Image ImageImage Image

Bulls @ Bobcats Postgame Thread: Noah brings the HUSTLE..

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,894

Post#61 » by nomorezorro » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:01 am

kulaz3000 wrote:Credit needs to be given to Wallace also, though it would pain alot of people. Tonight made it four straight double figure rebounding game for Wallace..

In the past 4 games, 2.5 blks, 10.5 rebs...

Can I just say that peoples' standards are wayyyy too low around here? 10 rebounds in 37 minutes is *not* the standard for a good game. I would wager that there is pretty much a 0% chance that Noah or Gray don't get 10 rebounds in 37 minutes at the center position. Tyrus would almost certainly get 10 rebounds in 37 minutes too. Deng got 12 rebounds! If he gets taken out with 2 minutes left in the game (when the game was all but secured at 100-90) he's got 6 points / 8 rebounds in 36 minutes. That's not what I would call a great game.

The blocks and the assists are nice, but his man to man defense wasn't very good in the game and he had 3 turnovers.

I know the bar is lowered for him, but mediocrity (and that may be too kind) should not be "given credit".
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#62 » by dougthonus » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:01 am

Credit needs to be given to Wallace also, though it would pain alot of people. Tonight made it four straight double figure rebounding game for Wallace..

Wallace has played better in the past 4 games. He seems to at least pseudo-care for now. Still, when you get an absolute offense killer at his position it hurts. You could see how Joakim Noah comes in and without any more reliable moves than Wallace is infinitely more effective offensively because he at least attacks.

He's got to bring a lot at the defensive end to compensate for his lack of offense, and I don't think he does. 10.25 rebounds is what he's averaging over the past 4 games and that's in about 38 minutes a night. That's good (but not great) rebounding. Still his energy seems quite a bit better which is the important thing.

I'm still bitter that we play him, but he's not nearly as bad as he's been in the past (for now at least). At his current level of play, I think he deserves about 20 minutes a night instead of 0.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#63 » by Rerisen » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:02 am

dougthonus wrote:
We found a good lineup

Ben
Kirk
Deng
Noah
Wallace

I think an even better one would be Gordon, Kirk, Deng, Smith, and Noah.

Quite possibly. But I'm just defeated on the idea of this team every reducing Wallace's role.

It's like when you make a lineup, just start with Wallace as the given, you really only have 4 slots to work with. :angry:
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,857

Post#64 » by AirP. » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:03 am

Boylan has a rotation that he's set up... but... if the young guys seem to have it that night, the ones he's decided to play that night, he'll extend their play. Nothing more, nothing less. So either you have it right when you get in the game or you're right back on the bench.
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 466

Post#65 » by Mr. Tibbs » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:03 am

nomorezorro wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Can I just say that peoples' standards are wayyyy too low around here? 10 rebounds in 37 minutes is *not* the standard for a good game. I would wager that there is pretty much a 0% chance that Noah or Gray don't get 10 rebounds in 37 minutes at the center position. Tyrus would almost certainly get 10 rebounds in 37 minutes too. Deng got 12 rebounds! If he gets taken out with 2 minutes left in the game (when the game was all but secured at 100-90) he's got 6 points / 8 rebounds in 36 minutes. That's not what I would call a great game.

The blocks and the assists are nice, but his man to man defense wasn't very good in the game and he had 3 turnovers.

I know the bar is lowered for him, but mediocrity (and that may be too kind) should not be "given credit".

thank you thank you thank you
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#66 » by Ralphb07 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:04 am

Rerisen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree, but that supports the statement you responded to rather than refuting it.

In other words, Joe played very well and Boylan saw that you can still get contributions out of Noah and even Gray, even in a game where Joe is rolling. You don't have to overplay him into the ground just because he is doing good like Skiles did.

Which makes it all the more inexcusable all those games when Joe didn't do anything special, was even bad, and we still couldn't get the young guys respectable minutes.

My response was to the comment that he should of played more and nothing else. Noah was treated like a bench guy and besides Gordon, bench guys should play about 15-20
newskoolbulls
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#67 » by newskoolbulls » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:04 am

Why does BW never dunk when open? In the 1st half he got a pass was wide open and instead of dunkin he went to lay it up and botched it?
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#68 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:05 am

dougthonus wrote:
Credit needs to be given to Wallace also, though it would pain alot of people. Tonight made it four straight double figure rebounding game for Wallace..

Wallace has played better in the past 4 games. He seems to at least pseudo-care for now. Still, when you get an absolute offense killer at his position. You could see how Joakim Noah comes in and without any more reliable moves than Wallace is infinitely more effective offensively.

He's got to bring a lot at the defensive end to compensate for his lack of offense, and I don't think he does. 10.25 rebounds is what he's averaging over the past 4 games and that's in about 38 minutes a night. That's good (but not great) rebounding. Still his energy seems quite a bit better which is the important thing.

I'm still bitter that we play him, but he's not nearly as bad as he's been in the past (for now at least).

I agree. I've advocated that he should play roughly around 30 mins a game, unless he is playing flat out awesome. I think 30 mins is enough time to make his presences felt, and if he is having on his lack luster games, then yank him early and let the youngs get their time.

I guess my point is, he has been relatively consistent since Boylan has taken over, and his activity level has risen up also. Sure, our standards for him have been lowered somewhat, but 10 rebounds and 2.5 blocks is still making some what of an impact. Though i definitly do agree that his mintues shouldn't be close to being in the 40mins but more so in the low 30's to high 20's.

But Noah really needs to get more time out there.
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Post#69 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:06 am

For all this talk about his lack of offensive ability, I'm surprised Noah can actually score double digits in such little time. He's had 4 games of double digit scoring, 1 more than Aaron Gray.
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
NoSkyy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#70 » by NoSkyy » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:06 am

Tyrusss =(
girlygirl
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#71 » by girlygirl » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:06 am

The following was in the game notes section of the AP game recap for tonight's game:

Boylan said he's been focusing on offense more in practice since taking over, convinced his team's defense is solid
AirP.
RealGM

Post#72 » by AirP. » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:08 am

newskoolbulls wrote:Why does BW never dunk when open? In the 1st half he got a pass was wide open and instead of dunkin he went to lay it up and botched it?

It takes extra energy to dunk for little guys, I know when I was deep into a game unless I just got excited with a big steal or block, I would just lay it up, no need waisting energy, you get no points for style.
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach

Post#73 » by Mr. Tibbs » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:08 am

i don't want to sound like a broken record but why should wallace play 30 mpg just for sucking less? At this point i see only one reason that wallace should get playing time and its a pretty crappy reason. I just don't want to hear him pissing and moaning the rest of the season and reminisce about his time with detroit. He's playing better yes, but i honestly think losing him outright would be addition by subtraction..it'd be like trading wallace for joakim noah and maybe even tyrus thomas.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#74 » by transplant » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:09 am

Joakim was magnificent and I agree with Kulaz that Noah sort of spurred Wallace to new heights in the 4th...it was almost like Wallace said to himself, "I used to play like that. Let's see if I've still got it."

Gordon continues to destroy his market value.:wink:

Deng: 21-13-5...not too shabby.

Nice win.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#75 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:09 am

girlygirl wrote:The following was in the game notes section of the AP game recap for tonight's game:

Boylan said he's been focusing on offense more in practice since taking over, convinced his team's defense is solid

Well he is wrong if he thinks our defense is solid. We are still poor at covering the three point line, and we also terrible went guards penetrate against us. We still have long ways to go regarding our defense just as much as our offense.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#76 » by Rerisen » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:09 am

girlygirl wrote:Boylan said he's been focusing on offense more in practice since taking over, convinced his team's defense is solid

Well we did put up 109, which we haven't done since early in December. But the first time we played the Bobcats with Skiles we got 111 as well.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#77 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:10 am

I think the thing that gets missed concerning Wallace, is that he plays for so long......Regardless of what he is doing....he is bound to either make one good play or one good rebound or one good block and all of a sudden, someone says he is solid. The first probably 3 and a half quarters of this game, Wallace was CRAP. But he had STILL racked up 25+mins at that point.

What I have been saying is, you dont need to even touch Smiths minutes. He has been ballin' But him Ballin should have nothing to do with Noah or Tyrus or Noce. Instead of coaches, maning up and reducing Wallaces minutes, he actually gets more.

In reality it should have been Smith and Noah finishing that game. But the powers that be make it Wallace and whomever else is having a good game.Whether it be Noce,Noah,Smith etc. That is the problem.
The Cult of Personality
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach

Post#78 » by Mr. Tibbs » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:12 am

the bulls have gotten over 100 in each of boylans 4 games. that's a nice stat.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#79 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:16 am

I think Wallace needs to start getting more confidence back. It is sad seeing someone like him not wanting to slam it down when he should and can. I know he's declining, but he can still at least slam a ball. I think he's buying into his decline way more than we do, and that's not good.

But he has been playing well since Boylan started.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#80 » by AirP. » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:20 am

Hopefully Wallace is being showcased to show he still can contribute.

Return to Chicago Bulls