Image ImageImage Image

#9 for Conley

Moderators: HomoSapien, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23

Would you deal #9 for Conley

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 55

The ROY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#41 » by The ROY » Mon May 5, 2008 12:58 pm

TeamMan wrote:Didn't read through everything, but because Conley was picked #4 there is no way that Memphis would accept the #9 pick.

They drafted Pau @ #4 and traded him for a bag of chips and a grape pop....

I doubt where they were 'drafted' matters any, if @ all.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#42 » by TNBT » Mon May 5, 2008 12:59 pm

Where a player was drafted isn't much of an indicator of what they are worth. Gilbert Arenas and Michael Redd were 2nd round picks, but I'm sure everyone here knows that they're worth at least a 1st round pick in a trade.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,903

Post#43 » by dougthonus » Mon May 5, 2008 1:14 pm

Redd, Gilbert, and Pau are unreasonable targets when talking about draft value.

Memphis drafted Conley at 4 LAST year. Most teams aren't going to cut back with a draft choice that high after 1 season.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
The ROY
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by The ROY » Mon May 5, 2008 1:20 pm

dougthonus wrote:Redd, Gilbert, and Pau are unreasonable targets when talking about draft value.

Memphis drafted Conley at 4 LAST year. Most teams aren't going to cut back with a draft choice that high after 1 season.

isn't the whole point about if they GET Rose...then they could trade Conley for the #9? That doesn't seem very far-fetched at all.

They pick up a franchise PG & possible another cornerstone with our pick
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#45 » by Red Larrivee » Mon May 5, 2008 1:24 pm

Jello Biafra wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Sorry for letting a little math get in the way of perception, but:

Carl Landry. 2007 2nd round pick. 31st overall. 8.1 ppg, 61% fgp, 5 rpg, in 17 minutes per game.

Joakim Noah. 9th pick 2007. 6.6 ppg, 48% fgp, 5.6 rpg, in 21 minutes per game.

Who was the more effective player?

Now, I'm not saying the Bulls need or want Carl Landry. I just don't see anyone at #9 in next years weaker draft being more productive.

And Houston would gladly take the #9 pick, and not look back.

It would be a bad trade. The #9 pick has way more value than Carl Landry, who brings nothing new to this team.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#46 » by dougthonus » Mon May 5, 2008 1:28 pm

isn't the whole point about if they GET Rose...then they could trade Conley for the #9? That doesn't seem very far-fetched at all.

Not sure how this is related to what I said.

People claimed a bunch of 7-8 year veterans weren't traded for value relative to where they were drafted as evidence that draft position is not related to trade value.

I just said those examples are completely erroneous and unrelated to this discussion. The further away from the draft you get, the less draft position means. Conley's only been in the league 1 year. His draft position still determines much of his value.

I'm not saying whether Memphis would do the deal or not, but am merely pointing out a poor argument about his valuation not being connected to his draft position.
@doug_thonus on twitter
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,796

Post#47 » by DuckIII » Mon May 5, 2008 2:30 pm

anorexorcism wrote:He's ass?? Oh really? Just curious, how many grizzlies games did you watch? Thanks.

I don't know. About 10 maybe? And none of those ten impacted the opinion I formed of him in college - and I watched him plenty there.

I didn't say he's "ass" as an NBA player in general. I said he's ass as "a high lottery pick point guard." He's more of a late first round talent like his running mate Kyle Lowry.

On Conley:

(a) He's really, really short. I've come to realize that unless you are Chris Paul or Allen Iverson, this is more important than I once believed it was.

(b) He's super fast. No doubt about it.

(c) His court vision, which I've seen at least one poster drool over in this thread, is mediocre. He's got Devin Harris style court vision. Adequate for a point guard, but unlike a Chris Paul, inadequate to overcome his size issues. He's tolerable at taking care of the ball with his passes, like Hinrich, but lacks unique creativity with his vision - also like Hinrich.

(c) He can't shoot. Again, this is something that can overcome poor size. But with him it amplifies his size problem. Moreover, it allows the defender to sag on him in the half court which mitigates his ability to use his speed effectively.

(d) He's a poor defender. Its not that he can't stay in front of his man, but his instincts in general are not unique and his stature makes it easy to shoot over him and his lack of Ben Gordon-ish strength makes it easy to back him down.

Kid doesn't suck. But he's like Rajan Rondo without the size, rebounding, and defense or TJ Ford without the creativity and court vision. Not the stuff of a high lottery pick. First round pick? Sure. But I literally laughed when I saw him racing up the draft boards and heard that Jerry West had locked in on him for the 4th pick.

If I'm going to take a young, short, lightening quick point guard, I'm at least going to take one that can score (Augustin) or defend (Westbrook - though he's not short).

Would I be interested in Conley if we made a bunch of other moves that left a hole at point guard? Yes. But would I want him rather than just filling that role with the 9th pick? No.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Tbone23
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#48 » by Tbone23 » Mon May 5, 2008 2:53 pm

I would rather have Lowry than Conley.
Bosh has trademarked the name Homo Ostrich in order to prevent announcers and fans from using it to describe his game.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,701

Post#49 » by nitetrain8603 » Mon May 5, 2008 2:59 pm

Mr. Kite wrote:Westbrook projects as a better player.

How so? He can't play PG at all. He's an undersized two. If you watched most of UCLA's games, he gets most of his points off fastbreak points. He's going to be a SG in the league in which we're stacked at. His defense is pretty good, but he's not a good creator. He brings nothing really.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#50 » by Dieselbound&Down » Mon May 5, 2008 4:16 pm

dougthonus wrote:We have a better chance of drafting 10th than drafting 1-3.

Dougie-downer. Why do you have to phrase it like that?

Why can't you just say that, regardless of the odds, the Bulls would be a lot better off drafting 1-3 than drafting 10th.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,796

Post#51 » by DuckIII » Mon May 5, 2008 4:18 pm

Dieselbound&Down wrote:Dougie-downer. Why do you have to phrase it like that?

Why can't you just say that, regardless of the odds, the Bulls would be a lot better off drafting 1-3 than drafting 10th.

Doug is always truthing stuff up with facts and data, damnit.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
girlygirl
RealGM

Post#52 » by girlygirl » Mon May 5, 2008 4:26 pm

Main Event wrote:I'd only do this if we hired D'Antoni as our coach. If not I wouldn't do this trade at all.

I'm not a fan of Conley, I really don't see him being that good of a point gaurd in the league. But if he will be anything special in this league, it will be in an offense that is run similar to the Suns.

Conley is already IN an offense based directly on D'Antoni's system. Marc Iavaroni was an assistant coach under D'Antoni. Conley showe no special talent at running that system this past year, although (A) he was a rookie and (B) he was injured a lot, so it's unfair to judge him just off his rookie season.

Personally, I wasn't overly impressed with him at Ohio State. As a PG, he mostly gave the ball to Oden o in th post or passed it to Cook on the perimeter -- I didn't see a whole lot of actual creativity. When Oden was hurt, Conley was much more of a scorer than he was a playmaker. He is fast, but he is very small -- and unless you have Chris Paul's or Allen Iverson's talents, being that small will likely keep one from ever being a great NBA player. Small PGs can be good NBA players, but unless they are super talented, it just seems much harder for them to become great players. And I don't see Conley as super talented.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#53 » by dougthonus » Mon May 5, 2008 4:38 pm

I didn't know that part needed to be said as it seemed pretty straight forward. :lol:

I'm going to go with the odds myself and just assume 9th though. Not that I won't be glued to my TV on the lotto drawing night.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#54 » by Dieselbound&Down » Mon May 5, 2008 4:43 pm

I agree with the opinion that Conley is not super talented. He is very small which continues to be an issue for the current roster. I do like that he is a leader but, unless he is productive, that doesn't mean much. He could end up being a Speedy Claxton type player and will be in the league for some time, but I don't see him as an answer.

Will the 9th player picked in this draft amount to more than Conley? Doubtful, so I would probably do the trade but I guess I don't see it being a big step for the franchise.
JeffJordan
Junior

Post#55 » by JeffJordan » Mon May 5, 2008 8:54 pm

Of course I would! BUT NO WAY IN #$%@ does Memphis do it. Seriously, some people in here voted "No". Give me a break. What was Conley, like the 3rd pick last year and has a ton of potential. They would give him up for a #9 pick??? LOL

Uhhh... yeah.
JeffJordan
Junior

Post#56 » by JeffJordan » Mon May 5, 2008 8:55 pm

JeremyB0001 wrote:With no hesitation whatsoever.

We finally agree! No doubt.
hard49
Banned User

Post#57 » by hard49 » Mon May 5, 2008 9:06 pm

Conley=Duhon or Speedy Claxton...funny stuff!!!

This is turning out to be some classic stuff.

I find it hilarious that people don't think he was really productive as a rookie.

By the end of next season, you guts will be wishing for a Conley like PG.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#58 » by DanTown8587 » Mon May 5, 2008 9:34 pm

Here is the fundamental problem with this poll: If Conley is as good as the pro-Conley guys are saying, then there is no way the pick is enough to get him. And for the con-Conley guys, they have mostly said that Conley has not proven enough that we trade a pick for him and move Kirk (a necessary move to bring Conley in).
RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#59 » by RyGuy24 » Mon May 5, 2008 9:39 pm

DT, if we sign D'Antoni you should add an apostraphe in front of the A in Dan and add an i after town 8)
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.

Return to Chicago Bulls