Image ImageImage Image

This is going to be an incredibly boring season

Moderators: HomoSapien, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN

Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

This is going to be an incredibly boring season 

Post#1 » by Shill » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:32 am

For three reasons:

1) I don't expect any big trades, because the trade value of our key assets has hit a nadir. Unless we make a trade for the future (cap space, draft picks and/or developmental players), any trade we make would be woefully myopic. This team isn't going to contend no matter what realistic trade we make.

2) Our ceiling is the 2nd round of the playoffs, and that's if we are very very lucky. More than likely, we'll sneak in as a lower seed to play fodder for Boston or Detroit. On the flip side, we aren't going to be bad enough to get a franchise-changing lottery pick. Unless we get absurdly lucky, we're looking at a draft pick in the 12-18 range.

3) Paxson and Boylan will never give up on this season, so Tyrus and Joakim's development will remain a low priority. We'll be relegated to watching Ben Wallace show up twice a month, and watching Adrian Griffin play at all.

If you're a drinker, have some cold stuff on tap when the Bullies play. If you're not, now would be a good time to succumb to a new vice.

/breaks out some Grey Goose
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#2 » by jax98 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:52 am

I'll throw one thing into the loop.

Most fans at the UC are sitting on their hands because they're not seing the high-flying stuffs and dunks Tyrus makes. Obviously, dunking isn't everything. But it's very exciting, and makes you stop for a second and replay what you just saw in your head for about 30 times. That being followed by 30 times on YouTube the very next day.

IMO, if Tyrus got some playing time and returned to his high-flying ways, people will be more into the season as well. There's a lot of factors, but never underestimate gifted athletes who can sky.
SimonFish
General Manager
And1: 2,029

Post#3 » by SimonFish » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:35 am

yea, it sucks
JohnW
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Re: This is going to be an incredibly boring season 

Post#4 » by JohnW » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:37 am

Shill4Tyrus24 wrote:For three reasons:

1) I don't expect any big trades, because the trade value of our key assets has hit a nadir. Unless we make a trade for the future (cap space, draft picks and/or developmental players), any trade we make would be woefully myopic. This team isn't going to contend no matter what realistic trade we make.

2) Our ceiling is the 2nd round of the playoffs, and that's if we are very very lucky. More than likely, we'll sneak in as a lower seed to play fodder for Boston or Detroit. On the flip side, we aren't going to be bad enough to get a franchise-changing lottery pick. Unless we get absurdly lucky, we're looking at a draft pick in the 12-18 range.

3) Paxson and Boylan will never give up on this season, so Tyrus and Joakim's development will remain a low priority. We'll be relegated to watching Ben Wallace show up twice a month, and watching Adrian Griffin play at all.

If you're a drinker, have some cold stuff on tap when the Bullies play. If you're not, now would be a good time to succumb to a new vice.

The Goose? Try Taaka or Svedka.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,830

Post#5 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:43 am

Morten Jensen wrote:I'll throw one thing into the loop.

Most fans at the UC are sitting on their hands because they're not seing the high-flying stuffs and dunks Tyrus makes. Obviously, dunking isn't everything. But it's very exciting, and makes you stop for a second and replay what you just saw in your head for about 30 times. That being followed by 30 times on YouTube the very next day.

IMO, if Tyrus got some playing time and returned to his high-flying ways, people will be more into the season as well. There's a lot of factors, but never underestimate gifted athletes who can sky.

The fans arn't quiet because they arn't seeing high-flying dunks from Tyrus. Sure, they will cheer and get up off their seats when he does, but thats not the reason why they are so quiet. The reason is because the team is unpredictable and this season you never know which team will show up on any given night.

The fans rely on hustle, and hard work and they will cheer and support the team. This year, the hustle and effort have not been there consistently thus the fans havn't shown up consistently either. Having the flashy dunks helps, but they are short term fixes. They will cheer just as loudly when someone goes to the floor for a lose ball as they would for a high flying dunk. What this team needs to do to win back the fans is to put in the hard work and lay it out on the floor every single night, like were underdogs.
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 467

Post#6 » by Mr. Tibbs » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:49 am

kulaz3000 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The fans arn't quiet because they arn't seeing high-flying dunks from Tyrus. Sure, they will cheer and get up off their seats when he does, but thats not the reason why they are so quiet. The reason is because the team is unpredictable and this season you never know which team will show up on any given night.

The fans rely on hustle, and hard work and they will cheer and support the team. This year, the hustle and effort have not been there consistently thus the fans havn't shown up consistently either. Having the flashy dunks helps, but they are short term fixes. They will cheer just as loudly when someone goes to the floor for a lose ball as they would for a high flying dunk. What this team needs to do to win back the fans is to put in the hard work and lay it out on the floor every single night, like were underdogs.

eh i dn about that. I think many of the people that show up just aren't hardcore bulls fans or basketball fans. To a basketball freak like me..every posession is exciting and watchable. To an average person a basketball game can be as dragging as a baseball game is to me. I went to a game during the bulls biggest win streak 3 years ago (i think it was 11 games long?) and the crowd seemed about as lame then as it has this year (i've been to some crappy games including dallas and houston).
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
Bullsmaniac
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Bullsmaniac » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:52 am

At the rate we're going it's gonna take years to get back to the Finals.
Just missing the POs, making it but losing in the 1st round, no good draft picks as our core get older and older etc.

I posted this in the post game thread... it took Boston a very long time to be back into TRUE contenders even with Pierce all those years. The Lakers with Kobe will probably take a long time too with teams like Portland, Suns, etc in front of them but may not be as long as Boston took because Bynum is showing he is getting alot better while Kobe is still Kobe and still young enough.

The Bulls have more holes than we thought they had. The past 3 season and the beginning of this season, all we've been crying is a low post scorer. But the truth is we NEED a true PG, a tall guard.

That's gonna take a long time to get when you're not bad enough to get a quality draft pick that can come in and be a factor right away, when your players have low trade value (unless you have a fire sale and trade a bunch of them for one star).

I can see a team like Philly or even Miami surpassing the Bulls when they get their draft pick this summer.. why because they have a Wade or an Iquodala to team up with their pick. Who will the Bulls have? Kirk Hinrich?
Let's face it BG is as good as gne after this season. He won't be happy being a 6th man. Luol maybe, but he seems injury prone and he doesn't have the "take over mentality."

None of the teams with good big man Cs will trade their away either.

The Bulls will become the new Clippers. The owner is already cheap!

Bulls fans will be like Cub fans, we keep rooting for a losing team and before we know it years and years will pass by w/o a championship.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#8 » by Rerisen » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:27 am

Your being generous calling it merely 'boring'. It's more like painfully frustrating and irritating to watch season.

Boring was the Tim Floyd or Cartwright teams where you knew where the end lie and that there was no deviation possible.

But because of reason number 3 in your list, this season is worse than boring. There is an apparent different track available that may well be a shortcut forward for this team and we are not willing to take it. Instead we are taking the road well traveled. Which is a slow and winding one that we have gone down before except this year its even more overgrown and in disrepair. And it doesn't even end anywhere interesting. Just with a early fishing trip for the team in post-season.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Re: This is going to be an incredibly boring season 

Post#9 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:43 pm

Shill4Tyrus24 wrote:For three reasons:

I'm a Ketel One man myself, but other than that I agree with everything you've said.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#10 » by Shill » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:24 pm

Rerisen wrote:Boring was the Tim Floyd or Cartwright teams where you knew where the end lie and that there was no deviation possible.

The only reason those days weren't completely boring is we had the fledgling hope of a better tomorrow. It was a pleasant surprise when we got a win over a good team. A lot of us, maybe even most us, still had high hopes for the Three C's. We would get teased with scattered "big games" from them. Plus, we could also look forward to the draft: "Which big piece can we add to the puzzle?"

This year, it's not that big of a deal if we beat a good team. Been there done that. And we don't have a high pick on tap.

We have to do something to get out of this purgatory, but it's not going to happen during the next 51 games (more if we crawl into the playoffs).
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."

Return to Chicago Bulls