Image ImageImage Image

Mariotti: Are Bulls ready for Carlisle as coach?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Mariotti: Are Bulls ready for Carlisle as coach? 

Post#1 » by SportsWorld » Fri Apr 4, 2008 6:00 am

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti ... 08.article
I don't understand why, but Larry Brown would crawl on all fours to coach the Bulls. I don't understand why, but John Calipari would consider fleeing one of college basketball's cushiest jobs to coach the Bulls. I don't understand why, but some very big names don't care that the Bulls are stuck in NBA no-man's land with a title future dimmer than, uh, the coeds in Matt Leinart's hot tub.

Maybe it's because a quality coach senses he can be an instant hero here. Given the disturbing underachievement, the maddening lapses in effort and the undeniable fact that young talent remains on this roster, maybe Brown sees an opportunity to spin one final resurrection before retirement. Maybe Calipari realizes life might never be this sensational again at the University of Memphis, where his team is in the Final Four just weeks before Derrick Rose declares for the draft as the sport's next great point guard. Maybe these men trust their ability to make a team play hard, which wasn't a problem Thursday night in a surprising victory over LeBron James and the Cavaliers but has been an issue all season.

``They've packed it in, Chicago,'' Charles Barkley said at halftime on TNT. ``They're in the Bahamas already.''

Or, maybe Brown and Calipari think the statue outside the United Center will come alive, enter through Gate 3 1/2 and return as Jumpman.
myboyz33
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#2 » by myboyz33 » Fri Apr 4, 2008 1:58 pm

at this point who cares if they are ready or not. we need a change for next year, pronto.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#3 » by Ralphb07 » Fri Apr 4, 2008 2:02 pm

We should make a official coaching thread so we can have all the stories in one place, I have a feeling we will be getting a lot of articles on this now
Ralphb07
RealGM

Post#4 » by Ralphb07 » Fri Apr 4, 2008 2:04 pm

In the article it says that Brown has already contacted paxson thru a middle man. This job is a very attractive job and we should be able to get a good coach, as long as JR doesnt go cheap
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,663

Post#5 » by DuckIII » Fri Apr 4, 2008 2:09 pm

That article isn't half bad, actually. One question though:

Calipari, who would need significant say in basketball matters, is a Paxson guy?

What coach isn't going to need "significant say in basketball matters"? We aren't looking for a team physician here, we're looking for someone to coach the basketball team.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
waffle
RealGM
And1: 1,661
Location: Don't question the finger and do respect the black box. That is all.....

Post#6 » by waffle » Fri Apr 4, 2008 2:33 pm

Carlisle just makes too much sense.

I am holding out for JVG for some reason. I just always liked him as a coach.
emperorjones
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 133

Post#7 » by emperorjones » Fri Apr 4, 2008 4:24 pm

Van Gundy would be the enforcer on the floor that Ben Wallace was not.

Someone at the United Center needs to be.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#8 » by kyrv » Fri Apr 4, 2008 5:17 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:We should make a official coaching thread so we can have all the stories in one place, I have a feeling we will be getting a lot of articles on this now

I'm actually starting to feel inundated already and though this one flips it around in the title, same thing.

But then again, Jay knows a lot about basketball.
SWIFTSLICK
Banned User

Post#9 » by SWIFTSLICK » Fri Apr 4, 2008 6:48 pm

kyrv wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm actually starting to feel inundated already and though this one flips it around in the title, same thing.

Jay is a "sports journalist", what exactly does that have to do with basketball?

Interesting question from one of the biggest jackasses on the planet. The answer is NO, Jay. Thanks for playing. :banghead:
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#10 » by girlygirl » Fri Apr 4, 2008 7:28 pm

I don't want Carlisle. He's a boring coach who likes slow-down, grind-it out games. His teams have never been good offensively. And his players all seem to hate him -- they turned him out in Detroit and in Indiana.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,663

Post#11 » by DuckIII » Fri Apr 4, 2008 7:32 pm

girlygirl wrote:I don't want Carlisle. He's a boring coach who likes slow-down, grind-it out games. His teams have never been good offensively. And his players all seem to hate him -- they turned him out in Detroit and in Indiana.

His players did not turn him out in Detroit. He had a personality conflict with Dumars and the team's owner.

And in Indiana he was coaching the largest collection of puds in the NBA.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
pdenninggolden
Analyst
And1: 1

Carlisle 

Post#12 » by pdenninggolden » Fri Apr 4, 2008 8:15 pm

The NBA - Where Indiana houses the largest collection of puds.... :wink:
The NBA: Where DRose Happens!
"The problem with the world is that it draws the circle of the family too small."--Mother Theresa
God Rest the Souls of Norm VanLier and Johnny "Red" Kerr
derf
Starter

Post#13 » by derf » Fri Apr 4, 2008 8:16 pm

kyrv wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

that's sarcasm right? :D
derf
Starter

Post#14 » by derf » Fri Apr 4, 2008 8:19 pm

waffle wrote:Carlisle just makes too much sense.

I am holding out for JVG for some reason. I just always liked him as a coach.

Good call. That would be a win win either way.

As far as LB goes he deliberately damaged his own organization in NY, IMO. We have enough issues without him. Pass.
Ralphb07
RealGM

Post#15 » by Ralphb07 » Fri Apr 4, 2008 8:23 pm

Carlisle isnt a bad coach. People forget that what he did in Detroit was without Rasheed, and did damn good in Indy until all those injuries came

He isnt my first choice but you cant be upset if he was the choice

Return to Chicago Bulls