Image ImageImage Image

Avery Johnson

Moderators: HomoSapien, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23

RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#21 » by RyGuy24 » Sun May 4, 2008 9:04 pm

AirP. wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Nope, but how can you put your faith in a coach who hasn't had experience with a bad team? Anyone can look good as a coach with a very good team and that's what Dallas was, he would have had to really tried to screw up a team with that much talent to get them to not be good.

Well, who do you want as coach?

D'Antoni (my favorite as of now), has struggled badly whenever Nash was out of the lineup, so form what we can tell he struggles with a decent team (not even bad).

Thib has never even coached before, so he's in the same exact predicament.
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.
mr.ankle
Banned User
And1: 57

Post#22 » by mr.ankle » Sun May 4, 2008 9:08 pm

Neusch23 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He took them to the finals with the momentum that was created by Nelson. He then got out coached and beat by a much worse team. THen the next year the team plays great in the season, and then is out coached AGAIN in the playoffs....and that is before this year where they didn't play close to their potential.

I believe that Avery has a TON to learn about being a head coach...If he didn't have that crew, there is no way he is in the playoffs.

The Mavericks were totally underachieving when Nelson was there . The Trio of Nowitzki Nash and Finley should had at least made one NBA Finals Appearance when the Big 3 were in Dallas . Look how much there defense improved when Johnson took over Nelson . He also had key win by Beating the Spurs on the Road . And beating the Suns on the Road .I guess you can say he out coached Popovich and D'Antoni

The Heat had the best player on the court . Which was Dwyane Wade . A healthy Wade is a lot better than Dirk Nowitzki . Dwyane Wade Destroy the Pistons also .The Same thing goes for the New Orleans Series . Chris Paul is playing incredible . The Hornets are winning the series against the Spurs right now . The only series you can say he was really outcoached was the Golden State Series

But I rather have Johnson than a overrated Assistant Coach Tom Thibodeaux who has not proven **** yet as a head coach
Neusch23
Head Coach
And1: 59

Post#23 » by Neusch23 » Sun May 4, 2008 9:12 pm

RyGuy24 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well, who do you want as coach?

D'Antoni (my favorite as of now), has struggled badly whenever Nash was out of the lineup, so form what we can tell he struggles with a decent team (not even bad).

Thib has never even coached before, so he's in the same exact predicament.

I believe that he has struggled with Nash out because his offense is built around Nash...not so much as as strict offensive system, IMO.

Now, I am not going to pretend to be a Nash or PHX expert, but I have watched several of their games, and I see a big part of their offense as Nash creates the spacing for a shot by a player or for himself by his controlling of the ball. When he is out, they don't have a player of his quality to replace that... It is kinda a lack of a plan, but more of here is the ball Steve make something happen....it is soooo fast, and they shoot so quickly that you have to have a dominate PG.
RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#24 » by RyGuy24 » Sun May 4, 2008 9:13 pm

mr.ankle wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The Mavericks were totally underachieving when Nelson was there . The Trio of Nowitzki Nash and Finley should had at least made one NBA Finals Appearance when the Big 3 were in Dallas . Look how much there defense improved when Johnson took over Nelson . He also had key win by Beating the Spurs on the Road . And beating the Suns on the Road .I guess you can say he out coached Popovich and D'Antoni

The Heat had the best player on the court . Which was Dwyane Wade . A healthy Wade is a lot better than Dirk Nowitzki . Dwyane Wade Destroy the Pistons also .The Same thing goes for the New Orleans Series . Chris Paul is playing incredible . The Hornets are winning the series against the Spurs right now . The only series you can say he was really outcoached was the Golden State Series

But I rather have Johnson than a overrated Assistant Coach Tom Thibodeaux who has not proven **** yet as a head coach

Yes, the Mavericks should have won that series, but like I alluded to before GS hit an insane amount of contested 3's in that series. Not making excuses, but it still should be considered not likely to happen again.
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.
Neusch23
Head Coach
And1: 59

Post#25 » by Neusch23 » Sun May 4, 2008 9:15 pm

mr.ankle wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree with this 100%.

I respect your opinion, but I don't know how you could ignore the quality of team he has, and how little he did with it.

I don't think he is all that great, but unless we make a decision soon, anyone of quality will be gone.

I was hoping to get LB here, but oh well. Many disagreed with that, but I felt he was far and away the best option.
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#26 » by JeremyB0001 » Sun May 4, 2008 9:20 pm

mr.ankle wrote:But I rather have Johnson than a overrated Assistant Coach Tom Thibodeaux who has not proven **** yet as a head coach

Refusing to consider anyone without NBA coaching experience strikes me as incredibly stupid. Every successful NBA coach one landed a job without NBA coaching experience.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#27 » by sonny » Sun May 4, 2008 9:30 pm

JeremyB0001 wrote:Refusing to consider anyone without NBA coaching experience strikes me as incredibly stupid. Every successful NBA coach one landed a job without NBA coaching experience.

The guy we're talking about in this thread was an assistant for a year and a half.

The whole no experience thing makes no sense when the guys we want (Carlisle, Casey, Avery) were assistant coaches
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#28 » by JeremyB0001 » Sun May 4, 2008 9:38 pm

sonny wrote:The guy we're talking about in this thread was an assistant for a year and a half.

The whole no experience thing makes no sense when the guys we want (Carlisle, Casey, Avery) were assistant coaches

Even less, I think it was only 3/4ths of a season.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#29 » by sonny » Sun May 4, 2008 9:41 pm

JeremyB0001 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Even less, I think it was only 3/4ths of a season.

Johnson became a player-coach for a bit, he was like the 12th 13th man on the team.
HitMan52
Starter
And1: 33

Post#30 » by HitMan52 » Sun May 4, 2008 11:07 pm

sonny wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Johnson became a player-coach for a bit, he was like the 12th 13th man on the team.

I think Brian Shaw was the same way on his last years as a player.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,904

Post#31 » by dougthonus » Mon May 5, 2008 12:39 am

I don't think he is all that great, but unless we make a decision soon, anyone of quality will be gone.

Only one other team is presently looking for a head coach. The New York Knicks. I think the candidate pool will open up rather than shrink once the playoff teams drop off and some of the assistants become available.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,798

Post#32 » by DuckIII » Mon May 5, 2008 1:21 am

I agree with doug. I'd also note that in addition to playoff coaches, for example, that one of my favorite candidates - Duane Casey - will likely be very much in play.

The only downside to patience is if you've identified your guy but drag your feet. That doesn't appear to be the case here for my beloved Bulls.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Return to Chicago Bulls