Image ImageImage Image

OT: College FB/ Bowl Game thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#161 » by girlygirl » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:14 pm

I'm expecting a fairly low scoring game tonight. I've only seen Va Tech a couple of times this year, but in those games their offense wasn't all that impressive. I know they averaged better than 30 PPG for the season, so I probably just saw them on off days. However, it seems like they depend on defense and special teams for a lot of their scoring. If KU doesn't turn the ball over, can Va Tech score on offense against a KU defense that gives up just 16 PPG?

I also don't expect tons of points from KU. Everyone says Va Tech's defense is the faster the Jayhawks will have seen this year, and I believe it. The Hokies were 2nd in the nation in scoring defense for a reason.

Both of these teams forced a ton of turnovers this season and the game will likely come down to who can hold onto the ball and which kicker has a better game.

I know I'm probably annoying some of you with all my Jayhawk rah-rahing, but this is so just so exciting to see my alma mater do well in something other than basketball
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,160

Post#162 » by SHO'NUFF » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:46 am

Rashard Mendenhall Won't Be Back

If the Rose Bowl was the first time you've seen Illinois play this season, you're probably under the impression that the Illini suck, and that Rashard Mendenhall is the only reason they got as far as they did this season.

You'd be half right.

Illinois doesn't suck, they just ran into an opponent that is probably the best team in the country right now(no offense to LSU and Ohio State), and is just far more talented than the Illini. You're correct in assuming though that Rashard Mendenhall is the main reason the Illini were so successful this season.

Which makes it that much more painful that Rashard Mendenhall won't be coming back for his senior season, and is going to enter the NFL draft. Mendenhall hasn't made an official announcement about his future, but if anybody thinks he's going to come back after yesterday's performance, they're deep in a state of denial.

Mendenhall was already considered one of the best running backs in the country before Tuesday's Rose Bowl, and after scouts saw him play against USC, he could only have climbed higher up team's draft boards.

Anytime you can break free for a 79-yard touchdown run against the Trojans, and do so while running away from their entire defense, NFL scouts take notice of that.

Rashard's absence next season is going to create a pretty large void in Illinois' offense. One that will not be easily filled.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/01/ ... t-be-back/

Jason (Indiana): I think Rashard Mendenhall has more of an upside than Darren Mcfadden? How good do you think Mendenhall can be in the NFL?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: With what he showed yesterday, this is a guy who broke off some long gains against a good defense. He showed something against that tenacious defense. To be able to run away in the open field suggests an excellent 40 time, because we don't have measurables yet on juniors. He showed gamebreaking speed. He will not have a higher grade than McFadden. He's battling Felix Jones for that second RB spot. Another kid who is rising quickly is Chris Johnson from E. Carolina.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=18657
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#163 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:24 am

Hokies with a great kickoff to start the game and convert on 3rd and 6...already deep in KU territory

But KU with back-to-back sacks of Tyrod Taylor and Hokies can't convert on 3rd and 29...forced to punt
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#164 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:39 am

Ku misses a wide open man in the end zone, then the kicker misses a long FG
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#165 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:45 am

Yes...Aqib Talib picks off Tyrod Taylor and takes it to the house!!! 7-0 KU!!!!
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#166 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:51 am

Whoa -- great throw by Glennon to Josh Morgan who was behind the defense -- easy TD -- except Morgan drops it!
treyZz
Banned User

Post#167 » by treyZz » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:53 am

Does Virginia Tech actually recruit offensive players? Or just defense and special teams?
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#168 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:55 am

49-yard FG attempt for Va Tech is short -- Talib returns it out of the end zone back across the 30-yard line

Still 7-0 KU
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#169 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:57 am

treyZz wrote:Does Virginia Tech actually recruit offensive players? Or just defense and special teams?

They have some very good offensive players -- they have 4 receivers with more than 1000 career yards and their RB isn't bad. But the strength of the team is special teams and defense -- always has been since Beamer's been there
treyZz
Banned User

Post#170 » by treyZz » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:02 am

VT's offense has looked abysmal the couple times I have seen them this year.

Of course, I know they're defense orientated, but there offense always looks over matched.
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#171 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:06 am

Intercepted!!! KU gets the ball deep in Hokie territory
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#172 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:11 am

KU gets stopped inside the 20, but Webb makes a FG (finally) -- 10-0 Jayhawks!
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#173 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:26 am

Kansas driving inside Va Tech territory again. Went for it on 4th and 1 at the Va Tech 40 and got it to keep the drive going
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#174 » by Shill » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:27 am

Not surprised at all to see Tech's awful QBs crumbling.

I'm loving this! I hate Vagina Tech
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#175 » by Shill » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:29 am

treyZz wrote:VT's offense has looked abysmal the couple times I have seen them this year.

Of course, I know they're defense orientated, but there offense always looks over matched.

I watch a lot of ACC ball, and Tech's offense is garbage. If they can't run the ball, they're hopeless. It's pretty much always been that way.

The Jayhawks have a weak secondary, but Tech's QBs can't make them pay consistently.

Barring some defensive/special teams TDs, this game is ova.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#176 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:31 am

Touchdown KU!!! Reesing to marcus Henry...17-0 KU!!!
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#177 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:38 am

Virginia Tech coming right back with a long drive...have 1st and goal at the 2

TD, Va Tech (nuts) 17-7 Kansas
Ben
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#178 » by Ben » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:42 am

Va TD notwithstanding, it's been a great game for Kansas thusfar. I said that I'd give you props, girlygirl, and here they are:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kansas DID have an incredibly easy schedule, but that doesn't always mean that the team is undeserving (witness Boise State last year). I take back my earlier criticisms; Kansas is showing that they deserved to be in a BCS bowl. I'm happy for you. :lol:
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#179 » by girlygirl » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:46 am

Ben B. wrote:Va TD notwithstanding, it's been a great game for Kansas thusfar. I said that I'd give you props, girlygirl, and here they are:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kansas DID have an incredibly easy schedule, but that doesn't always mean that the team is undeserving (witness Boise State last year). I take back my earlier criticisms; Kansas is showing that they deserved to be in a BCS bowl. I'm happy for you. :lol:

Thanks Ben B.!!! Hopefully they can keep it up in the second half. I'm nervous about a 10-point lead -- that isn't horribly safe. But so far they have managed to prove the doubters wrong
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#180 » by SportsWorld » Fri Jan 4, 2008 2:46 am

Even if Kansas wins I think Missouri should have been in this game. Oh well hopefully Kansas wins so I can eat crow.

Return to Chicago Bulls