Image ImageImage Image

How Bad are AKME?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Grade AKME

1-A
2%
2-B
2%
3-C
16%
4-D
43%
5-F
37%

Total votes: 128

nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,908

Re: How Bad are AKME? 

Post#101 » by nomorezorro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:51 pm

i think people are really overrating the degree to which this level of "competitiveness" is meaningful to ownership. revenue from, at most, three extra home games is not moving the needle that much. team's going to make money and draw good crowds basically no matter what.

based on how the white sox have been run, the real concern is that the reinsdorfs are content being "hands off" and "loyal" even in the face of outright awful management. the only real hope i can see is that michael has enough sway over the bulls that he's willing to pull the trigger a lot earlier on an obvious failure than his old man has been
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#102 » by BigUps » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:52 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
BigUps wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
I don't believe this in the slightest. This seems like spin to me.

No, he said it in the interview. Its not spin. This is who he is.

I'll tell you why it's spin. The ownership is paying his salary, they don't want the team to tank because they've been in that position before, thus AK is falling on the sword and saving the ownership face by saying it was an option to him, but he opted against it and he continues to have a job, whilst continuing to throw out a mediocre team.

Ownership doesn't want to pay the tax. Thats what they care about. The rest is up to AKME. I fully believe that.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,811

Post#103 » by dougthonus » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:01 pm

BigUps wrote:Ownership doesn't want to pay the tax. Thats what they care about. The rest is up to AKME. I fully believe that.

I think this is true, at least without a chance to win the title.

However, we are the 9th highest payroll in the NBA. We're the 19th best team. There are two more teams within like 5M of total salary (slightly in the tax) above us. The payroll isn't stopping us from begin good. Teams don't pay the tax unless they think they can win the title. The tax when you are building and expect to be 1stround/play-in is a red herring. No one in the NBA wants to pay the tax for that. I think the tax is an issue when you're one of the top 5-6 teams and there is parity and a small iterative change to your 6th-8th best player or adding one more rotation player might put you over the top.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,825

Post#104 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:04 pm

I just watched the presser and probably the most disturbing thing he said when asked about the future payroll if the plan is to keep DeMar and Pat is, how are they planning to resign them and still remain under the tax, and his response was, the focus is the playoffs and then we will deal with next season during the off season, which goes back to consistent criticism of AK is that he has no foresight. He seems to treat the NBA like take it season by season type of attitude, and that is such a horrific approach and yet, it perfectly aligns with how he has managed this team so far.
Why so serious?
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,267

Post#105 » by Dan Z » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:11 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:
BigUps wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:
I don't believe this in the slightest. This seems like spin to me.

No, he said it in the interview. Its not spin. This is who he is.

I'll tell you why it's spin. The ownership is paying his salary, they don't want the team to tank because they've been in that position before, thus AK is falling on the sword and saving the ownership face by saying it was an option to him, but he opted against it and he continues to have a job, whilst continuing to throw out a mediocre team.

I agree with you, but ultimately does it matter either way?

Continuing on this same path will most likely lead to the same results. It's not working and it's sad that they don't see it (or choose not to care).

I wish Reinsdorf would finally sell the team.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,697

Post#106 » by nitetrain8603 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:12 pm

This guy basically said he doesn't believe in the trade deadline and improving there:
Read on Twitter

18 minute mark. He has no aspirations of being a champion other than it falling in his lap. He said competitive about a million times and reporters called him out in it and he still can't describe what that means. Says he can't predict the future, and insinuates that's why he doesn't make trades in which they don't take a step back.

In addition, it's not like he didn't get grilled by the media. They asked fair questions representative of the fanbase. They called him out on the "well there's FA" a few times. They called him out on not making a trade. They even asked "how competitive are you actually as you've only won 1 playoff game in 2.5 years." He's way too tone def. And the best part of all, his gameplan is literally staying the course.

Never thought I'd say it, but he's more annoying than GarPax. At least they had success. They were very misguided in their approach, but they didn't sit on their hands after the first year. IIRC, Pax was an advisor to Jerry on this hire. And this is why he shouldn't have been. He's very Pax-esque without half of the success.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#107 » by Dan Z » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:13 pm

ChettheJet wrote:To me, AK and ME or if they're a matched pair, are betting their jobs on the team that opens next season looking like a top 6 playoff team. And doing it.

Michael Reinsdorf has given them enough room to make the moves they have. I'll bet ownership signed on when the Vucevic trade was made, when they extended Billy, when they brought in DeRozan and Ball and when they maxed out Zach. The other drafts, bench guys like Caruso, Carter, Craig, buying the pick for Phillips were minor basketball moves.

On the floor I think Billy makes the call on who starts without any interference from upstairs. So standing pat at three deadlines, even continuity, not adding an actual PF, is all AKME betting the plan they have been following is going to pay off. I think that means the post season this year, minus Zach.

I personally think Lonzo returns healthy, I don't care who thinks he's Humpty Dumpty, I've got my view. That makes the biggest decisions, keeping DeRozan and second trading Zach or not. Minor choice is extending PWill. Everybody else stays, and you hope Ayo shoots more, Phillips gets stronger, Terry makes progress all around and the draft pick is a useful player.

They have chosen to stay the course and if one year from today they are a .500 team it's a bust because they bet that their plan would lead to success and there was no progress. And they're gone.

If Lonzo returns next year then he'll be 2.5 years removed from playing competitive basketball. How long will it take him to shake off the rust? Will he be able to get back to being the player he once was? I have my doubts. At best I think it takes him all of next year to get back to where he was (which I don't think he'll be able to do). That means his production for the Bulls will most likely be spotty at best.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#108 » by Dan Z » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:24 pm

From the Arturas Karnisovas press conference:

Reporter: You guys aren't mediocre, you are competitive, and you can say you've had big regular season wins, but Charlotte can say it, any team could say it. I mean, how are you gonna sell this, that this is competitive and not mediocrity?

AK: I think we can comment on that in thirty games, right? It's a results driven business and I get it and I'll take all the responsibility for failures. At this point it's very early to say what is success and what's not success. I mean we have thirty games to go. We'll see what this team can do.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,697

Post#109 » by nitetrain8603 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:34 pm

Dan Z wrote:From the Arturas Karnisovas press conference:

Reporter: You guys aren't mediocre, you are competitive, and you can say you've had big regular season wins, but Charlotte can say it, any team could say it. I mean, how are you gonna sell this, that this is competitive and not mediocrity?

AK: I think we can comment on that in thirty games, right? It's a results driven business and I get it and I'll take all the responsibility for failures. At this point it's very early to say what is success and what's not success. I mean we have thirty games to go. We'll see what this team can do.

And he'd be very wrong. You have almost 3 years worth of data. Last year he kept saying 28 games. This year, he pretty much told you his only goal is to fight for a playoff spot. He completely ignored any statements about not being a championship contender.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,908

Post#110 » by nomorezorro » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:35 pm

remember when he tried to hit us with this **** last summer

WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#111 » by Dan Z » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:39 pm

nomorezorro wrote:remember when he tried to hit us with this **** last summer

I remember that. It's was ridiculous then and it's ridiculous now.

Torrey Craig and Jevon Carter...come on down!
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#112 » by BigUps » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:48 pm

We'd have to go 21-9 over the last 30 games to match the record of last years 6th place team.

A) That's not very likely to happen.
B) If it did happen, our reward right now would be to play the Bucks in the first round.

This is the ambition this front office has right now. This is being "competitive" to them.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#113 » by madvillian » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:53 pm

BigUps wrote:

We'd have to go 21-9 over the last 30 games to match the record of last years 6th place team.

B) If it did happen, our reward right now would be to play the Bucks in the first round.

This is the ambition this front office has right now. This is being "competitive" to them.

Honestly if we did go 21-9 it would justify their plan. But that has zero chance of happening, and something with zero chance of happening (the 6th seed) is the best case for this roster. Fire these clowns.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#114 » by Dan Z » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:54 pm

BigUps wrote:

You mean two years ago. Last year the Bulls finished in 10th place and didn't make it to the playoffs.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,900

Post#115 » by Mk0 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:57 pm

That press conference sucked.
This bums me out.

"What are you selling the fans at this point"
"I am selling a competitive group that is competing right now for the playoffs. And-and that is just evidence and-you bring it up the standings. I mean we are all bunched up in that area in the middle"

AK is a stooge
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#116 » by Dan Z » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:11 pm

Mk0 wrote:That press conference sucked.
This bums me out.

"I am selling a competitive group that is competing right now for the playoffs. And-and that is just evidence and-you bring it up the standings. I mean we are all bunched up in that area in the middle"

AK is a stooge

Yep, complete garbage.

I'm glad that one reporter pointed out that any team can cite a winning streak (or good play) during a season and use that as an excuse.
Mk0
RealGM

Post#117 » by Mk0 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:12 pm

lmao the reporters may as well have hit him with the Inigo Montoya meme.
What do you mean by competitive?
Playoffs? Play-In?

Mk0
RealGM

Post#118 » by Mk0 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:17 pm

Dan Z wrote:
This bums me out.

AK is a stooge

Yep, complete garbage.

I'm glad that one reporter pointed out that any team can cite a winning streak (or good play) during a season and use that as an excuse.

Hitting him over the head with "what do you consider competitive?" over and over and then following with "You have 1 playoff win in 2.5 years" was damn gold.

I think AK made it clear. He made a point that the Bulls missed the playoffs for 5 years before he got here. His job is to get that playoff revenue.

*He is conveniently ignoring the fact that we were have been a play-in team and not a playoff team
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#119 » by Dan Z » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:19 pm

Mk0 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
This bums me out.

AK is a stooge

Yep, complete garbage.

Hitting him over the head with "what do you consider competitive?" over and over and then following with "You have 1 playoff win in 2.5 years" was damn gold.

I think AK made it clear. He made a point that the Bulls missed the playoffs for 5 years before he got here. His job is to get that playoff revenue.

*He is conveniently ignoring the fact that we were have been a play-in team and not a playoff team

I think about something that has been pointed out a few times (Doug specifically mentioned this) and that's if AK did nothing during his time here (meaning he kept everyone and made no trades) then the Bulls would be in a better situation right now then they currently are.

Sad.
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,167

Post#120 » by League Circles » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:24 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:I just watched the presser and probably the most disturbing thing he said when asked about the future payroll if the plan is to keep DeMar and Pat is, how are they planning to resign them and still remain under the tax, and his response was, the focus is the playoffs and then we will deal with next season during the off season, which goes back to consistent criticism of AK is that he has no foresight. He seems to treat the NBA like take it season by season type of attitude, and that is such a horrific approach and yet, it perfectly aligns with how he has managed this team so far.

To me, it obviously means what it should mean, which is that no firm evaluation on what to offer Demar or Patrick will be made until the summer. The Bulls are obviously open to possibly letting one or both walk for nothing, which is how they should be playing it. How those guys play and how the team fares should make a big difference on what we offer them. They could plausibly both be making in the 20-30 million range or be offered virtually nothing by the team to stay. They need to express support for those guys but not gush and be overly committed to them for negotiation reasons.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear

Return to Chicago Bulls