Image ImageImage Image

Shams: NBA/Silver want in season tournament for 23/24 season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,681

Re: Shams: NBA/Silver want in season tournament for 23/24 season 

Post#41 » by madvillian » Thu May 19, 2022 4:23 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Ice Man wrote:I dunno .. are teams trying that *hard* to make the play-in? I will grant that some of the games have been good, that is fair. They are junk food, but junk food can be tasty.

I think some teams are trying hard to make it, like if you thought you were good but had some early injuries, or if you're a young team. I also like a bit of the 1 and done atmosphere in an NBA game, gives guys in that game, especially if you have a young team, a taste of real pressure.

I'm not going to pretend a 9/10 team is going to win the title, probably not in my life time, but overall, I think it's been a positive change.

I think it's been neutral and maybe even a bit worse than previous. I don't really see what's compelling about a sub .500 team playing a slightly better (and still around .500) club for the right to get slaughtered in the next round. IMO it waters down the playoffs without significantly changing the tenor of the regular season enough.

It's more games though and that means more ticket sales and more revenue so I doubt it will change.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#42 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu May 19, 2022 4:46 pm

coldfish wrote:I follow the premier league and have a different perspective on this. The in season tournaments for european soccer don't have the same value as winning the season title but it definitely changes things up. Beyond that, it means that more fans get to say their team actually did something as opposed to now where roughly 75% of the NBA is 1 and out at best.

Beyond that, the current season is just too long and teams don't take a lot of it seriously. If the NBA reduces the season length by 10 games and adds an in season tournament, I think it adds some value while giving rest to most of the league.

If it was up to me, I would give 3 trophies:
- Regular season champion (most wins)
- Postseason champion
- In season tournament champion

It will take americans a decade or so to get used to but the improvement in fan involvement from being able to celebrate 3 trophies is significant and teams that "win the treble" will be legendary.

I would also split the league into two divisions (and upper and a lower) and have relegation/promotion. Good bye tanking and it would put huge financial stress on owners like the Reinsdorfs who are content with mediocrity. That's another thread though.

Great post.

A couple of somewhat minor additional benefits I haven't seen mentioned yet (did a quick glance).

I would imagine this tournament would take place a week or two before the trade deadline. It will likely be used as a litmus test for front offices on where they stand, and could ramp up the trade chatter.

We always talk about the importance of playoff experience for young players, this would be another opportunity for young guys to get a sense of what the intensity can be like. Wouldnt get so many 'deer in headlights' from young players for the actual playoffs.

Just give a 1 million dollar bonus to each player on the winning team. Even the high end guys will play a bit harder because they have teammates making the minimum.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#43 » by kodo » Thu May 19, 2022 5:35 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:I would imagine this tournament would take place a week or two before the trade deadline. It will likely be used as a litmus test for front offices on where they stand, and could ramp up the trade chatter.

I doubt it would happen near the trade deadline because we already have the ASG to generate interest at that time. Ultimately this is about improving ratings, not about what makes sense from a basketball standpoint.

This is an old tweet from Woj last year but back then they were saying December. That would make sense because it's past the initial excitement of a new season and still far away from the ASG, and post ASG you have seeding and then the playoffs.

Read on Twitter
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#44 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu May 19, 2022 6:26 pm

kodo wrote:
Chicago-Bull-E wrote:I would imagine this tournament would take place a week or two before the trade deadline. It will likely be used as a litmus test for front offices on where they stand, and could ramp up the trade chatter.

I doubt it would happen near the trade deadline because we already have the ASG to generate interest at that time. Ultimately this is about improving ratings, not about what makes sense from a basketball standpoint.

This is an old tweet from Woj last year but back then they were saying December. That would make sense because it's past the initial excitement of a new season and still far away from the ASG, and post ASG you have seeding and then the playoffs.

Read on Twitter

Fair enough, but I don't think the distance between the two dates is as important as it is that the tournament happens before the trade deadline to maybe realign some front office's thoughts on their teams.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,624

Post#45 » by dougthonus » Thu May 19, 2022 7:03 pm

madvillian wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Ice Man wrote:I dunno .. are teams trying that *hard* to make the play-in? I will grant that some of the games have been good, that is fair. They are junk food, but junk food can be tasty.

I think some teams are trying hard to make it, like if you thought you were good but had some early injuries, or if you're a young team. I also like a bit of the 1 and done atmosphere in an NBA game, gives guys in that game, especially if you have a young team, a taste of real pressure.

I'm not going to pretend a 9/10 team is going to win the title, probably not in my life time, but overall, I think it's been a positive change.

I think it's been neutral and maybe even a bit worse than previous. I don't really see what's compelling about a sub .500 team playing a slightly better (and still around .500) club for the right to get slaughtered in the next round. IMO it waters down the playoffs without significantly changing the tenor of the regular season enough.

It's more games though and that means more ticket sales and more revenue so I doubt it will change.

How is the playoffs watered down? Because possibly the 9/10 seed can beat the loser of the 7/8 seed and get in instead? Generally speaking, it's more likely that team is going to put up a better fight than the team they replaced, there are no additional rounds or anything. The 1/2 seeds slaughter the 7/8s on a routine basis anyway.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,681

Post#46 » by madvillian » Thu May 19, 2022 8:18 pm

Doug, I hate the comment nesting that clutters the page and I wish I could tag you so I will just say this: I preferred the only 5 game 1st rounds. I don't think there's much more to it than that. The NBA is a long ass season and even as a pretty tuned in fan I find myself having a hard time caring about the 1st round matchups.

I just want to get to the center of the lollipop (conference finals) as quickly as possible. I know I'm on a dead topic here as we're never going back to 5 game 1st rounds but I will yell at the clouds anyway. I think "watered down" was the wrong phrase, maybe more like it's just a different kinda of filler but is still filler.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.

Return to Chicago Bulls