Image ImageImage Image

OT: Shooting near the Bean, Lightfoot enacting weekend curfew on Unaccompanied Teens 16 or younger

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,153

Re: OT: Shooting near the Bean, Lightfoot enacting weekend curfew on Unaccompanied Teens 16 or younger 

Post#141 » by League Circles » Wed May 18, 2022 3:54 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
The bolded part is what a social safety net is. Maybe we're talking past each other with the use of that term?

And social safety net is a concept distinct from overall wealth/GDP. The US is a very wealthy country, but its poorest people have a lot less protection in terms of basic housing, income, health care, etc. than other places. And I don't think it's controversial to say that if you don't have a roof over your head, have a substance abuse or mental health problem and can't afford treatment, or become bankrupt due to medical debt, that those things tend to increase the chance that you may participate in crime.

I don't really agree that US citizens have a lot less protection in terms of those things than "other places". Than some? Of course, both above and below us in crime rates. But again, most people in the world live in places with less crime, much less protection from the government, and much less income. The idea that China, where they essentially have concentration camps and a very low standard of living compared to the US for most of the enormous population, protects it's citizens more than we do, is astounding to me.

The things you mention would surely affect someone's willingness to engage in crime. As would, of course, the level of punishment, dishonor and social rejection that result from commiting crimes, including the risk of being unjustly sentenced etc. In the US, we actively glorify crime and provide many social and legal second chances, so wise people aren't all THAT afraid of committing crimes here. In many places, committing crime is a very serious risk to permanently end your life as you know it, because they simply don't **** around.

A social safety net that, for example, theoretically makes sure that everyone has one cup of rice and one egg per day and a 2 room apartment for 8 people is functionally inferior, IMO, to a social safety net like we have, where in theory not all people are entitled to those things, but where the defacto level of actual typical support and protection is wildly higher, via public and private sources.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
League Circles
RealGM

Re: OT: Shooting near the Bean, Lightfoot enacting weekend curfew on Unaccompanied Teens 16 or younger 

Post#142 » by League Circles » Wed May 18, 2022 4:02 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
League Circles wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Incentivizing people to remain in marriages with the benefits they need to survive would literally get women killed. It’s an awful idea for a host of reasons, but that’s close to the top of the list.

Again, many or most single parent familes were never 2 parent families to begin with, and didn't fail to become 2 parent families due to violence.

It's the public policy removal of the fundamental need to pool resources and contributions that lets so many people believe that there is no necessity in raising a child together, and therefore choose to do so. Historically and biologically, that's anti-science IMO. Most people throughout history have lived in great fear of the natural world, which can gyide behavior in a virtuous way. We're trying to remove that fear via public policy, but ignoring or denying the consequences IMO.

“Historically and biologically, that’s anti-science.”

No.

There are plenty of other successful familial constructs throughout the world. There are plenty of other successful familial constructs right here in this country. Two-partner marriage is largely a Christian value that already has plenty of social and financial advantages in our culture. The one you’re proposing is cruel and relies on outdated assumptions about criminality.

Show me the data that indicates that one parent raising a child alone, while the other parent lives elsewhere and contributes nothing, yields outcomes for juvenile delinquency that don't differ from 2 parent families.

I'm not christian and haven't been discussing marriage.

I don't know what you think I'm proposing. I haven't really proposed anything.

It's pretty simple and straightforward - when parents team up, there is twice as much potential parental guidance for a child, and larger economic resources available, because one household is less costly than 2 households. In most of the world for most of history, people have lived in constant awareness of that fact because survival was difficult and far from a given. We're trying our best as a civilization to remove fear of the difficulty of survival. It's no surpise that so very many immigrants come here and live better lives than natives. They've developed differently.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#143 » by jnrjr79 » Wed May 18, 2022 4:06 pm

League Circles wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
The bolded part is what a social safety net is. Maybe we're talking past each other with the use of that term?

And social safety net is a concept distinct from overall wealth/GDP. The US is a very wealthy country, but its poorest people have a lot less protection in terms of basic housing, income, health care, etc. than other places. And I don't think it's controversial to say that if you don't have a roof over your head, have a substance abuse or mental health problem and can't afford treatment, or become bankrupt due to medical debt, that those things tend to increase the chance that you may participate in crime.

I don't really agree that US citizens have a lot less protection in terms of those things than "other places". Than some? Of course, both above and below us in crime rates. But again, most people in the world live in places with less crime, much less protection from the government, and much less income. The idea that China, where they essentially have concentration camps and a very low standard of living compared to the US for most of the enormous population, protects it's citizens more than we do, is astounding to me.

The things you mention would surely affect someone's willingness to engage in crime. As would, of course, the level of punishment, dishonor and social rejection that result from commiting crimes, including the risk of being unjustly sentenced etc. In the US, we actively glorify crime and provide many social and legal second chances, so wise people aren't all THAT afraid of committing crimes here. In many places, committing crime is a very serious risk to permanently end your life as you know it, because they simply don't **** around.

A social safety net that, for example, theoretically makes sure that everyone has one cup of rice and one egg per day and a 2 room apartment for 8 people is functionally inferior, IMO, to a social safety net like we have, where in theory not all people are entitled to those things, but where the defacto level of actual typical support and protection is wildly higher, via public and private sources.

This isn't really a productive conversation b/c you're conflating the concepts of social safety net with standard of living.

The CCP is obviously an evil regime; Chinese citizens have a higher social safety net; Chinese people on the whole have a lower standard of living than Americans.

All of these things are true.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#144 » by League Circles » Wed May 18, 2022 4:21 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
League Circles wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

This isn't really a productive conversation b/c you're conflating the concepts of social safety net with standard of living.

The CCP is obviously an evil regime; Chinese citizens have a higher social safety net; Chinese people on the whole have a lower standard of living than Americans.

All of these things are true.

I think you may be conflating nominal political philosophy of governance with measurable safety net. Obviously there won't be one metric that we can all agree on, but I think it's very, very debatable that China has a higher social safety net than us. I'm open to consider any evidence or elaboration though. For example is clean air and water standards part of the social safety net? Do new construction high quality housing projects get mandated subsidized units for low income people in China like they often do here? Can you get a liver transplant for free in China after abusing yours for your whole life? I truly don't know the answers to all these questions, but perhaps you're taking some of the answers for granted in an inaccurate way. Though as we both agree a lot of it may come down to definitions and semantics. I know I'd for sure rather be among the poorest in the US than in China.
ShouldaPaidBG
Junior
And1: 183

Post#145 » by ShouldaPaidBG » Wed May 18, 2022 11:43 pm

League Circles wrote:I think you may be conflating nominal political philosophy of governance with measurable safety net. Obviously there won't be one metric that we can all agree on, but I think it's very, very debatable that China has a higher social safety net than us. I'm open to consider any evidence or elaboration though. For example is clean air and water standards part of the social safety net? Do new construction high quality housing projects get mandated subsidized units for low income people in China like they often do here? Can you get a liver transplant for free in China after abusing yours for your whole life? I truly don't know the answers to all these questions, but perhaps you're taking some of the answers for granted in an inaccurate way. Though as we both agree a lot of it may come down to definitions and semantics. I know I'd for sure rather be among the poorest in the US than in China.

ShouldaPaidBG
Junior
And1: 183

Post#146 » by ShouldaPaidBG » Wed May 18, 2022 11:45 pm

The US has a higher % of its population below 10k than China.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#147 » by panthermark » Sun May 22, 2022 5:57 pm

I'm fine with curfews. Would want them even stricter.
Lightfoot of Fox are awful, but they are only a small portion of the problem.
I only go to the city about 3 times a year. Took the train in yesterday just to bum around for an hour and 20 minutes or so. (express in, express out). First time I've taken the train into the city in +3 years.
I was born in Chicago....but....it sucks. (Illinois sucks for that matter)

There is a broken internal mentality that has continued to spiral out of control generation after generation. There is no external fix, it has to come from within, and it will start when we stop idolizing all of the worst characteristics of human nature.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#148 » by dice » Sun May 22, 2022 6:11 pm

ShouldaPaidBG wrote:The US has a higher % of its population below 10k than China.

i'm guessing that more americans spend every penny they have as a result of our consumer culture. and they would feel more comfortable doing so if they have a more robust safety net, as i'm guessing we do as compared to china
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Post#149 » by TheSuzerain » Mon May 23, 2022 5:08 pm

dice wrote:
ShouldaPaidBG wrote:The US has a higher % of its population below 10k than China.

i'm guessing that more americans spend every penny they have as a result of our consumer culture. and they would feel more comfortable doing so if they have a more robust safety net, as i'm guessing we do as compared to china

Some real deep analysis here lol
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#150 » by jnrjr79 » Mon May 23, 2022 5:26 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
dice wrote:

Funny thing about this is due to COVID stimulus, we actually know that when the government increases the social safety net, savings rates in the US increase markedly.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/26/stimulus-checks-sent-personal-savings-rate-soaring-in-january.html
dice
RealGM

Post#151 » by dice » Mon May 23, 2022 11:07 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
dice wrote:

???
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#152 » by dice » Mon May 23, 2022 11:10 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
dice wrote:i'm guessing that more americans spend every penny they have as a result of our consumer culture. and they would feel more comfortable doing so if they have a more robust safety net, as i'm guessing we do as compared to china

Funny thing about this is due to COVID stimulus, we actually know that when the government increases the social safety net, savings rates in the US increase markedly.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/26/stimulus-checks-sent-personal-savings-rate-soaring-in-january.html

temporarily, sure. that's pretty obvious. poor people don't immediately spend their windfall on drugs and such like many right wingers (and even joe manchin) love to suggest
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Post#153 » by TheSuzerain » Mon May 23, 2022 11:41 pm

dice wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
dice wrote:i'm guessing that more americans spend every penny they have as a result of our consumer culture. and they would feel more comfortable doing so if they have a more robust safety net, as i'm guessing we do as compared to china

???

It reads like if a C high school student was called on in economics class.
dice
RealGM

Post#154 » by dice » Mon May 23, 2022 11:43 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
dice wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Some real deep analysis here lol

???

It reads like if a C high school student was called on in economics class.

yes, i used "i'm guessing" twice in a short post. had i read over it a second time like i usually do it would have been a tad more eloquent. but i was merely speculating, not writing a thesis. as many in this thread have done. even a C student should've been able to figure that much out. there was no homework assignment that i failed to complete

you're plainly in the wrong place if you were expecting deep economic analysis. and foolish given that that seems to be the case

p.s.: nobody who uses 'lol' should be critiquing much of anything
WookieOnRitalin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 270

Post#155 » by WookieOnRitalin » Sat May 28, 2022 2:27 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Dominater wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
I’m not the one who said if parents were better no one would need police. Just pointing out the absurdity of such an extreme statement, not because I think good parenting doesn’t matter to crime rates.

Ok maybe not none! But a hell of a lot less

Look, I absolutely agree there is a strong correlation between environment and criminal behavior and that the quality of parenting is in turn a significant percentage of that environmental influence. But bad parents produce amazing children and amazing parents produce awful children. And those aren’t extremely rare exceptions either.

I mean, I was raised in a stable, middle class, Christian, two parent household. My parents had an exemplary relationship, openly loving towards each other and to their kids. Fair discipline, enthusiastic and active support in my interests, you name it. I spent my entire 30s and early 40s as an alcoholic, and the last few years a shockingly chronic one. I can’t even count how many times I drove over the legal limit and I’m ashamed of it still. Thankfully I never injured or killed anyone. I’m sober now over 4 years. But I did that. I did all that. That behavior wasn’t a product of my environment. It was a product of me.

Point being, in our present manner of debate people tend to take shortcuts to extreme opinions or just jump to assumptions. But all of these issues of culture, crime, parenting and socioeconomics are extremely complicated on both and macro and micro level.

We’ll never really get anywhere without both sides of these issues recognizing that each of those sides has some elements to them that are perfectly valid and warrant attention.

Not an assumption or a sound bite or a reductionist idea.

First, I want to applaud an intelligent, well thought out reply as you know I am a proponent of such nuanced conversation. As you highlight, the success or lack of success of individual can be dictated by a variety of variables (some which you have listed).

Second, unfortunately, statistics do not support this idea of equal outcomes for children raised in two parent households vs single parent households. Statistics firmly conclude the being raised in a two parent household leads to better outcome for children across the board. Pick a metric. They do better on average.

Since 1960, the amount of single motherhood has jumped from 8.0% to 23.1% (US Census). This is supposed to be a good thing? Explain why this is a positive trend in society.

In contrast, single fatherhood homes have jumped from 1.1% to 3.7%. So there are significantly less fathers raising children by themselves than mothers.

The reason for supporting the notion of two parent households are fairly obvious.

Now as I list some of these examples, let's conclude one thing that we both agree on. Under no circumstance should a person who is being abused by a significant other be forced to stay in such a relationship. Almost everybody agrees that this is an intolerable situation and should allow for the abused spouse to successfully leave the home. High conflict homes/marriages also have disastrous results on children. With that conceit, let's investigate why single parent (primarily single mother homes) are not as successful as two parent households.

1: Resources. Parents can split time. Two incomes can create more wealth. It is easier to produce and allocate resources with two parents as opposed to one. These resources can be utilized in a variety of ways.

2: Children from two parent households are less likely to end up in poverty by up to 82% (perhaps one of the socioeconomic factors that influences crime?). 57% of children living in two parent households were living at 200% above the poverty line while only 21% of single parent households (Pew Research).

3: Children from two parent households have higher graduation rates leading to better jobs, opportunities, and careers and consequently leads to less unemployment rates (again factors that can lead to increased crime). (numerous studies)

4: Children living in two parent households have physically healthier lives by 20-30% (Dawson). Consequently, 50% of children following divorce will development physical problems.

5: Children from two parent households have better verbal reasoning than single parent households (Kinnard and Reinherz).

6: Children from two parent households are more likely to experience academic achievement (Manning and Lamb).

7: 37.1% of Single Parent households live in poverty compared to 6.8% of two parent homes. That's OVER one third. Arguably, the greatest weapon against childhood poverty is two parent households.

8: 17.4 million children in the US are being raised without fathers and almost 50% of them are living in poverty. This is not a problem? Explain.

9: By comparison only 21% of children living in single father homes live in poverty compared to single mother homes and are more likely to have a cohabiting partner (41% vs 16%).

We are really going to conclude with straight faces that there is the majority of crime committed is not related to poverty? I do not want to take the time to debunk that claim, but it should stand on its own weight of just general assumption (again, violent crime).

If you want better results, we need to reconsider how much welfare programs are helping children. Statistically, if they perpetuate single parent households, it is leading to less successful outcomes compared to two parent households and its not even close. I submit that if we want to produce better citizens, less crime, and better outcomes we need to find ways to keep parents together.

I continually support any continued conversation in this regard.

Side note: I did not bring in other variables such as race/ethnicity, but a lot of these statistics deviate when you account for additional factors and it highlights significant problems within certain communities.
"As you think, so shall you become." --- Bruce Lee
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,582

Post#156 » by DuckIII » Sun May 29, 2022 1:37 pm

Wookie I was only commenting on over-generalized or black/white notions regarding parenting or, more concerning, advocating for social support services that effectively require two adults to cohabitate.

I don’t dispute at all that when it comes to what is better for children and society, a healthy two parent household with adequate financial resources is vastly superior as a general matter to single parent households with inadequate financial resources. I can’t imagine anyone making a credible argument to the contrary.

I’m a firm believer in the power of the traditional nuclear family. I have three kids in public schools and as a rural American don’t live in a “wealthy” community. In small communities like mine you interact directly, both as a child and as an adult, with people and families across the spectrum of wealth/poverty and family constructs. Admittedly, it’s not diverse in really any other way (about 90% white, virtually entirely Christian and about 70% non-moderate Republican). But I see up close and personal how different environments impact outcomes as a general matter. I’m very active in coaching a variety of youth athletics and my wife is a public school teacher. So we both deal directly with the kids and parents of my area.

Point being your data is consistent with my experience as well. I do not dispute at all that a stable two parent household is, as a general matter, the ideal.

Where and how that impacts legislation though is a much different question.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
WookieOnRitalin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by WookieOnRitalin » Sun May 29, 2022 5:17 pm

DuckIII wrote:Wookie I was only commenting on over-generalized or black/white notions regarding parenting or, more concerning, advocating for social support services that effectively require two adults to cohabitate.

I don’t dispute at all that when it comes to what is better for children and society, a healthy two parent household with adequate financial resources is vastly superior as a general matter to single parent households with inadequate financial resources. I can’t imagine anyone making a credible argument to the contrary.

I’m a firm believer in the power of the traditional nuclear family. I have three kids in public schools and as a rural American don’t live in a “wealthy” community. In small communities like mine you interact directly, both as a child and as an adult, with people and families across the spectrum of wealth/poverty and family constructs. Admittedly, it’s not diverse in really any other way (about 90% white, virtually entirely Christian and about 70% non-moderate Republican). But I see up close and personal how different environments impact outcomes as a general matter. I’m very active in coaching a verity of youth athletics and my wife is a public school teacher. So we both deal directly with the kids and parents of my area.

Point being your data is consistent with my experience as well. I do not dispute at all that a stable two parent household is, as a general matter, the ideal.

I appreciate the work you are doing in your own life, your own family, and your own community. That's citizenship. I love reading stories like that.

With regards to legislation, we have to consider what law, policies, and interventions are on the books and whether or not it is leading to a positive result.

We can only monitor the data and evaluate the results. If we do not use objective measures to highlight the objective reality, then we are all bigots, racists, and fascists because then the subjective reality of "my truth" is the predominating force behind public policy which I am vehemently in disagreement.

Subsidizing bad choices and bad behavior is a recipe for poor results and the data proves it. We need to do something different because the current system is broken and ineffective. Unfortunately more simple truths are difficult to handle and our public policies are creating and perpetuating the violence. If we do not see that then we are bound to see more escalation of that violence until more than just a few people are dying.

If you increase fatherhood in the home, crime goes down. It is that simple. Why this eludes most people is incredible and why it is not a significant factor in how we address crime in this country then the people who are selling you opposing policies are clearly focusing on an agenda with motives that does not focus on real solutions. We should be creating more reasons for fathers to be in homes as a matter of public policy.
dice
RealGM

Post#158 » by dice » Mon May 30, 2022 12:46 am

WookieOnRitalin wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Wookie I was only commenting on over-generalized or black/white notions regarding parenting or, more concerning, advocating for social support services that effectively require two adults to cohabitate.

I’m a firm believer in the power of the traditional nuclear family. I have three kids in public schools and as a rural American don’t live in a “wealthy” community. In small communities like mine you interact directly, both as a child and as an adult, with people and families across the spectrum of wealth/poverty and family constructs. Admittedly, it’s not diverse in really any other way (about 90% white, virtually entirely Christian and about 70% non-moderate Republican). But I see up close and personal how different environments impact outcomes as a general matter. I’m very active in coaching a verity of youth athletics and my wife is a public school teacher. So we both deal directly with the kids and parents of my area.

I appreciate the work you are doing in your own life, your own family, and your own community. That's citizenship. I love reading stories like that.

With regards to legislation, we have to consider what law, policies, and interventions are on the books and whether or not it is leading to a positive result.

We can only monitor the data and evaluate the results. If we do not use objective measures to highlight the objective reality, then we are all bigots, racists, and fascists because then the subjective reality of "my truth" is the predominating force behind public policy which I am vehemently in disagreement.

Subsidizing bad choices and bad behavior is a recipe for poor results and the data proves it. We need to do something different because the current system is broken and ineffective. Unfortunately more simple truths are difficult to handle and our public policies are creating and perpetuating the violence. If we do not see that then we are bound to see more escalation of that violence until more than just a few people are dying.

If you increase fatherhood in the home, crime goes down. It is that simple. Why this eludes most people is incredible and why it is not a significant factor in how we address crime in this country then the people who are selling you opposing policies are clearly focusing on an agenda with motives that does not focus on real solutions. We should be creating more reasons for fathers to be in homes as a matter of public policy.

one should be neither financially incentivized nor dis-incentivized to be in a relationship

and child subsidies are exactly that: they are for the child. their availability and/or amount should not be determined by factoring in whether to reward or punish the parent(s). to punish a single mother whose baby daddy left her or was killed is vile

there are unfortunately many women who desire a baby but not a relationship with the father. and many more men who are simply irresponsible. that is shameful. but it is also none of the government's business
WookieOnRitalin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#159 » by WookieOnRitalin » Mon May 30, 2022 2:50 am

dice wrote:one should be neither financially incentivized nor dis-incentivized to be in a relationship

and child subsidies are exactly that: they are for the child. their availability and/or amount should not be determined by factoring in whether to reward or punish the parent(s). to punish a single mother whose baby daddy left her or was killed is vile

there are unfortunately many women who desire a baby but not a relationship with the father. and many more men who are simply irresponsible. that is shameful. but it is also none of the government's business

Well, if you care about the well being of children, then yes, we should incentivize those behaviors that lead to the best outcome for children. Statistically speaking, fathers in the home reduces crime and produces better outcomes for children.

This is not about punishing. This is about the reality is that the system is not working and producing poor results which should encourage us to try a different strategy as a society.

If you reduce single motherhood, you will likely have better results. That should be our goal. Part of that may evaluate the systems built that perpetuate that state. I think it is fair to do such an assessment and if we are truly assessing it, then it is clear that single motherhood is a broken system.
dice
RealGM

Post#160 » by dice » Mon May 30, 2022 5:24 am

WookieOnRitalin wrote:
dice wrote:one should be neither financially incentivized nor dis-incentivized to be in a relationship

Well, if you care about the well being of children, then yes, we should incentivize those behaviors that lead to the best outcome for children. Statistically speaking, fathers in the home reduces crime and produces better outcomes for children.

we cannot reasonably incentivize fathers to stay in the home. do you not understand that? nor should that be the government's role. it's social engineering. which is highly unethical

This is not about punishing. This is about the reality is that the system is not working and producing poor results which should encourage us to try a different strategy as a society.

yes. as a society. not the government. the government has zero ability to do anything about reducing single motherhood other than withhold assistance or force sterilizations, which only results in more harm to women and children as well as encouraging more abortions. that is what your desire to dabble in social engineering would result in

additionally, the research is quite clear: higher rates of government assistance do NOT cause an increase in single motherhood. the percentage of children living in single parent households peaked around 20 years ago. the welfare state has not declined in the interim. rather it has continued to expand

Return to Chicago Bulls