Image ImageImage Image

Zach with a couple major TV spots

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Zach with a couple major TV spots 

Post#1 » by dougthonus » Thu May 19, 2022 12:41 pm

I know this is old, and I don't recall it ever being talked about before, but this is the first time I remember Zach really being in a couple of major TV Spots.

He's got the Mountain Dew one and the CarMax one. The Mountain Dew one is awesome, though a bit of a rip off of the Hulu has live sports style commercials (which are also awesome). The Carmax one is fine, but nothing too special.

Anyway, curious if Zach being in Chicago is a big part of getting these types of opportunities or if it is just his rise as a player.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,452

Re: Zach with a couple major TV spots 

Post#2 » by LateNight » Thu May 19, 2022 1:06 pm

I would guess it has more to do with him being with Klutch than being in Chicago.

But i guess it could. The city has a lot of ad agencies

He’s also an All Star now, which probably contributes.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#3 » by FriedRise » Thu May 19, 2022 1:14 pm

He also did one for a movie, the King's Man when it came out a year ago.

He's a young, explosive All Star playing for one of the most recognizable sports franchises in the world with a face like that. Dude's marketable, it just makes sense!

I assume he'll do another one for New Balance when his signature shoes come out.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#4 » by dougthonus » Fri May 20, 2022 12:44 pm

LateNight wrote:I would guess it has more to do with him being with Klutch than being in Chicago.

Absolutely Chicago isn't the MAIN things. Zach's performance as an all-star is the main thing, but I'm curious if it is part of the thing, because he's still sort of a fringe all-star.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 741

Post#5 » by Hold That » Fri May 20, 2022 1:20 pm

I think it’s more to about being a star in Chicago. Being a star in a large market goes towards the influence you might have in that market.

There’s other Klutch athletes not being afforded those opportunities.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#6 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:30 pm

careful of the tulips!

It's not as good as Stephs "We Close at 9 Wordell" - but if they get him in a few more CarMax spots it would be cool and could seriously grow his image.

He did a couple of Sonic commercials too a few years ago that were funny.

They should do a remake of the Pippen Mr Sub commercial!

Needs to latch on with a crypto company.

Aypo and Coby are killing it to with that Zenni ad.
The Howard Ainken spots with Ayo are great too.

Basketball players so much more marketable than NFL and MLB.
We're used to their face and the guys are out there running around in their underwear practically.

I wonder if DeMar is just a NO or gets no offers....
Hold That
RealGM

Post#7 » by Hold That » Fri May 20, 2022 1:42 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:careful of the tulips!

It's not as good as Stephs "We Close at 9 Wordell" - but if they get him in a few more CarMax spots it would be cool and could seriously grow his image.

We're used to their face and the guys are out there running around in their underwear practically.

I think marketability for NBA athletes goes beyond just seeing their face more in their sports. Longevity of the average star in their sport plays a factor. We can’t see the QB face but the average QB has a longer chance of being around than the star WR or RB or defensive player. An average QB will get a boatload of endorsement deals because of this and they aren’t even the best player on their team. (Baker Mayfield vs Myles Garret)

Also how the NBA markets their product vs how other leagues market. It’s no secret the NBA markets individual talent over the actual teams, this also makes it easier for companies to choose NBA players because they’ve already been marketed by their league already.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#8 » by FriedRise » Fri May 20, 2022 2:10 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:I wonder if DeMar is just a NO or gets no offers....

Nothing recent, but he had a bunch when he was in Toronto

Hold That
RealGM

Post#9 » by Hold That » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:10 pm

I think all the credit goes to being in Chicago. For example if Zach and Donovan Mitchell were to switch markets we’d be seeing Mitchell on TV instead of Zach.

Another example is that you can argue that Anthony Edwards and Towns are both better than Zach but play in a smaller market with fewer opportunities.

I think the prerequisite is obtaining “All-Star” status first and the sponsors will offer those big endorsement deals to the ones in the large market. And if you’re an all star in a small market I notice national endorsement deals only go to MVP candidates(Ja Morant and Lebron in CLEV). I believe the idea behind that is a lot of NBA MVP candidates outshine their markets because the entire league is on notice at that point.

AD was hardly ever on TV and soon as he was traded to LA he immediately got a ruffles deal and a boatload of other deals.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,431

Post#10 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:47 pm

There is no doubt that Klutch has a lot to do with this though. They know marketing if nothing else. Zach was a max client before joining Klutch last year, it was forgone at that point he was getting it because Chicago had to keep him or someone else would pay, so they were no added value to that, yet they add value in all the side money. The Shoe deal, the commercials, more exposure etc... that is where Klutch serves their bigger name clients. The smaller guys like a THT, they can milk more money, but a guy like Zach they can maximize.

There is no doubt that being in Chicago is also a plus value. Brand recognition is huge as is market size. What did Rose get from Adidas something like 225 Million? A lot of that was because of global marketing and he does not get that if he was on OKC, being in Chicago totally bumped that money up. There is absolute an advantage of being in this market but as mentioned you have to be marketable first, you just can't get a deal because you play in Chicago (although we did have the Beef Wennington lol)

Not sure Anthony Edwards is better than Zach yet, but likely will be. He has marketability all over him though IMHO even in Minny. He did well in Hustle and having a "credit" in that market gets you more work. Would he get more work in NY, Chicago or LA? Yeah he would. Oddly Houston is population very close to Chicago, but a lot more is filmed in Chicago than in Houston, thats wh it is a slightly better market. Georgia gets a ton of film work now too and I think Atlanta is a good market to get cast in stuff too. Thats a complete aside though.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#11 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:47 am

klutch sports
Senor Chang
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,216

Post#12 » by Senor Chang » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:18 am

ATRAIN53 wrote:careful of the tulips!

The fact that Coby is in an ad shows that just being in Chicago will get you sponsors even if you suck.
wayoftheroad wrote:We’re getting bodied by Moochie Norris lmao
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,266

Post#13 » by kodo » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:25 pm

I remember during Tim Duncan's prime he got almost nothing, while being argued as the greatest PF to play the game until that point.
It's definitely mostly market.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,929

Post#14 » by meekrab » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:12 pm

kodo wrote:I remember during Tim Duncan's prime he got almost nothing, while being argued as the greatest PF to play the game until that point.

Duncan's also kind of a nerd tbh.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,545

Post#15 » by dice » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:08 am

meekrab wrote:
kodo wrote:I remember during Tim Duncan's prime he got almost nothing, while being argued as the greatest PF to play the game until that point.

he also didn't really seem to give a **** about his "brand"

duncan has more personality than the wooden lavine

;t=28s
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#16 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:53 am

LateNight wrote:I would guess it has more to do with him being with Klutch than being in Chicago.

Being an all-star and Olympic gold medalist playing the 3rd largest city in the country should bring these type endorsement opportunities. His previous management was obviously not doing a very good job.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#17 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:56 am

dice wrote:
meekrab wrote:

;t=28s

LaVine is just a regular type guy that happens to be a world class athlete. The fact that he doesn’t act like most of these other stars is plus for me. Sleeping with a bunch of Instagram “models” and hanging out with rappers isn’t personality. Hard working guy that the city of Chicago should appreciate more although most are starting to barring minority opinions like yours.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#18 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:01 am

dougthonus wrote:

Absolutely Chicago isn't the MAIN things. Zach's performance as an all-star is the main thing, but I'm curious if it is part of the thing, because he's still sort of a fringe all-star.

I don’t think he is a fringe all-star. If stays healthy he will make every all-star team for next 5 to 7 years and probably get a couple of starts. Fringe all-star is a guy like Vuc.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,545

Post#19 » by dice » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:27 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
dice wrote:
meekrab wrote:Duncan's also kind of a nerd tbh.

;t=28s

LaVine is just a regular type guy that happens to be a world class athlete. The fact that he doesn’t act like most of these other stars is plus for me. Sleeping with a bunch of Instagram “models” and hanging out with rappers isn’t personality. Hard working guy that the city of Chicago should appreciate more although most are starting to barring minority opinions like yours.

astute bulls fans (and there are still many, though this board has steadily drifted away from it) aren't going to appreciate someone who doesn't play defense. that's why they appreciated joakim more. and rightfully so

and nobody said that sleeping with instagram models or hanging out with rappers constitutes having personality. public behavior has nothing to do with it. weird suggestion

by the way, lavine is with...wait for it...an instagram model. real "regular type guy" there

the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
WindyCityBorn
RealGM

Post#20 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:33 am

dice wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
dice wrote:he also didn't really seem to give a **** about his "brand"

;t=28s

astute bulls fans (and there are still many, though this board has steadily drifted away from it) aren't going to appreciate someone who doesn't play defense. that's why they appreciated joakim more. and deservedly so

and nobody said that sleeping with instagram models or hanging out with rappers constitutes having personality. public behavior has nothing to do with it. weird suggestion

by the way, lavine is with...wait for it...an instagram model. real "regular type guy" there

Lol he’s been with her since high school. You know exactly what I meant. The ones that have been passed around like a cold.

Oh it’s only hard working if they meet your criteria?

Return to Chicago Bulls