] He was officially introduced on June 23.[33] On July 7, it was revealed that Carlos Boozer of the Utah Jazz had verbally agreed to an $80 million, five-year contract. Afterwards, the Bulls traded veteran point guard Kirk Hinrich to the Washington Wizards to create more cap space. The Bulls also signed former 76er and Jazz sharpshooter Kyle Korver to a three-year, $15 million contract. The same day that the Bulls signed Kyle Korver, they signed Turkish All-Star Ömer Aşık. After being matched by the Orlando Magic for J. J. Redick, they signed their third free agent from the Jazz in the off-season in shooting guard Ronnie Brewer, traded for former Warrior point guard C.J. Watson, and signed former Bucks power forward Kurt Thomas as well as former Spurs player Keith Bogans and former Celtic Brian Scalabrine.

Deng Rose Gibson and Noah were the only holdovers from the 2010 team. Completely different scenario from Memphis this year. :dontknow:

the thibs hire was the most significant positive move made that offseason, but it was reportedly JR who was behind that. here's what garpax did that offseason:

1) created a lot of cap space to go after lebron and predictably failed to sign him
2) used much of that cap space to sign a huge bust in boozer
3) signed a big disappointment in watson
4) signed minor disappointments in brewer and korver

asik was a solid backup center as a rookie to round out the "bench mob", but he was drafted 2 years earlier before gar took over and only played 12 minutes a game
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged

Return to Chicago Bulls