Image ImageImage Image

Kriegel: D'Antoni's Decesion to Leave is Puzzling

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

KwaZulu
Junior
And1: 14

Kriegel: D'Antoni's Decesion to Leave is Puzzling 

Post#1 » by KwaZulu » Mon May 12, 2008 10:30 pm

That's the title of an article by the Fox Sports coulumnist. And he has some interesting zingers, especially as Kreigel admits he is a Knicks fan and preferred Mark Jackson to be coach. The article is at http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8127972?MSNHPHMA

Some parts include:

"There are only two reasons for D'Antoni to have done this deal. First, the money. Second, he no longer believes he can win with the Phoenix Suns. And if I'm in Walsh's position, that bothers me.

I don't care if Steve Nash and Shaquille O'Neal are getting old. They're still Steve Nash and Shaquille O'Neal. Same for Grant Hill. There's also Boris Diaw, 26, Leandro Barbosa, 25, and Amare Stoudemire, also 25, who just happens to be the most talented big man in the game. A basketball man has all that, and he leaves to coach the Knicks of Stephon Marbury and Zach Randolph?"

"It has long been fashionable to bemoan the ugly '90s style powerball (ironically, it was the guy with the prettiest-ever game, Michael Jordan, who did more for isolation offense and bruising defenses than even Pat Riley and Chuck Daly). Everybody likes to see teams run and gun. But if such a scheme were really the basis for a championship, the And1 traveling squad would be in the Finals every year. Now as ever
BULLHITTER
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#2 » by BULLHITTER » Mon May 12, 2008 10:59 pm

I fear Mike D'Antoni will come by this knowledge the hard way. There's a reason the Knicks have to outbid everybody. At the Garden, six mill per isn't what it's cracked up to be."

coupled with the fact that they haven't won in 35 years, have always been PR minded in their dealings, hired the "venerable" donnie walsh (i respect him, but what rings did he orchestrate?)

that last quote bears a solemn AMEN..... :clap:

EDIT; it doesn't in any way shape or form, however, absolve the bulls from not closing the deal; it just further underscores my personal belief that things are not always as they are perceived, rumored or "factually" reported.
pdenninggolden
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#3 » by pdenninggolden » Mon May 12, 2008 11:31 pm

It sounds like D'Antoni is very controlling and Steve Kerr was too controlling for him and JR and JP were also too controlling for him. Donnie Walsh seems both overly-generous and non-controlling.
The NBA: Where DRose Happens!
"The problem with the world is that it draws the circle of the family too small."--Mother Theresa
God Rest the Souls of Norm VanLier and Johnny "Red" Kerr
KwaZulu
Junior
And1: 14

Post#4 » by KwaZulu » Tue May 13, 2008 12:27 am

The line I found most damning was when Kriegel said, "There are only two reasons for D'Antoni to have done this deal. First, the money. Second, he no longer believes he can win with the Phoenix Suns. And if I'm in Walsh's position, that bothers me."
pdenninggolden
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#5 » by pdenninggolden » Tue May 13, 2008 12:44 am

KwaZulu wrote:The line I found most damning was when Kriegel said, "There are only two reasons for D'Antoni to have done this deal. First, the money. Second, he no longer believes he can win with the Phoenix Suns. And if I'm in Walsh's position, that bothers me."

Money is a great deal-maker.
The NBA: Where DRose Happens!
"The problem with the world is that it draws the circle of the family too small."--Mother Theresa
God Rest the Souls of Norm VanLier and Johnny "Red" Kerr

Return to Chicago Bulls