Image ImageImage Image

Jim Boylan on 670 The Score

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#21 » by dougthonus » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:08 pm

Main Event wrote:I have a feeling, Tyrus will be traded soon.

I would be surprised. His value can't be real high right now.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,819

Post#22 » by AirP. » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:13 pm

DuckIII wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm having a really hard time believing that unless its part of a MAJOR deal.

Paxson has seen what getting rid of a young athletic big can lead to as evidenced by the Chandler situation. Also, Paxson is extremely high on Thomas' talent and even noted specifically that he wants to see him play more.

I think Boylan sold Paxson on the idea that this team can get back into the hunt and Paxson has given him some time to prove it.

For EVERYONE saying that Tyrus must get past his relationship with Skiles and produce like a PRO instead of his inconsistent production.... it almost looks like EVERYONE had a problem with Skiles because everyone looks completely different since he left. They may be Pros but that doesn't mean a coach can't have a huge effect on how players play.

How Skiles was about HUSTLING and mistake free play... Boylan is into Vets and believing in them much more then rookies. It's just a different philosophy of coaching. Boylan is all over entitlement based on years in service... which doesn't always mean you put out the best team. It's not a bad way of going but it's a short term gain that is definitely going to hurt our future, if nothing more making us wait to become the team we can be through development of ALL our players.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#23 » by Dieselbound&Down » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:19 pm

I'll be much more pissed if this same discussion is taking place over the AS break and the team is back over 500.

By mid-February Wallace will be shut down for a few stretches and Joe Smith will have more than a few 15 minute games to help him rest his knees. This will give the youngsters extended stretches to show their worth. The only wild card I see is Noc continuing to get heavy minutes at the PF position.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#24 » by Rerisen » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:25 pm

Regardless if Boylan turns out to be a great coach, the team does have new life under him for now, no matter the moves he is making.

Early in the year we would just give up when getting down 10+. Now, like last night down 12 to the Bobcats, Boylan just calls a timeout at the obvious times, calmly tells the team what should be done and they usually respond and play more focused.

He doesn't do anything crazy like bench the whole starting lineup or run Griffin out there for 10 minutes on their top scorer.

The Bulls are still a flawed team in ways, but at least the hustle and fight are coming back. And they will continue to be there if we keep playing the infectiously motivated young guys like Gray, Noah and Tyrus. Even TT was laughing and smiling on the bench at times last night and after the game. Though I don't know how long whatever Boylan told him will last if he keeps sitting. But he used to just look glum 24/7.
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#25 » by Ben Wilson25 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:28 pm

Its frustrating to see the organization being so short-sighted. It also shouldn't be surprising to anyone who has followed the team. If you gave Jerry Reinsdorf a choice between a championship and a modest profit or making the first round of the playoffs and losing while making a larger profit, which do you think he would choose?

I can agree somewhat that you need to right the ship first, and so far playing the veterans has worked so I can't be too critical. The thing that gives me a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach is that if we ride the veterans and things improve do we really believe that the youngsters will all of a sudden take on a much larger role once we hit .500? Into the playoffs? I just can't see it, meaning we have lost another year of development while the likes of Portland (who we should be battling for years to come) is getting their youth ready NOW.

Paxson has talked about a consolidation trade for years now. My only hope is for a consolidation trade involving Wallace, Noc or Smith (preferrably 2 of them) for backcourt help.

The really sad thing is that I believe we'd be better right now playing TT and Noah which makes giving the vets heavy minutes a bad decision in the short and long term.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#26 » by theanimal23 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:32 pm

In regards to what Cliff Levingston wrote, I see us being able to turn Noce into a SG/SF.

The name I like but never see management going for due to him being a UFA this year is Maggette.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#27 » by BigUps » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:33 pm

I'd do Noc and filler (since Noc is BYC) for Maggette in .000001 seconds flat.
richard
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#28 » by richard » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:35 pm

i think people are disappointed for a good reason, but they should have expected this. paxson is the one to blame much more than the players or the coaches. he is the one who has been stockpiling his high draft picks and at the same time trying to get the team to elite status. being an elite team and developing youth CANNOT happen at the same time, the two are mutually exclusive. paxson wants both and doesn't understand that it's never been done and cannot happen.

he has assembled a very flawed roster, is trying to be a top team in the conference, and trying to develop at least 3-4 young players. the coaches are only playing the veterans because benching 3 lottery lottery picks would have less repurcussions than benching a $60 million man who's accomplished a lot in the past.

i've been calling for paxson to trade his picks the last two drafts for a proven star, or at least a difference maker. but as usual, he sits on his hands.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#29 » by AirP. » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:45 pm

richard wrote:i think people are disappointed for a good reason, but they should have expected this. paxson is the one to blame much more than the players or the coaches. he is the one who has been stockpiling his high draft picks and at the same time trying to get the team to elite status. being an elite team and developing youth CANNOT happen at the same time, the two are mutually exclusive. paxson wants both and doesn't understand that it's never been done and cannot happen.

Better go look at what happened when Tim Duncan came into the league at the ripe age of 21.... winning a championship at age 22.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#30 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:54 pm

AirP. wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Better go look at what happened when Tim Duncan came into the league at the ripe age of 21.... winning a championship at age 22.

Tim Duncan is a different case and you know it. Duncan was one of the rare highly touted PF/C prospects, who barely come into the NBA anymore. NBA-Ready Franchise Big. And also he had another franchise-big around him in David Robinson.

You can't develop raw players and expect to be a great team at the same time, unless you have a superstar player on your team. It can't be done, and it's not possible without it. To me it seems like Paxson wants to do both, but everyone is looking at him dumbfounded, because you can't do both. They are as richard said, mutually exclusive. Do one or the other, not both.
JackFinn
RealGM
And1: 1,605

Post#31 » by JackFinn » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:05 pm

Ok, I've re-made up my mind. Having your blood boil over owners coaches and GM's who neglect long term vision and who are sorta fine with players going through insanely long slumps of sucktitude, will only, well, boil your blood. And that's not as much fun as not having your blood boil.

So, especially after thinking of past 9 years, the little I cared about winning now doesn't exist at all. It's all about the funzies. Play whomever the sh** ya effing feel like. Bench Deng, play Anthony goddamn Mason. Trade Noah for a delicious ice cream sandwich. Just show me something fun, like Wallace breaking his tailbone after airballing a dunk, or Hinrich accidentally spitting his moutpiece on a 3 month old baby in reaction to an hilarious Aaron Gray joke.

transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#32 » by transplant » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:17 pm

AirP. wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think Boylan sold Paxson on the idea that this team can get back into the hunt and Paxson has given him some time to prove it.

For EVERYONE saying that Tyrus must get past his relationship with Skiles and produce like a PRO instead of his inconsistent production.... it almost looks like EVERYONE had a problem with Skiles because everyone looks completely different since he left. They may be Pros but that doesn't mean a coach can't have a huge effect on how players play.

How Skiles was about HUSTLING and mistake free play... Boylan is into Vets and believing in them much more then rookies. It's just a different philosophy of coaching. Boylan is all over entitlement based on years in service... which doesn't always mean you put out the best team. It's not a bad way of going but it's a short term gain that is definitely going to hurt our future, if nothing more making us wait to become the team we can be through development of ALL our players.

Actually, I think Skiles came into this season coaching like he had a championship run in mind. He seemed to understand that in order to take the team to the next level, he needed to bring the youngsters along. Tyrus started the first 6 games. Once Noah got over his foot injury, Skiles played him. Sefolosha was given opportunities to show he belonged in the rotation.

Unfortunately, by late November, the season needed to be put on life support and the goal changed from pursuing a championship to getting to .500 and just making the playoffs. The risks that were taken early in the season in the hope of a long-term reward were put on the back burner...and they're still there. When the young guys are playing now, it's not so much for development, but because the coach thinks that player can help the team win THAT game.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Sonny_D1
Lead Assistant
And1: 218

Post#33 » by Sonny_D1 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:21 pm

transplant wrote:Actually, I think Skiles came into this season coaching like he had a championship run in mind. He seemed to understand that in order to take the team to the next level, he needed to bring the youngsters along.

I agree.

It's too bad he didn't take the same approach last year. He might still have a job.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#34 » by coldfish » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:24 pm

transplant wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually, I think Skiles came into this season coaching like he had a championship run in mind. He seemed to understand that in order to take the team to the next level, he needed to bring the youngsters along. Tyrus started the first 6 games. Once Noah got over his foot injury, Skiles played him. Sefolosha was given opportunities to show he belonged in the rotation.

Unfortunately, by late November, the season needed to be put on life support and the goal changed from pursuing a championship to getting to .500 and just making the playoffs. The risks that were taken early in the season in the hope of a long-term reward were put on the back burner...and they're still there. When the young guys are playing now, it's not so much for development, but because the coach thinks that player can help the team win THAT game.

I agree with that analysis.

That being said, the reason for the early struggles was not the young guys. As everyone pointed out, the team in general could not shoot. Beyond that, Ben, Ben, Kirk, etc. (the vets) played horrible.

Essentially, the team is now going with the vets because the vets sucked it up to start the season. Seems kind of . . . odd.
TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#35 » by TB#1 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:28 pm

The complaints about not playing the youngsterS is misplaced. Aaron Gray is a youngster and he's managed to find a place in the rotation. Joakim Noah is a youngster who increasingly is finding his way into the rotation. Thabo hasn't as much, but has managed to get in a little more of late.

Its really only Tyrus Thomas.

Some insist that he should get in there and get 30 minutes per night so he will get experience.

The question is -- why is it him and only him that has been stuck on the bench?

Is it two head coaches in a row unfairly picking on him?

Or is it, as Pippen said the other day, that the kid is great from the neck down?

Maybe it is TT that has to change some things BEFORE he is put back on the court for long stretches of time -- I think the blame is likely misplaced on the guys in the suits and not on the guy in the shorts.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#36 » by coldfish » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:37 pm

TB#1 wrote:The complaints about not playing the youngsterS is misplaced. Aaron Gray is a youngster and he's managed to find a place in the rotation. Joakim Noah is a youngster who increasingly is finding his way into the rotation. Thabo hasn't as much, but has managed to get in a little more of late.

Noah is leading all rookies in PER and also is leading the Bulls in that stat. He has been consistent every time he has played and fills at least one need with size in the frontcourt. Despite that, he has played 299 minutes in 30 games.

Even last night, despite being the best player on the team, he played less than 20 minutes.

Noah is personally the silver bullet for all the people clamoring for more time for the young guys because he is simply better than the people ahead of him and its pretty hard to argue that point. Tyrus has his baggage. Noah does not.

Edit add: Do I need to bump my "Its not about Tyrus, its about Noah" thread?
AirP.
RealGM

Post#37 » by AirP. » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:41 pm

TB#1 wrote:The complaints about not playing the youngsterS is misplaced. Aaron Gray is a youngster and he's managed to find a place in the rotation. Joakim Noah is a youngster who increasingly is finding his way into the rotation. Thabo hasn't as much, but has managed to get in a little more of late.

Its really only Tyrus Thomas.

Some insist that he should get in there and get 30 minutes per night so he will get experience.

The question is -- why is it him and only him that has been stuck on the bench?

Is it two head coaches in a row unfairly picking on him?

Or is it, as Pippen said the other day, that the kid is great from the neck down?

Maybe it is TT that has to change some things BEFORE he is put back on the court for long stretches of time -- I think the blame is likely misplaced on the guys in the suits and not on the guy in the shorts.

It's because he made mistakes with Skiles and he was usually pulled out quickly... yet the team seemed to play better when he was in the game making these mistakes. Also with a backcourt of Hinrich and Gordon, they didn't utilize his athletic ability.

I'm just a guy who believes you really don't learn until you've made mistakes. You can be told till someone's blue in the face but until you've actually made those mistakes you don't truly understand completely. I watch Tyrus make those spin moves from time to time in games and wonder to myself, do those moves work against who he's practicing with so he figures they'll work in the games? Does he not run the court because he's use to not even being looked at even when he's open? Had Noah went through last year like Tyrus did would his attitude still be the same?

Who knows, Tyrus is now upbeat for the most part on the bench which is a good sign, I would think a guy who is bucking the system by not doing what the coaches wants wouldn't be nearly as upbeat.

I hope that they know what they have in Tyrus and are just seeing what the others currently have this year, I mean how else can you explain Griffin in at mop up time and Tyrus getting a DNP?
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#38 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:41 pm

Huh? Noah's last 5 games...

6 minutes
0 minutes
17 minutes
4 minutes
18 minutes

Gray

How is that working into the rotation?

Pippen is a moron. Great player, but an idiot as a human being. He hasn't shown the ability to do anything when it comes to coaching or personnel. Until he does, his opinion has as much validity as **any of ours**

Lets not single out other posters....TB#1
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#39 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:46 pm

Pippen's right on that, Tyrus just doesn't get it. And it's a big reason why he just isn't a good basketball player. Basketball is about more than being able to jump high in the air.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#40 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:49 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:Pippen's right on that, Tyrus just doesn't get it. And it's a big reason why he just isn't a good basketball player. Basketball is about more than being able to jump high in the air.

Talk with Tyrus lately have we?
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston

Return to Chicago Bulls