Image ImageImage Image

Noah Inactive Tonight, being disciplined

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Neusch23
Head Coach
And1: 59

Post#41 » by Neusch23 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:55 pm

Here is to hoping that Ron Adams and the rest of the staff continue to keep riding the players about missed assignments.

Noah is not as bad as some, as I watch them in the sets that I understand. With the exception of Tyrus no one on the team is as bad as Tyson or Eddy ever were, so I guess that is a bonus.

I just wish that they would hold all of the players accountable for positioning. Where a player is on the floor, if off by matters of a foot could make a huge difference in the productivity of the play at hand, and how well it translates into another play, or how they rotate back on D if there is a long rebound...which is common for a jump shooting team.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#42 » by coldfish » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:09 pm

Neusch23 wrote:Here is to hoping that Ron Adams and the rest of the staff continue to keep riding the players about missed assignments.

Noah is not as bad as some, as I watch them in the sets that I understand. With the exception of Tyrus no one on the team is as bad as Tyson or Eddy ever were, so I guess that is a bonus.

I just wish that they would hold all of the players accountable for positioning. Where a player is on the floor, if off by matters of a foot could make a huge difference in the productivity of the play at hand, and how well it translates into another play, or how they rotate back on D if there is a long rebound...which is common for a jump shooting team.

I agree. Ben Wallace needs to sit until he starts getting in the right position on defense. He is being incredibly lazy right now. He doesn't get into good position boxing out, he lets players get into the post easily and he isn't closing out on shooters.

Until our coaches grow some grapes and take care of the Wallace issue instead of picking on kids, we are going nowhere.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,131

Post#43 » by molepharmer » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:16 pm

If Boylan's gonna play good cop, somebody has to play bad cop. And if Noah was missing plays or out of position, it was warranted.
ikeziskash
Lead Assistant
And1: 158

Post#44 » by ikeziskash » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:52 pm

I don't want to be knee jerk but my knee jerk reaction is screw these assistants. I totally agree that they aren't developing players and certainly aren't watching tape to show our players how to defend 3 pt shooters.

My plan for the Bulls is to ditch the coaches and bring in a fresh new staff as well as trading the older dead weight players for youth and/or picks. Wallace, Griffin, Viktor and possibly Kirk need to go for a legit PG, a big SG or a post scorer.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#45 » by transplant » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:56 pm

Adams strikes me as being sort of old school. It's possible that Noah's unaccustomed to the coaching-by ridicule method.

Adams: Noah! That's the third time you've **** the same play! What are you stupid?

Noah: Don't ever call me stupid. I'm actually quite intelligent and worldly.

Adams: Really? If you're so **** intelligent, why do you keep playing like you've got your worldly head up your **** ass? Answer me that, genius.

Noah: I really don't appreciate being spoken to in this manner.

Adams: Appreciate this, Bozo. If you **** this set one more time, you're gonna hear some things that'll make "stupid" sound like a **** compliment. In the meantime, I'll be nice and just stick with that you're **** stupid.

Noah: You're a real ass, coach.

Adams to Boylan: Jim, are you going to **** let him talk to me that **** way?

Boylan: Joakim, sorry, but you're inactive tonight.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#46 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:57 pm

It;s interesting that in the last 10 years only one Bulls assistant was interviewed by a rival team for an open position. (That was Boylan by Indiana)

So over a 10 year period, with many openings, our rivals dont see enough ability in our assistants to even talk to them??? That must say something about the quality of guys we have.

I guess you get what you pay for.....
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
Neusch23
Head Coach
And1: 59

Post#47 » by Neusch23 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:38 pm

coldfish wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree. Ben Wallace needs to sit until he starts getting in the right position on defense. He is being incredibly lazy right now. He doesn't get into good position boxing out, he lets players get into the post easily and he isn't closing out on shooters.

Until our coaches grow some grapes and take care of the Wallace issue instead of picking on kids, we are going nowhere.

To me, yes, the assistant coach's and head coach are responsible for the players knowing the system. However, traditionally it is the leaders of the team that hold the players accountable.

When you have multiple coach's you have to have good cop and bad cop.

It appears right now the Jim is staying in the good cop role, and Adams might be more of the vocal, in your face, demanding coach, taking over for skiles.

I remember a couple of years ago, one of my favorite acquisitions that never worked out was when we brought in the Junk yard Dog.

He tried to be a vocal leader, he was smart, a product of Georgetown, and knew the system over night. Eddy and Tyson kept screwing things up....and this board gave JYD the third degree for being out spoken to our golden children.

We need that player now to hold Wallace accountable. To hold Noc accountable.

It doesn't always have to come from the players. Kirk should tell wallace that he needs him to front the dang post, that Smith or Tyrus has his back should a pass get to Wallace's man.

I could rant further, but that is my biggest beef with Wallace is when he makes choices for himself, and is allowed to get away with it. We still pay him, how hard should it be for him to be like everyone else. Be held to the same standard.

Here is where he would flourish with another player that is a very good leader, and why he did well playing with Billups.
BULLHITTER
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#48 » by BULLHITTER » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:53 pm

while this post touches on valid issues, what's glaring in it's omission, is what the crux of the problem is with the bulls in my view:

LEADERSHIP.

there are no strong personalities on this team; noah, might be the strongest, thomas second. however, being young and green there's not much either can do to impact the team psyche.
there isn't one player on the team that can get in wallace's face (or any other player) and demand his accountability. skiles couldn't even do it.

wallace's play has been borderline abysmal (and i'm being kind), yet the politics of his situation make it near impossible for the coaches to sit him, cajole him or anything else that might make him more productive and/or tradeable. this actually hurts wallace and the team.

noah's backlash at a coach only speaks to the idea that an outspoken baller is not something that's acceptable in this regime. however, the team and organization has ignored the tough-mindedness necessary to get this team to the next level. pax may be identifying it just now, but the horse might just be out the barn door. also, i do believe he identified it (lack of toughness) within curry and chandler, but mistakenly placed too much faith in the character, rather than the toughness of his remaining group.

i'm not certain if paxson could've ascertain any of the "core" group's leadership qualities upon drafting them, but for future reference in drafts and/or trades, leadership needs to be a determining factor in how and who is brought in. for all the likeablity of this group, they are all followers, which at crucial times during games this becomes painfully obvious as they continuously make mental mistakes, fail to rise to each other and make plays which ultimately has them in the position they are right now. i don't think it boils down completely to talent.

Return to Chicago Bulls