Image ImageImage Image

Article: Smith's minutes vary, not attitude

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Article: Smith's minutes vary, not attitude 

Post#1 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:16 pm

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... -headlines

CHARLOTTE -- Joe Smith has seen just about everything in his 13 NBA seasons, perhaps particularly in his 13th.

The amiable veteran signed with the Bulls because, from afar, he liked their talent and tenacity, not to mention their millions. Smith expected stability.

Thirty games in, coach Scott Skiles has been fired and Smith's minutes have fluctuated like the stock market after a housing report.

"All of us as players on any team just want consistency," Smith said. "You want to know your rotation, when you're coming out of the game, when you're going back in, things like that."

Smith said the above without any anger. He also calmly disputed interim coach Jim Boylan's assertion that his surgically repaired right knee stiffened up in the overtime loss to the Magic.

After all, the next time Smith disrupts the team structure will be his first.

The fact remains Smith scored 16 points and had nine rebounds in Monday's loss to the Magic, and he didn't play the final 20 minutes 39 seconds.

"I thought the five [Boylan] had out there were playing pretty well, so I wasn't really concerned about it," Smith said. "But as far as stiffening up, I was good."

Boylan admitted to "kind of forgetting about [Smith] the other night" and also conceded "maybe right now we're playing guys a little too long."

But Boylan also offered sound reasoning for riding players, even as he lengthened his rotation Wednesday night against the Bobcats.

"Our season is starting to slip away and we need our main guys to come through," Boylan said. "The only way I see us getting back on track is getting our guys to find their rhythm. That means they have to play longer minutes. Hopefully, as we get more comfortable and start playing the way we want to play, we can get back to a lighter rotation."

Boylan even used Thabo Sefolosha in non-blowout minutes, albeit just for 5:46.

As for Smith, who rides a stationary bicycle often while not playing, he again didn't play the fourth quarter against the Bobcats after scoring 12 of his 16 in the third. But that's because rookie Joakim Noah played his finest quarter of the season in the fourth.

"Joe got some unexpected rest with a game [Thursday], so that works in our favor," Boylan said.

Layups
Tyrus Thomas didn't play and has logged 9:46 in Boylan's four games as coach.
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 463

Post#2 » by step » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:44 pm

In my opinion, I think its only obvious. A trade has to be made.
I agree, barring any possible superstar big being available, the first guy I'd look to move would be Nocioni.

If only TJ Ford wasn't injured, I thought my trade scenario in the suggestion thread would of been decent for both teams.

Griffin, Thabo, Khryapa, Duhon and Nocioni
for
Calderon, Nesterovic, Martin and Garbajosa

The only catch is the uncertainty of Ford at this point in time.
JGeils
Assistant Coach
And1: 31

Post#3 » by JGeils » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:48 pm

If Joe was dragged in and out of of the rotation for the 1996-97 GS Warriors, there would be some issues.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#4 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:52 pm

choosing to play Smith over the rookies that can develop into 'core' players is something i hope Boylan keeps resisting.

i have no reason to belive if he gets more minutes he's suddenly going to blossom into the 20/10 guy 6 other teams have hoped to see from him.

i hope he reamins quiet and accepts his role, it's been about what i expected. he's probably more of an asset in practice to the younger players.

Return to Chicago Bulls