Image ImageImage Image

KC Johnson: Bulls Coaching Decision Imminent

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, coldfish, RedBulls23, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, dougthonus, Ice Man, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,022

KC Johnson: Bulls Coaching Decision Imminent 

Post#1 » by dougthonus » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:07 pm

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... 9494.story

Chuck Person, Dwane Casey and Vinny Del Negro have been told a decision on the Bulls' coaching job is imminent, according to sources close to all three candidates.

Those three interviewed last week
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dkg1
Starter
And1: 21

Post#2 » by dkg1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:10 pm

Is Pax going to bring the three candidates in and have a game of HORSE to decide who our next coach is?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#3 » by dougthonus » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:20 pm

If so, my money is on the rifleman.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#4 » by dougthonus » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:21 pm

Of course, by any other metric, I'm thinking it will be Casey.
@doug_thonus on twitter
JOHN
General Manager
And1: 90

Post#5 » by JOHN » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:24 pm

I say Pete Myers or Bill Berry.

Wait :roll: WTF?A decision iminent?

Meaning a decision will be made sometime in July.
Remember remember the 1st of April.......
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#6 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:33 pm

Don't forget that there is a MAJOR character problem with Casey.

The Bulls usually dont want guys with skeletons in closet.

The problem:

Casey's coaching career was nearly derailed by an infamous incident in 1988. When he worked as an assistant coach at Kentucky under Eddie Sutton, an Emery Express envelope addressed to the father of recruit Chris Mills broke open en route and was found to contain $1,000 in $50 bills.

Casey's name was on the return address and he took the fall for the incident, but he maintained his innocence and settled a $6.9 million lawsuit against Emery.

The so-called "Mills and Bills Affair" forced Casey to essentially spend five years in exile, coaching in Japan. He returned in 1995, joining George Karl's staff in Seattle. Casey later spent four years as a Sonics associate head coach under Nate McMillan.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=203469&src=150
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
Bull Shak
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#7 » by Bull Shak » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:42 pm

I am hoping this is BS, and that Paxson was able to have talks with Thibo, Avery, and JVG that slipped under the media radar.
http://www.dabullz.com home to the Bulls' encyclopedia.
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,397

Post#8 » by Hangtime84 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:46 pm

Bull Shak wrote:I am hoping this is BS, and that Paxson was able to have talks with [b]Thibo[/b]

+1 on bolded part.

Media doesn't know what's going on. Imminent could mean 2 weeks! I'm gonna start wearing that boston beat LA sig hoping Boston will sweep
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Bull Shak
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#9 » by Bull Shak » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:55 pm

Hangtime84 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

+1 on bolded part.

Media doesn't know what's going on. Imminent could mean 2 weeks! I'm gonna start wearing that boston beat LA sig hoping Boston will sweep

Chicago media has become completely irresponsible. I know not every writer is being irresponsible, but Marriotti, KC Johnson, and the other daily guys. They had D'Antonio and Collins as done deals, and they have the Bulls taking Derrick Rose already...like they know.

I am not buying this crap. These knuckleheads are completely clueless on what's going on. The media only knows these three guys because they keep seeing them around the Berto, while with guys like Avery/Thibo, I don't think it is too farfetched that they have had a secret meeting, or agreed to just do the interview process completely on phone / apple video press conference for privacy sakes.

I just can't believe we would hire one of these three guys when Avery Johnson, Flip Saunders, Jeff Van Gundy, Kurt Rambis, and Tom Thibodeau are all without coaching jobs. It should also be included that Mike D'Antoni, Doug Collins, Larry Brown, and Rick Carlisle were also available during this process, and we're not coming away with them.

Look that, 9 hot coaching candidates that were available this summer, and we may end up with Person/Casey/Del Negro. This was one of the best summers to lock up a new coach with so many good and great ones available....but looks like Chicago is going to lose out.
http://www.dabullz.com home to the Bulls' encyclopedia.
dkg1
Starter
And1: 21

Post#10 » by dkg1 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 1:56 pm

JOHN wrote:I say Pete Myers or Bill Berry.

Wow, Pax sure is putting on an extensive coaching search if he's interviewing the drummer of REM!
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:08 pm

I just can't believe we would hire one of these three guys when Avery Johnson, Flip Saunders, Jeff Van Gundy, Kurt Rambis, and Tom Thibodeau are all without coaching jobs. It should also be included that Mike D'Antoni, Doug Collins, Larry Brown, and Rick Carlisle were also available during this process, and we're not coming away with them.

I have no interest in Avery Johnson or Flip Saunders. I'd love Van Gundy, but he's said he doesn't want the job. I can't say that Kurt Rambis is really any better a candidate than Casey, Del Negro or Person. He's a long time Laker's assistant who didn't fair too well when he had the head coaching job. I'd at least like to interview Thibodeau though.

We're the only team without a head coach. None of these candidates are going anywhere. I'm not sure why you don't wait until the playoffs are over and interview Thibodeau / Shaw / Rambis.
@doug_thonus on twitter
lostonbase
Starter
And1: 280

Post#12 » by lostonbase » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:13 pm

dougthonus wrote:If so, my money is on the rifleman.

It'd probably more money than Reinsdorf is throwing at them.

I am not sure what is the biggest common dominator between the 3 candidates, their lack of experience or is it the fact they will work cheap.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#13 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:14 pm

According to some press reports, Paxson has spoken to Rambis & Shaw.
Of course, we dont know if these guys are reporting or guessing

All reports seem to agree that Avery, Flip, JVG & Thibo have not been interviewed> As mentioned above - Bulls apparently have no interest in first 2, JVG has no interest in job, & Thibo is wild card

We are not only team without a coach - Detroit is open (although rumors are that they will hire Curry)
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#14 » by dougthonus » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:17 pm

We are not only team without a coach - Detroit is open (although rumors are that they will hire Curry)

I had thought they already locked up Curry, but I suppose I was jumping the gun. Given that Curry is under contract with them already, they can be patient and see if they want to interview anyone else without losing him though.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Addicted123
Starter
And1: 22

Post#15 » by Addicted123 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:40 pm

Bull Shak wrote:I just can't believe we would hire one of these three guys when Avery Johnson, Flip Saunders, Jeff Van Gundy, Kurt Rambis, and Tom Thibodeau are all without coaching jobs. It should also be included that Mike D'Antoni, Doug Collins, Larry Brown, and Rick Carlisle were also available during this process, and we're not coming away with them.

It's all about the $$$$$$. Rein$dorf is still on the hook for Skiles. The smart money says it will be a coach with little experience who can be brought it fairly cheap.
Jay Mariotti
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#16 » by Jay Mariotti » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:42 pm

Jerry forcing Paxson to hire a Cheap Coach.
bobsampson
Banned User

Post#17 » by bobsampson » Sun Jun 8, 2008 2:54 pm

lol... We did an excellent job in our coaching search... If they know who its gonna be why more waiting to tell us?? This is a joke
Jay Mariotti
Banned User

Post#18 » by Jay Mariotti » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:01 pm

Well, whoever is this no name coach will probaly have the young Bulls blow him off, and send the 1st round wanting to be traded from the madness that the Chicago Bulls. :banghead:
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#19 » by Ralphb07 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:18 pm

You would think it's going to be Casey, so I'm saying it's not him based on that.

I read in one of the articles that Paxson spoke to Del Negro yesterday on the phone.

I hope something breaks sometime today or early tomorrow
pdenninggolden
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#20 » by pdenninggolden » Sun Jun 8, 2008 3:38 pm

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:Don't forget that there is a MAJOR character problem with Casey.

The Bulls usually dont want guys with skeletons in closet.

The problem:

Casey's coaching career was nearly derailed by an infamous incident in 1988. When he worked as an assistant coach at Kentucky under Eddie Sutton, an Emery Express envelope addressed to the father of recruit Chris Mills broke open en route and was found to contain $1,000 in $50 bills.

Casey's name was on the return address and he took the fall for the incident, but he maintained his innocence and settled a $6.9 million lawsuit against Emery.

The so-called "Mills and Bills Affair" forced Casey to essentially spend five years in exile, coaching in Japan. He returned in 1995, joining George Karl's staff in Seattle. Casey later spent four years as a Sonics associate head coach under Nate McMillan.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=203469&src=150

He maintained his innocence...where have I heard that line before? He sounds like a natural for the Bulls. :wink:
The NBA: Where DRose Happens!
"The problem with the world is that it draws the circle of the family too small."--Mother Theresa
God Rest the Souls of Norm VanLier and Johnny "Red" Kerr

Return to Chicago Bulls