Image ImageImage Image

Bears: 1st pick in 23 draft

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Re: Bears: 1st pick in 23 draft 

Post#641 » by sco » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:00 pm

CjayC wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:Rumors have it that Purdy is the guy going forward.... What is trading Trey Lance worth for SF?

I would think at least a 2nd if a little bidding starts. Probably a bad move to cherry pick, but the Jets got a 2nd round pick from the Panthers for a shell-shocked Sam Darnold, that only had 1 year remaining on his contract IIRC. Someone would probably take a swing on Lance with all these QB needy teams.

Granted I'm skeptical of Lance. The body of work isn't really there, and NDSU being the Alabama of the 2nd tier of D1 Football they have a clear talent advantage. I thought he fit in better as an experiment Late 1st/Early 2nd, where he could chill behind a vet for a couple of seasons.

I see someone with a late 1st like the Giants being interested or if Ravens want an insurance policy/leverage toward signing Jackson, maybe they trade for him and maybe retrade him later.
:clap:
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,758

Post#642 » by Jeffster81 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:07 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:Rumors have it that Purdy is the guy going forward.... What is trading Trey Lance worth for SF?

San Fran cannot be that stupid to even remotely entertain the idea that Nick Foles 2 (aka Brock Purdy) is the guy going forward? Best thing for San Fran is to trade Purdy while he has value.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#643 » by madvillian » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:31 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:

San Fran cannot be that stupid to even remotely entertain the idea that Nick Foles 2 (aka Brock Purdy) is the guy going forward? Best thing for San Fran is to trade Purdy while he has value.

Why? He's making like 500k a year, worse case he's one of the best backups in the league for pennies. Jimmy G isn't elite, he's pretty average. Lance at this point is a complete wild card. Who knows if he was even any good before his injury, and his injury was horrible.

Doesn't make any sense to trade Purdy given he's already proven with that roster around him you can win in the playoffs.

Something Brad Holmes said after the Lion's season made a lot of sense, he said "often it's a lot easier to get worse at QB than get better". Teams that have a decent one shouldn't be in a rush to get rid of them even if they aren't elite.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#644 » by TheSuzerain » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:42 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Future Bears RT McGlinchey here :lol:

Read on Twitter

Says more about Parsons, but damn.

Orlando Brown gets some crap, but I think he's probably the top tackle out there.

Not opposed to not signing a top tackle though (maybe land a cheaper established vet in the interior of the O-Line instead). And then we draft a tackle in the 2nd or top of the 3rd.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,131

Post#645 » by molepharmer » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:33 pm

I would prioritize center over tackle, but that's just me. Having d-linemen come up the middle unblocked, thanks to Mustipher's complete incompetence, was a nightmare. I'm not sure there's much FA wise for center. Supposedly the draft has some decent center prospects in rounds 2-4, though I know one prospect (Georgia's ???) decided to stay in school another year.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,397

Post#646 » by fleet » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:35 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:

Purdy is pretty nice in and out of the pocket. Slides with good footwork very well to get off throws. Maybe your point is Purdy is catching playoffs lightning in a bottle like Foles, but Purdy is more mobile and nifty. I think he’s a competent backup minimum with some legit journeyman starter potential. More than that is hard to say at this point. But incidentally to localize it, that’s what Justin has to be able to do, as Martz points out. The good ones can slide in the pocket, they don’t need to bail.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,402

Post#647 » by jnrjr79 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:50 pm

molepharmer wrote:I would prioritize center over tackle, but that's just me. Having d-linemen come up the middle unblocked, thanks to Mustipher's complete incompetence, was a nightmare. I'm not sure there's much FA wise for center. Supposedly the draft has some decent center prospects in rounds 2-4, though I know one prospect (Georgia's ???) decided to stay in school another year.

FWIW, Lucas Patrick would be the contemplated starter next year, rather than Mustipher.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,400

Post#648 » by Michael Jackson » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:06 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:Future Bears RT McGlinchey here :lol:

Read on Twitter

Says more about Parsons, but damn.

Yeah that’s good technique there too he had him on one foot when he used his strength on him and he got a too heavy guy in his momentum. Still damn impressive but like you said that is more about Parson real solid spot of attack and excellent timing. That being said you get anyone on one foot and have them off their center of gravity you can topple them. That feels more like McGlinchey need to work on his footwork and speed.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#649 » by fleet » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:13 pm

Somebody encapsulated what the pundits are predicting for the Bears

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/.amp/news/mock-draft-hype-over-bears-pick-has-only-just-begun
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,400

Post#650 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:49 am

fleet wrote:Somebody encapsulated what the pundits are predicting for the Bears

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/.amp/news/mock-draft-hype-over-bears-pick-has-only-just-begun

Yeah I get the 3 month out thing and that makes sense but Anderson to the Bears absolutely makes sense. Doth that mean @ #1? Not overly likely...
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#651 » by fleet » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:47 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
fleet wrote:Somebody encapsulated what the pundits are predicting for the Bears

Yeah I get the 3 month out thing and that makes sense but Anderson to the Bears absolutely makes sense. Doth that mean @ #1? Not overly likely...

Have a feeling a 1 or 2 guys routinely mocked in the top 10 are going to gain on Anderson and Carter in consideration. It could be possible to trade out of the top 4 if that happens.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,758

Post#652 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:54 pm

fleet wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:

Purdy is pretty nice in and out of the pocket. Slides with good footwork very well to get off throws. Maybe your point is Purdy is catching playoffs lightning in a bottle like Foles, but Purdy is more mobile and nifty. I think he’s a competent backup minimum with some legit journeyman starter potential. More than that is hard to say at this point. But incidentally to localize it, that’s what Justin has to be able to do, as Martz points out. The good ones can slide in the pocket, they don’t need to bail.

That's the point. Right now he is the product of Kyle S. as head coach and having All-World players at WR, RB and TE. Purdy will never have the same kind of value than what he will have this off-season. Let another team thinks he for real and give up a real draft asset.

If the 49ers want to hang on to Purdy has a solid backup option at QB, but if they intend to make him their future at QB, then you might as well slam the 49ers window shut and lock it. A mediocre talent like Purdy rarely wins Super Bowls.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#653 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:14 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:
fleet wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:

That's the point. Right now he is the product of Kyle S. as head coach and having All-World players at WR, RB and TE. Purdy will never have the same kind of value than what he will have this off-season. Let another team thinks he for real and give up a real draft asset.

If the 49ers want to hang on to Purdy has a solid backup option at QB, but if they intend to make him their future at QB, then you might as well slam the 49ers window shut and lock it. A mediocre talent like Purdy rarely wins Super Bowls.

Oh? I'm not sure what your definition of "mediocre talent" is, but meh quarterbacks winning Super Bowls is relatively common. Stafford, Foles, and Flacco have all done so in the last decade. Eli Manning was pretty mediocre and he has rings. And I don't think Tom Brady and Kurt Warner are "mediocre talents," obviously, but if you're talking about draft status, they are comparable to Purdy.

I have no idea whether Purdy will ultimately be great and I agree SF's system and talent is going to elevate a QB, but there's plenty of history in the NFL of later drafted guys becoming elite and of teams finding ways to win Super Bowls with just OK QB play.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 740

Post#654 » by Hold That » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:18 pm

madvillian wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:

Why? He's making like 500k a year, worse case he's one of the best backups in the league for pennies. Jimmy G isn't elite, he's pretty average. Lance at this point is a complete wild card. Who knows if he was even any good before his injury, and his injury was horrible.

Doesn't make any sense to trade Purdy given he's already proven with that roster around him you can win in the playoffs.

Something Brad Holmes said after the Lion's season made a lot of sense, he said "often it's a lot easier to get worse at QB than get better". Teams that have a decent one shouldn't be in a rush to get rid of them even if they aren't elite.

I agree. I don’t think the 49ers front office will trade either Lance or Purdy before facing them off in next years training camp.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#655 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:21 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:
fleet wrote:Purdy is pretty nice in and out of the pocket. Slides with good footwork very well to get off throws. Maybe your point is Purdy is catching playoffs lightning in a bottle like Foles, but Purdy is more mobile and nifty. I think he’s a competent backup minimum with some legit journeyman starter potential. More than that is hard to say at this point. But incidentally to localize it, that’s what Justin has to be able to do, as Martz points out. The good ones can slide in the pocket, they don’t need to bail.

Oh? I'm not sure what your definition of "mediocre talent" is, but meh quarterbacks winning Super Bowls is relatively common. Stafford, Foles, and Flacco have all done so in the last decade. Eli Manning was pretty mediocre and he has rings. And I don't think Tom Brady and Kurt Warner are "mediocre talents," obviously, but if you're talking about draft status, they are comparable to Purdy.

I have no idea whether Purdy will ultimately be great and I agree SF's system and talent is going to elevate a QB, but there's plenty of history in the NFL of later drafted guys becoming elite and of teams finding ways to win Super Bowls with just OK QB play.

Stafford doesn't belong on the list with Foles/Flacco.
jnrjr79
Assistant Coach

Post#656 » by jnrjr79 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:18 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:
Jeffster81 wrote:

The Rams version that won the Super Bowl while leading the NFL in interceptions sure does.
TheSuzerain
RealGM

Post#657 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:26 pm

jnrjr79 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
jnrjr79 wrote:

The Rams version that won the Super Bowl while leading the NFL in interceptions sure does.

He doesn't.

He also threw for 41 TDs and 5000 yards. Rams had an elite passing offense last year.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,131

Post#658 » by molepharmer » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:47 pm

Guess this was about a week ago, but I hadn't seen it. May be new to others..
Read on Twitter
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
moorhosj
Junior
And1: 350

Post#659 » by moorhosj » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:45 pm

fleet wrote:Have a feeling a 1 or 2 guys routinely mocked in the top 10 are going to gain on Anderson and Carter in consideration. It could be possible to trade out of the top 4 if that happens.

Absolutely. I heard rumors that Myles Murphy is going to run around a 4.5 at 6'5" and 275lbs. Just last year, Travon Walker rode the combine hype wave all the way to pick #1.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,250

Post#660 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:10 pm

moorhosj wrote:
fleet wrote:Have a feeling a 1 or 2 guys routinely mocked in the top 10 are going to gain on Anderson and Carter in consideration. It could be possible to trade out of the top 4 if that happens.

Absolutely. I heard rumors that Myles Murphy is going to run around a 4.5 at 6'5" and 275lbs. Just last year, Travon Walker rode the combine hype wave all the way to pick #1.

I also think some teams are already in love with and others may soon follow with Tyree Wilson. He could shoot up boards up to the top 3-5 IMO.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong

Return to Chicago Bulls